Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
I'm currently in a taxi back from Raymond James and oh my god watching grown men in houndstooth hats cry was a sight to behold. I can't wait to see what happens with that Clemson roster in the NFL because that's the first team in 2 years that just stood there and kept punching bama back in the mouth.

I also would not want to be jalen hurts or an early enrollee tomorrow.

Also Bo Scarborough is the truth and might have won them that game if healthy. He's Henry with mobile hips. And knees of glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

We loving destroyed you guys and we're one spot behind you? Seriously AP poll?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

For those who don't follow recruiting, OSU Early Enrollee Tate Martell decommitted from A&M and caused a million Aggies to melt the gently caress down as a result and start tweeting poo poo at him. So, while signing a few programs at the Army All-American game, he signed for a guy in an Aggie shirt is starting to make the rounds a bit among OSU fans.

I've read a million "Take the high road, bad attitude" takes about it, but as a terrible person/enemy of A&M athletics, I kind of love this. I only hope this is an indicator that we finally have a Cardale-level troll back in the program, but I can so totally see this ending poorly.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's a non sequitur away from sounding like Senor Cardgage

Honestly, homestar runner weirdly works as a metaphor for college football in florida right now.

Strong Bad: Best character known for his outbursts - Jimbo Fisher
Homestar: Naive character who is likable but pales in comparison to everyone else - Jim McElwain
Strong Mad: Powerful character who should be able to kill everyone but holds himself back - Mark Richt
Strong Sad: Smart and creative but depressed from years of bad experiences - Charlie Strong
Coach Z: Inexplicable midwesterner who is apparently very successful and relentlessly positive yet comes from another reality - Scott Frost
Bubs: Most successful man in town but preposterously shady no matter what job he has that day - Butch Davis
Senor Cardgage: Creepy, washed-up neighbor that looks suspiciously familiar - Yeah that's Kiffin

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Anals of History posted:

News: Ohio State pummels UM, MSU dummies in workout. Plus fat dudes ride Harleys across the practice field.

https://twitter.com/OhioStateFB/status/838016498694258690/video/1

Views: If you aint got haters you aint poppin

Honestly, the entire OSU S&C staff is starting to theme this stuff at like "Rush week frat party"/Crossfit levels of effort. The infamous Valentine's Day Massacre came with handwritten valentines from each of the position coaches this year at the start and end of the workout. We're like one ice luge away from going full Blue Mountain State at this point.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

so you're saying Michigan is just super bad at hand-timing 40s

Yeah, this makes me think of that Florida 40 board from like 2008-9 that had like 4-5 guys below a 4.3 on it when like one of those guys pulled it off at the combine

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

big money big clit posted:

Braxton Miller ran a 4.5 at the combine. Jake Stoneburner ran a 4.65. Philly Brown ran a 4.51.

The funniest part of that is that Ryan Shazier's time is the only legitimate one on the board since he ran like a 4.39 at the combine.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

big money big clit posted:

He didn't run at the combine.

Sorry pro day. Considering he's on tape beating the steelers fastest receivers head to head in one, I think it may be the only credible one on there.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Jim Harbaugh is really working to make me cheer for him:

I bet Urban Meyer thinks that poor people need to just commit less crime if they want to not be in jail. Like the tool he is.

Urban basically votes like a white upper class catholic does. gently caress's sake he endorsed kasich who is nominally his boss I suppose. This Harbaugh offseason has made me so much more sympathetic to a man who I can only describe as "like if buzz lightyear never realized he was a toy" that I honestly am considering taking his advice on the stupid yoga khakis.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

TipTow posted:

So my dad and I and maybe a few buddies are heading up to Columbus for the Oklahoma-Ohio State game in September. Trying to look for some AirBnBs to stay in. Any recommendations on where in the city to stay? Would prefer somewhere reasonably close to campus, either walkable or short drive. There's a place between 315 and Short North that looks cool--would that be a good place to go out on Friday night or before the game Saturday? If not, what are some good neighborhoods for bars, either of the sportsy persuasion or otherwise?

Short North is the grown-up place to drink. German Village can get you some good dining options but isn't where you want to be late at night. Avoid going up High Street to campus the night before a game. Short North is walkable to the stadium if you're in decent shape.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

I was in Short North last month and an old toothless woman offered to blow me and two of my friends for cigarettes. Also nobody knows how to park their cars and people are still wearing Harambe shirts.

As a Clevelander in Cincinnati, you do not know how loving tired I am of the dead gorilla meme. Columbus is by far the most livable city in the state, which means it's trying to be what Portland/other cool cities were a decade ago. Which is ultimately decent all things considered.

Also, TipTow, Late Night Slice for drunk munchies. Adriatici's is better pizza but LNS is open in the wee hours of the night

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Korranus posted:

Especially against Tulsa, sleep on those assholes at your own risk.

This, it's like watching Baylor at the start of Briles' tenure where you just hold your breath until like the last 10 minutes of game time.

Some Ohio State N/V/Observations

- QB drills have changed dramatically this year. More deep ball drills than we've ever done, but Day appears to be bringing back a lot of Herman's footwork drills that Beck got away from. Now, I'm not sure how I feel about Barrett being instructed by a guy who worked with Blaine Gabbert and Kaep last year, but he's also gotten good stuff out of Bradford and Foles in his life, so he gets the benefit of the doubt for the moment. His feet were bad last year, which got aggravated by the line, and he needs to close his stance and get everything tightened up to have a chance at being freshman JT again.

- Weber's actually getting pressure from a true soph and EE frosh for the RB job, which is a really good thing considering how mediocre Antonio Williams has looked. Pretty much every fan on this board wanted more DeMario McCall last year, and it looks like our wishes will be granted with the first team. Dobbins is going to get a lot of carries with the 2s. I'm expecting a lot more of a RB by committee approach though since Weber is just limited on his breakaway ability, similar to how Hyde needed guys like Wilson and Hall to change pace for him.

- Receivers are starting to separate somewhat. Parris Campbell is the starting H, which is where he should have been for years, and he's been the unquestioned best receiver so far. Ordinarily, I would be uber-skeptical of a guy having a breakout as a RS JR, but he also enrolled at OSU on like his 17th birthday, so who knows. Terry McLaurin appears to be the Z receiver but is probably the least firm starter. Ben Victor at the X. KJ Hill, who looked like the best receiver not named Samuel last year, appears to be rotating between Y and Z. I would wager that Hill is going to rotate in place of Campbell and McLaurin and play heavily at both pivot and true slot and Z when possible. Austin Mack and Johnnie Dixon have been good, but they're clearly behind those 4, which is actually a bit refreshing considering the sheer number of guys we played here last year. Still talented enough that the 2s will look way too good in mop-up this year.

- Urban is weirdly in love with the TE group right now, which bodes well since Wilson throws to the TE a hell of a lot more than we ever have. Baugh was good, but there's actual depth behind him now that we need considering he gets dinged up often.

- O-line looks really good at the top and aggressively mediocre with the 2s and 3s. Part of that is just that the D-line depth is preposterous, but Urban's been throwing most of the backups under the bus when possible. Demetrius Knox looks like the likely new starter at RG now that Price slid over, which makes sense considering he was the first guy off the bench even with a foot injury last year. Pridgeon is probably the next guy at T and Burrell at G. This will be really really ugly in a year or two. Please let Studrawa not be poo poo.

- The D-line looks as good as a team returning its entire 2 deep should. Nick Bosa is a backup on this team for gently caress's sake. Only real concern is the continued lack of a true 1-tech, but I guess it doesn't matter when the rest of the Big 10 is too slow to stop you.

- LBs appear pretty much set with Chris Worley sliding to the middle, Dante Booker at SLB and Jerome Baker taking over at the Walkout. The backups are a bit unclear. Baron Browning is the top backup at the moment but is hurt. Malik Harrison appears to be a Darron Lee-type guy, but he's hurt. Justin Hilliard is going to start contributing likely at SLB. Hopefully the backups can stay healthy.

- Kerry Coomb's comedy cavalcade of cornerbacking remains impressively stacked. Denzel Ward has legitimate claim to be the fastest guy in NCAAF right now but is smaller than you'd like out of a CB1, meaning he's probably going to be mainly the FC. Damon Arnette was seen as the leader at the other spot at first, but Kendall Sheffield is athletically 5x the player he is and will probably have him beaten for BC by the fall. Coombs intends to rotate 3-4 guys at a minimum like last year, so it shouldn't actually matter much. Behind those 3, it's a lot of unproven guys, with Jeff Okudah and Shaun Wade slightly ahead of Marcus Williamson, all true freshmen.

- Damon Webb is allegedly good at safety. I don't believe it, but it would be a welcome thing. Erick Smith and Jordan Fuller are fighting for the other spot, but they're probably all 3 rotating like the corners since they're pretty similar guys and platooning appears to be the wave of the future.

- Our highly recruited kicker is still bad. Hopefully the incoming highly recruited kicker is not. Our new punter is dope though.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo you aren't kidding
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-politics/20170412/source-says-justice-trying-to-oust-marshalls-holliday-others

E: hell yeah the greenbrier, played golf there once

So does he go to Urban or Saban as an analyst?

Or I guess there's the comedy Holgo option

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

Wooster bros :respek:

At least you guys kept a cool mascot. We, (Denison), decided that we would go from the Redskins to just the Big Red, an objectively good thing...and then promptly made our mascot a loving buzzard.

My Wooster graduate dad makes this point approximately once a month.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

There's nothing to do in Granville except lie down and die from what I recall so it fits.

The worst mascot in the NCAC by far is the Oberlin Yeomen (and Yeowomen). Kenyon Lords/Ladies is pretty bad as well. And they didn't play in the conference but I hated writing about games against Heidelberg because they called their teams "The 'Berg."

As someone whose entire family grew up around Wooster, Granville is still far nicer. There are at least student bars and places where townies don't go, as opposed to the uh...ambiance of downtown Wooster. Still a residential as hell lifestyle though.

OHSAA loves to have events out at Oberlin, and it is the most depressing campus ever. It's like driving through an old community college that's been taken over by a commune. Kenyon is easily the most rural in the conference and is like being in a rural part of England from all the castle-looking building. It's oberlin with money

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Things I Hope Ohio State Fixes This Year

- Offensive playcalling that verged on Paul Johnson-like in overly relying on the run

- Teach JT Barrett how to keep his balance and not tip his shoulders/shuffle his feet mid-throw.

- Please teach the wide receivers how to properly run routes so that they're not doing things like making five step cuts on a slant

- The Offensive Line was aggressively terrible on the right side last year, especially in pass blocking. Either Isaiah Prince gets fixed, or we will start 3 quarterbacks this year.

- Use any one of the TEs on the roster for something other than blocking.

- Abuse the blitz packages this year to generate some extra sacks/pressure

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Regnevelc posted:

Arrest Warrants signed for MSU players, Donnie Corley, Josh King, and Demetric Vance. Charged with Sexual Assault.

Details look really bad

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2017/06/michigan_states_donnie_corley_1.html

Dantonio just dismissed all 3. Apparently the law firm report on what happened indicated that Dantonio and the Athletic Department complied with university policy and at least followed procedure, so this at least isn't a Briles-level shitshow.

Considering Auston Robertson got charged recently as well and the sheer number of arrests the report listed, this is a really bad look regardless.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

to bring this slightly back to football, if you genuinely complain about friends/family having fall weddings during a game, you are a lovely friend and deserve shame. You own a portable television with literally endless channels that can also instantly update you on every score. Go to the goddamn wedding.

This. I'm going to 2-3 this fall. It's really not a big deal with unlimited data/watchespn and BTN. Most of them tend to be early in the season anyways, when the only good games are going to be super primetime and something you can easily make if you actually can't fathom missing a game. Seriously, we picked our date to be as early fall as possible, and it means we're getting married the day of OSU-Rutgers in '18. Fall weddings are not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

You guys, just pick weekends where your team is playing a garbage team that's likely to be a nooner and go from there. I'm getting married the day of OSU-Rutgers in 2018, and if our ceremony is around 4-5 I'll probably see every meaningful part of that game while getting ready.

• Locked thread