Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The ship designer could really benefit from being slightly more fiddly, in that all of the customization feels a little useless without the ability to put particular ship classes into particular places in the formation. As it is I would never want to make a brawler battleship with, say, autocannons for example because they start at the back, whereas if I could put them at the head of the formation to attract the enemy's attention, do tons of damage, and provide cover for the corvettes to zip in from the middle and unleash their torpedoes...

Well, it'd be the best combat system this side of Dominions most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wiz posted:

The real problem is the lack of NATO counters imho.

We've got you covered when Death Stars make it in:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

I dont see why we should have spaceships in a space game.

Agreed, why aren't we sailing around on galleons between the stars?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Conskill posted:

The way the mechanic is portrayed adds to a complaint I have about the planet-level Stellaris experience: when you get enough tech, the whole appearance and feel of planets get very homogeneous. Geological features are (or appear to be) bulldozed away, and planetary climates / graphics get standardized via terraforming.

I'd love to have a reason to keep some visual diversity and show some geological features in my planets.

Yeah, it would be really cool if removing the blocker transformed the tile into a visually distinct tile based on the blocker's type. A kelp forest transforms into a bunch of kelp surrounding an underwater dome, etc.

Maybe even have a chance for resource bonuses given by these special tiles? The kelp forest provides +1 food now that it's tamed and farmed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nevets posted:

How would that work with terraforming, though? Right now you find an desert planet filled with mountain ranges & you terraform it into an ocean paradise for your fish aliens and obviously the mountains all go away. But if the mountain tiles had bonuses do those stay even after terraforming, or do they disappear?

Maybe you could get an equivalent number of tile features that are appropriate for the new planet type?

Or maybe terraforming could give you a certain number of "feature points" similar to the limits on genetic engineering that would let you toss down the tiles you want.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I mean, the issue with artificial neural networks is that they're basically artificial animals, because we don't know how to generate most of the high-level abstract behavior that a human can engage in but most animals can't. You're going to need quite a while to evolve something that's more or less functionally equivalent to an insect brain, like the Jeopardy engine, into something that can evaluate a Paradox game.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 26, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Have you followed that team that taught their AI to play Brood War on ladder?

It's not too surprising that an artificial insect can play as the Zerg, really. Starcraft's all about "gather resources/conquer territory" which happens to be a type of behavior that neurons are really, really good at generating.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kitchner posted:

+ Added Sweden Jan Mayen as playable nation

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

taking other ethos points is disrespectful to The Hive imo

imagine a hive mind, but the mind that emerges is functionally identical to jeb!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, this was my reaction. It's way too slow to appeal on any level to that type of player. These are the kind of people who can't play a single match/game for more than an hour and not be bored, I really can't understand the fear or loathing toward that sort of gamer.

you are taking his exact wording too literally. the paradox equivalent of the "e-sports" type exists, they're just super groggy instead of twitchy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

paradox tore away my ability to feel gluten-free

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's more that mechanically I didn't really understand why you could just ask them to do it and they would agree.

Again it didn't occur to me that getting people to kill themselves on the scale of several planets could be a negotiating option.

It isn't, necessarily - it's a war goal. Realistically, you are probably just preventing evacuation and killing them yourself instead!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

It took me way too long to get that joke.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

spectralent posted:

Aaah I follow. Yeah, once you have played a nation there's not much reason to replay.

I can never resist replaying nations - by the time I quit a run I'm always thinking about ways to do it better or just differently.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Having played for a similarly significant amount of time I've decided that what I want is CK2 in space, basically. Sectors are intended to remove micromanagement, but since there's not a huge overwhelming amount of things to do in this game, I find the micromanagement entirely bearable, especially when the behaviours of sectors is suboptimal and I can't rely on them to run the way I want. But I wouldn't mind all that if sectors had interesting gameplay (and in a game like this a "story" is part of the gameplay) which came out of it. I don't mind the demesne limit in CK2 because it generates interesting outcomes.

The best way for that to happen is a stronger character focus. Sectors should elect governors in Democracies and Oligarchies, be inherited in Imperial states, and be appointable only in Dictatorships. Characters should have ethics which influence their interactions with the state and their sector, pushing for things like lower taxes, a large garrisoned army to reduce unrest, a wormhole station in every inhabited system in the sector, a hydroponic-focused habitat to alleviate food poverty, etc etc.

Or If my president is from the Egalitarian faction, I'd like events where we campaign to elect the egalitarian candidate for governor in the Delphic Sector, or maybe I'm pushing to get Authoritarian governors elected because I want to change the authority level to Imperial without triggering a massive civil war. And maybe when I do it too early some fanatic egalitarian governors form an alliance and spark a civil war anyway seeking to reimpose democracy or split away.

Right now Governors aren't actual characters, they're stickers I can barely afford, which I can stick on a sector to make it marginally better. That's boring.

and then convert pops to vicky pops

not being ironic here at all

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bholder posted:

Population being represented by some numbers and percentages is pretty horrible and uninteresting.

correct

it's a good thing that's not all the vicky pop system is

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wiz posted:

Can invade, enlighten or infiltrate as normal.

"Ah, my identity has been exposed. Let me explain. We are here to make you very, very comfortable."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

At the risk of being extremely rude, I am going to bet on this thread having at least some people interested in sci-fi government sims and plug the one I am currently running in The Game Room subforum. It takes place on a small ex-colony in the far reaches of colonized space, after a revolution has overthrown the kleptocratic autocracy that was in charge for about thirty years. There are elections, plenty of government roles, heated debates over policy and factional tensions under the surface. We are currently accepting candidates for the upcoming municipal elections and could use some more players willing to run independently or with a minor party.

this game is very cool but needs more attention to be even better

think of it as the crete LP but with no game mechanics getting in the way of your furious debates over fictional politics

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fellblade posted:

What makes the game(s) less playable now compared to before the DLC came out?

they're balanced around a full-DLC experience. EU4 suffers from it a lot more than CK2, especially with certain DLC being very very important. now, if you transitioned back to a patch when your currently-owned DLC is the only DLC extant using steam's version changer thing, then it wouldn't be much of an issue if you don't care about newer content in any way at all.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

1stGear posted:

Static lore is antithetical to Paradox's design philosophy. Their grand strategy games have always been about letting the player forge their own story.

on the other hand, there's a very deep lore behind other paradox games called "history"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, blatantly cheating AI can often be a rather unenjoyable gameplay experience because it can make a bunch of stuff you do unimportant, like territory if the AI just gets a bunch of free money magically, but for stuff that the AI can't quite manage the specifics of you could gloss over a bit. The AI can't complain if you modelled its empire splitting with events rather than in depth sector mechanics.

and events can really be quite in-depth in and of themselves in the clausewitz engine. wiz was able to pull off a very complicated faction system in ck2+ with just event scripting. an AI-friendly version of a complex mechanic doesn't have to be predictable or strictly inferior to the player version

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I watched Arumba stream Stellaris earlier and it was goddamn hilarious. He hasn't read any patch notes or dev blogs and blithely assumes things about the mechanics that aren't true, then gets super pissy when things don't work for him.

It was honestly pretty unprofessional for a streamer his size and if i was Wiz I'd have doubts sending him another review copy.

arumba is routinely boggled by basic concepts and is entirely unwilling to read most ingame text

there are ck2 videos that he recorded after years of playing the game where he is tripped up for an hour by things like misreading priestess as princess over and over and over as he tries to figure out why the game thinks he isn't related by marriage to the nearby king he's trying to ally (because he wasn't)

he's tolerable enough when he's learning a game because he doesn't expect to be able to play without thinking or reading, but if he thinks he already knows it all then he's unwatchable

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

also, somebody will make a mod that reimplements the three FTL types for sure. borders are probably going to be harder to revert to the current blob-push model though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is it too late to get my money back?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the game sucks. I've enjoyed the time I spent in Stellaris. However, I have one unyeilding hatred in space 4x games - hyperlanes.

My loathing for hyperlanes is such that I absolutely, unequivocably refuse to buy any space 4x that forces them on me. It doesn't matter how amazingly awesome every single other thing in the game is, I won't buy it. Period.

The single biggest selling point in Stellaris for me was that I wasn't forced into the single most illogical and unrealistic form of space transport ever devised by small minds, and now I find that has changed.

While I won't actually bother to attempt to get a refund, I will be uninstalling this game as soon as I finish this post. I won't be buying anything from this developer again.

why not wait and see if a mod puts warp and wormhole back in

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sedisp posted:

So is it fine to go with Egalitarians and the Bio ascension path or wold the lack of resettlement cripple it?

just don't go fanatic egalitarian; regular egalitarian lets you resettle at the cost of -10% happiness to one of your prominent factions, which isn't that big of a deal

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sedisp posted:

The biggest thing that I didn't really get is resettlement seems required when I thought you could just gene mod an entire planet as well as a specific species.

you can mod species by planet, yeah. however juggling pops around between planets is very useful to obtain the right proportion of the right species for each task on as many planets as you are interested in microing to that degree. the biological path is definitely the most fiddly of the three, but very powerful if you're efficiently moving pops around

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i can understand being really attached to a particular version of a game. ck2 was best balanced with ck2+ enabled just after old gods came out, in my opinion, and a lot of changes have taken the game in directions i don't necessarily agree with.

but paradox makes it easier than any other company to revert to any version that's ever existed, and while freezing your version does make modding somewhat more effort, the option is at least there to try to put together what you want to play even after the game has moved on

besides, the star trek mod is going to still want to use warp. i wouldn't be surprised if there's a defines setting that at least re-enables warp, wormhole might be more permanently dead though you could probably hack something kind of similar together from modding the gate system

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its not that bad last time I played it (just before Mystics and Monks). Though I also always thought CK2+ was a dumb mod so what do I know.

it was very dumb for a while after wiz was hired by paradox and a fairly sloppy team decided to revive it

the current version isn't bad really, both the base game and the mod are good again. ck2+ was amazing in its heyday though because wiz stretched the event system to its absolute limits to create entire new systems and hand-tweaked the balance to perfection. he was hired for a reason!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GotLag posted:

God drat it I want to give you my money Paradox, won't you at least tell me why I can't?

Is the lack of detail because it's a legal issue? All I can find is it will apparently be "weeks" before the store will accept payments from my region:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-sale.1061409/#post-23818353

it's because getting every bank and credit card issuer in a region to acknowledge the paradox store as a legitimate vendor for people in their region to be using, even though paradox is in europe, is presumably a pretty lengthy process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the new early game is very good - more tense, much less luck

a few of the timed special projects maybe need their timer lengthened though - getting a construction ship to the ones that need construction ships is nearly impossible if it's more than 5 jumps away

• Locked thread