Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Silly Burrito posted:

That was the second best Super Bowl EVER.

EEEEEEEEEVER.

I appreciate that fans of the entire NFCS probably agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

A.o.D. posted:

Oh man, I sure do hope the Falcons end up with Chip.

Oh man can the offense get off the field even faster?

weird Asian candy posted:

That said, these guys are young and the Falcons are going to be a force in the NFC for at least the near future. What sucks is you never know when you will be back, if ever, unless you are the Patriots :smith:

I mean, maybe? They're the same pros and joes team that they've been since Julio got there, and their best 5 players are:

Matt Ryan, guy coming up to next extension where you'll pay him 27 mil/year.
Julio Jones , locked in for 13.5/mil for the near future and hopefully doesn't lose his foot; has only started a complete season once and plays hurt constantly
Alex Mack, a really great center you're paying 11 million dollars/year to for his 32-35 year old seasons which could probably work out.
Freeman, last year of contract
Beasley, your only legit no-strings young star, for 3 years.

Next best guy after that is Jake Matthews. That's not a good next best. And if anyone on the line actually get injured next year, they'll drop off entirely.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Their best defender is Marcus trufant, not Beasley.

Think you mean desmond, but this is his option year and the last year of his contract. Also they played better after he left, which doesn't make any sense to me because he is good, but he's not a young core to build on anymore.

Debo Jones could turn into that though.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

They are resigning him, he's not going anywhere. The entire rookie class looks like they could be the core to build around. Jones, Neal, Campbell all look like they will have promising futures.

Jarrett and Hageman also look good and really came on in the playoffs.

They need another pass rusher badly to compliment Beasley. Upgrade Allen at FS, add an ILB and the potential is there.

The problem with great guys at market value is that you can't win poo poo with them if you don't have great guys on their rookie deals. You can basically judge every team in the NFL on if they hosed up the market value of their veterans or were able to backfill their team with cheap talent from the draft or UDFAs.

See: Seahawks defense and Russell Wilson until they all got paid and turned into pumpkins.

I think Atlanta looks promising for next year, but it's not clear that they'll remain the best team in the South with their bad defense and O-Line that scrapped together a good season out of no where after years of falling over themselves (see: Panthers). Then there's the matter of the rest of the NFC not rolling over.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Nah, our line is good right now because of alex mack. We could use better guards and a good reserve tackle.

Bad lines tend to overperform when they have continuity and stay healthy. Alex Mack is a huge difference maker, but he probably couldn't salvage that line if anyone went down.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What is Atlanta going to do for OC? Internal promotion?

Shanahan is probably poaching anyone he thinks is worth a drat. Bringing in someone like Kelly at least means Kelly can bring in his guys to re-staff.

I doubt Carolina is as bad as they were again, Tampa is up and coming and New Orleans still has Brees so the division should be fun again.

I'm a bit worried about Tampa, and Carolina could probably fix a lot of problems if they spend money. Saints have no cap space, so basically have to hope they can draft a pass rusher, a 2nd/3rd round O Linemen/DB that can grow into the role, and then hope the line doesn't have injuries again.

Because super gently caress the Saints

The Atlanta Falcons football team lost in the Super Bowl, leading 28-3 with 17 minutes left in the game. It was the worse championship game collapse in NFL history. That, and Tom Brady's transcendent comeback performance will be all that people remember about this season's finale.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 7, 2017

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

The same way two brothers who are very much alike can have a heated rivalry. We hate each other's teams, because that is exactly what you are supposed to do.

In my mind, any Saints fan rooting for Atlanta last night is not a true Saints fan, no matter how much you detest New England. I wouldn't expect them to cheer for us if we made it back to the Super Bowl.

It's just a good old fashioned rivalry.

You can segment my facebook friends into a. my college friends not from New Orleans who became die hard Saints fans because they started college in 2006 and we made them watch football every Sunday and b. People from New Orleans originally, primarily high school friends.

One group cheered for the Pats, one for Falcons. It was the ultimate bandwagon fan test.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I was most definitely rooting against the Saints and Panthers during their Superbowl runs but I was legit happy for the Saints posters here because they are good people.

So I can't say I blame any of you for not being able to root for the Falcons.

The quality of Falcons posters have improved since 2009, mostly through attrition. I really wish I got a Lloyd meltdown out of this, and I'd like to think he's still lurking the forums since he kept doing it for a year or two after his ban.

And back then I lived with the loudest, most annoying falcons fans. Here, I think I have a photo of them somewhere...

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Saints were going to get a parade regardless of if they won or lost.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738832

quote:

"I'm going to the airport," he announced. "They brought hope to this city when nobody else could. The mayor sucks. The governor sucks. The legislature sucks. The president sucks. The only thing that doesn't suck is that team. They brought hope to this city, and I'm going to the airport."

That's after losing in the NFC Championship game.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, and it was raining, and everyone went out to loving Metairie for it.

Worse. Kenner.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Man wherever the airport is. It's all Metairie to me.

Metairie, on the border of New Orleans and Cleveland.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/02/saints-themed_bacchus_parade_w.html

Float has a "Dirty Bird Gumbo" front with different teams listed as ingredients.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

“Candidate Brees(D)”

Current Gov is a D. Mayor of New Orleans, previous senator, and Mayor before last.

Dems can win in the right regions.

But Brees isn't a Dem, which might be how he gets pushed into New Orleans as a mayoral candidate with crazy donations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

I'm still trying to decide if Trufant is dirty as gently caress.

Like was he just waving his hand and it caught mask or did he just poke a grown-rear end receiver straight in the eye?

I think it was an accident.

Now a few years back when Roman Harper or whoever thumbed Aaron Rodgers in the eye? Yeah.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Everytime Hooper caught a pass I was real surprised the crowd liked him so much.

Then I realized it was piped in from the speakers.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Alaois posted:

man the fuckin Falcons

Reeeeally positive game script for the Falcons. Gifted a tiny lead when their offense did nothing, so they could lean on their rushing which is their only real strength, and use the clock to push the Rams one dimensional on offense (so that we all ignore that ATL got absolutely gashed by the run game, because it didn't matter).

Basically allowed them to cover up all their flaws and put a QB who needs his coach to walk him through progressions over his headset into a hurry up. This was always going to be how the Rams lost in the playoffs; just had to see which team was going to get them in that situation.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Hey guys... did we lose a superbowl last year? I only ask because CHRIS COLLINSWORTH COULDN'T GET THROUGH A SINGLE loving SERIES WITHOUT BRINGING IT UP!!!

It's fine. Let's talk about the time the Falcons lost to the Giants in the first round when they could only score a safety.

Or Matt Ryan throwing a pick six to GB to close out the first half in 2008 and then all the fans left and went home and didn't come back for the 3rd Quarter.

When I'm driving home after a bad day, this is where my mind goes. Not even to the Superbowl. I cut deep into the back catalogue B-side failures.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

sexy tiger boobs posted:

yes gashed by the run game... they had like 2 nice runs all night.

Yeah man, that's my point. They averaged 7 yards a carry, but never could lean into volume because they were behind and almost immediately were down two scores with Atlanta having no trouble chewing clock in the 2nd half.

Flikken posted:

What about when the niners came back in the 4th quarter to beat Atlanta in the NFC championship with a Bowman pick 6?

Look man I don't want to talk about the 49ers in the playoffs for...reasons (but that poo poo that game was awesome tho)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

sponges posted:

Your team was a laughing stock for decades

And I cheered for them, and against the Falcons.

Difference is the Falcons are still a laughing stock.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

lol, why are you so loving salty tonight?

I'm in my happy place.

But seriously my first post wasn't even shitposting. It's exactly how the game went down. What did I say that's false? It was a solid strategy that starting working well in the 3rd quarter, and I think the Rams got outcoached in the second half because they couldn't control the tempo of the game like they have been all season.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

sponges posted:

Operating a bounty on opposing players certainly helped.

Sure loving did. Kiss the ring.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah that's the fat piece of poo poo who has a 4-2 record against the Falcons and two more rings than they have. Did I miss the point?

E: poo poo he was probably fired before the 4th win.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

We might lose. Divisional games are weird.

I’d be bummed, but not too badly. We were supposed to be looking for a new coach at the end of this year and instead we won 11 games, won the division, and had an excellent draft. It’s been a good year.

This is the most pessimistic I've entered a season since like 2008, so I'm real pleased.

E: Firing all the assistants looks like it was a pretty good decision. I know it was mostly Sean trying to protect himself and buy himself another year, but obviously worked a bit. Or it didn't. We had a great defense in 2013 and the same personnel fell to absolute poo poo a year later so maybe that'll happen again.

sponges posted:

Your team cheated in the most loathesome scandal in NFL history and you’re gloating about it.

For shame Saints fans

Charges didn't stick. Can't prove poo poo.

Chilichimp posted:

You had the good fortune of the Falcons being ~trash~ during his tenure. If I recall correctly... didn't the Falcons manage to snap Drew's touchdown streak in that stretch? nevermind that was 2012.

So it happened to not be the three years in the last two decades your team was good enough to get your rear end stomped in the playoffs?

Chilichimp posted:

Come on, son, ya'll started this poo poo tonight.

"Good game by the Falcons tonight. Things broke really well for them and they were able to get over a better team by outcoaching them in the 2nd half and exploiting their weaknesses"

"LOOK AT THIS SALTY BITCH"

gently caress off with that poo poo. (I thought your trash fire joke was funny)

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 7, 2018

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I think that poo poo is still costing us hosting Superbowls. Guess they'll have to settle for more WRESTLEMANIAS.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Cam joining the Witness Protection Program.

It looks like someone color inverted a photo of the nazi from Raiders.

Barudak posted:

I was there and remember up to yelling in the street when they officialy called it no take backs but I cant tell you anything after that moment.

Okay so I know that I went to Finn McCool's after to have my...20th drink or whatever (and then went to 8:30 calc class the next morning drinking gatorade). Did you come with us?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Sent from my iPad posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/949332018592124928

I know the city of New Orleans basically doesn't have any real doctors or the state of Louisiana a legitimate medical board, but at some point the Saints need to pay some northerners to move down and actually take care of this loving team.

Defense is going to be real interesting next year if Breaux comes back and Anzalone ends up being as good as they said he was.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Yea I thought was weird he didnt get flagged for obviously hitting Cam in the head too...

Weird...

Seriously though...thats like football 101. Tale as old as time.

If you're going to be all "HEY EVERYONE I MIGHT BE CONCUSSED" during the game, you don't get to come back in one play later with a "nah kidding."

It should be obvious why.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Well then, you're welcome and congrats Panther goons.

I'm bummed though. Norv probably has a few wrinkles that could work short run. Hopefully we don't have to play them early in the season.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, but I think this year the Falcons take home the unfortunate interception situation trophy in both negated by penalty and freakish circumstances categories

Falcons are 6-4 in 1 score games, which probably implies that they're the lucky ones. Especially because two of those are teams that would have gotten into the wild card over them had they won.

Also 10 games this year were 1 score games, christ.

Saints were 1-4 in 1 score games, and ended the season

But Panthers are 8-1 in 1 score games and are far and away the luckier of the 3.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

kopasetic posted:

Dong Phuong in New Orleans ships nationally and man do they make a great king cake

Not anymore. They just announced no more shipments this year because of demand. My mother in law picked one up for us before visiting this weekend and that poo poo is so good, but there was a two hour wait to get them.

My friend owns Mr. Bubbles on Canal and they sell Dong Phuong cakes and they have to put in their orders days in advance now because demand is so high.

All these people are right. Theirs is the best, and it's a crazy dark horse in a city with like 6 traditional mainstays.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Sent from my iPad posted:

Oh good, the Eagles didn’t bother to show up. Maybe next week the Falcons will actually face a playoff team that gives a poo poo?
The only correct answer is Rouse’s and they ship nationally for a very reasonable price.

Are you saying Rouse's is the best king cake?

I just need to know if we're in a fight.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Rouse's is a solid king cake especially for the price, but it's pure madness to call it the best.

It's the replacement level. If you bring anything worse than a Rouse's cake, you're bad person. It's a very good cake and it's pretty cheap so there's no reason to bring anything cheaper or spend more on worse cakes.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

BlindSite posted:

How are the falcons still not using their running backs?

Because they don't have a lead and unlike the Rams, the Eagles are one of the best run defenses in the league.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ulmont posted:

A list of a bunch of places that will ship king cake is here:

http://www.mardigras.com/news/page/mardi_gras_king_cake_database.html

I can personally vouch for:

Adrian's
Haydel's
Manny Randazzo's
Rouses
Sucre

...also Dong Phoung, Cake Cafe, and The Bywater Bakery are all also great but good luck getting them if you're out of town.

I've had Haydel's and Randazzo's shipped to me and if memory serves Haydels has never shown up crushed.

Someone always sends us something around Mardi Gras since we moved.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

I am too, purple is the hardest color to make a mixed drink in

Literally Purple Drink. Come on man.

Bonus points if you make a Flaming Moe.

Thats what stings. This defense with that offense = no brainer sb win. Welcome to life as a falcon fan. Life is pain.

The defense isn't good though. At FO: 22nd overall DVOA. 19th and 20th in Rush/Passing. 19th in D-Line Run Defense, 16th in adjusted sack %.. They had good luck at good times.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

After buying that can of Drank in college I refuse to recognize the validity of “Purple Drink” as a mixed beverage.

Also the Falcons were ranked 23rd in redzone touchdown percentage so they had even more issues

You can probably get Four Loko in purple?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

You know, I'm honestly less crushed than I thought I would be. That's just an incredible play.

Yeah, versus the Alex Smith TD, that didn't feel that bad.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Same. Maybe because I expected to lose all game, or because I don’t hate the Vikings, but I could definitely feel a lot worse.

Yeah I was mostly mad they even had the comeback since I wrote off the game yesterday and especially at halftime.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

You go first. :)

They already went.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Pats? Really? I guess you probably have some creeper love for them since they took out Atlanta but gimme Jags/Vikes.

Vikes would walk all over the Jags.

I'm okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

25 seconds. Wow.

Atlanta blew a 25 point lead in the Superbowl. What a coincidence.

A.o.D. posted:

In spite of the infuriating way it ended, this has been a pretty good season. I really missed those.

A really fun and completely out of no where season. Next year looks really fun too since 7-9 starters were on IR along with the 15 guys on IR.

• Locked thread