Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there a mod to keep other empires from sharing my map color? I just started the second game in a row where my neighbor has the exact same color as me, making the map very confusing as our empires ran into each other. Normally sharing my empire's color and a mutual border is an unpardonable sin and the only cure is total extermination, but this time around they formed a defensive pact with an advanced start neighbor who has an overwhelming fleet superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there any benefit to having slaves over robots? I made a race of lazy slave owning cats who start out with a docile slave race. Since you can't limit reproduction on a per planet basis I always end up with a bad ratio of cats to slaves on each planet. Since the slaves are perpetually super pissed off, if they end up running a energy or science producing building (although letting them run the military academy seems like it should have its own event) I get crap results. The cats get mildly pissed off if there isn't a slave on the planet so I can't build cat/slave only worlds. Transferring pops back and forth between worlds to get the right ratio eat up a lot of influence and is tedious. Robots, though they cost energy, don't breed, don't have to be fed and don't strike/revolt if they have the chance.

What am I missing here?

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 21, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Vasler posted:

Thank you!

Alternatively, if I decide to not join anyone I saw the wiki discusses a league of non-aligned empire. Is it even feasible to do anything versus these two "overwhelming" forces?

Yes, depending on the geography. I've got a game right now where I'm in the southwestern part of the galaxy (the red empire), with AEs to the North (the small snowflake empire at the very northern tip of the galaxy) and Northeast (light purple with a triangle logo). The War in Heaven triggers and about 80% of the galaxy signs up for one or another. I rejected both sides and the League of Non-Aligned Systems. Both AE's hate me now, but are too busy fighting each other to care about me (neither has declared war on me). The Northeast AE has its hands full with the League, and as best as I can tell the North AE ran into some real resistance from the dark purple empire near it and kind of sputtered out.

On the plus side, a lot of my neighbors were vassals to various AEs. While they're off fighting their pointless war in the north, I've been conquering the AE vassals nearby. I attacked a League member expecting another easy war, but the League sent down two 40k fleets which pushed my poo poo in and forced me to settle for a white peace. Now I've rebuilt my fleet and got my eye on the helpless Alliance of Ugarlall above me (dark blue) who are vassals to the North AE. Amazingly, AEs don't care if you attack their vassals, and they tend to be pretty easy pushovers as their fleets are often on the other side of the galaxy.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Do megastructures count towards your system cap / research penalty? I would assume the ringworld probably does, but what about habitations?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Bold Robot posted:

At any point in the several months have they made any changes to make late-game war less tedious? I'm thinking about playing Stellaris again for the first time in a while but I'm remembering how annoying it is to fight a war in the late game. I know they haven't made any changes to make taking over planets less micro heavy since that would require a pretty big rework, but can you at least take more than 3 planets in a war now?

Yes. There are several technologies and mechanics you can use to lower the amount of points cede planet takes, allowing you to take more of them at once. Or you can just purge the planet of life through bombardment because why would you want some filthy xenos in your glorious empire?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
There's always fanatical purifiers, which basically reduces diplomacy down to "Xeno scum I am currently purging" and "Xeno scum I would be purging if they didn't have a billion defensive pacts." Weirdly enough, you can have vassals and tributaries as war goals, but no slaves in your empire (or at least I can't). Hard to justify why my empire could not stand letting xenos even exist on its planets, but is perfectly cool with them having their own adjacent empire and ships and everything.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mister Adequate posted:

Can't interact with Enclaves, unless a patch changed that recently.

Same with Fanatic Purifiers. I've got an enclave in my territory who has 100 trust and would probably love to trade me things and boost my empire but my only diplomatic option is "gently caress OFF XENO SCUM"

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

PittTheElder posted:

Blow them up to receive free stuff!

Do AI empires interact with enclaves?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Just out of curiosity, which traditions do most people pick? I usually start with Expansion for the half priced frontier outposts and +2 core size, then Supremacy for the larger border range and military bonuses for the inevitable war of conquest I started, then Harmony to try and keep the group of pissed off aliens I just conquered under control. I hear people talk about prosperity for the private colony ships but I've never seen the benefit. Early on I normally have way more minerals than I do energy, so paying for a colony ship with energy doesn't sound like a bargain at all.

Diplomacy is a waste for me since I'm usually pretty warlike, Discovery tends to skew survey bonuses over research bonuses which isn't as useful, and Prosperity has some nice economic bonuses but by the time I'd get around to selecting prosperity it'd amount to a rounding error for my empire.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
When playing a game recently I only found out a nearby rival was already at war was when I started to notice neutral ships shadowing my fleet and popping down invasion forces before I could. I'm sure the game informed me of this war but I couldn't help but think that most of the diplomatic popups are pointless. Usually there's only one or two empires (normally neighbors) that I care about. But useful popups (an ally/enemy I plan to invade is in a nasty war) are drowned out because every time some turd looking fungus gets pissed at a bunch of birds on the other wide of the galaxy they deluge my screen with popups.

One way to combat this would be to designate another empire(s) as "Important." Important empires get a high priority popup if they enter a war, join a federation, or ally someone. That way I could keep tabs on an empire I care about without having to wade through all the poo poo.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

turn off the TV posted:

Wiz please fix your game's keming.

Maybe I have old man eyes now, but on the wardec screen when trying to filter planets the letters "a" and "o" end up like a eye test.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Psycho Landlord posted:

There is no such thing as a neighbor you can't get rid of.

I don't care if I'm a pacifistic xenophile, if we share borders and a map color I will do everything in my power to see your empire burn.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Reveilled posted:

Having played for a similarly significant amount of time I've decided that what I want is CK2 in space, basically. Sectors are intended to remove micromanagement, but since there's not a huge overwhelming amount of things to do in this game, I find the micromanagement entirely bearable, especially when the behaviours of sectors is suboptimal and I can't rely on them to run the way I want. But I wouldn't mind all that if sectors had interesting gameplay (and in a game like this a "story" is part of the gameplay) which came out of it. I don't mind the demesne limit in CK2 because it generates interesting outcomes.

The best way for that to happen is a stronger character focus. Sectors should elect governors in Democracies and Oligarchies, be inherited in Imperial states, and be appointable only in Dictatorships. Characters should have ethics which influence their interactions with the state and their sector, pushing for things like lower taxes, a large garrisoned army to reduce unrest, a wormhole station in every inhabited system in the sector, a hydroponic-focused habitat to alleviate food poverty, etc etc.

Or If my president is from the Egalitarian faction, I'd like events where we campaign to elect the egalitarian candidate for governor in the Delphic Sector, or maybe I'm pushing to get Authoritarian governors elected because I want to change the authority level to Imperial without triggering a massive civil war. And maybe when I do it too early some fanatic egalitarian governors form an alliance and spark a civil war anyway seeking to reimpose democracy or split away.

Right now Governors aren't actual characters, they're stickers I can barely afford, which I can stick on a sector to make it marginally better. That's boring.

Yeah I think part of the problem Stellaris seems so devoid of personality is that it feels more like you're a logistics department for an empire than the actual leader. The fun parts of Stellaris for me have never been figuring out whether I should put a mine or power plant on this specific tile on a planet. I've never particularly enjoyed going from planet to planet churning out individual ships and trying to herd them all together into a fleet, then having to replace the losses of that fighting force with more ships. You'd really think that planetary governors would be figuring out tile placement rather than the emperor. That's why I'm glad they've improved sectors since the original release.

I think Stellaris would benefit greatly from the palace intrigue of CK II and delegating some of the more tedious aspects. In CK II you fought neighboring kingdoms, but most of the fun was just trying to keep your own dynasty afloat. Dealing with space plagues ravaging your kingdom, figuring out why your admiral wants to assassinate the sector governor (and whether you should intervene), and murdering the neighboring emperor to try and install a more friendly government would be a lot more interesting than trying to optimize a planet's mineral output.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

PittTheElder posted:

For the record, you don't even have to be all that careful about it. The invasion AI is terrible, so you can just fly around with armies retaking planets after they leave, and they'll wind up just running around bombarding and attacking the same 4-5 planets until you can white peace.

As far as I can tell the war AI is just:
1. In peacetime, park entire fleet in home system
2. War declared, send entire fleet to nearest enemy system. Send fleet of unaccompanied troop ships one jump away.
2a. If shipyard in enemy system outmatches AI fleet, attack nearest frontier outpost.
3. If successful, bombard enemy planet until defenses are zero.
4. If troop ships are still alive, invade enemy planet.
5. If troop ships are dead, sit on enemy planet until more troop ships are rebuilt.
6. Goto 2

Likewise, if you invade an enemy planet the AI will always peel off small ships to bombard the occupied planet and then send in troop ships. You can short circuit the AI's plans by just building a small outpost with a sub space lure to kill the stragglers as they enter the system.

War is probably the most fun you can have in Stellaris, which is why I hope the fix the deathball mechanic. There's no reason ever not to have one gigantic fleet, and all wars are basically decided by one initial battle when two giant wads of opposing ships careen into each other. The winner of that battle can just run around killing the other guy's shipyards and since they take a year to rebuild there isn't a whole lot the loser can do to rebuild.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 31, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Base case scenario: Something that is done automatically and we can safely ignore it exists.

Worst case scenario: It'll make the current internal migration mechanic even more annoying as you try to get the right ratio of slaves and pops on each planet.

Seriously, this mechanic sounds like it'll bring us further into pop micromanagement hell. It certainly doesn't sound like it will make the game more fun. Why do this?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

insider posted:

Ok question. I haven't' played since launch but have had a new game going that has gone well until now with the DLC. I'm in a spiral 4 armed galaxy and am in the inner most 'ring' for the most part. There are two FE's in the ring above mine (the one that doesn't let you settle on Gaia worlds, and military isolationists). The isolationists seemed far enough away I would have no problem with them because again they were in the 'ring' above mine and a lot of empty space in between. I settled a planet within my existing territory that was on the north side of my 'ring'. That seemed to have angered the FE greatly as apparently they deem it too close and they declared war on me.

What do I even do? There is no way I can fight them and they didn't even give me any ultimatums or anything like I thought FEs did. If i had settled on the planet and they warned me I would have backed off but I never even got that option. I also don't even seem to be able to peace out instantly. I'm just pretty frustrated as I feel like I have no options except for my entire civ getting destroyed for no reason. Any advice?

In the future before you settle around FE isolationists put down a outpost in the system you want to colonize and then check the diplomacy screen with them. If it's too close their relations with you will go down and you'll see a modifier that you're settling too close. Then you can just destroy the outpost and they'll be fine. Weirdly enough they don't seem to care about territorial boundaries or mining/science stations so you can still colonize a nearby system and have your territory bleed into systems that they wouldn't let you settle.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if the old trick of "settle a system FE xenophobes hate and before they declare war on you then give the colony to some empire you hate" still works.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Weird diplomacy bug / whatever:

I declared war on my imperialist fox neighbors with the goal of liberating them so I could form a federation. Unfortunately, liberating all of their planets would overload the war score so I had to settle for conquering one of their systems and liberating the rest. The war went off without a hitch and now, once introduced to the benefits of democracy by gunpoint, the foxes are thrilled and joined my federation. Of course, now I'm stuck with one of their conquered former systems and the inhabitants are being little shits so I figured I'd just give them back to my new ally. To my surprise, trying to give the system back and asking nothing in return had a trade value of -1000. Our empires are allies and they have a high opinion on me, plus I figured they'd be thrilled to get their old system back since their empire is kind of crappy otherwise.

It's mildly annoying since, not only is it pretty ungrateful in my opinion to just refuse the system, but since I'm a democracy I can't purge the planet of these unhappy assholes. I can't vassalize and release them because the system I conquered wasn't their homeworld. Why the hell won't they take their own system back?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there any way to bribe/threaten/force a federation member to declare war? I'm the federation president and an AE is about to annex a fallen empire right next to my border. I'd like to beat them to the punch but my idiot federation member won't agree to war. They're super friendly to me already so I know that isn't the issue.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I hope giving more options to influence other empires is on the to-do list. Right now I'm having a hard time seeing any benefit to being in a federation with an empire versus just vassalizing them. If I'm in a federation I lose fleet cap, lose the ability to control my own foreign policy, and lose influence. If I vassalize someone I gain fleet cap, can control by own foreign policy and theirs, and gain influence. I ended up dissolving my federation and diplo-vassalizing my fox neighbors which fixed all of my problems.

It would be hilarious if actual diplomacy worked like Stellaris diplomacy:

:911: Greetings fellow NATO member. I couldn't help but notice that your population is few and your military is weak. To better assist me in our upcoming war against North Korea I would like to gift you Alaska. I think you'll find their citizens are the same species as you and also have a frozen climate preference.

:canada: Well that's a weird thing to say but we don't want Alaska and will veto your attempts to have our alliance invade a sovereign nation.

:911: Fine, then I just dissolved NATO.

:canada: You did what? That's a serious breach of-

:911: Now that NATO is gone I couldn't help but notice our shared borders, good diplomatic relations, and my much larger military. How would you feel about being our client state?

:canada: I suppose we have no choice.

:911: Great! Your first act as my client-state is to accept the annexation of Alaska. Now, please prep your forces for our upcoming invasion of Greenland.

:canada: Now we're attacking Greenland? Why?

:911: Greenland occupies a strategic spot I want, but if I were to annex it myself my citizens would become dumber and take longer to research the new iphone. Instead, we will invade Greenland and add it to your nation.

:canada: But we don't even want Greenland!

:911: That's what you said about Alaska!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Lum_ posted:

Playing Ofaloaf's "quite good" Victoria 3 mod as the neo-Papacy (max spiritualist/xenophobe) and welp.

I guess I kind of have to rival them, don't I.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Kitchner posted:

There probably are mods but the whole point is to a) remove micromanagement and b) limit direct player control to core worlds.

Sectors used to be total trash but they are a lot better now, if you let them keep a decent mineral income the AI will grow the sector well and you can see what they are doing. That combined with the fact you can seize their resource deposits basically means in times of war fully developed sectors act as resource caches.

They still need tweaking but Wiz will be the first to tell you the only way they get better is by people playing with them and if they do something dumb submit a bug report with the save game file.

Agreed. Sectors used to be really bad but now you have enough control over them that you can just throw a bunch of planets in and call it a day. If you really want to make things easy, just tell the sector to go for balanced resources and respect tile resources and you'll end up with a decent stream of minerals/energy/science plus an extra cache of resources if you need them. Planetary management is not tons of fun to begin with so I can't imagine why people would want to directly control 20+ planets at once.

The only real downside with sectors is you lose the ability to quickly access their spaceports build screens. Hopefully someday we get the ability to build fleets so you don't need to micromanage spaceports anymore.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

RevolverDivider posted:

How are you actually supposed to handle the Scourge? I've been wiped by them three times now as it seems like the AI is far too stupid to actually show up to help fight them even when they explicitly state they're banding together to do so. They usually appear on or right outside my border and although I know how to counterbuild them and can usually stall for ages and wipe out their single or double stacks fairly easily, I have no idea how I'm actually supposed to stop them when nobody else in the galaxy acknowledges they exist, even the Fallen Empires that awake for the purpose of fighting them.

I just saw the Scourge for the first time (always get the Unbidden). I was trying to figure out how to deal with a massive AE that was tearing up the galaxy (the only other empires capable of fighting the AE formed a federation but wouldn't let me join) when I got the message the Scourge were on their way. Unfortunately for me, they decided to land in the middle of my vassal so I had to send my 100k fleet of kinetic battleships over to rescue them. I was starting to turn the tide when they dropped multiple 60k fleets at once in the system I was guarding. Fortunately, the AE recognized the threat and offered to join a federation with me then dropped a 600k fleet on the Scourge home world. Problem solved.

Of course, now the AE doesn't want to fight anymore and I can't even conquer the other empires since we're in a federation. With over a over 750k fleet the AE is unstoppable so we're all stuck in this galactic cold war since we can't be invaded and apparently don't want to invade anyone else.

Personally, I think AEs are too powerful. Other empires don't seem to realize what an existential threat they pose and so they're all too busy squabbling amongst themselves while the AE ramps up their fleet power and holdings. And since the war in heaven doesn't always fire one AE can quickly run away with the game. The only time I've ever seen a lone AE stopped was when a powerful empire completely surrounded them before they awakened and had the fleet power to (apparently) hold them off.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Aethernet posted:

Noticed this in bug fixes:

I hope you all like additional micro in the late game, when your fleet with thousands of corvettes will have to be six separate fleets. It's not a great deal of extra micro, but this feels like the sort of change that could've waited for a proper war-focused patch. Hopefully ship cost changes will mean that megafleets are no longer a thing.

Can the game's AI even handle using multiple fleets intelligently? As far as I can tell the only AI battle plan is just build one massive fleet and after you destroy that an unending stream of corvettes to try and take back their now conquered planets.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I think I like creating little Twilight Zone robotic empires almost as much as playing them.

Autoicon Network of Devices posted:

Autoicons were created by a colony of Terran philosophers to help them build a new utopia. Sadly, a typo in the firmware gave every Autoicon the hardcoded mandate to "provide the greatest GOODS for the greatest number of people." Thus, the formerly idyllic world was quickly transformed into a near lifeless desert as the surface was strip mined to provide the raw resources for cheap consumer products. The majority of the population quickly perished in the ecological disaster, their few remaining shelters now buried in mountains of mass produced detritus. Since the dwindling number of Terrans increases the per capita number of goods, this suits the Autoicons just fine.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 24, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there any way to delete old machine templates? I didn't realize that every time you modify a template it creates a new one and now there's templates everywhere whenever I want to build robots.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

enraged_camel posted:

How do I merge two tiny fleets to make a bigger one? When I select one and right-click the other, it just goes into follow mode. I don't see a "merge" option anywhere. Just a "transfer ships" option.

This UI is confusing as hell honestly.

Stellaris UI Haiku:

Select the two fleets.
Press the top left merge icon
Or you could press G.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm so tired of the War in Heaven. It's two games in a row now where one AI empire blobs out obscenely between two or three Fallen Empires, either picking a fight and eating one or just getting so huge it triggers the event twice, and then everyone in the galaxy but the giant blobpire joins the League of Non-Aligned Systems under some random nobody who can form Federations, usually instantly triggering a Federation victory or precipitating it by a few years. Now to expand in any direction I have to declare war on over half the galaxy, fighting on four different fronts, and most of the bigger randos have Jump Drive. In my latest Rogue Servitor game (where mid-game my Unity is 2k/mo), while my fleet power is unapproachable thanks to Enigmatic Shields and Dragonscale Armor, I had to pre-emptively attack to keep the blobpire from joining the League instead of waiting for an AE or Crisis to take chunks out of either, and playing whack-a-mole across an entire quadrant is, like, anti-fun

The only thing worse than the War in Heaven is when only one FA awakens and tries to take over the galaxy. This is my current Rogue Servitor game (I'm the Sapience Conservation Initiative in orange).

All was going well. I had defensive pacts with the Commonwealth of Sentient Worlds (light green) and the Narn Regime (light blue) and we had a cold war going with the devouring swarm and terminators up north. Then, the rear end in a top hat Jurinn Regulators (dark green) woke up. When I wouldn't bend the knee they dropped a 200k fleet on the Commonwealth and quickly trashed my 70k fleet (and everyone else's). Fortunately, they only vassalized them instead of taking over their space outright. Unfortunately, they kept on going and now have taken over half the galaxy.

Now, I'm pretty much forced to invade my former allies just to vassalize them myself so I don't end up with yet another empire to take out when I inevitably clash with the Regulators. So diplomacy pretty much goes out the window every game I've had a FA awaken. Unfortunately, even know I only have 130k fleet power which doesn't give me great odds against the 250k fleet they now have.

Is there a decent war strategy against a Awakened Empire? Long range weapons and plink at them and run? Should I be packing shields? Armor? Point defense? They seem to just churn out fleets endlessly so a war of attrition always goes against me.

Edit:

My only vassal is the Terran Star Union who I keep around because even though they have a 2k fleet they at least *try* to take on my enemies (and fail every time). The biggest problem they have is something I haven't seen before - their planets are CONSTANTLY rebelling and trying to form new empires. Looking at their planets apparently all of their pops are itching to rebel because they're all starving. It looks like they have enough farms but their morale is low enough due to starvation that they can't produce enough food to feed themselves (leading to lower morale and eventual rebellions) Has anyone seen this AI behavior before or know how to fix it?

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 16, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Milky Moor posted:

And as much as I'd like a Stellaris where waning and waxing was part of the gameplay, it's not really there at the moment. If you take big losses, there's no real way to recover -- neighbouring empires never break down or collapse or experience events you can take advantage of.

Yeah, it's weird that all of the lore in Stellaris has a common theme of "no matter how powerful you are, your empire will eventually fall and others will rise in its place" yet with current game mechanics there's no reason the precursors/fallen empires/other ancient stuff should ever have fallen. Bringing over the CK2 model of large empires essentially being a house of cards about to topple wouldn't work in Stellaris because the endgame crises require large stable empires to combat them.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out having a few large stable empires means you're either going to have decades of nothing happening on a long unfun slog of trying to conquer an empire spanning half the galaxy.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 17, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

DrSunshine posted:

The game seems extremely hard for some reason now. I used to be able to fight the AI pretty well, but every single game now, it seems like I get into a tussle with an evenly-matched AI empire, get my rear end handed to me in the first fight, and then am unable to build ships at a fast enough rate to compete with them from then on. I'm playing as a Devouring Swarm, on normal difficulty. I feel like my mineral income is pretty good -- something like +300 a month by 2270 or so -- but my ships constantly get completely creamed when it comes to combat. I try to follow the rock-paper-scissors balance -- but what am I expected to do when they bring disrupters and plasma to a fight? Shields get melted by the disrupters and plasma melts armor.

As a general rule, once you get your initial few colonies off the ground you need to max out your fleet capacity once you find a neighboring empire. This goes double if you're playing as one of the universally hated governments (devouring swarm, fanatic purifiers, etc.) because the AI is fairly opportunistic and will always build over their fleet cap if they neighbor a player controlled empire. They're also likely to ally up against you. Luckily, the AI respects a strong fleet and once you're large enough you can end up with relatively peaceful boarders in time with a big enough military.

As a devouring swarm to survive you must be constantly be picking targets rather than waiting for the AI to declare war on you. If you stumble upon a weaker empire the first order of business should be finding out what their fleet composition is (the AI in peacetime tends to keep its fleets near its homeworld or other core worlds) and countering that. If the fleet is out of sensor range you can usually estimate the enemy's tech level by looking at any visible civilian (science ships, constructors, etc.) ships as they will always be packing the best available tech.

Baronjutter posted:

Forts are very much not useless anymore, you can easily crank them up to 10k power or so. They're still no good on their own, I'll routinely see a 5k fleet beat my 10k station but it takes them a long time.

Yeah, it'd be nice if they scaled to counter late game fleets but it looks like with the next update they may be addressing that. Otherwise, star fortresses strategically placed can massively slow down an enemy fleet long enough for your own fleet to arrive and massacre the small raiding parties the AI loves to send randomly. My only big complaint is that we lost the ability to place forts in neutral space or enemy territory to guard conquered worlds.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 23, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Main Paineframe posted:

No, I said the game is better with hyperlanes because it opens up a wider array of strategic options and choices for the player. It's certainly playable with all FTL types available, but then it's a lot harder to do fun moves like strategically boxing in a rival power by taking a chokepoint they'd need to move through, or tactically limiting them by heavily fortifying a border chokepoint.

The only real downside to hyperlanes is that the AI doesn't seen to notice or take advantage of any of the map's "terrain." It doesn't fortify border systems, it doesn't seem to notice or care if you take a system with a strategic chokepoint that doesn't have a colony on it (and even then will only invade because the colony is there), and doesn't seem to expand with any idea of denying areas of the map for later expansion. In fact, the AI doesn't seem to notice defensive platforms at all. Typically my defenses will rack up dozens of enemy ship kills as they dribble individual ships and transports through the system only to be caught and killed by the fortresses.

I'm definitely in favor of anything that gets rid of the sameness of systems and adds strategic depth. But hopefully the dev team upgrades the AI to actually use the map features to its advantage.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
If you build two of the same types of modules on a star fortress, do they stack? Example: I put two shield dampeners on a fortress. Does it now have a -50% shield hit point and -10% shield regen aura?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I am building ports on all my systems (which is also weird, because theirs have something like 1.2-1.6x the power of mine), and they weren't advanced start, since they only had one planet when I encountered them initially?

I wasn't aware of the dynamic of building over fleet cap and hemorrhaging energy to fight a war, that might explain it.

I believe all AI will always overbuild once they have a human player neighbor and they definitely have no problem going over their fleet cap. Whenever you meet a neighboring empire, check the diplomatic screen and see what sort of empire they are, paying close attention to your diplo bonuses/malluses with them. Try to get a NAP with friendly empires ASAP and assume a hostile empire will eventually war dec you. The AI does seem to take into account defensive pacts when considering whether to attack you so may want to try and bribe a friendly empire early on and get one if you're considered about a hostile neighbor. I find that purifier/swarm/exterminator neighbors are ironically less of a threat than "normal" hostile empires because all other empires will see them as a universal threat.

My early game usually focuses on unlocking new ship classes (destroyers, cruisers, etc.) over new weapon tiers. Not only does this indirectly increase your fleet cap as it allows you to build higher tier spaceports (which themselves are more survivable), but bigger ship hulls tend to be more survivable than their smaller counterparts (for example, 2 base corvettes together have 75% of the hitpoints of 1 destroyer) and allow access to bigger guns which are vital for taking down enemy spaceports.

Generally, I find fighting an enemy with one higher weapon tier than me is much easier than fighting an enemy with a higher ship hull class than me. If you find yourself in a defensive war against a enemy with 1k or so more fleet power than you, don't forget about Defense Platforms. A properly placed Defense Platform with an FTL snare will place an enemy just inside the range of your spaceport. With the combined efforts of your fleet, spaceport, and defense station you can sometimes beat a larger enemy fleet.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 5, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Korgan posted:

So yeah if you repair the damaged section in Alpha Refuge, and I assume other partially destroyed ringworlds, the damaged section gets flipped around compared to the rest of the ringworld. Obviously this is unacceptable and I hope you fired the idiot responsible for this blunder.

I assume the Cybrex were really killed when they all moved in and got fried by the sun’s searing heat and radiation, and they were so embarrassed that in their dying moments they made up the whole “other races showed up and killed us because we were so badass at war.”

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Liberation used to be a lot more useful when you could just diploannex the newly created rump state but now you have to wait 20 years to do that. Now, its mainly good for breaking up a large hostile empire into more manageable buffer states and depending on your own ethos may be all you can do to cripple a rival. At a minimum, you can just keep invading the same rump state every 10 years and reliberating them until a permanent ethics shift sets in.

Or they collapse under a crushing cycle of the new empire being unable to produce enough food to feed their population, causing an endless fracturing of the rump state as unhappy starving pops continue to rebel into smaller and smaller states. Either way, hey you gave it your best shot and freedom isn't free :911:

I had a similar thing happen to a vassal of mine (couldn't produce enough food, so unhappy pop maluses crippled their ability to do anything including keep their own planets from rebelling). I solved that problem by sending waves of killbots to every planet the vassal owned to "assist" the planets' garrisons against rebels.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 6, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
My early game usually involves:
1. Churning out another 2-3 additional science ships to speed exploration.
2. Exploit all resources in your initial borders/home world.
3. Build 3 more corvettes and hire an admiral in anticipation of the pirate attack
4. Build frontier outposts in mineral rich areas around me.
5. Colonize the few decent planets around me, preferably after getting a exploration unity tech or two.
6. Slowly build my fleet up to the naval cap in anticipation of meeting the first alien empire.
7. Back fill my empire with colonies, freeing up my frontier outposts for the next wave of expansion.

Colonizing too early can ironically cripple your expansion. Early game you need minerals and energy to build ships more than additional population growth. The quickest and cheapest way to get these is to build mining stations offworld. The problem with colonies early on is that the colony ships are expensive to build and maintain, and the colonies themselves provide an immediate penalty to your science and unity generation but take about a decade or so to add real value to your empire. With proper frontier outpost placement you can grab the decent planets to make sure your neighbors don't get them and backfill colonies as needed.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

McGiggins posted:

Venerable Stellaris devs, is something going to be changed about how armies are handled?

I don't know about you, but having to manually upgrade all my units one by one because there is no ship designer analog for armies is hella poo poo.

Everything else is good, you're good Dev people. But this one particular thing is poo poo UI work and poor mechanic maintenance of what I assume was at one point going to be expanded but was forgotten about?

Do people actually upgrade their armies? Of all of the tedious micromanagement in Stellaris that is the easiest to avoid since there's no reason not to just pile on the stock armies when you invade. I usually just queue up 20 or so clone armies (since they train the fastest) and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

darthbob88 posted:

AFAIK yes, though they're also good for putting a stupid amount of lead in space.

As an added bonus, millions of years from now a far away civilization in another galaxy will receive a small bonus to their research efforts when they're nearby hit by your projectiles. Every gun turret in your fleet is just another chance to spew science into the cosmos!

• Locked thread