Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

for kicks geller recently did a video on this subject that y'all might like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrEayPIrVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hell yeah beep, pleasure to :justpost: with yall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KTsywB6GNQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

RDR2 is so weirdly conservative at times despite having this radically detailed and dynamic open world. It has a bit of a split personality. It's like there was a tug of war at Rockstar between people who wanted to try ambitious new game design and people who wanted to reuse GTA as a template for making genre movies.

It's the same development identity crisis that 2077 had only Rockstar has 10x as many employees available to slave away until they die

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sealcub posted:

So far I've tried Sekiro and Bloodborne, and while I thought their gameplay was fun, I simply could not git gud enough to not make the experience frustrating, to the degree I couldn't/wouldn't progress past certain points. Are there similarly fantasy/supernatural setting games (or any other environments) out there with very smooth/airtight mechanics that feature scalable difficulty?

Someone referred Nioh to me, but also added it's even more difficult than Sekiro, so I was going to have to rule that one out. I was considering Shadow of the Colossus, Ghost of Tsushima, and maybe Immortals Fenyx Rising, any potential recommendations would be welcome.

All three Ueda games are godlike and are direct influences on Miyazaki/Bloodsouls FROM titles. Ico was restored on PS3/PSNow, SOTC had a remake on PS4, and if you can track down a disc copy of The Last Guardian you can play it in 60fps on a PS5. Play them in order if you are able.

haveblue posted:

That makes perfect sense because samurai movies owe a lot to westerns

Arist posted:

other way around

samurai drama and western drama in film emerged as genres rather contemporaneously

exquisite tea posted:

It’s more accurate to say that samurai movies and westerns mutually influenced each other, especially following the post-War period.

this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh poo poo are we gonna get another lecture?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The only moral perverted anime horseshit… is my own

anime...is good. even...bust rodd anime.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Metro Exodus and Sekiro.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Going off sold auctions I'd say try to get $400-425 for it and drop down to 350 is you need to.

Wow jesus christ I can't believe last gen consoles resale for MSRP in 2021 hellworld lol. In any other timeline, buying a PS4 pro would be like $100 a year after it's predecessor was released. I gave my PS4 pro to my brother for free and I don't think he has used it for more than an hour. Could have just loving covered my PS5 with that thing.

I was commenting on this in like 2019, but the PS4 price stability is loving wild. Where the PSX, PS2, and PS3 saw MSRP price drops of up to 60% or more over their lifespan, the PS4 was still selling for 400 bux 7 years in even before COVID hit. Just insane.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

It's all part of the story where gaming hardware in general is in higher than usual demand and supply constrained for a variety of reasons. A used Switch holds its value pretty well right now too. Even an Xbone S goes for at least $120 on ebay. People are selling their years-old GPUs for the price they paid to buy it new.

Supply wasn't constrained in late 2019 and early 2020 when PS4 was still 400 bux, 6+ years after its release

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

spider-man is a cop

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that's right bitch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Dr. Internet reporting in here. Calling fictional superheroes cops is actually one of the first major symptoms of a condition we call "Too Online" or Roflcopteritus. My professional recommendation would be abstaining from C-Spam and Robert Evans podcasts for at least 3 nights a week and going to a baseball game.

funny you say this because robert evans is prolly a cop, too. i'll take your advice though, pdx is hosting MLS cup in like 4 days woop woop

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fictional superheroes are the metaphysics of copdom

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven’t listened to that but yeah it’s kinda tiring in general. I mean I agree with him on a lot of stuff but he’s got this sort of doomer response to world happenings that really sours me at times. When I heard about the book/podcast I knew exactly what it would be. It’s just… idk it’s too much. I do like him though and I would definitely go shoot guns in the desert with him either way.

Dr. Internet reporting in here. Calling Robert Evans a cop is actually one of the first major symptoms of a condition we call "Too Online" or Roflcopteritus. My professional recommendation would be abstaining from C-Spam and idk some other podcasts or something for at least 3 nights a week and going to a baseball game.

he writes for a blog that gets funding from NED and he trademarked the term 'cool zone' for his podcast network on i heart radio :thunk:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Get yourself to a sports game immediately!!!!!

I'm gonna! I'm gonna! :emo:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Jesus shut up about calling spider-man a cop. Not everyone in here is american (fortunately).

super heros only live in america :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCDIxQoeA8

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9BF1JvzE7I

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

GOAT scene in cinema history. Insomniac need to make the next one have this scene or it’s game over.

boycott incoming if they dont

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

robert evans is more of a patsy than a cop imo

yeah, it's mostly shorthand

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He’s a judge dumbass. It’s in the name

i thought he was a yardie. live and learn

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm glad we had this talk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

How do I close someone else’s thread

you don't have the authority or the temerity

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the most erotic videogame thought of all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Baggot posted:

this poo poo, my man

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

It is wild how badly people need to go outside and pet a dog and whatnot

Politics goons are insane

I did go outside. Most of last year. And I met the iheartradio man.

Bust Rodd posted:

Goons obsessively rage against Bob Evans because they believe he currently works for the CIA and for some reason that means that you cannot enjoy his digital book reports on famous assholes in history. It’s one of the dumber goon memes and he actually used to post here but every time he showed up people would call him an imperialist CIA plant and the OP closed the thread. You can’t bring him up in cspam without 5 goons breathlessly rushing in to explain that he’s a narc.

poo poo, my bad, i forgot how much of an authority you are on the subject :rolleyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 9, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

why are sonic's arms blue?? :stonk:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:stwoon:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I never liked the way it was handled in OG Nier but the multiple playthroughs are fine and outright really cool in Automata imo

Same. But even though the repetition is absolute bullshit in the NieR remake, the new ending is fuckin great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

4 years ago I put a PS4 or craigslist for $100 and no one bit for 4 months until someone offered to trade me an Xbone for it. My how times have changed.

Absolutely insane. It's a good reminder of how over-leveraged the economic apparatus of the world has been for like 50 years, where a diminishing standard of living at the center of empire has been offset with subsidized access to electronic consumer goods made elsewhere via slave labor. Corona just brought the contradictions into the foreground.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

And yeah 50 years probably isn't inaccurate, but really the last decade or so, rampant consumerism has reached a degree where it's sort of alarming. Maybe some shortages are what we need right now.

you're prolly right yeah, though I mean it def started to ramp up in the 80s with stuff made in Japan, then 90s China, then 00s Korea and Taiwan and Brazil, etc etc etc

We're running out of places to exploit under the umbrella of neoliberalism, but yeah, ever since the Iraq War and iPhones hitting the market we've been running on loving fumes for this thing. They very idea that people would be "buying" new $500 phones like every other year for the past 15 years and at the same time don't have healthcare or job security and we all thought it was somehow normal...it's like the kind of crazy nightmare that people living in the 1920s and 1930s would loving gawk at.

Like the majority of average household discretionary income in the last 30 years is going down the toilet and meanwhile huge numbers of people around the world are living on mercury infested waste dumps but we can't see what's happening because it's all changing so fast around us and there are so many flashing lights.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 29, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Boy, if I tell BP I’m on the iPhone Upgrade Programme he’ll probably fly to England and shove my head in a guillotine himself.

Look, I'm not trying to indict regular people, alright?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

Hot take maybe but I liked this movie more when a large chunk was lost and it barely made any sense

my first time watching it was an old dvd copy that a friend synced up with OK Computer & How Am I Driving EP. It was awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

are u all okay

beep by beap

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I hope it ends clicking because right now is at the back of the FROM bus and I've played the clunky rear end Armored Core 4.

it's important to hesitate less

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Edit: Update

Hirata Estate: Found an axe and a gun for my augmented arm... I didn't ask for this :v: I killed two shield dudes with the good old baiting and faced a spear miniboss that I ran away from when I noticed that I had enough points to spend on mikiri counter. I fit the new stuff on my arm and now I can shield break (literally). I guess this is more of a combat puzzle game than I thought.

Coin purses are important, right? to keep from losing money.

Yeah, buy purses with money. Also try to locate the fireworks augment, and remember to not press any directions when trying to mikiri, just from a neutral position. It's basically just a forward dodge.

Also, a lot more people can answer questions about Sekiro in the PS5 thread or the Sekiro thread if you get stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

actionjackson posted:

how can copying an update file be so slow, I mean I know I just have a regular ps4, but this 240 MB little patch is going to take like 40 minutes

because it has to rebuild the entire gamefile