Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
good ep about ukraine and russia war
bad tweet from the dweebest cuban
https://twitter.com/ShinjiTheCuban/status/1468284324084858880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Yeah I wonder what the long term effects will be for the Europeans when the rich and powerful who aren’t in the European camp start to pull out because they realize their wealth isn’t safe.

going by my local twitter, euros are still very gung-ho about sanctioning energy, as they believe it will even help curb climate change in the long run, but these are the same who were asking for nuclear intervention and i wonder if when prices go up they wont immediately start pivoting on a proxy war

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Kunster posted:

On my end (also Portuguese) there's at least one guy going on how the only people complaining are in the major cities and how everyone should just put on more sweaters, when he lives in technically an interior town with a direct bus route and doesn't go out much. Nearly every other lefty is trying to remind their audience that a PCP/be proposal to curb price gouging in gas was blocked months ago by nearly every other major party in government as the centre right's tv pet economist is finally begging for measures like that.
they prob think that all the semi-tall buildings makes heating isolation work better

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
anyway to get the old episodes as rss feed? i wanted to get them into my podcast app

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the rss link is supposed to be included with every newsletter iirc

uh thats weird, the feed i had only went from like ep 199 or smth and I got it from an email im sure
but the newsletter one has everything yeah
danke

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Mar 31, 2022

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
navalny post credits scene like iron man but zelensky is nick fury "im putting together a team"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

net work error posted:

The recent episode where they talked about Azov battalion being whitewashed in real time is happening because my lib family said I'm buying into Russian propaganda for saying they were Nazis. I can only assume it's happening everywhere.

here in portugal a local newspaper mag recently had this for its cover

"till the last drop of blood" with a famous neonazi figure on front

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the g3 were so famous you even learned about them in school in some manner like "they sucked but our military ingenuity made them work"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

in what country?

Right here in ol' Portugal. My mem is fuzzy but the feeling was tied to a national idea of perseverance over few resources and funding

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

ps did portugal really not have indoor plumbing and paved roads in the late 90s?! i knew it isn’t/wasn’t a wealthy nation, but this interview made it sound GRIM.

my cousin, ~10 years my senior, went to military service at 18, this would be late 90s, some of his bunkmates where from deep portugal and didnt knew how to write nor how to operate a shower

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

i was gonna ask how there even a “deep” portugal when it’s the size of florida, then i realized

also the north half of it is very mountainous

i say swears online posted:

portugal is the 'peaked in high school' guy

a whole reactionary movement is about it and the historical what ifs about keeping the colonies

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/Lefty_Jew/status/1528534669896994816

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Please note that this movement is filled with failsons and grandfailsons of the past (and present!) Equivalent of landed gentry.and fascists.but i repeat myself.
Imagine finally kicking these people out in the carnation revolution and then letting them back in 15 years later. loving Portugal.

All this from marcelos caetanos memoirs that if only we had kept angola and mozambique, portugal would be the new switzerland.and that this state of affairs would in any way be possible well into the 21st century. All these people have brainworms and lead poisoning.unfortunatly they control 50% of the gdp. loving portugal, man.

somehow there's a signed copy for caetanos memoire on my parents bookshelves and no one knows where it came from, the small landowners cant escape their past

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
fascism degrowed my dick

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i mean what else are you gonna do, let the other poster be wrong???

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
so i was listening to the red berets part 1 ep since i was reading parenti's book on yuguslavia and was parenti's claim about barely any graves from srebrenica were found due to the book being from 2001 or him being sloppy in trying to further his argument about the serbs being demonised?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
he makes them out to be very reactionary which like, fair, but by mud people you mean like subhuman?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
in the book, parenti name dropping mr bernard sanders for his support of the nato bombing seemed personal

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gotta say, didnt expect Tito's big econ trick to be continuously ask for loans and never pay them back

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
was the notion of a american gi taking a dead guy's identity so common that lead people to believe the kim il sung story and all the fiction characters like don draper and skinner?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
john going to chapo days before the big wins by ukraine was another unfortunate case of poor timing

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Sep 14, 2022

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1586386405915496448

Mark should take a page from Dolan's and stop doing predictions

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

for some reason I kept confusing taibi with yglesias until this video

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1614316021073985545

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
now that i noticed think I posted the above tweet on the wrong thread lol

runaway pancake posted:

mark's gonna be asking guests 10 years from now if they too were blindsided when russia invaded ukraine

I'm listening to the latest episode and lol like ofc this ex ranger won't say it was the US blowing the pipeline, mark

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
do they have any income besides the pod? that prob doesn't help neither

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
lmao
poor john and mark, they can't win

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
good ep with ben aris but kinda laughing at his callousness of sanctions that if they had cut russia's gas and oil revenue there would be tumults, government would collapse, total chaos then they would make a deal

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

i remember my own mindset at the time. i remember being in favour of the economic warfare efforts specifically because i reckoned that the damage would be less than the damage of a continued war; i had been persuaded that the war could be ended by this effect, which would be short and painful but would almost certainly not end in a nuclear war.

idk if i stand by that reasoning now, but if that's the calculus it makes sense that you have to embrace this sort of callousness for a greater good of some kind. i certainly feel a little mad now that everyone's quietly dropped the actual objective of the sanctions; critical discussion seems to have completely evaporated.

yeah i can sympathize with it a lot, because short of going on a all out war what else you do in the EU's position, esp after a early peace deal seems to have been blocked, which is something I thought Ben would reflect on but he just seems to gloss over

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
hersh is great, no bullshit, just shrugging and going "what do you think, man?"
what was hersh's relationship with mark, mark got his start with him or smth? he also mentioned a debt when logging off

fatelvis posted:

I'm not sure I understood this, because he implied that what would happen is Europe would keep the money, but gasprom would keep pumping the gas because 'laws'.

Seems to me they would just stop pumping gas and gently caress Europe up?

what i understood is cutting russia from their main external capital it would lead to basically societal breakdown

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Feb 13, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

fatelvis posted:

Yeah, but were they not saying earlier that cutting off gas to Europe would be a disaster for Europe.

I get that cutting off Russia's money could have the desired effect of their government collapsing. I just don't understand why he would think they would keep pumping the gas? Does anyone really think that Russia would give a poo poo about "look, we technically paid you, but the money is held in escrow and you can't have it because sanctions".

Maybe I misunderstood what he was getting at.

I guess that's what they ended up doing because the working notion, before the pipeline got bombed, was that they would eventually resume pumping gas, but yeah I dont see how that would hold in a scenario where they would hold all revenues hostage

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

seymour hersh is very nice. i have no idea why people think he was being mean.

Yeah but I think me and others are reacting more to how assertive he was and controlled the flow of the interview

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Nah wouldn't go so far as saying chilling, friendly sure but Mark seemed on his toes like trying to impresse some elder figure he admires

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the georgian lady, why?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I havent heard everything yet but the first mins she was complaining mostly about how dumb and reactionary georgians are

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

crepeface posted:

only partially related, but im lollin' at this sy hersh interview in contrast to ames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ev4cMILOXc

if anything he's a harder rear end on this one lol

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

lol he kinda cut her down to size a little bit there. "lemme tell you something about my country... my sources swore an oath to the constitution... not the president"

all the presidents men moment right there

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Remulak posted:

Nothing after Hersh shows up in ‘Posts’ even though other, cheaper podcasts show for every release. As fun as it would be to have John do tech support I’ll take it up with Patreon.

No newsletters since 2022 either, hmm.

I had to update my patreon rss when re-payment failed because patreon payment system is kinda bad

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
In what way? Mass protests leading to a being coopted by right wing movements or deflating further efforts seems pretty 2020s

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It resonates with me because there's tons of protests happening in eruope about like nationalised healthcare being strip down, education etc... And nothing happens

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Great interview, curious to read the book but lol even this guest had to constantly reaffirm his stance against hamas at every opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Oh wow dolans exactly like that drawing of his on the patreon