Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Desperately attention seeking AMERICA livery.

0 american drivers.

0 sponsors.

In fact 3 of the prototypes have GIANT AMERICAN FLAGS and there's a grand total of 0 Americans in the cars.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

ByKolles are switching to Nissan's leftover LMP1 engine (without the hybrid) for the WEC this season in their quest for reliability.

Hopefully it includes a working fuel pump since they burned through around 8 of them at Le Mans.

That's a very strange choice, although their straight line speeds weren't bad even without the hybrid I guess.

If nothing else, it's nice to have confirmation the comedy car will be back to somehow lose LMP1-L in a field of one.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Nope. Haven't seen updated practice times, but the Ducati always takes guys time to adjust. I'm sure he'll be close, but this feels like an off year.[edit] if you're going to trust one of Dovi or Lorenzo to get it right with the Ducati, do you go with the guy who knows the bike, or the alien? I feel like it's almost even, and the Suzuki will be better anyways.

I also can't remember offhand if any fuel/etc allowances that Ducati and Suzuki both got to encourage and help them will go away.

Neither get any this year I believe. I think KTM and Aprilia still get something.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That should just push them back to genuine title contenders too, especially with 2 recent champions on board (counting the Pirtek branded car that I assume will get equal tech).

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And I think that's it, suddenly he has real competition right there and he's paniced.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Have you considered it's tedious lie day?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Although the German national TCR series has over 40 entries.

So they've hosed up something with the organisation of the international series. I'm guessing it's much more expensive with little extra coverage.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

njsykora posted:

I feel it might be both, the grids fluctuate so wildly that there's almost no point to it being an international series since only 10 or so drivers actually run the whole season while everyone else is national series drivers who figured they might as well show up to their home race. The regulations are cool though since manufacturers seem to have taken to them the same way they took to GT3.

Though I did notice they decided to run the first round of the international series the same weekend as the Silverstone 24h touring car endurance race which is using TCR spec cars. That seems like a bad idea.

Hadn't even considered that.

Maybe they should consider making the TCR International a one-off "World Cup" at the end of the season at whichever middle eastern crap hole will host it.

Invite the top 5 that'll come from every regional series, get 40 on the grid.

Pablo Bluth posted:

So somehow the first pole of the BTCC season has amazingly gone to Jeff Smith.

It was a wet/dry qualifying session but it's going to be worrying for Honda.

*Nerd poo poo follows*

Jeff owns his own Eurotech team, running Hondas he's bought from the works team. But their Hondas don't have Honda engines, they're using the series provided Swindon units.

So Honda might not be able to beat a 50 year old CEO using their car with another engine.

Still, at least they're doing well in F1 *

*sub-editor please check.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Start of 2015.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

Fun BTCC weekend. Good to see Andrew Jordan back on form, awesome drive by Turkington in the second and third races, and some fun opening-weekend trademark BTCC chaos in race 2.

Some absolutely mental driving in the big Ginettas too. The top 2 hit each other and then the new top 2 hit each other.

It says something when the baby Ginettas are probably the calmest race of the day.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

Kubica left ByKolles :lol:

I hope it's because they're a poo poo show and not because he doesn't have the strength to do the job.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pablo Bluth posted:

Horrendous accident in a BTCC F4 support race. The director switched to an in-car poo poo in time for the driver to slam in to a broken down car at unabated speed.

Drivers still getting medical attention.

He's has both lower legs amputated it seems.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/BillyMonger23

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

https://www.motorsport.com/formula4/news/monger-woken-up-from-coma-after-amputations-896098/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Slightly unfortunate moment to focus on the "Got Talent?" sign on the back of it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I especially love the fact that Ash Sutton is wringing the living poo poo out of the car, finishing 15 places ahead and scoring 10 times the points means he has nowhere to hide whatsoever.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh that's absolutely part of it at this point, same with Matt Neal falling further and further behind Sheddon on average.

But this year he's struggling to beat James loving Cole, possibly literally the worst driver in the field.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

In other news, reoccurring joke ByKolles said they're unlikely to participate past the WEC Nurburgring round. The reasoning? Cost of having to ship the car and related equipment overseas.

They're also saying they'll be able to beat LMP2s at Le Mans. This, I do not believe until I see it happen.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/bykolles-unlikely-to-continue-past-nurburgring-wec-round-913479/

And true to form, they didn't beat them all in the test.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

dentist toy box posted:

Grid autosport was fun too even if I'm like the only person who played it.

Project CARS' near identical career mode rather replaced it for me, but I liked it while I played it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The ByKolles LOLmobile is only 5 seconds off the best hybrids in practice. Which means they're going to have to find some other way to be the comedy option during the race, that's basically the same speed the Rebellion car had last year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Basticle posted:

lmao I think they said a LMP2 did a quicker lap than the LMP1 pole from 2011

I went and checked, yep. 25.3 vs 25.7.

Which of course also means that ByKolles would have been on a 2011 pole....

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Are we doing an IRC or Slack or something for LeMans?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh christ ByKolles.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

At least it's only a puncture rather than their usual fuel pump fire

Ah I'm not the only one who immediately assumed that's what it was again.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

What even happened to the ByKolles car? Probably some scam poo poo considering it Colin Kolles but what was the official reason given?

Something fell off the 9 Toyota on lap 1 which got under the car causing it to go off, that bent the bodywork and hosed the cooling which blew the Nissan.

I'm not even kidding.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

A few times yes, a few times in a few seconds? Maybe not, because it's not something that generally happens so save the weight.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And they still finished 2nd, less than a second an hour back.

So clearly there's nothing wrong here.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

Aston Martin has been running a Vantage since like 2011 (and they also entered with one in 2009). It's been updated to take full advantage of shifting regulations during that time, but it's been the same platform the whole way through. Next year the platform changes to the replacement for the Vantage which is yet to be unveiled. Some lower-tier non-works Astons will still be the current Vantage because money.

Not just money, GTE Am classes rules require the car to be at least a year old.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

You do doughnuts in an unlicenced, non-road compliant vehicle on public roads I don't think there's many countries that wouldn't throw the book at you.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

When's the last time Audi ran a major program without Team Joest?

Guessing DTM and Formula E aren't "Major programs"?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That'll get your attention.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

What would we call that if he got a class victory? Tripleish crown?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

The first story I read on autosport said 5k, dunno where the 20k figure is from

If there were red flags and she flew past them then 20k is a great way to say "you could have killed someone you idiot, youre lucky we arent taking your licence".

Sophia tweeted 20k, the series then announced 5.

Whether that had anything to do with the reaction to 20 I don't know.

20k would be a great way to say that but the fine is specifically for uploading the video, nothing to do with anything that actually happened.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I completely forgot that ByKolles pulled out of LMP-1.

They didn't? They were at the Nurburgring last weekend.

Although I think they were considering taking the rest of the year to prepare for the arrival of the other privateers in 2018.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

an oddly awful oud posted:

It's really shocking how fast LMP1 fell apart. Just two years ago it was the arguably the pinnacle of motorsports development and seemed like it was thriving and ushering in a new age of high-performance hybrid sports cars.

Yeah,

2015 we had 14 LMP1 entrants.

2016 it was 9

This year it was 6.

Next year right now we have 3 officially announced. And 2 of those are a manufacturer who will now be epically pissed off and the rolling comedy troupe that is ByKolles.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Yeah, different gearboxes. Next season they're saying no car switching.

Season after.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

What if Toyota does stick around and they're the only manufacturer in LMP1 in the 2018 24 Heures du Le Mans... and still lose???

It's possible, but fairly unlikely.

Not least because if it's really only the LMP1Ls to deal with they'll turn the cars down massively and play it more conservatively in general.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

Pre-WSC race. There were 962s.

Yeah, WSC was the year after, although there's a couple of invitational WSCs in there.

At the end Bob Varsha muses we might have just seen the last race victory for the 962. He was right, unless you count the massively modified Dauers that won LeMans the next year.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 4, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That track really needs to not have the tyre chicanes but when 1 mistake is going to literally kill 12 people what are you doing to do?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, what you have there is a Joest led chassis but presumably they'll use the spec Gibson.

Get an LMP2 friendly track and that could be killer.

Or.... and to be honest more likely, you're going to find yourself turbo-last all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

YESSS first series to catch em all (other than one off runs at Le Mans)

And the Riley entry at LeMans was an actual joke.

Although to be fair that was probably Riley's fault rather than the team's.

• Locked thread