Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

While I don't believe Gavin or Milo are Neo-Nazis, they have been playing footsie with Nazi and Fascist imagery, while promoting Western chauvinism to kids.

They are bad hombres.
They are proto-fascists. As in they adopt fascist trappings but haven't jumped all the way. The "Proud Boys" also remind me in a way of Youth for Western Civilization, which was a defunct network of student organizations. Matthew Heimbach was involved with them before he went all the way into neo-Nazism.

It's really a kind of academic distinction and I don't care to litigate it. But I see fascism as a revolutionary, totalitarian form of extreme right-wing nationalism. Heimbach and the Traditional Workers Party -- they are fascists. But there are also plenty of regimes in history which are illiberal, racist, authoritarian and generally bad news that are not fascist ... and some of them even incorporated fascistic elements when they found it opportune. Franco's Spain is an example.

With guys like Milo and Gavin, you can see them adapt to fit the power structure. I can easily see them radicalizing further into outright fascism, but they are also happy to play with ambiguity and proto-fascism in the service of a right-wing but non-fascist cause.

There's another term I've heard which is "Apartheid Liberal" which I think is interesting. There's little-l liberalism and a relative degree of personal freedoms that are left untouched, but it's combined with a repressive police state, racism, anti-immigrant crackdowns etc. But it lacks the coordination of society to build a "new man," mandatory athleticism and military conscription for all males, Strength Through Joy programs and all that -- which is hard to imagine in 21st century America.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, what's interesting about Milo is that you can watch him try on different outfits over this life. Maybe it's because I can see myself in Milo a little bit, but he tries on different identities. Here's him playing with fascism, at another time he was trying out this stuffy conservative Catholic role, another time as a "tech" commentator, and this idea of playing roles (really, drag) is important to understanding what he does now.

Richard Spencer, for instance, is too toxic and doesn't get invited around much. Yiannopolous, however, will dance with the far right, but his drag persona is disarming for his largely conservative and moderate audience. And he'll literally dress in drag.

He plays a character that says things that are farther to the right than (I suspect) a literal speaker could get away with and still get invited by college Republican groups and so on. He will call a black person an "ape," but he sleeps with black men so he can't be a racist, you see. "And if you can't see the distinction, then you're the problem. You're just too sensitive, and I'm so harmless and gay and innocent... You know I don't really mean it."

"Except I do."

That's subversion and that's drag performance.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Now here's the problem with his :qq: free speech defense. If you insult someone, call them an "ape" or a similarly dehumanizing term, and then when they become angry, you mock them for being angry, "little precious / snowflakes" and so on, that is humiliating. You will feel devalued as a person if someone does that to you.

If the target is a censorious student, I can understand why someone would want to take the student down a peg -- and take their power to censor away. And I can see why conservative college students respond to Yiannopolous so much.

I think that's why Milo attracts such intense rage, too. He's a drag performer, right? He's immune to insult. If you fire back, he will just mock and degrade you further. His fans think they can get away with calling a gay person a human being because they love Milo, thus they can't be homophobes.

But you can only do this for so long before people react. You can ignore it, which is wiser, but human beings are animals and at a certain point they will punch you in the nose if you keep on humiliating them. If you call someone a human being, you're probably asking for a punch. So I think the violent reaction is a way of saying "yes, you're right, we are censorious -- and you will dare not mock us."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The real problem with the :qq: free speech defense is that it doesn't account for the "fighting words" exception. If you engage in speech that's threatening to an individual or a group, and they react with violence then it's in their natural right to do so. There are legal limits for this, obviously. Anonymous rioters will still be prosecuted, and if somebody punched Milo they could still be charged with assault - but rhetorically it doesn't hold up at all. The Far Right thinks of free speech as a shield which liberates themselves from consequence while everyone else has to deal with the implications of their politics. But reality don't work that way.
Yeah two court cases on this:

Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire

Feiner v. New York

quote:

Focusing on the "rise up in arms and fight for their rights" part of Feiner's speech, the Court found that Feiner's First Amendment rights were not violated because his arrest came when the police thought that a riot might occur; the police attempted to suppress Feiner's message not based on its content but on the reaction of the crowd. The Court reaffirmed that a speaker cannot be arrested for the content of his speech and that the police must not be used as an instrument to silence unpopular views but must be used to silence a speaker who is trying to incite a riot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feiner_v._New_York
The issue is, for it to be legal, the incitement must likely lead to an "imminent" breach of peace. As in... right NOW. Not at some indeterminate future date.

This for example, is when the court ruled the other way. A racist Catholic priest provoked a riot outside a stadium and was arrested, but the Court overturned his conviction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminiello_v._City_of_Chicago

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Feb 12, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I remember seeing Milo on a British T.V. show years ago and the other panelists just laughed at him.

And then he went away.

Why can't we just do that?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i was going to see maher because mom bought tickets and

i wasn't really into it but she did it anyways so i kinda had to go

and sure why not

but then he canceled the show and rescheduled for ... april sometime i think

so it's still on!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ace of Baes posted:

I don't think anyone considers Bill a progressive, he's literally the caricature of a limosuine liberal.
I would agree with this.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He's also had Reza Aslan and Maajid Nawaz on. (I think he should invite Shadi Hamid.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoku posted:

his headlining at CPAC is getting him a lot of attention

including dredging up an old video where he advocates for pedophilia

https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/833405993006616576

oh wait, sorry, not pedophilia, ephebeophilia

a good, classic defense of sex predation
interesting

yeah reading right-wing forums and on facebook, they like milo for trolling the left but i don't know how this is supposed to work, exactly. fact is, a lot of righties do not like him and tolerate him only insofar as he's useful

also my right-wing facebook friends thought his maher appearance was a disaster

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol yeah basically its gonna be a war between the alt right and the religious right or at least i hope so. and yeah i can easly believe milo(and amazing "pour scalding oil on my microdick" athiest) are fine with sick poo poo like that. again milo learned about gays from bullshit religious right stuff so when he realized he was gay(or whatever he is) he took on that stereotype of empty hedonism and sexual degeneracy.
the "twinks for trump" thing really gave it away. some of those "models" looked like third world boy prosts

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Milo advocating for NAMBLA in a video with The Amazing Atheist

Having to type those words fills me so much rage i want to destroy the entire internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ-EOg38t1o

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUTDOLpQCo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zikan posted:

lmao it's going to be even more of a poo poo show
OH GOD LOCK THE DOORS

he really is like a supervillain character.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

If he's dropped by Breitbart I will not stop laughing.

The Rise and Fall of Milo, all in the span of a three days.
Random thought: I wonder if Maher is smarter than D&D gives him credit for.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A lot of people have compared Milo to being the new Ernst Rohm and predicted that Milo would also end up also getting "purged" just like Rohm did as soon as the people he backed got into power. Not exactly a "Night of the Long Knives" sort of downfall, but the people he backed DID get into power, and now the Useful Idiot is no longer useful. How much longer will it be before they purge Trump as well and let Mike "Handmaid's Tale" Pence take over, which pretty much seems to have been the Dominionist/Koch endgame all along?
He's an Uncle Rohm.

Well technically it's pronounced Roehm but it's funnier if you pronounce it as "Rom."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

was Rohm even gay? i have read historical opinions saying it was one of the excuses hitler cooked up to get rid of him.
I'm almost certain he was, although it was also an excuse Hitler gave to get rid of him when the real reason was to eliminate a rival center of power.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

It was spearheaded by #NeverTrump regardless of it it's true or not. Reagan Battalion(where this all started) is a conservative #NeverTrumper, Ted Cruzite, homophobe who was gunning for Milo for a long while.

Not because of racism, but because of course, he's a gay.

The rest of the #NeverTrumpers jumped on the band wagon because gently caress MILO is just a fun thing to do.
Peter Thiel is a much better alternative gay Trumpist if you're coming at it from a conservative perspective.

I mean he's a vampire who drinks youth blood but he's > Milo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is "Steve Bannon's favorite investigative reporter" and a big shot at Breitbart.

Doesn't sound good for Milo.

https://twitter.com/stranahan/status/833860824066248704

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I pray there's a video out there somewhere of Alex Jones screaming the word peckerwoods

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Milo's invitation to CPAC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGJkG5qo4r0&t=138s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Milo and Marlow (the Breitbart EIC) also blamed a liberal group and the liberal media, which is hilarious bullshit but it's a good way to save face.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You don't take responsibility for the hit if you whack one of your own guys.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I can't even begin to imagine having an enormous book deal, being an editor on the media outlet with a direct line to the president, having just had a major interview, and getting invited to give the keynote address for an organization that just a few years ago would've spit on your sexuality... and then the next day it's all gone. Karma waited for the exact right moment to destroy this man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmPhaG1ud38

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

So I guess then his parting ways with Breitbart wasn't a mutual decision afterall.
Of course not. Milo got sacked.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/stranahan/status/834173544724508673

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I agree with this actually.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bud K ninja sword posted:

agree with what? wearing a boyz-to-men outfit? You were there when milo caught a fish that big? or the "emotionally needy Ann Coulter wannabe" quote which could just as easily be tattooed on that condescending rear end in a top hat bill maher's forehead as well?
It's just my thinking of how the news and media biz work. As was pointed out

Yossarian-22 posted:

I pretty much agree with Pale Horse. Most of what Milo was saying wasn't bad as he was mostly defending pedophilia anecdotally (i.e. it can be consensual and not traumatizing for sexually mature teens but age of consent laws are still important), and age of consent is admittedly somewhat arbitrary. The problem is how this contrasts with his reactionary anti-trans bullshit

On the scale of Milo bullshit this is one of the least groteque things he's ever said. But eh, the ends justify the means and I'm glad he's been canned for it b/c gently caress Milo
So dumping the pedophilia comments before the weekend wouldn't have worked. And in any case, they were already out there and no one cared. Milo had to rise to a significant enough level (but not too significant) for the comments to work as an effective attack. So him going on Maher was a breakthough moment for his career, which preceded the CPAC announcement, but it was also when he was most vulnerable.

A similar thing happened to Nick Griffin in the U.K. after he appeared on Question Time. He faded after that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not that Maher deserves too much credit here. He notes in the interview that he wasn't trying to sabotage Milo. It just worked out that way once he got enough exposure.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CGasparino/status/834502236550074368

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I still think this whole CPAC invite thing was a setup. Maybe I've watched too many mob movies but it feels very Joe Pesci-in-Goodfellas. "You're gonna get made, kid." And then "WHACK" when his guard is down. And now the Breitbart execs saying alt-right is hurting business... they didn't just decide this yesterday.

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

The disgust/taboo around adult/minor sexual interaction is ultimately rooted in an awareness of the extreme power imbalance in the situation, one that generally is not handled or accounted for. When you're young, sex is a crash course, and I think there are far better ways of providing positive guidance around sex to young people that don't involve exposing them to the risk of adults taking advantage of them.
I had a conversation with a self-declared "ephebophile" who had gotten banned repeatedly from the forums, and his argument was that he was just attracted to teenagers. But I told him "You're almost 30. You know your teenage girlfriend isn't going to be a teenager forever, right?"

His response was silence. It is exploitation. Running through it all is using people up and then discarding them. Which also fits well with Milo's whole personality, opportunistically exploiting situations and other people, etc.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Feb 22, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Good article from Laurie Penny:

https://psmag.com/on-the-milo-bus-with-the-lost-boys-of-americas-new-right-629a77e87986#.m6k3y6crx

Milo's young entourage seemed way in over their heads.

quote:

Slow down here, because this is important. However they may bluster online, the new right and the alt-right hate being called Nazis. They’ve all seen too many movies for it not to matter somewhere deep down where they tell themselves the story of their own heroism. In fact, ever since Inauguration Day, the alt-right has been in meltdown, splitting and splintering in cascading identity crises as only a formerly underground movement can when it attains power. Of course, it’s not my job as a reporter to give activists advice, but if it were, I’d say: No, they’re not all fascists, and not everyone reacts to being called one by changing their tune. But the strategic application of Nazi-shaming works. The real pity is that conservative hypocrisy seems to work faster.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so all this alt-right stuff makes me wonder

where are the parents

mom and dad need to slap some poo poo out of some kids

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus posted:

Don't think for a moment that this will stop me being as offensive, provocative and outrageously funny as I want on any subject I want. America has a colossal free speech problem. The land of the First Amendment has some of the most oppressive social restrictions on free expression anywhere in the western world. I'm proud to be a warrior for free speech and creative expression.
he might be right about this, but he hasn't thought about it very deeply. and it might also be that because the First Amendment has such strong protections from govt interference, the social prohibitions are stronger as a means to compensate.

milo would often gloat about how much he understood america better than americans do, but he is living in an abstract version of america where people don't get punched in the goddamned mouth for yapping too much.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
stupid beef and bad words get people killed in the united states at far higher rates than many european countries. (i think the U.S. is a western hemisphere colonial empire marked by slavery and with more similarities to many latin american countries than it does to europe.)

so milo's celebration of free speech runs into a contradiction in america in that it's a heavily-armed and rather violent country for a "developed / western" state. hannah arendt observed that "violence is mute." the gun rights advocates phrase it as "an armed society is a polite society." another way of putting it is that people are under greater social pressure to watch what they say because the pervasive threat of lethal [<--emphasis] violence in american life has coercive power that overrides the abstract notion of unfettered free speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0hPhIr-ANY

ed balls walks into a saloon

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Let's not kid ourselves by pretending we've not heard people say this sort of stuff privately.
Oh yah

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking, Milo probably couldn't even do much touring in Britain (at least with his current act) because the universities would never even allow him in the first place. He could be fined, and so on.

To be sure, a lot of Brits get KTFO'd in pubs every night for saying the wrong thing to the wrong people at the wrong time. And Brits shoot each other too. But I was just chatting with my brother about this, and he made the comment how he was walking his girlfriend's dog in the rural Texas town near here where she lives, and he had to make a mental note about where he walked because of... rednecks with guns and strict definitions of property lines, basically. So the threat of RIP no-joke gun violence is pretty pervasive even if we don't consciously think about it.

A Milo fan shot an Antifa guy outside one of his events, right? I have a feeling Milo might be right about America being socially more restrictive about speech, but he doesn't understand why that is. The state restrictions are weaker but there's all these unwritten rules and social norms that break down when johnny foreigner decides to get disruptive.

What Milo also does is this fetishism and creation of a perfect abstract system, belief or theory about American speech. It's very very gay (I'm gay too and recognize it) and very Catholic. I remember Andrew Sullivan basically describing Pope Benedict XVI's penchant for super liturgical, perfectly abstract dogma as coming from a particular type of repressed gay syndrome. And it's all uber-accessorized with over-the-top clothing; overcompensating. You can't live with yourself as it is, so you create a perfect abstract version of the world and your role in it.

Ok I'm done.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Feb 23, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Alex totally wants a black footlong.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He actually does.

There's a goon from Austin out there who has a story about it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to take credit that'd be rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
But the story is that Alex Jones tried to pick up his bisexual black friend at a bar

Don't know if he's kissed any footlongs or been caught in bed with any footlongs though