Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

You shouldn't shame others for wanting to get trophies/achievements. If you don't like it, so be it. Don't worry too much about how others enjoy video games. Unless it's Fallout 76, then you can worry all you want.

Anyone with the Fallout 76 Plat is scary indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

I just found out how badly Sony hosed up the PlayStation Classic, and I'm positively bewildered. It shouldn't be possible to do so many things wrong.

Not even talking about the line-up! Completely apart from the line-up, they shat the bed real good on this one.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-emulation-first-look

About half the games are the PAL versions (regardless of where you buy the mini-console), and those games all repeat every fifth frame in order to match up with the locked 60Hz output of the device itself, resulting in awful visual stutter, on top of the fact that the games will only run at 5/6th the speed they're supposed to. And even the NTSC games don't run right!

Yep. If you have a PS3 you can get all games except Revelations: Persona in usable form without spending much (and with a PSTV/Vita/PSP, that version is only $20), just get the actually decent games a-la-carte that way. As a bonus you can get a ton of must-haves that aren't on the Classic for like six bucks each digitally. I go into more specifics in the mini-console thread (the NES/SNES Classic thread I keep meaning to poke VG about renaming but :effort:)

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 29, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No SOTN on that machine is an unforgivable omission

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think you'd want to do it pronto tho, aren't they shutting down a lot of PS3 store functionality soon?

No? They are going to stop giving PS3 games on PS+ and a few specific online game servers are shutting down, but there are no plans to kill the store otherwise. Hell, you can still get them on a PSP even.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A PSTV is great especially with limited space to work with, but a PS3 is a lot better (and it seems cheaper if the PSTV is going for like $250 :stonk:) particularly for PS1 stuff since they'll work with any disc that's the same region as the PS3, and also cooperate with multiple account regions so you can do physical+digital North American NTSC games as well as some digital Japanese games which lets you avoid a lot of headaches for a few games which have no language barrier.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Keep in mind that you have to also get the PSVita memory cards which are idiotically expensive (like $75+ for 16 gigs )

At least you can sort-of do infinite-ish storage using the Content Manager, letting you move games and saves between the device and a PC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

RIP? It had a good run, some great games. Ran for 10 years before being discontinued.

It was still getting games in Japan like 2 years ago, and I even got a UMD version of Summon Night 5.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Further adventures in PS4 hardware fuckery

I'm pretty sure it's the loving HDMI port on my TV that's doing something. Switching to HDMI 3. If this works I'm going to be hella-mad.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I have had multiple hdmi ports go bad on TVs over the years. Its happened

Go bad by sending a loving EMP to whatever's plugged into it randomly?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm Australian. For good or ill

At least we get games first :unsmith:

Not before New Zealand :smug:

Of course, games cost way more there.

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 30, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So I finally found some posts online with the same PS4 symptoms I have and it sounds like it's a dying PSU on both systems, although the regular PS4 only gave me grief once so I'll leave it be for now, although I am mad at it for leading me on a wild goose chase. Definitely sending in the PS4 Pro at least, especially since I just received the return box for it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RichterIX posted:

If I want all the content from both Hitman games is it safe to buy Hitman 2016 GOTY since it's on sale right now and then buy Hitman 2 and do whatever dance it requires to unlock the 2016 content? Wasn't sure if they've since turned off the Legacy import feature or whatever, and I remember seeing that just buying the Legacy Pack itself was $20

You're totally fine to go this route, but you'll have to download and launch the Season 1 client to do the free claim, just FYI. So you'll wind up downloading an extra 40-odd gigs when all's said and done. You can claim the "legacy" pack for Hitman 2 without owning Hitman 2, too, if you're worried about it being time-limited (I don't think this is likely).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Congratulations to Destiny 2 for reclaiming the #3 spot from Fallout 76 in the "largest patch" contest, new owners of Destiny 2 on disc are now welcomed by a 52 gig patch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I'm working and firewall will block a lot of gaming sites. Can you paste here the ranking for (in doomguy's voice) HUGE PATCHES?

Here's the top 20 at least that I know of, with update sizes in megs (may be out of date in some cases). These sizes are just the patches themselves, in some cases there are DLC sizes on top of that (although a lot of these games keep all extra data in the patches and DLC is just 1 meg unlock files)

Elder Scrolls Online 64598.9
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 54545.4
Destiny 2 52720.4
Fallout 76 50981.3
Star Wars Battlefront II 41482.6
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege 40219.9
Gran Turismo Sport 36760.3
Spyro Reignited Trilogy 34386.1
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered 34061.7
Call of Duty: WWII 32951
Destiny (all editions including TTK Bundles) 32678.7
Battlefield 1 31728.8
DOOM 30355.4
Final Fantasy XV (all editions including Royal Edition) 28677.4
For Honor 27510.2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance 25759.6
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 25380.6
Steep 24431.8
Tom Clancy's The Division 23531.2
Star Wars Battlefront 23250

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

DOOM patches got ridiculous for awhile on Steam, it felt like every day there was a new 15GB update.

DOOM patches contain the contents of the multiplayer DLC, so they were pretty dickish at first when that was paid DLC, a little less bad but still bad once those went free for everybody.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

sadly the Yakuza Series never does resolve the mystery of who Blade Shoeman was and why he's stronger than like all the other bosses in Kiwami 2

Goddamn that loving boss absolutely wrecked my poo poo the first two times, took like a whole pharmacy and armory each time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Okay I figured it out!

Apparently I didn't realize that the dual shock can both be connected to a PS4 and a PC at a the same time?

So I plugged it into my computer to use for poo poo, must have accidentally hit the PS4 button, and all my inputs were going downstairs to my PS4 also?

So I guess I didn't get hacked but hopefully they will still refund me since I didn't mean to buy this stuff

it says online you can get a refund if you never downloaded it but when I went downstairs I had apparently already made secret of mana download :negative:

Impressive flub. Definitely don't do a chargeback or your PSN account will be permabanned along with everything it owns.

I think you're probably OK if you've never requested a refund before and don't have any trophies on your PSN profile for those games.

Also there's a setting with PSN where you mandate password entry any time you do something that costs money (so no password for downloading PS+ or other free things) so you'll definitely want that activated going forward.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh doing a 180 on red dead seems par for the course. happened to a lot of people itt even

This seems to be par for the course for almost every non-Nintendo game that gets really really high reviews at launch. Bioshock Infinite is a particularly glaring example of this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not gonna try to derail things too much with my constant broken PS4 news, but I thought I'd point out that the cost of a replacement PSU goes up with each revision.

Original version with touch-based buttons is like $20
The revision with proper physical buttons is closer to $30
The Slim is around $50
The PS4 Pro with the larger connector is over $100 and it may actually be cheaper to have Sony do it (it was in my case) depending on shipping costs etc.
The newer RDR2 PS4 Pro with the smaller figure-8 power connector doesn't seem to have PSU's available, but those systems are all under warranty still so just go through Sony for free.

Replacing a PSU requires removing the no-longer-legal warranty stickers but is otherwise dead easy as long as you have the right-size torx screwdriver, it's just a block you disconnect and reconnect.

The Canadian prices for PS4 repairs are around $100+tx for a fat PS4 and $150+tx for a PS4 Pro. This is regardless of issue but is subject to refusal if the damage is intentional or stems from irresponsibility. This does not include removal of the warranty stickers due to new FTC regulations, but does include modding, damage to the serial number label, consoles with live critters inside (dead might be OK?) and anything suggesting the console was horribly mishandled (excessive damage to the outside).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Wait

Only the launch PS4s have those lovely "touch" power/eject disc buttons and all the revisions that have physical, pressable buttons?????????????

I'm using "launch" somewhat generously. There was a later revision of the "original look" PS4 where the panel covering the hard drive is matte instead of glossy (in other words, the entire console has the same matte finish). This version has actual proper physical buttons, they have to actually be pushed for power/eject. I think it was like 18 months-ish after launch or thereabouts that they launched that revision? CUH-1215 is the model number at least in North America. It's the one I have and from late 2015, the bundle that came with Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Over There posted:

Same with the Xbox

This was way worse on the XB1 since it was a big bright shiny thing begging to be touched by children and pets and would immediately turn off your game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I am, what the kids call, "buttmad" about this.

Cannot tell you how much I despise Touch surfaces to power on/interact with electronic devices.

Trade in your PS4 for a sleek and sexy newer model.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Far Cry 76.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I got BF2 as a stocking stuffer for a few people. It's shooty shooty star wars, has a single player campaign, and somewhat serviceable multiplayer we can maybe play together so :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Not sure what the PsPro has, but yeah the slim ps4 got rid of the touch buttons.

They all have physical buttons except the launch SKU for 2013-2014 and maybe some of 2015.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"May contain content inappropriate for children"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not really sure why they are still holding off on revealing Borderlands 3

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1060192734630371329?s=21

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Imhotep posted:

It’s weirder to me how they depict Chinese people in the game, by making them speak Engrish/yell it at someone else.

They're generally speaking the Japanese version of Engrish. Slow, oddly paced, a lot of "necessary" grammatical words dropped/omitted/misused etc.

This is also why Ed in Yakuza 6 and some others aren't localized this way: they may have pacing/speed issues but their grammar and vocabulary usage is very good and doesn't have mistakes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity for way down the line after I get through the Kiwami's; Is Yakuza 5 any good?

It's a very different kind of game in a lot of ways and bites off a ton in terms of locations (there are five), playable characters (also five), and things you can do in the game which include things you MUST do. These extra gameplay types are neat ideas but a lot of them are insanely janky. It's a highly polarizing title because of this, depends a lot on what people will put up with.

For example, there are two types of taxi missions: one where you have to get someone to their destination but have to do so with insane attention to following the rules. Stopping for pedestrians, stopping at the line for red lights, signaling for turns etc. The other is an Initial-D style balls-to-the-wall race mode.

There's even a hunting mode in a remote snowy part of Hokkaido which is like Red Dead Redemption 2 light. You also go to Sapporo which is where I lived for a few years so this entry in the series is special to me as a result.

There's a decently-long section in Osaka (same area as all the other games with it) where you play as Haruka, no thugs attacking you. You do, however, do Hatsune Miku-style dance-offs with people, and the storyline for her section is actually a really interesting "idol manager" game of sorts. I think a lot of people didn't like it since it was different from the bare-knuckle Yakuza fighting they were expecting, but I loved it. :shrug:

I think overall it has my favorite storyline since while it's all Yakuza-intertwined there's also a TON that's somewhat separate from it (e.g. the Initial-D taxi races has a whole storyline of its own, Haruka's Idol adventure, and also a disgraced baseball player and his hard-knock life story), but you definitely have to put up with a lot of roughness especially if you're used to the PS4 versions of all the games. It's the most polished of the PS3 games but that's really not saying much.

If you're not sure it's on Playstation Now, too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That reminds me, the difficulty of the extra content in Yakuza 5 is loving ridiculous, if you're wanting to Platinum it, it's a loving wall. Even beating it on Normal without dropping the difficulty (which is one of the trophies) is ludicrously hard throughout, especially the end game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh right, another maddening thing about the end of Yakuza 5, is that since each character has their own inventory they all need ridiculous amounts of healing items and will all be pitted against stupidly unfair bosses. Not really a big deal if you plan it, but the ending legit takes over an hour so you can end up really stuck if you forgot to load up on healing items for Kiryu, for example.

Things get a bit weird with the multiple characters late and post-game.

All money is pooled into a single pot.
All item boxes (but not the active inventories themselves) are pooled. All characters still have their own character-specific inventory.
You can switch characters in Serena.
Each character can free roam in Kamurocho, and via taxi can travel to their earlier chapter's town (and only their earlier chapter's town). So Saejima can travel to Sapporo and the hunting village as well as Kamurocho, Kiryu can travel within Kamurocho and to Fukuoka etc. You can't travel to cities other than Kamurocho unless you're playing as the specific character who started their playthrough in those cities (e.g. Kiryu can't travel to Sapporo, only Saejima can).

There are some missions which are tied to completing things in the starting cities with specific characters, for example each character gets invited to the coliseum tournament in Kamurocho after enough street fights, and once you've done this with everyone you can go into the tournament as Kiryu and wind up fighting the other characters too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spacebump posted:

What day does the PS4 store weekly sale change?

In North America it’s Tuesday mid-day.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

nnnotime posted:

Ok. Wow, the Pro supports 4K? That's awesome since I just bought 4K monitor a few months ago. Also turns out I already have the Razer Ultimate 7.1 Headset for PS4, which I bought originally for PC gaming.

Subconsciously I must have been preparing to buy the PS4 Pro all along :krakentoot:

Wow, I could play Doom VFR. Is it worth it? I completed Doom 2016 on Nightmare. Does the PS4 VR headset work OK with glasses?

PS4 VR headset does work OK with glasses, yes. There's a button on the bottom of the "visor" that lets you push it forward or backwards and allows you to fit glasses in that way.

As for 4K, yes it outputs in 2160p, as well as in HDR. The internal resolution will often be below that, where games will use checkerboarding and similar algorithms to generate a 2160p image. Usually their "native" res will be above 1080p, though, with 1440p-1620p being common. Some games do hit native 4K, though, especially sports titles and games with simpler graphics.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Got my repaired PS4 Pro yesterday (actually technically Monday but since no one was home I had to go pick it up). So exactly 1 week turnaround, which is especially impressive since it appears I got the exact same console back (so they serviced it in like 2 days), they just got all up in dem guts and did something because there's new security tape, this time without illegal warranty void text. I'm assuming it was factory restored with the stock drive I'd put back in, so I unfortunately had to do a full format of the 2tb drive when I put it back in, but them's the breaks. Almost done redownloading everything so it's all good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/prototypeoflife/status/1072621706290872322

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 12, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

Lol. To whom, and why, are you melting down about a zelda game?

Jeff Gerstman.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rolo posted:

Now that I’m dipping my toes in the world of 4K, I’m thinking it’s about time to upgrade my old PS4 to a pro.

I’ve seen little bits about certain early versions of the pro being loud as hell when the fans kick up, if I get the new Red Dead bundle is it going to be some slightly different, quieter system?

E: also vague question but is it worth it? I really wanna see rocket league and dark souls 3 in 4K.

The new PS4 Pro is quieter. It's definitely a bump but probably not enough of one to lose sleep over. Like if there's a good trade-in deal and you can get it for around $100-150 sure, or you need a 2nd console anyway and the inclusion of RDR2 is a nice bonus, but don't pay $400 just to "upgrade" especially since the PS5 or whatever is probably only like 2ish years off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rolo posted:

It would be a combo of trade in of my base PS4, some store credit I’ve been sitting on and getting a free 60 dollar game I was gonna buy soon anyways.

How loud is the newest PS4 pro compared to a 4 year old PS4 fat boy? My system sits like 5 feet from the couch I sit in when I play.

There seems to be a bit of a luck-of-the-draw component to how loud the PS4 you get is. I've had several PS4's and by far the loudest was the launch day unit I traded in for a day one PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro can definitely "ramp up" but mine has never been what I would call loud, although some have said that theirs have been insanely loud especially with RDR2, but I think all the "bundled with RDR2" units are reasonably quiet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm sorry, VideoGames, i'll try harder. sometimes my blood just boils when i haven't played Yakuza for a few hours, i need help.

Sounds like you need more Yakuza.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ulio posted:

Anyone know where to get a power cord for ps4 pro? I found some for PS4 not sure if the same works.

If it’s an pre-RDR2 bundle PS4, you want the same kind of power cable as a desktop PC so get one from any computer store. For the PS4 Pro included in the RDR2, you want a “figure 8” cable which most Playstations and Xbox One S or X use (as well as slim and super-slim PS3s), and are also common with some types of chargers and battery-less electric razors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Here are the two types of PS4 Pro

For the top kind, you want this cable (with the right wall end for your country)

This cable has three prongs which is typical for these types of cables. Most consoles, including the PS4 Pro, don't have a ground pin and generally come with a 2-prong version of the cable, but a 3-prong cable will work totally fine and is probably easier to find since they're generally for desktop PC's which universally have the ground pin.

For the newer models, you want this cable (again with the right wall end for your country)