Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I came in expecting bad, instead I got good, I got very very good. I love these gay dragon animes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

They can leave that part out too, I'm talking more about the whole "humans and dragons can't coexist" thing - seeing as how that plot point seems to be emphasized in the anime, it's a fairly relevant arc to have. They can trigger it with another character, ignore the weird Iruru bits, and end on a very salient "humans and dragons can coexist just fine" note.

I'd argue that that point is being made perfectly well without that character existing at all. Like, we have every episode having moments of 'haha ok I do genuinely enjoy having these dragons around but it's fuckin bonkers that they can blow up mountains and curse humans to death and have to constantly hold that stuff back to live with me'. I haven't read the source material so I don't know about this character but going by your post it sounds like she'd be useful to the story but not really needed at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Not only was this adorable the bit in the uniform store where a lesson on how humans often fear and hurt things that are different is given by a woman who at the most conservative reading is still a single maid otaku who's raising a kid that isn't hers with the help of her very odd friends was actually legit sweet.

I love this dumb gay Dragon show. I never heard of the manga before but now I need to get it too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I somehow missed that the human girl with the fivehead has a straight up spotlight reflection coming off it when I first watched. She better be a reoccurring character since she's in the opening and all because she's the best human not named Kobayashi

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chumbler posted:

Kobayashi's speech in the latest episode has a lot more meaning if you think she's a closeted lesbian.

That being said, there isn't really anything in the story that strictly depends on her orientation.

seriously I danced around it before but now with this dumb poo poo there's no way to pretend there weren't heavy undertones of 'get it, girl who's super into me and I keep being awkward and standoffish with? Society tends to grind down people who are too different or odd, so it's very hard to be 'special' sometimes'. I don't know if this was in the manga or not but the sub is at least very much leaning to 'Kobayashi is probably in the closet'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macdoo posted:

Also thank you to all of you for defending the TRUE and GOOD gay dragon mom show from homophobes

sometimes a family is a mom and a dad, sometimes a family is just a mom or just a dad, sometimes a family is two moms or two dads. Sometimes a family is a bunch of dragons and an office lady who likes maids way too much. These are all good families.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I imagine all posts, including my own, read by Iron Shiek

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ranzear posted:

Now I'm hearing it in Iron Giant.

su

per

gay

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm happy my state of Texas has good taste

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I fully respect someone not liking the tittydragon bit this ep but I thought it was funny as someone who has no manga context for how it played out there and all. It's dumb fan-service poo poo but they use the music and art and all to make it more light hearted than overtly "CHECK THESE TITTIES OUT". Dumb and probably not needed in the grand scheme, sure, but at least they made it funny, that's worth a few points at least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stairmaster posted:

fafnir is a top

Fafnir is 100% a powerbottom how is this even up for debate????

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Comrade Kirov posted:

There is something very strange when it's the same Kanna face on a very tall body...

Please do not post tall Kanna

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Fan Theory: what of Kanna and Renge are the same.

Just, like, the exact same character.

SUPPORTING PROOF:
-both powerful
-both the best
-both adorable
-both powerful
-Renge has never once said 'I am not a dragon'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gayest and thus best episode yet.

Kanna has her own labeled charger and two moms who want to make her lunch, a blessed child.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Kanna doesn't really sound 'childish' to me in either version but I figured that's the joke, since, ya know, she's a dragon and even their kids are more mature and all.

Unless you do like Sweetness and Lightning and get an actual child to do the voice it'll never sound fully 'right' and most people don't want to do that for pretty good reasons like 'oh gently caress puberty probably won't line up with our airing' and 'also managing kids can really suck rear end'. That said I think dub Kanna sounds bad because she sounds incredibly like a grown woman doing some kinda 'baby voice', while normal Kanna is just kinda sounding like a normal person maybe pitching their voice down a bit and using more childish language.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Hussie" would have been very fitting for an angry dragon

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Poil posted:

That's far too many more years in school. :gonk:

she's gonna be so good at coloring

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Command Ant posted:

Kanna is such a good girl, always caring about the people in her life. :kimchi:

The various reactions of the men and women in this audience are all hilarious.

They told everyone that Lucoa is Shouta's sister and everyone looked at her, looked at Shouta, and saw enough of a resemblance to believe it.

I really love that everyone just accepts the dragon bullshit around them. Like, it's super clearly supposed to be a normal real world setting but there's just this weird white haired kid who comes in gothic lolita clothes to school and everyone's just all 'yea she's cool' and a cosplay maid with horns comes to cheer her on with what's clearly her other mom who's just some random salarywoman neither of whom look anything like the kid.

Also there's some blonde lady with dyed hair tips and tits the size of someone's head who's cheering for her little brother, a tiny purple haired dork who super didn't have an older sister a few days ago.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

She moved back in when that job didn't pan out please don't make fun of her

she left on VERY bad terms with her co-workers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chumbler posted:

They should stop bullying my friend Elma so much, tempting as it may be.

Elma got to hang out with her one true love at the end, a big bag of steamed buns

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it seems like it's the typical 'chaos can also mean overthrowing a cruel tyrant, order can also mean oppressing people's freedom and individuality' thing, so you wind up with Fafnir and his 'murder every human they all suck curse them all' and Sweet Gay Tohru probably just wanting to gently caress off and be left alone on the same side.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

What good friends they are.

Official bluray extras.

Funimation: "We were just following the original intent when we changed 'you're not really my type' to 'I'm not into women' in the dub"

Official bluray: 'Here's a picture of a gay dragon wedding'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not just about Kobayashi.

Kobayashi says "You know I'm a woman, right" and Tohru keeps pursuing her, it means that Tohru doesn't care that Kobayashi is a woman

Kobayashi says "I'm not into women" and Tohru keeps pursuing her, it means that Tohru doesn't care what Kobayashi wants.

yea that's my biggest issue. Going from 'you get I'm a woman and this implies I'm making it clear in MY culture this is a very odd relationship even if you weren't an ancient dragon of chaos too' to 'I'm not into women, implying I'm a woman who identifies as straight and has no interest in getting into a relationship with you' makes Tohru go from a libertine outsider who doesn't really give a poo poo about human norms to...just kinda a predatory rear end in a top hat. It's the same general arc but when you have an already existing perfectly good not quasi-predatory beginning the change is just gross.

Also yea Kobayashi is clearly super into women from episode 1, she's more than happy to ramble about her maid fetish and all, so turning it from 'alright maybe she needs a few drinks and a good social bond with someone before she opens up but there's clearly no real SHAME here' to closet case stuff is kinda lame too. Just let the anime nerd be gay, she likes maids and that's OK.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeruel posted:

I don't mind Lucoa titillation, but going full T&A on Shouta is no bueno.
More of Demons out, Blessings in! Less, well, shouta-con.

Yea the character works way better in moments like that and him just grimly accepting she'd work for "World Class" and all. Like, make her the kinda ditzy older sister type to him, that's way more fun than 'this dragon keeps trying to molest a child'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
<- Tohru's Fault is the most useful label

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm glad the ad copy was meant to read 'we're just as shocked as you, frankly. We're BOTH being let down in each other here'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
She was the flower girl but she ate those too.

Feed your daughter, Kobayashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

Everything with Lucoa that isn't the "Lucoa accidentally molests Shota" joke is adorable and the best.

yea that's what makes 'and here she is just molesting a kid' especially lovely, because every other thing about her is great. She's a sassy ex(?)-goddess who wants to make others happy and take care of her friends but her ditziness and impulsiveness get in the way. That's a fun character! Stuff like the 'world class' scavenger hunt bit and all is a funny way to do the whole 'she's Shouta's hot big sister who embarrasses him' joke. It just gets wrecked with 'and also she just kinda sexually assaults him'.

• Locked thread