Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I personally really enjoyed it, but would it be fair to label Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them a flop? It's made considerably less money than anything else in the Harry Potter franchise, and it had four sequels greenlit before it was even released, so expectations were clearly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

BvS finished 6th for the year, and that's only because the year ended before Rogue One pulled ahead of it.

I also think it's fairly plausible, though by no means certain, that Moana will knock Suicide Squad out of the top ten some time in the next few months. It's still trucking along, and it has a staggered foreign release schedule, so we really have no idea how much it'll make in quite a few territories.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It was already pretty clear, but it's now official that Disney had all five of the top five highest grossing films of 2016.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber posted:

What chart are you looking at that doesn't have Secret Life of Pets at #4?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2016&p=.htm

Worldwide, not domestic.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, Disney's domestic gross in 2016 is also pretty special. It's the first time at least since 1913 (the earliest year I could get hard data on), and possibly the first time in the history of film, that the highest-grossing three films within a year within the United States were all distributed by the same company.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

How is Mermaid grossing that much money

It was big in its home country, which was China, and nowhere else. :shrug:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Meanwhile the highest grossing film of 2017 is currently Underworld: Blood Wars. :v:

The Great Wall, actually, going by the same standard. Wonder how long it'll stay in the top ten.

EDIT: Actually nevermind this is bullshit

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It easily is, but it was also the first one to stop slavishly adapting every minute detail of the book, so Potter fans got really mad at the time

They weren't slavishly adapting every minute detail before; they cut Peeves out starting in the first movie and they cut the Deathday party from the second movie and and and :argh:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_franchises_and_film_series

Franchises on this list that are having new entries in 2017:

1. MCU (Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok)
3. Star Wars (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)
6. Batman (The Lego Batman Movie)
7. X-Men (Logan)
8. Spider-Man (Spider-Man: Homecoming)
9. The Fast And The Furious (The Fate Of The Furious)
10. Transformers (Transformers: The Last Knight)
11. Pirates Of The Carribean (Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales)
19. Despicable Me (Despicable Me 3)
22. DC Extended Universe (Wonder Woman, Justice League)

So, how do you think this list is going to change over the course of the year?

Unless The Last Jedi severely underwhelms, Star Wars will definitely overtake Harry Potter. It's clear that nothing is surpassing Middle Earth; that's simply not within even the most optimistic projection for anything beneath it. Entries 6-11 are basically getting scrambled; I suspect Batman will stay ahead of X-Men because I find it overwhelmingly likely that Lego Batman won't fall $304 million behind Logan. I also suspect that Spider-Man will surpass X-Men and perhaps Batman, though I'm less sure of that; Spider-Man: Homecoming is definitely one of my picks to make over a billion dollars this year. Despicable Me and the DCEU will both obviously jump many places whether their entries this year succeed or fail; we'll just have to see whether it's a little or a lot.

Fifty Shades Of Grey will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Fifty Shades Darker makes a little over 1.5 billion dollars, three times as much as its predecessor. This is exceedingly unlikely. King Kong will likewise make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kong: Skull Island makes 1.5 billion dollars - three times as much as the 2005 remake. Kong: Skull Island will also take Universal's "MonsterVerse" (:barf:) to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.7 billion dollars. Thankfully this is all also exceedingly unlikely. Smurfs will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Smurfs: The Lost Village makes 1.3 billion dollars (about four times the revenue of The Smurfs 2) but this will almost certainly not happen - for one thing, Sony doesn't seem very intent on promoting it. Guardians Of The Galaxy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.5 billion dollars, about double the original - this is at least vaguely realistic, as it now has a built-in audience that didn't exist the first time around. Alien will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Alien: Covenant makes 1 billion dollars, two and a half times what Prometheus made. Unlikely. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Long Haul makes 2 billion dollars, twenty six times the revenue of Dog Days. This is basically guaranteed to happen. The Mummy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Mummy (2017) makes 800 million dollars, a little under double the most profitable movie, The Mummy Returns. This is vaguely realistic (because of inflation) but unlikely. Cars will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Cars 3 makes 1.2 billion dollars, more than double 2011's Cars 2. I would definitely not bet on that one. Amityville will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Amityville: The Awakening makes 2.1 billion dollars. Uh huh. Planet Of The Apes will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if War For The Legend Of The Ape Planet's Gold makes 600 million dollars; this is strikingly likely as 2014's entry, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, made 710 trillion dollars. Lego will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie make more than 1.8 billion dollars in sum. Supremely unlikely, but I'm not going to rule it out. Annabelle will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Annabelle 2 makes 2 billion dollars, less than eight times the original! No. The Nut Job will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature makes 2.1 billion dollars. Kill me. Flatliners will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Flatliners 2 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Blade Runner will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Blade Runner 2049 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. My Little Pony will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if My Little Pony: The Movie makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Kingsman will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kingsman 2: Kingsman Queensman makes 1.8 billion dollars, or four and a half times its predecessor's revenue. Kill. Me. Friday The 13th will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Friday The 13th (2009) (2017) makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. Insidious will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Insidious Chapter 4 makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. The Franchise Between Us will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Space Between Us and The Mountain between us make more than 2.2 billion dollars in sum. Jumanji will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Jumanji (Are They Going To Add A Subtitle To That) makes 2 billion dollars. Pitch Perfect will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Pitch Perfect 3 makes 1.8 billion dollars. The Ring will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Rings makes 1.8 billion dollars. John Wick will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if John Wick: Chapter Two makes 2.2 billion dollars. Trainspotting will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Terminator 2: Judgment Day makes 2.2 billion dollars. Table will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Table 19 makes 2.2 billion dollars.

:v:

:regd08: :catdrugs: :downsbravo:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
IDK, I think it would be possible to do cool things with the Joker, it's just that no one's doing them. I have a whole movie in my head for an alternate Batman continuity, told from the point of view of a Joker who's just a normal guy trying to convince Batman to stop being an armed vigilante. He's a single father whose son gets sent to the hospital as collateral damage from the Batman/Killer Croc fight at the end of the previous movie, so he decides that Batman needs to be taught a lesson about the importance of the law. He adopts the Joker persona essentially as a parody of Batman's persona, to convince him through a reductio ad absurdum argument that it's a bad idea to set a precedent that people run around in funny costumes at night beating people up. Batman doesn't get it, and the Joker gets consumed by his satirical performance, gradually transforming from a deeply concerned citizen to, well, the Joker as people generally know him.

This is, incidentally, the middle of a Batman trilogy I have in mind. The first installment is an alternate Batman origin wherein the Penguin actually came up with the concept of Batman, but was too unhealthy to do it himself, so he established a convoluted conspiracy to plant the idea in Bruce Wayne's mind by killing his parents among other things. And the third installment involves an alternate version of Bane who's just a really psychotic and pathetic alt-righter billionaire who fetishizes Batman's "get jacked up and beat up criminals" schtick, and wants to blow up the moon to cause an apocalypse so that strong vigilantes can become the lords of a new feudalist civilization.

TIA for reading my fanfiction

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a movie where Batman uncovers more and more of a horrible plot that threatens to first kill or harm dozens of random people, to hundreds, then finally thousands in increasingly warped and psychotic ways as the movie goes on, but Batman can't seem to find exactly how or what this "Joker" is planning. Finally, at the climax and increasingly desperate, Batman comes face to face with the Joker in front of the world as the media copters shine a light down. Batman steps forward to attack the Joker, triggering a pressure plate in the street. A gigantic whoopie cushion lets out the world's greatest fart. No one was ever in any danger except the "gangsters" he paid to be in on it (sorry about your arm Bob Batman's pretty hosed up) the Joker just wanted to punk Batman really hard and then did. The End

e: The post-credits scene shows Clark Kent in the helicopter laughing and a flashback of Superman helping out the Joker with other parts of it because Christ, Batman's an rear end in a top hat.

NGL this would be pretty cool

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Man, that's nothing; Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) had an affair while his wife (who also wrote children's books) was dying of cancer. She committed suicide when she found out. When you hear about his widow, that's his mistress, who he married less than a year afterwards. Incidentally, she was also married at the time of the affair.

:smuggo:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

Seltzerberg (Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer) are back in Star Wars form:

I know that, like, parody is allowed and poo poo, but I feel like Disney might have something to say about this title.

Also, please send Seltzerberg one million home video copies of Spaceballs, and rub their faces in them until they accept that they will never be able to make anything remotely comparable

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I think they're probably going to bite off more than they can chew at some point with their live action adaptations, but apparently it's not happening yet.

Probably Tim Burton's Dumbo Featuring Will Smith.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still pissed off that there's no full Queen cover of New York, New York. That poo poo was wonderfully deranged.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So is 100 Shades gonna make enough money that they don't regret the decision of planning the entire trilogy at once? Or is 150 Shades gonna wind up on TV like Divergent: The Last One?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What if the movie's soundtrack is made entirely of Queen songs that weren't written for Highlander

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I also kind of want to see a Highlander movie where one Immortal shoots his opponent a whole bunch, and he's like "ha ha, are you some kind of idiot, we can only be killed by getting decapitated", and then the first Immortal walks up and decapitates him because he was busy healing and couldn't move to get away

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In fact actually both parts of the starfish grow back so pretty soon you're covered in the drat things

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw an article about how Jurassic World 2 has started filming, and I've been shaken into a realization.

Jurassic World would have been seriously improved - and, indeed, would have been a great and deeply hilarious movie - if there had been no dinosaur escape or action or horror or death or anything in it. Sure, put in a lot of false starts, to convince the audience that the dinosaurs are going to break out at any moment and start eating people, but never actually have it happen. Really hammer in the theme that people are bored with dinosaurs now because they're just weird animals that are totally capable of being held in captivity, by never having a dinosaur break out and start eating people to shake the fictional audience out of that boredom. Just have the movie be two hours of mundane slice of life poo poo with some dinosaurs in the background that keep almost breaking out but always having the problem caught in time by the wacky but competent Jurassic World staff. It'd be the greatest joke ever played on audiences in Hollywood history.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not for two hours. Might as well just watch someone else's video of their trip to disneytown.

It'd be a movie where the twist is that you just spent two hours watching the fictional equivalent of someone else's trip to disneytown.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

I love Oncoming Train Park!

Welcome... welcome to Plague Land

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snooze Cruise posted:

I want to do dumb jurassic park pitches too.

the most popular dinosaur at jurassic park is lady, a raptor. they want to ship her from jurassic park east to Jurassic Japan on tour, but on the way their the ship crashes and she gets lost and has an adventure making her way to japan and talks to animals and its very kid friendly. but the big twist is once she gets to jurassic japan, she finds out they clone her and they have a new lady so she leaves and joins the animal friends she made on another adventure.

Sounds pretty good. So it's basically Madagascar then

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

He has at least a step-kid now. Maybe he wants to make movies that they can watch.

His daughter voices Ike on South Park.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
IMO, The Lego Movie and The Truman Show are tied for the best Matrix movie.

Pleasantville is the second best

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Under your ranking it'd be the third best

Oh yeah, that's how ties work in ranking

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Please make a Matrix/Terminator crossover, Hollywood. TIA

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rirse posted:

Always will love Jafar version of Prince Ali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR2Qqh-yHEU

Not as appropriate for the movie as Why Me, IMO. Why Me is a perfectly-executed character joke that actually makes Jafar feel like a natural part of the film as opposed to Generic Disney Villain #25. I wish they'd gone with Why Me. (Humiliate The Boy, while even funnier than Why Me, isn't as much "a character song for Jafar" as it is "a song to emphasize as much as possible that Aladdin is having a bad time".)

Unfortunately, although they tried out Why Me, I think, the loving stage version doesn't use Why Me

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Fun fact: She is the first Bond girl older than the Bond actor she's opposite. Only by a couple of years, but still. It's a welcome difference from Roger Moore being nearly if not more than three times the age of some of his costars.

They advertised this and a lot of naive journalists wrote enthusiastic thinkpieces about it, but then it turned out that she was a one-scene character and the movie actually had a main character Bond girl who's a little girl again

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

If it does well, they should do a sequel. Doctor Doolittle Goes to the Island of Doctor Moreau.

Doctor Doolittle Versus Animal Farm

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Batman: The Killing Joke:

:stare:

The only explanation I can possibly imagine for this is that the remaster team outright lost the original coloring, and figured "gently caress it, it doesn't matter, we can just guess what the original colors were based on context" because they were very bad at their job.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think maybe Disney is doing these remakes in an attempt to retcon the old, handdrawn style of animation out of existence? So, like, in the future they can leave all of their old animated movies in the vault forever, and they can still use the relevant IPs at Disney parks but pretend the new live action movies invented them? To head off questions from future children about why the old animated movies look different from the new animated movies?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It'd be neat if Disney reversed this trend and started making animated remakes of their old live action properties, like The Absentminded Professor (sorry but Flubber SUCKED, Robin Williams is great but that movie was fundamentally ill-conceived), 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and Old Yeller.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wish Mars Attacks had gotten two sequels instead of The Phantom Menace.

TBH that's selling Mars Attack short; it's not merely good, but among the best movies I've ever seen.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sweeney Todd suuuuuuucks, it was a terrible adaptation, the leads can't sing, if it didn't exist I wouldn't hate Tim Burton nearly so personally.

OTOH, Mars Attacks exists, so everything balances out

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

parallelodad posted:

Yeah none of the people in the anime club in college would tolerate my argument that anime was largely a visual medium and that by focusing on the bottom fifth of the screen to read the dialogue you're actually doing it a disservice unless the translation dub is particularly egregious and makes major changes.

Ted Rall posted:

Ebert wasn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing "Citizen Kane". He disagreed when I said it was boring, that "Kane" is unwatchable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing to the film's historical importance, which I didn't dispute.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, it's actually easy to discuss. It's just as you say: that complaining about individual casting choices is utterly pointless because the individual casting choices aren't the actual problem. It's a bad tactic.

Note the hypocrisy: Power Rangers is an extremely whitewashed Super Sentai, but there's not a peep from pseudoprogressives. They apparently forgot? Or don't care? Outrage fatigue?

I think this is because people have already gotten an emotional/nostalgic attachment to Whitewashed Super Sentai, but no one's attached to Whitewashed Ghost Lady. So the goal of focusing on that would be to prevent the attachment from ever forming in the first place.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alehkhs posted:

I'd certainly like to see the idea explored by more directors. Of course, the "Black and Chrome" version of Fury Road still has the orchestral score and is described by Miller as the “purest and most-stripped down version of Fury Road you can imagine.” :shrug:

Get that orchestral score out of here, that's a sound, I didn't come to movies for no sound, I came to movies for a long series of hundreds of thousands of images, each of which I look at for five seconds to deeply consider! :argh:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've always thought it'd be nice if more posts around here read like my 10th grade English classes' mandatory McGraw-Hill textbook was talking down to me.

(specifically a sidebar titled "Movies?" with a nice Wizard of Oz picture for illustration)

Consider the quality of posts that would inspire such 101-level condescension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In any case, I think we can all agree that if your film doesn't look better in grayscale, you have made a bad film. :colbert:

• Locked thread