Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That new mushroom miniboss in Odin Sphere Leifthrasir can go straight to hell, my God.

The game's difficulty curve sure does take full advantage of the new mechanics. I've had to stop playing on Hard more and more often because the enemies get damage-spongey and they hit like trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

I hear that. Last spring I had to have our cat put down and for the rest of the week after we put our daughter to bed and things quieted down, my wife and I were pretty miserable. So to occupy my mind I played the FF15 Platinum demo with the Carbuncle leading/following me around, it reminded me of our cat and was saddening when I finished the demo.

Now I play FF15 and am thinking "where the gently caress is my Carbuncle?" (Only on chapter 3 though I'm over 30 hours in... stupid side quests).

Carbuncle is only available on Easy Mode. He appears to auto-rez your party if you happen to get wiped.

TaurusOxford posted:

Why are the final fishing side-quests in FFXV so hard?! It's like I need to be psychic in order to know when the fish is going to change direction otherwise I lose about 100 durability on my fishing line. :argh:

Don't reel, at all, if your controller is vibrating. That's pretty much the only way you can prevent getting huge chunks bitten out of your line's vitality.

Even then it's an uphill battle. I caught one of the top-end fish with literally 2 hp left on my line.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think Vanillaware may have been a little too in love with Cornelius when making the Odin Sphere remake.

I mean, it's nice that he now has a full array of techniques that give him easy infinite combo loops on ground and in midair and several passive spells which continuously hit enemies and ensure his combo never drops even during gaps in sword attacks, but a loving laser cannon technique seems to be going too far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I can't overstate how much I hated the tooltips in TLG. I enjoyed it a lot but I don't think I could replay it without an option to turn those bloody tutorials off.

Also:

The Walrus posted:

20 minutes in and TLG is really great. The little interactions are unbelievable, I am pumped for when trico likes me enough to eat barrels right out of my hand

Unfortunately the big guy doesn't have the right kind of mouth for that, he'll always just knock your rear end over with his snout by accident if you hold onto the barrel long enough to make him go for it. You can toss them to him and he'll crunch them right out of the air, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beastie posted:

Didn't they patch that option in right before Christmas? I remember hearing about it but I haven't had the chance to play since the release week.

Seems like it was apocryphal, the option wasn't there when I booted and the tooltips were still out in force.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Hi, I've played some games recently.

Gravity Rush Remastered - I beat this a few months ago, but I never got around to posting about it. A previous poster likened it to a quirky Dreamcast game, which I think is apt. You are a mysterious anime girl who is thrust into a flying city. You eventually learn that you have the power to shift gravity, so you can choose which way you fall. You go around helping town folk until the anime plot decides to kick in. The world has an interesting feel to it, and the art style really pulls everything together. I especially liked the comic panel presentation of most cut scenes. My complaints are two fold. First, the game is a bit too long for what it is. The main plot takes a minute to get started, and it feels like there is some unnecessary padding. The gameplay loop just doesn't need to be stretched out over 10+ hours. The second is that at a certain point, mainly a boss, the combat got really frustrating. Your main combat trick is a gravity kick, which is a homing kick you initiate while floating. This is your only constant attack against airborne enemies (you have some simple punching combos on the ground along with a gravity sliding attack if you really want) barring super moves. The issue is that the homing capability is spotty against moving targets...which is the point of having a homing attack. Imagine trying to use a homing attack and missing for 10+ minutes in a boss fight with no other options. The game ended on a solid note, though I was so fed up with the combat that I was ready to shelf the game.

Question: What is the cliff hanger that everyone complained about? I don't remember thinking that I needed another game to tie up anything really.

The entire last act of the game is cliffs hanging off from other cliffs. The world is being dreamed up by God inhabiting the body of a little girl maybe who's also interested Kat probably because she's a refugee from the uppermost layer of the world presumably and Kat's cat is a highly advanced form of the Nevi apparently and the end of the game literally has the main villain speaking vague villainous plans to a sinister unseen third party over a god damned speakerphone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Housh posted:

ABZÛ game worth $20? I heard you folks comparing it to Journey. Does that mean it has co-op with randoms poo poo or there is no dialogue?

poo poo looks purdy.

$20 is a stretch. There's none of the multiplayer stuff of Journey, which was half its appeal, and the rest of it really is just Journey but underwater. The stages hit all the same beats and everything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Housh posted:

Pfft...I got Trico.

Me, on Trico's back: Forward, my companion!

Trico: *stares at a butterfly for seven hours*

I kid because I love my big dumb catdogbird

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loving cats. making GBS threads on the stairs, clawing up your furniture, inverting all known laws of physics on a whim.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

tbh, what system has had really good launches? i've never owned any console immediately at launch, this is the first time i can afford to do it. i've looked at a wikipedia list and not a lot is sticking out besides the NES pack-in with duck hunt and mario bros and maybe us gameboy

Console launches haven't been very robust in a while, but this one's especially weak, even more so when you consider how scanty Nintendo consoles' game libraries have been for like a decade.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me there's gotta be some compromise because I NEED to know that a command I entered actually registered. For games or any other kind of software, that's just something that if I don't have it I'll go nuts.

Granted I haven't played the game but from reviews it sounds like there's not.

Trico's got a few tics that amount to "no, I'm not doing that." Usually when he responds to a command with a loud screech it's a sign to try something else.

Conversely, whenever you give him a command that he does listen to he usually responds immediately - like if you tell him to go forward and jump on something he'll snort and tense up for the leap.

The only area where I really had trouble getting him to listen was during a certain water puzzle where you need him to dive below the surface and swim while you're hanging onto his back. The AI doesn't respond to "forward" commands properly in water, so I had to trick the AI by hanging onto him while he was doggy-paddling on the surface and then climbing down so the kid was submerged beneath the water. Once that happened, Trico's AI must have gone into "follow" mode because he dove down right away.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 15, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Switch really is looking like the death knell for Nintendo hardware. The thing's approaching critical mass for gimmicks and it's got no freakin games to support it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm not asking for a spoiler i just want to know if i missed something i should go back and look for

is there any proof or reference to who clogged up the whole game with breakable wooden debris? it feels like deliberate sabotage of whats going on in the game and not just like ruins or whatever.

cause the thingy on the roof of the final boss is blocked up, putting a hold on the whole child snatching operation and there's no good reason for that as far as i could tell.

It's not really blocked, as evidenced by how one of the Trico use it anyway. Looks like something tried to build a nest there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Phantom Pain isn't finished properly?

Don't spoil nothing still 3℅ in

It's essentially Act 1 of a two-act game. The second half is mostly padding.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Nioh is meant to be brutally hard, right? Like it's a game that most people probably won't ever finish?

It's difficult but not to that degree.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Eurogamer also stated that the demo version of GR2 was a lot rougher compared to the final product performance-wise, so that's nice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beastie posted:

I will complain about the story in Uncharted 4 because it's boring. I wasn't really a fan. I'm just about done with it but I've already started UC1 and I like it better.

I've never played a Yakuza game. I'd like to. What's the best option for me? Buy the new one? Is there a cheaper but still dope one on PSN?

If you have a PS3 you're spoiled for choice. If not you're out of luck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
UC1 isn't atrocious or anything but I wouldn't call it good. Maybe it was something exceptional at the start but time has turned it into another rote, repetitive third-person shooter with some exceptionally bad gameplay segments.

Also Chloe > Elena

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

holy poo poo this sounds involved what do you even get for this. i sort of want to go into the game blind but if its a Useful Thing i might break my plan

The only thing that carries over from the demos is an item called the Dirty Coin. No one knows what it does yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

give us some more hot takes, especially involving the super relevant and hilarious memes about knack

UFS is an idiot but most of my memories of the Crash games are the kind I wouldn't want revisited.

That running-into-the-screen gimmick, good grief.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Llama posted:

PS4 Pro worth it?

If you have no PS4 and/or a 4k TV, sure. If not, no need to upgrade.

Bad Llama posted:

PSVR worth it?

No.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

After watching the Giantbomb Quicklook and reading the Polygon review, I think I want to pick up Yakuza 0. But from reading the review the reviewer pointed out how bad the game is with its depiction of women. As far as I know, the series always suffered from this. Is there a reason for this? It seems like so much loving care and nuance was put into the main cast of characters in the series but a woman comes along and is just a prop in service for one of the male characters or story. It's just odd to me that the writers of these games can write these characters so well and just put no effort into any woman character.

It's not something preventing me from getting the game, but I'm just curious to know if there's some sort of cultural thing I'm not getting or if the writers really don't know how to write women.

It might be a writer thing, but Yakuza is also a crime drama and crime dramas tend to use women as props in the best of times.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 20, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I made a Gravity Rush 2 thread, though it looks like Nioh is what everyone's playing this weekend, me included.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

abraxas posted:

Would you guys recommend Yakuza 0 to someone who's never played a Yakuza game in their life? I'm kinda hankering for a new game after finishing Tales of Berseria and it caught my eye on the PS Store. I checked out a few reviews and the biggest complaint seems to be about nebulous "tedious things". Nobody really goes into any detail about what's tedious or why it's tedious so I have no real idea, but since I've never played a Yakuza game before maybe I'm just missing some secret background knowledge.

Also in case this is important these days with Boost Mode (tm) and all that poo poo, I'm a poor pleb with a normal PS4.

The thing about the Yakuza games is that they typically have strong, involved main plotlines ensconced within a zillion goofy side missions scattered throughout a small but developed open-world hub. They're well-made, but if you want to go for all the side missions then you're going to spend a lot of time running errands in between gritty crime drama.

e: super beat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Your reward for getting 100% in Yakuza missions is the opportunity to be punched in the dick by Neo from the Matrix so I'm cool with giving it a pass.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Artless Meat posted:

Did you get a charismatic autobiography and equip that?

Yeah, if you're getting beaten like a drum in Yakuza then it's probably because of that accessory, it jacks enemies' aggressiveness way, way up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

man nurse posted:

Personally, boost mode pushed me to get a Pro. I'm not in the beta or anything, but I have some games I'd love to increase the framerate of, like Until Dawn and Bloodborne. Also playing Last Guardian with a smooth framerate is a major upgrade. I'd basically base your decision off of how important framerate and minor visual upgrades are to you, and of course whether or not you have a 4K or HDR tv (I have neither). Gamestop is taking an extra $50 on PS4 trade ins right now, so I got mine down to a respectable price.

Does Gamestop still honor that deal even if the PS4 in question has issues? Mine's got the Eject bug so I stripped away the rubber on the button a while ago.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Horizon Zero Dawn is looking like a dud anyway so I doubt the scheduling could hurt it much worse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And then you have the sequel, which is just terribly, terribly silly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LordMune posted:

The mission is dumb and bad and what I ended up convincing myself must be true so as to avoid madness, is that camera positioning matters. I sincerely hope this is not actually true because it would be insanely stupid, but I found I could pull it off only (and even then not consistently) if the camera was more or less horizontal; Kat would then gracefully roll "forward" if I held up on the left stick and timed the dodge correctly. Does she try to roll into the ground if the camera is pointed straight down...? I managed it in the end, somehow.

She rolls regardless of camera positioning (I usually do it when the angle is directly over her head). Right before she hits the ground after an especially long fall she makes a little gasping sound, which is your cue to hit R2. I do think you need to hold the stick in a direction as well, though.

e: if this is the mission where you need to jump from one airbus to the next until you reach the lighthouse it's a giant pain in the rear end regardless. I needed to touch down at the very edge of the lighthouse or Kat would roll right off the other side and fail the mission.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 15, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This has been a genuinely excellent year for gaming so far. There are very few games I've played I was disappointed in and I know for a fact several upcoming games are good because I've played them. (Looking at you, Persona.)

How's Horizon turning out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

It's two months into 2017 and Horizon: Zero Dawn and Nioh are the two best reviewed $60 retail games. Last year, the best reviewed $60 game was Uncharted 4 and the worst reviewed $60 game was Star Ocean 5.

What is this supposed to imply?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

So I'll try to answer any questions people have about Horizon now that things are up. I'm not gonna drop any spoilers about how Aloy is actually three mechanical dinosaurs in a human suit or anything but otherwise lemme know if you've got any questions.

Does the difficulty curve break like most open-world games as your skillset expands?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also Nier. Too much to keep up with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Between this and the World of Final Fantasy patch SE is just batting zero lately with performance updates.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Early yeah, eventually you get surrounded and your dodges don't work then they hit you from behind. Maybe Im bad but it becomes tedious breaking out of stunlocks and breaking away from a group to get a few hits in before they surround you.

Unequip the Charismatic Autobiography.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shoren posted:

Plus, Still Alive is better than Warning Call.

I'll come clean, I was thinking "what the hell does Portal have to do with any of this"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Mr. Shakedown's a cakewalk to fight, he's just tedious. For Kiryu, keep jabbing at him with Rush to build up Heat and then switch to Brawl to smash poo poo over his head with Heat attacks when he's recovering from his charge attack. For Majima, stock up on knives and alternate between building Heat with Thug Style and using the knife's Heat Attack.

For both of them, buy lots and lots of Lightning Shotguns when they're available and make billions of no-effort yen and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh. Shakedown is ridiculously vulnerable to electricity. Three shots from one of those guns will take off nearly a whole life bar. Kiryu has an unmarked weapons shop near the Empty Lot that I really wish I'd actually found in my game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I feel like the 10 minute + fights once he has purple health are just never worth the time,if you play it no risk.

If you beat him once at that point you're set for life, so it's not too bad. Especially if you have the Encounter Tracker, since his life bar is semi-persistent across encounters if you go find him right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"Golden age" has more than one meaning you tedious dipshit.