Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Hyped as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

That sounds super evil :(

I don't know why it bugs me, but I'm never able to go on a real "purge all xeno scum" rampage in Stellaris. I can be extremely evil in CK2, but I can't exterminate those fluffy species in this game. I don't think I will ever use the livestock option.

I've always liked evil and terrible choices in games because even if I don't use them much, they give good choices meaning (provided the evil choices aren't trick/detrimental). It always feels better to roleplay someone good if being terribly evil is a viable option.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

*writes furious steam review*

Maybe I'll wait for a Steam sale after all...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

AriadneThread posted:

barren worlds with 'candidate for terraformation' tags

although now i'm wondering how long it would take an earth-like planet to freeze over if suddenly deprived of all sunlight. sounds like a question for randall monroe

About a year, as has been mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltpH6ck2Kc

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

Though we're still waiting on an endgame use for unity :argh:

All ascension perks now cost unity to maintain, scaling with pop and planet count. Boom, fixed. Happy now? :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ascendancy was fun, lack of AI notwithstanding. I especially liked that everyone had a unique special ability. It's aged somewhat terribly though, I tried it again some time back and it was really hard to get back into, mostly for interface reasons. MOO2 is my usual go-to for old space strategy games.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I've never had a crisis in any of my games. I always abandon a game before it progresses far enough, usually due to late-game slowdown (or I get wiped out early).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

COMRADES posted:

I think any cosmic event that causes a lot of density in a small point of space will result in a black hole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmjWYQi2UM

Also cats, apparently? :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Let's end the debate once and for all, and reduce it to simply 1 ethos split: Good / Evil.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Jabor posted:

I think most other companies are more like "let's improve that stuff in the sequel".

And then you have Firaxis, who... don't.

*Edit*

Well, that's a bit unfair. XCOM was vastly improved in a lot of areas in the sequel, but when it comes to Civ it's sadly a different story.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 15, 2017

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Korgan posted:

Talk to the curators again, they'll tell you if your fleet can beat a leviathan. And for a modest fee, they'll tell you their weakness

There's a caveat here: If you have a shroud Avatar it'll inflate your fleet power massively, but because it's only a single entity it'll get almost instantly murdered by some of the leviathans (the dimensional horror especially). So the Curators might tell you that you're good to go, but your shroud Avatar will be murdered before it even gets in range to attack.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Slashrat posted:

I think it depends on the leviathan in question. Shroud Avatars are shield-tanked iirc, so those levis that are particularly good at ignore/chewing through shields will much on it.

That said. A viable solution to this problem is to bring the avatar in a separate fleet and only jump it after the levi already have your proper fleet engaged and is preferable next to the avatar's entry point in the system.

It's more that if the Avatar is the only thing that changes the Curators' evaluation from "you'll get murdered" to "piece of cake", you'll likely die because I don't think the Avatar, as tanky as it is, has the damage output needed to kill the dimensional horror all/mostly by itself, even if you make sure to jump directly into attack range.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

OddObserver posted:

Also combat width being a thing might favor defenders.

At the very least it should help mitigate the invasion doomstack instantly demolishing the defenders, meaning a defender will be able to actually inflict losses on an invading force before falling.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

gowb posted:

Oh yeah baby I took over a fallen empire with most of their huge military stations intact, seems like they lost a lot of fleet power tho?? They went from 30k to 19k. That's annoying but still way better than my fortresses. So now I've got a ton of new rich worlds and I have to get up in 4 hours yay

Fallen Empires have a lot of repeatable techs boosting the power of their ships and stations. If you don't have as many, then the power will naturally drop.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Grand Fromage posted:

Hence why it would be a toggle. In the early game you don't have enough planets for it to be a hassle, anyway.

I'd even settle for an "upgrade all buildings of this type" button.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Hunt11 posted:

So any thoughts on giving more dialogue options to empires to represent the actual power balance between the two. Being told by an empire who is significantly weaker then me, that they could crush me with ease, is funny for the first couple times but then it gets incredibly annoying.

Considering North Korea this sounds perfectly realistic to me.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

canepazzo posted:

Betting March 22nd

I wish this was spot on because I have work off the week after.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

turn off the TV posted:

Just lol if your spaceships have crews in the year of our lord 2300.

Weaponized AI has been outlawed on Earth in 2300 after a several tragedies causing huge civilian casualties, remote controlling spaceships from a flagship have been deemed impractical because of the risk involved in having all operators located in just one or two controller ships, and controlling them from further away is impossible because of the delay induced by the fighting taking place over an area spanning several light seconds to light minutes :science:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 26, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Tomn posted:

Please see The Lost Fleet series for an exploration into this subject.

Do you have a TL;DR? :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Nessus posted:

There are a shitload of people who seem to think that money is just a lump that you gradually accrue and can only lose if you waste it or otherwise behave immorally.

If you live with your parents and thus have no expenses then that's pretty much how it works, I guess.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

No what you need to do is build a big wall all the way around the star and make the star pay for it.

So basically a Dyson Sphere?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do FEs get this?

I doubt it. Reverse engineering their technology has always struck me as a feature, and you can already prevent reverse engineering in the current game by adding a line to the component you want to make immune. So if they wanted to make FE ships immune to reverse engineering they probably would have already.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LordMune posted:

Text block is now uniform at 1080p and will scroll rather than overflow at lower resolutions. Thank you for your service, gamer.

I don't know, death overflow seems kind of apt for a machine determined to eradicate all life. If anything it should cover even more of the UI below.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm pretty sure Wiz already said that empire breaking is something everyone asks for, but they always hate it when it happens to them and not just someone else.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Baron von der Loon posted:

This game is seriously the devil for me. I've tried to play a couple of 30-minute sessions, but I just can't. I get completely sucked into this world, and I just love how my one-planet government turns into this star-spanning empire that soon has to butt heads with other empires. Already lost a couple of games, but seriously didn't mind, because I could create a cool new race and a completely new story would happen.

So I'm definitely going to get Apocalypse, but I'm currently in my first game that is actually going well. Just slowly grew my empire, build stations when needed(instead of trying to grab everything within my space and completely ignoring my energy output), and currently at a stage where I am a superpower in the galaxy. Not the strongest, but not a weak civilization like in my first game. It's a surprisingly calm game, actually. Neighbours with two empires with whom I completely connect. There is only a spiritual empire on the other hand of the galaxy whom will likely cause issues in the future, because I went full-cyborg. Hoping to start a federation with the other two empires to avoid a war situation.

But yeah, I'm seriously enjoying my current game. I assume I can still play it once I buy the DLC? It just won't have access to the new features?

Actually, now that I think about it, how is it going to work with the new patch? I've read that the war gameplay is going to get completely revamped. What happens if I load my save and am in the middle of a war?

The changes are so big that your save will be incompatible. You'll have to use Steam Beta settings to roll back your game to an older version if you want to finish your save.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Bold Robot posted:

In theory you could edit the save, but I don’t think there is any info out there on what you need to actually edit within the save file. I tried to figure it out a year or so ago but couldn’t, though I didn’t try super hard.

It remains a mystery why they haven’t made it so that two empires can’t share the same primary color. Screenshots of 2.0 show that this still hasn’t been fixed, although the use of secondary color for the border strip will make things a lot better.

I think it's the "colors" part of this, it's been a while since I did it:

code:
empire_flag={
			icon={
				category="ornate"
				file="flag_ornate_4.dds"
			}
			background={
				category="backgrounds"
				file="triangle_split.dds"
			}
			colors={
				"red_orange"
				"black"
				"null"
				"null"
Each empire should have a section like that, so just find out what yours looks like and make sure your neighbours don't have the same. At least I THINK it's this section, it's been a really long time.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Aethernet posted:

fix economy plz wiz

also make tiles isometric and laid out in a round shape

you know, like a planet.

Also add a climate simulation that makes the planet barren if you have too many mineral extractors.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm unhappy that it isn't six weeks so it lines up perfectly with my vacation.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

I'm sorry but the prevailing narrative is that you've uninstalled the game and spent the past 24 hours mailing pictures of gas giants covered in (correctly aligned) expletives to everyone in Paradox. Your actual feelings, actions, and intent are irrelevant.

tbh this is the only reasonable course of action for any true fan of Paradox games. Also photoshopped images of gas giants with a cock halfway inside it, with the subtitle "My dick in Uranus". Correctly aligned, of course.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 13, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gort posted:

If you say you're removing the "puts red-hot needles into your brain" feature of a game next patch someone will pop up to say they'll miss it.

But this was the only way I could feel human.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gyshall posted:

Lmao if you aren't using the steam beta function to play version 1.0

I would, but Paradox, in their limitless greed, ceased all support for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LordMune posted:

To pick up from some posts ago, a new thread is probably due.

Stellaris - 2.0 Serve Man

Stellaris - Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. D...

• Locked thread