Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

ChiTownEddie posted:

Gotta say after my first scenario that included Zoey...
She just runs around murdering things. A+ char.

Need to try Zoey next. Or Rex.

Also, do people enjoy playing survivors? I've built an "Ashcan" Pete deck, but I don't feel like it will be any good. I mean, Duke's good, but he's once per turn unless discarding cards. I splashed Pickpocketing to help card draw (and along with Rabbit's Foot that should help). But just as Wendy, Pete's got willpower 4, and the survivor class can't really do anything with it.

Hopefully we'll see some cards that can take advantage of it, right now it feels like a wasted stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

I'll piggyback on this to add: am I correct that you can divide up incoming damage between you and your allies as you see fit? If I've got, say, 3 horror coming in to Agnes can I give her just one to trigger her ability and put the other two on an ally or asset?

Yup, that's OK.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

bobvonunheil posted:

Quick rules question:

I am attempting to pass a check of difficulty 2, with a skill of 2. I draw a -3 token; the final result can't go to -1 so it ends up at 0.

Can I play Lucky! to boost the result from 0 to 2, or does it actually count as a result of 1 if I was to play it?

It would count as 2 - 3 + 2 = 1 (vs 2, i.e. a fail). Compare with Look What I Found, which works after a failed test.

Edit: In case you are interested in the rules specifics, all modifiers are applied in ST5, and clamping the values are done in ST6. https://arkhamdb.com/rules#Skill_Test_Timing

Zerf fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

bobvonunheil posted:

Ah, I confused those two cards in my head - so Look What I Found would work in the situation I described above.

Yes, that's correct. In the end the test becomes 0 vs 2, which makes LWIF a valid play.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
New preview up: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/7/banished-to-the-other-realms/

Two new survivor cards spoiled. Pretty cool. I don't see much point in running Fire Extinguisher though, its combat effect sucks and surviors have pretty good evade cards already. Flare however, that card is good. Like, Double or Nothing boss killer good.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

I forget, is the Unique pip per player or for the table as a whole?

For the table, https://arkhamdb.com/rules#Unique

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, the next deluxe has been leaked. Check player cards here, if you'd like to see them: http://imgur.com/a/G7DPa

The new deluxe also contains 6 new investigators (one neutral). You can head over to https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/ to see them in the comments.

All new cards look mighty interesting, but I would've liked a new rogue weapon.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

COOL CORN posted:

Blood On The Altar came out YESTERDAY and it's sold out everywhere except CSI. That's ridiculous.

Just find a place which does subscriptions. My FLGS didn't but I talked to the guy running it and now they do; I don't want to be bothered with chasing down packs, there are better things to do with my time :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Plavski posted:

My FLGS had it, but they've started ramping the price up cos of demand - the gouging bastards!

You know, I support local gaming and supply/demand economics etc., but that still leaves a bitter taste.

There's no point in supporting such a business. I thought FLGSes had a hard time already, without actively scaring customers off.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Do you really want Taunt in that deck? Me and my SO are playing Zoey/Rex, and it was something we cut from an existing deck, since with 2 players only, I think the card does too little.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Radish posted:

I have it to save activations and in case Daisy got swarmed somehow but I have no idea how important that is in actual game play. What did you end up cutting it for?

Don't know exacly which cards that replaced it, but here's the list (we did some last-minute swaps, maybe one Dynamite for another Prepared for the worst?):

Zoey Samaras, Pair With Rex [Dunwich]

Zoey Samaras
Packs: From Core Set (2) to Undimensioned and Unseen
Assets
2x .45 Automatic (Core Set)
2x Physical Training (Core Set)
2x Beat Cop (Core Set)
2x Machete (Core Set)
1x Zoey's Cross (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Liquid Courage (The Dunwich Legacy)

Events
2x Evidence! (Core Set)
2x Dodge (Core Set)
2x Dynamite Blast (Core Set)
2x Drawn to the Flame (Core Set)
1x Prepared for the Worst (Blood on the Altar)
2x "If it bleeds..." (Undimensioned and Unseen)

Skills
2x Vicious Blow (Core Set)
2x Guts (Core Set)
2x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)
2x Quick Thinking (Undimensioned and Unseen)

Treacherys
1x Random Basic Weakness (Core Set)
1x Smite the Wicked (The Dunwich Legacy)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Soothing Vapors posted:

Even though Acidic Ichor's not a weapon, seeker base combat values are so low you might as well compare it to one. Compared to Lightning Gun it has the same amount of ammo, costs 1 less XP, provides 1 less fist (LG is plus 5, AI sets the Seeker universal base value of 2 to 6, which is not quite the same thing but close enough), and does the same damage. It's also much more resource-efficient, though it has the prerequisite thing going on.

I probably wouldn't use it on Roland, who has good weapons, or Daisy, who can just be a wizard instead, but it seems like a good card to give Rex or Minh a combat option. I think it will really shine for the third seeker in particular, who has very few combat options available.

I agree with this analysis, upgraded to AI myself in a Rex deck last campaign. While Seekers have some event cards for combat, it's likely that the only weapons they'll have access to are going to be somewhat similar to this. I bet Archaic Tome from PtC will upgrade to a attack spell card sort of similar to the SS upgrades

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Couple of rules questions about the core set scenarios:

1. In the 1st scenario, do I have to be in the same location as Lita (parlor) to parley with her?

2. In the 3rd scenario, the new spooky token effect says to draw another token. Do I combine both of their modifiers for the skill test?

Yes and yes

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, I have a question for an upcoming Dunwich campaing. We'll be a group of three players, one who'll be playing Jim and the other one Mark. I still haven't decided which gator I'm going to play. Duke and Rex are out (having played them recently, but I really feel Rex would be best in this group) and I don't want to play Lola (since she'll want to mess with the shared cardpool alot). Which gator should I pick and why? Are any of the Rogues decent enough to find clues, or do I need to go Seeker? I could see myself playing Yorick as well, but is his clue gathering skills enough? Please Obi-thread Kenobi, you're my only hope...

Zerf fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 25, 2017

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

ShaneB posted:

Maybe do a spellcasting Daisy or something off the wall with her? Dunno. Just an idea.

Was thinking of Daisy, but since one guy is playing Jim, all the nice spells are gone :/

My original plan was to play Mark myself, but since I own the collection I opted to choose last. I hope that Rogues gets more support for finding clues, I really want to play a sneaky character lurking about. Lockpick certainly helps, but those cost XP.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

sexart posted:

Since Mystic and Guardian pools are off-limits, try Wendy? I feel like Lockpicking along with the usual Survivor cards can make her a pretty good main investigator that is excellent at evasion as well.

Yeah, just went through all investigators and my options seems to be Wendy, Jenny or Minh. I'll have to think about that a bit, since I'm not overly excited by any of them.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Zerf posted:

Yeah, just went through all investigators and my options seems to be Wendy, Jenny or Minh. I'll have to think about that a bit, since I'm not overly excited by any of them.

Decided to go with a Dark Horse Minh build (current iteration here: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/71037) . Anyone here tried her yet? Does she have any combos I should be aware about?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Lichtenstein posted:

Quick Carcosa Big Box question: of basic weaknesses, I got Overzealous twice and the two others in just one copy. Is that how that's supposed to be?

Yep

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Radish posted:

Overzealous does seem like the worst basic weakness to get.

I don't know, there are some combos that are really bad (like Drawing the Sign for Minh, which combos superbad with her signature weakness, as I've experienced). The thing with Overzealous is that it's super-swingy, from not that bad at all to you-just-lost-the-scenario bad. I imagine that Zoey won't care too much, for example, because she can cope with both will-tests and enemies. But overall, yeah, I think it's up there with the worst, and you get two copies to boot :(

Haven't played with it yet myself though, but I guess it's only a matter of time before it shows up :/

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Quidthulhu posted:

So, my cardbox containing the Dunwich Legacy encounter deck went flying from my third story balcony today. I thought I collected all the cards but I seem to be missing both copies of "Sordid & Silent," #89.

Just double checking they came in the box & also that they wouldn't be somewhere weird in the box (like some of the other missing number sequences I had to go digging for).

Yeah, they're in the box, an easy way to see that is to go by encounter set # (because that's unique, they should be #3 and #4 in the Dunwich encounter set) instead of card # (which might not be unique per individual card)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Quidthulhu posted:

Hmm, time to figure out where I can buy these two cards :v:

(And also if I'm missing any other....)

Contact FFG custom support, they seem to be quite nice even for cases like this when it's not really their fault. Also, the box should contain "five mini cards and 156 full-size cards" according to https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/the-dunwich-legacy/, so make sure to count them first :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Prairie Bus posted:

Has anyone seen complete spoilers for the player cards from The Pallid Mask? It’s supposed to release tomorrow, but I’ve only seen two cards from the set.

pallid mask spoilers https://imgur.com/gallery/MIKnO

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
I've cheated a few times and reset the scenario. But now that I play with two friends, I found that time is more precious than getting a perfect score. This in turn has led me to just keep going, no matter the result. The game seems balanced toward not winning all scenarios, and bad results often doesn't have that bad consequences.

I like this way of playing much more, because first you get to experience different parts of the story, second I want to play the same scenarios again because I want to do better - instead of remembering a scenario as "that scenario I had to redo three times"

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Radish posted:

The one issue I have is the person I play this with has the enthusiasm to play through a campaign one time. I'm also in the head space that a cycle is designed to be used together but that may not be the case.

Just playing the game is probably the correct idea though. I kinda wish they would design the releases with the 0 costers coming in the box and then getting higher XP cards in the packs.

The majority of player cards in the last two packs in the Dunwich cycle were XP upgrades though, I think it's quite probable that the same will hold true for the Carcosa cycle. Personally, I would start playing anyway :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alg posted:

Yeah I mean of course I would expect odd balance issues if I played with more players than the game supports

Yeah, some of the scenario setups lists different rules for 1 to 4 players, so there's definitely going to be issues that you need to solve.

Not my cup of tea to play that way, but as said, if people want to play that way why not :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

Such amazing cards in the next pack, holy poo poo.

They're up on cardgamedb and Arcane Initiate (3), Not without a fight, Suggestion, St. Hubert's Key, Stick to the plan (!!!) and Ward of Protection (2) all look great.

A bit sceptical to Arcane Initiate(3) due to xp cost and Nwaf, due to play restrictions. St Huberts Key will be a cool combo card, do you have a build i mind?

Also, Stick to the plan. Possibly the best card in the game after Higher Education?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Where is the card spoiler for stick to the plan?

Edit: Turns out I am illiterate

OK stick to the plan is amazing. That's just an auto include in any deck that can take it. Would be ace with shortcut as well! Two free actions and draw a card for 3XP is so strong.

It's Exceptional though, so 6 xp. Still worth every point.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

St Huberts combos with anyone with low sanity and who wants to use the new 4-icon neutral cards. Pete for instance could drop himself to 3 sanity right out of the gate.

And don't forget, while it does lower your sanity by 2, it also heals 2 sanity damage if you were to die from sanity loss AND at the same time also removes itself thus increasing your sanity back by 2. Effectively that's a 4 sanity heal.

Clearly it directly competes with Holy Rosary. Both increase Willpower by 1. Both increase total sanity damage capacity by 2. Though St Huberts allows you to take all that damage on your investigator, which Agnes likes. Additionally St Huberts also gives +1 Intellect. In exchange it costs 2 resources more.

This means it is amazing for Mystics who value an extra Intellect point. Marie (5 Will and 5 Intellect) should loving love this. Jim (5 Will and 4 Intellect) should also be excited. If Agnes can afford it this card will let her trigger her ability more often.

Sold. Yeah, I didn't really run the numbers on this, it's actually quite good, if you can spare the resources.

Orange Devil posted:

Now allow me to sell you on Arcane Initiate (3). For a cost of 0 resources you get to draw one of your most important cards almost every turn with no risk of drawing a weakness. Additionally you have a chance of a 2 sanity soak depending on doom gamestate.

I straight up believe AI(3) will take priority over upgrading your spells. Because while Shrivelling(3) and Rite of Seeking(4) are great cards, they are a complete waste of XP unless you actually draw them. Consistency > raw power.

Not sold! :) I don't find AI(3) particularly compelling since AI(0) has the exact same tutor effect. I mean, sure, the 1->0 cost is nice, and you have an option to avoid the potential doom (but at a cost). But the thing is, I don't find the doom on AI(0) especially hard to play around - either you can play it when the agenda would advance next turn anyway, kill her via mobs (perhaps AoO) or Forbidden Knowledge, juggle her with Calling in Favors, play doom removal cards, etc. So there are plenty of options for AI(0), is 3XP really worth it for the upgrade? (to be clear: I do like and play AI(0), so I acknowledge that the tutor effect is good)

Orange Devil posted:

For the same consistency > power reason, Stick to the Plan might be better than Higher Education. That's how amazing that poo poo is. You can *guarantee* that you will be able to use powerful cards (including powerful high-XP cost cards) right from the start of every single game.

Yeah, this is probably the first card you buy if you can include it in your deck. As you mention, the payback in XP makes it even better if you don't want 2x Ever Vigilant or 2x Extra Ammo etc. Also saves card slots for things like Dynamite which you can run as a one-of since you are guaranteed to draw it. Such an amazing card.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Xlorp posted:

Rereading the thread double core set looks like the way to go for most convenience and pairing options. Then plow into a campaign series.
How is Agnes paired with Jenny?

I think that it can work, but the main issue is that Mystics in general take some time to build up their gamestate. Once they have Shrivelling and Rite of Seeking on the board you're fine, but you can run into trouble getting there. I do believe the same applies to Jenny as well, she needs a bit of a setup time before she becomes good. So the early turns is your Achilles heel, especially if drawing an enemy or two. You can compare this with a Guardian, which is ready as soon as a weapon hits the table, or for example Ashcan Pete, who can both battle and investigate reasonable without any setup (also an interesting choice to pair with Agnes). But hey, go for it, any combination of investigators are fun to play :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

... Having played through Path of Carcosa no, no I did not.

Huh.

Accidental hard mode, nice :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Xlorp posted:

I so wanted a Thelma and Louise theme to start, but that resource cliff seems tough with Agnes in particular. I love her in a 4 player. Very few things can survive a full unloading of Shriveling with a baseball bat for coup de grace. Basically the Demogorgon send off.

I have a second core and all the Dunwich packs to pick up next week (birthday thing). Then I can get super efficient for picked duo runs and all fluffy for the group.

Agnes is perfectly playable in a 2p scenario. Maybe pair her with Zoey? If Zoey splashes 2x Rite of Seeking, 2x Drawn to the Flame, 1x Delve Too Deep, she's quite good at finding clues. She can probably take care of the early game until Agnes is set up. Agnes running Forbidden knowledge enables you to ping enemies for damage, and if Zoey gets her cross out you can defeat minor foes with 1-3 hp by pinging them to death instead of fighting them, which makes the team very efficient when it comes to actions.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Bottom Liner posted:

code:

Fighting                                                      Investigating

Guardian       Rogue          Survivor         Mystic           Seeker

While I agree with Guardian, Rogue and Seeker here, saying that Survivors are better at combat than Mystics is a bit misleading imo. Survivors lack access to any decent weapon with more than +1 to damage, while Shrivelling is really good upgraded. I'd argue that they both can investigate good and handle combat, so they are should fill the same slot.

Regarding archetypes, I'd say that survivors are sort of early-bloomers, being really good in the first scenarios but have a harder time to utilize XP, rogues are decent at combat, excel in economy but require more finesse to play well. Mystics are slow to set up but once they have, they can do everything.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Bottom Liner posted:

Survivors can reliably succeed at combat, even better than Guardians in a lot of cases, even if they don't have much added damage. Mystics are IMO the highest risk/reward class and while they can do big burst it often comes with a drawback or is unreliable. It's not a strict scale though, certain investigators/decks could certainly swap those positions.

I do find that the ability to inflict damage quickly is what defines whether a deck is good at combat or not - while survivors can manipulate tests to go their way, these effects are often one-shot and if you must pass mutiple tests in order to take down an enemy that sort of negates the benefit of passing the first test. But yeah, it's crrtainly not a strict scale and sooner rather than later we'll probably see different archetypes emerge from the same class.

Also, soon Guardians will have their share of safe tests as well: https://arkhamdb.com/card/03304 :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Radish posted:

Thanks for the tips and explanations. Might be roleplaying playing Lady and the Tramp go to France with Pete and Jenny since I played a guardian last time and want to do something different. Will that be an issue about investigating will it since neither of their intelligence is super high (Duke mitigates this somewhat)?

I think you'll do fine - Jenny can boost intellect using the core boost cards or Streetwise, and get a 6 base investigate using lockpicks. Pete has Duke and Look What I Found, and can use Newspaper/splash Milan or Magnifying Glass for intelllect boost.

You biggest weakness is probably that you'll have a hard time to get more than 1 clue per investigate action, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

Arcane Research lets you take a mental trauma in exchange for a 1XP discount on the first spell you buy after every scenario--that could be a good 6-8XP value over the course of a campaign. Seems like a good choice for Norman Withers maybe?

You can run 2 copies of Arcane Research though :toot: But note that it's only upgrades, not new cards.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

KPC_Mammon posted:

So you can get 2 x Shrivelling (5) for 2 xp if you spread it over 4 sessions. :drat:

Yes, sounds really good, maybe even moreso for a support Jim which can heal away the horror (but I guess a tutor would be needed for that).

Still, 14-20 extra XP per campaign(depending on 0-3 extra sidequests)! :aaaaa:

Wonder if Survivors will get discounts on Exile cards and Rogues on Exceptional cards or something similar...

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Boxman posted:

Is the one core set experience supposed to be fairly punishing, or are we awful at this game? Because we just went through twice (once with Roland/Wendy, the other with Daisy/Skids) and got completely wrecked in game three both times. Like, not even close to success.

although one time we did get lucky and were able to throw Lita to the beastie, which is...well, not a loss exactly

With one core, decks become super-random, which means that it takes much longer to set up, which means scenarios get harder.

While it certainly is doable to beat the scenarios, you need to be quite skilled or have the stars align. What do you do for example, if Roland doesn't find a weapon quite quick or Agnes Shrivelling is at the bottom of her deck? A second core doubles the chances of drawing vital cards, which makes for a much smoother experience. The core set cards are still quite widely used, so a second core is still worth the expense.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I'm not a big fan of Glyphs

How come? It super awesome with Higher Education, and Daisy can use Book of Shadows to refill it if needed.

Imo, Glyphs is one of the reasons why I think Daisy has dethroned Rex as the number one Seeker. On mutiple occations in our Carcosa campaign has Glyphs cleared 6+ clues (one time 9 clues in a single action), leading to more XP and faster progress in scenarios. As for Daisy herself, she brings so much more team utility than Rex, with Encyclopedia and Old Book of Lore.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

If it turns out Finn Edwards can’t carry the 1903 Springfield, I’m gonna cry.

I think you'd better prepare a good supply of napkins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

Dammit, I just want the rifle to stop being dead card! Maybe if Leo can use a couple Stray Cats or something?

I think we have to accept that it's an unnecessary card at this point. There could have been a number of tweaks that would've made it playable or semi-playable, like:

* 4r->3r to play it, making it a cheap option compared to higher XP alternatives
* 4XP->3XP, making it a cheap XP option(with added restrictions) compared to Shotgun/Lightning Gun. Also, available for characters with access to Guardian(3) cards.
* Working against "aloof" enemies
* Adding a "Rifle" keyword, so it can interact with other cards, like a possible "Scope" card.

We'll see if we'll ever get a Guardian able to Evade, but right now I see really no reason to run this instead of Shotgun/Lightning Gun. Also, we'll probably see more high-end Guardian weapons soon, so it will probably get even stiffer competition.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Kinda like how the trench knife exists to remind players that engaging monsters provokes attacks of opportunity. That is one I've screwed up a couple of times in the past but not since that card came out.

I kinda like the idea of (preferable with a new keyword) some enemies being counted as two. In that case, we would see the value of Machete fall a bit and other cards at least have some chance of providing an alternative.

Zerf fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 21, 2018