Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

twoday posted:

this appears to be a replica of baroque 7 stringed viola, and costs $1800

It is the wisest choice for playing and collecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

echinopsis posted:

I've been looking for a mini blower for a while. Those cans are good but they don't last me years, I have lots of use cases for them.

You don't already have a hair dryer around the house?
I think you can find one locally at a thrift shop for less than that blower costs.

Edit: That hand pump is a better idea, probably.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 25, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Just wait until you see the counterfeit Yamaha instruments, bearing the logo of Yamaha Motors.

vs

Yes, both of these are the real logos but the top one goes on french horns and the bottom one goes on a boat engine.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hirayuki posted:

I was browsing around and buying stuff off my wish list for the 11.11 sale when I ran into this, which is inexplicably not played up or indeed mentioned in its listing at all, and which I love to absolute pieces (:haw:) but cannot use or justify or think of anyone to gift it to. I hope someone here can.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804052834218.html

Are those LEGO-compatible?
They have the Winniebago from Space Balls...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003192613257.html

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dang it looks cool but also pretty darn small and $30? That's kinda approaching 'official version' pricing :/

It’s about $120 if you buy the original instruction and official parts on Bricklink.

https://www.brickvault.toys/products/eagle-5-minifig-scale

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

That one is awesome! I can't find it in the shop (maybe because I don't know how to switch it to English). Do you have a direct link?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flavor.flv posted:

Does anybody have a line on some silicone replacement lids for glass containers? These things:

https://a.co/d/dvsDix4

I know they have to be on ali somewhere, but damned if I can find them. I can find plastic lids and I can find those stretchy silicone lids, but not fitted ones for these containers

I wouldn't put anything I bought on Ali anywhere near food I'm going to eat or feed to someone I cared about.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Geez guys if you want to live dangerously cheap sunglasses are not the way to go.

How about a $3 menstrual cup? Pretty colours. For those not in the know, menstrual cups are usually at least 10X that price so this is suspiciously cheap.

But if you want to live dangerously with something that doesn't go inside you, how about medical equipment? A CPAP mask for $30, about 1/4 the price you'd pay from a medical professional. What's the worst that could happen? Suffocation???

I don't know if you are seriously looking for an answer on "how can these things be this cheap direct from China" or if you're just making a light-hearted post about things that go on the body and we would prefer not to be toxic/dangerous.

I think it's the latter, but just in case it's the former: The shop you'd usually get these from are paying approximately the same price as you are on Aliexpress (plus bulk discounts). Then they add on their overhead (real estate, sales salaries, marketing, management, QA, legal, 10% profit margin...) and you get that 4x to 10x increase.

The problem for you as a consumer is, you really want that QA and legal to do their work, to avoid getting malfunctioning or dangerous products, but you don't want to pay the rest of the overhead. Hence we sit here, taking chances on Aliexpress.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Those make so little sense.

The error codes are HTTP codes - the things a web server would return to a browser when something is wrong. But they've dressed them up in Windows XP (?) error dialogs. And then tacked on playing card values because they seem to expect people to want to use weird cards to play poker?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 28, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Yeesh, that is hosed up.

I wish I still worked in a place where
A) I could get away with edgy jokes on a shirt
B) anyone would get the reference

(In case anyone doesn’t know Anthony is a pervert, here is a well formulated case against his works. https://www.filfre.net/2019/12/companions-of-xanth-preceded-by-the-worrisome-case-of-piers-anthony/)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 1, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I'm amazed that people ever buy things off Aliexpress that either:

1. Plug into anything expensive (including the wall)
2. Touch the skin directly
3. Is consumed

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Alucard posted:

You could make the same argument for Amazon stuff since a good chunk of it is the same poo poo as on AE. I'd probably amend the plug into the wall thing with a limit on how much wattage gotta through it, or an mAh limit.

I don't shop on Amazon either, by virtue of not being in a country where Amazon is worth a drat, but I guess Amazon is not only non-name junk brands or fakes, like AliE is?

Of course, any reseller can let dangerous products through from time to time. A friend of mine recently had the misfortune of forgetting to wash some new sheets before first use, and her daughter came out in a pretty severe allergic rash that required treatment with heavy steroids. I don't think she bought them off Ali or Amazon but at a brick&mortar store. Anyway, that's the reason I don't buy my Teeth Cleansing Whitening Mousse or Scrotum Smoothing Cream online.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Could these be specific "toilet slippers"? Not sure if that's a thing in China but they are in Japan. Could explain the weird name.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jelly posted:

Depends what your definition of cheap is. I just bought this 2-pack with zero research and I'm pretty happy with them so far. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WHQFJ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No no, see, that is a tactical flashlight. What he needs is a strategic one. One that can light up a city on a neighboring continent.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So in November I ordered the Space Balls Winnebago from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003192613257.html

I knew it would be a rip-off of someone's labor of love off Rebrickable, and it turns out it's this:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-37608/MOMAtteo79/spaceballs-eagle-5/#details

Went and bought the original PDF as well, because of course. Finally was bored enough to assemble it with the 4-year-old yesterday because she was home with a cold and the weather was crap.

Review

* Quality of parts: Good. Some feel a bit tight, but nothing unmanageable. Don't think I could distinguish these from genuine Lego bricks in a blind test.

* Quality of instructions: Decent. It's the original PDF, with serial numbers filed off. They added a page at the beginning about a substituted part. The wing assemblies are a bit over-complicated. Can't blame the Chinese for that. No problem completing the build. Definitely needs supervision from someone 10+.

* Missing parts:
No bricks missing.
Stickers for I<3URANUS bumper sticker and EAGLE 5 plates not included (which notably is not mentioned on the shop page). Images for those stickers ALSO not included.
Minifigs not included (they were not in the store pic so was not expecting any).
Two printed slopes (instrument panel) replaced with blank grey and white slopes. I think I have some of those at my mom's house...
The substituted part is this one:

I mean, that's a bullshit part to use in a build so I don't blame the Ali sellers. That's about the only effort they put into this business though.

* Price: A little cheaper than going on Bricklink. Like, 15%. Saves the effort of visiting multiple stores. None of them has more than 90% of the parts currently.

Overall: The feeling of buying a cheaper, Chinese rip-off version of a quality toy.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 19, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's definitely on and vibrating, and I used a solution of iso alcohol and warm water. I left it in the stove half an hour and nothing is noticeably cleaner. It's this user error or is my stuff just too dirty?

I have a lower-end ultrasonic cleaner of a pretty small size, that I got used from a friend. It's sold at a brick-and-mortar store so I think it's the real deal, but low-cost. If I plop a dirty coin in there with some dishwasher detergent, I can see the grime come off and the water gets muddy in like 10 seconds. It doesn't work all that well for "complex" shapes like inside tubes, but for jewelry it's fine.

So try replacing the alcohol with Dawn or whatever - depending on what the dirt is, it might not be very soluble in alcohol.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flashy_mcflash posted:

This one:
C$ 4.53 40%OFF | Smart Ultrasonic Cleaner USB Charging/battery Powered Glasses Cleaning Machine Home 360 Degree All-round Deep Cleaning Products
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0S8TSm

Why is it battery powered though

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Ok here’s one I think might actually be a really good buy (if you don’t have big feet): US $24.00 30% Off | New Vanmie Winter Men Boots 2023 Men's Spring Boots Ankle Boots for Men Fashion Caterpillar Shoes Ankle Male Booties
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPaEsHu

These look identical to the ones sold in the US for 2.5-3x the price. If they had a little bit bigger sizes I’d test the theory. As is I might have to go for some others that are everywhere on AE (and similar).
I think they look pretty good, have to see I guess.

You need a bigger size than Euro 46?

Are you the Hulk?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you don't use them as boots, maybe. Those remind me of a pair of I think Timberland boots I had where I discovered the stitching on the sole was purely decorative and they were somehow even less waterproof than they looked like they should be. If you're just getting them for fashion and wearing like normal footwear they might be okay, at least for a while. Or, hell, maybe they're great and I'm just overly cynical.

I think it's the expected norm for footwear these days, that the sole stitches are decorative. I think they've done glued-only soles for decades now. Unless you're buying custom hand made luxury footwear, at least. I could be wrong but that's been my impression.

Edit: Also lol at thinking you're looking at pictures of the actual boot you'll receive. :-D The color variants also feature different variants of hooks, and not just different color hooks either, so I think it's the usual Ali lottery as to what it will actually look like. The little tab on the back of the shoe (the one you pull on when putting it on) is different across colors, as well.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 13, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I'll hold out for when they make shoes with this design:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Receiver Wireless Audio Receiver Adapter with 3D Bass Mode for Home Stereo TF Card RCA 3.5 AUX Jack

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGufBtF

Got one of these in the post today, perfect for wiring into the amp in the front room with the big speakers attached to play tunes from my phone / iPad. Pairs up no problem, solid bt connection with no drops. Don't think I'll need to use the twisty knob for next/prev tracks, but if you wanted wireless music in your car it could be useful.

Looks like just what I need, so it's great to have your review of it.

Love that it has a Lotus Hole that can be connected with a Fancy Wire.

"TF card", though? It doesn't actually work with a modern micro-SD card? (Or do the Chinese simply refer to SD cards as the older TF name? Not that I'd ever use it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
This looks like the same product, minus the big stupid knob. (Why would anyone ever put this at less than maximum volume? Assuming you plug it in to a stereo or AVR, ideally it should run at line level and the volume should be controlled from your smartphone.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004560884459.html

Considering getting this instead.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flavor.flv posted:

I'm surprised this is the first time you're encountering that, every cheap Chinese card reader has used "TF card" to mean microSD since they were invented

Let's say I recently discovered Aliexpress.

Anyway, they have an optical-output model, I think I'll change my mind to that, even though it has the stupid knob and no NFC. Surely all-digital is the way to go!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004707358620.html

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Let's say I recently discovered Aliexpress.

Anyway, they have an optical-output model, I think I'll change my mind to that, even though it has the stupid knob and no NFC. Surely all-digital is the way to go!

Bought this one. Will review, whenever.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Nothing to do with Ali Express but I also inherited a pair of sugar scissors, which are great for halving medicine tablets:

thank you for reading.

I'm here on behalf of your friendly neighbourhood pharmacist to say: Don't do this. Buy the appropriate dosage.

Hirayuki posted:

Pocket Bluetooth Speaker Bone Conduction Wireless Stereo Soundbar Under Pillow Music Box Built-in White Noise Improve Sleep
I don't know if it's actual bone conduction, but I hear it fine through my pillow regardless.

Hint: If it doesn't touch your skull bone, it's not using bone conduction. That's just a small, flat, bluetooth speaker. Aliexpress sellers make up whatever word salad they think will sell units - and of course, they're not wrong because if you put that thing against your temple, you'll indeed be hearing with bone conduction! (Also through your outer ears.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 15, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Subjunctive posted:

Man if that works on carrots I might have to buy one. Fuckin’ hate dicing carrots.

I hate that, too, so I solved it by never dicing carrots.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This arrived in the mail yesterday. Cables are included:
* USB-A to USB-C for power (power adaptor not included)
* RCA cable for coaxial S/PDIF
* Aux cable (stereo mini-plug (TRS))
* S/PDIF fiber optical cable

About all I can say about it is that it works. I get sound into my AVR and it doesn't seem to add any noise - one win for S/PDIF coaxial. Didn't test the optical or aux, and I never intend to. Will not use the SD card reader.

The big stupid knob raises or lowers the volume if you hold it for half a second, which is reflected in the volume on your phone, as is expected with bluetooth devices. So, volume is more conveniently handled on the transmitting phone. This one will go inside my entertainment center so I plan to promptly forget about the knob.

I have not done any critical listening yet but I assume this uses some fairly lovely bluetooth profile which hifi nerds would scoff at. Whatever, I'm over 40 so I don't exactly have golden ears anymore.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

coldpudding posted:

I have become a big fan of these automatic belts https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...1200004682958_1
I found that the quick adjustability makes them a lot more comfortable for me to wear throughout my workday, the downside is the plastic coating on the low grade leather starts to come off after a couple years of use but that's no different to any of the belts I can find most shops.

I had a similar belt that I bought in South East Asia. Big ol' BMW logo. Adjusts in very small steps without holes. Cost nearly nothing, laster me about 2 years before it the fake leather wore down. Loved it, I wish they sold them locally!

If you see it flaking, of a "coating" coming off, that's because it's not real leather. Despite what the ad says. I don't believe they put any plastic coatings on real leather, rather just impregnation with oils or waxes. Fake leather is generally some textile coated in rubber/plastic coating, though. The real cheap stuff can even be backed by cardboard.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

freelop posted:

Robert Cop 2 is a side scrolling shooter

https://tackleford.fandom.com/wiki/Robert_Cop

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeesh. Nothing that goes on the skin, nothing that plugs into the wall, nothing that touches food. Next rule for AliExpress: Nothing that is designed to go in the mouth of children.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ekuNNN posted:

This isn't really true, in my experience. Maybe not like specifically power units or anything but apart from that I've got a lot of stuff electrical from ali that's all worked fine.

To each his own, I guess. I have fire insurance, of course, but to me the peace of mind is worth the premium of getting the equivalent genuinely-CE-certified widget from a local/regional vendor who are likely to recall dangerous products that might slip through their QA.

A very small percentage of the stuff I look for on Aliexpress is AC powered these days anyway. Almost everything charges by USB...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bored posted:

Aren’t there less messy methods?

You leave the fish to flop around helplessly in the bottom of the boat. It's trying desperately to breathe yet it's drowning slowly in the clean air. The fish is making little jumps, trying to get over the side of the boat but it can't, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004815653595.html

I gotta get me one of these magnetic phone belt clips. Look how cool these guys are!

Edit: I'm actually there shopping for one of these, to stealthily fit an AirTag on my bike. Already got one of the wife's by hiding it in a disused old front light. (Connected to her apple ID, of course. Privacy first! But not for bike thieves.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004578508339.html

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 8, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

yoloer420 posted:

It's very easy to detect them if you're looking for it specifically. But most people stealing bikes probably aren't.

There are apps available to detect them, yes. But you don't get an accurate-enough reading to tell if it's coming from this bike or from a different one within bluetooth range.
They'd have to first steal it, take it some ways away and then check the app for trackers. Then spend several minutes searching for it, including some disassembly of the bike. Then, I guess, worst case, they find my tracker and discard it. Then, they have to re-assemble the bike... At least slows them down somewhat.
Of course, I'm still out one bike, but it's almost worth the $25 to inconvenience them.

The local bike thief is kind of an idiot, though. He puts stolen bikes in his own yard and sells them from there on Marketplace. Gets caught ever so often but still seems be on the street most of the time. Bike theft is not prison-time worthy here. I doubt he knows how to work a tracker scanning app, and I suspect the same goes for most of the druggies. At least I know look in his yard, first, even if the tracker doesn't work...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 9, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Dammit, I'm looking for a slide hammer for using once and then never again. I figured Aliexpress would have the perfect hunk of junk at a lower price than my local hardware chain. And of course, there's one, at $10. Except you click through, and the shipping is $50.

Well, off to the hardware store I go, I guess...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
It's just the usual Ali word salad. Don't expect the words on there to mean things.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yes. In all parts of the world except the English on Chinese shopping sites.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

St_Ides posted:

I bought some very grown-up and professional socks.

15 days from order to delivery though. Not bad.

Link?

(Can we make it probatable to post good stuff without links, or something?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Anyone find a decent fiberoptic “inspection camera” with a bluetooth, Wi-Fi or lightning connection? Even USB-C might work for me.

I have this thing I got off Wish.com years ago which still works but it’s micro-USB and I’m about to no longer have a compatible phone/tablet. It had lousy focus anyway.

Looking for something very flexible to around fairly tight bends.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know if there are any with wifi/bt - you have to have the cable anyway so they usually plug into a phone or come with their own display. I've had one like this for years that has : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005210439430.html and tehre are some with lightning or usb-c: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005411414338.html

Thanks for the advice on specific devices!
Looks like about the same device as I already have, but with different connectors. Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ha, wow, I've never seen a "flip-up" USB/MicroUSB convertible plug before:

Same weird flip-convert connector on my previous endoscope. It worked twice, then it broke down and now only works as a Micro-USB. Which is why I need a new one... The old micro-USB tablet is giving up the ghost.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 20, 2023