Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hahaha when Hank is cleansing Bobby's room of "smut" in the boy band episode he throws away a magician's hat and a model of the Eiffel tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

In the episode "Hank's Back Story" it is revealed that Hank Hill has a medical condition where he has no rear end whatsoever. However in the ending credits scene for the episode Traffic Jam, Hank Hill states that the racial stereotype of White people possessing no butts is not true, with Black comedian-turned-propane-salesman Roger "Booda" Sack agreeing with him and adding that:

A. Hank Hill is self-evident proof that this assertion is false and that

B. Hank Hill's butt is "drat fine"

Did Hank Hill unknowingly cut his rear end off in the two seasons between the episodes? Does Booda Sack have terrible taste in butts? Frankly I don't know what to believe anymore.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Catalina posted:

Which is the episode where Boomhauer speaks perfect Spanish? My sister works as a Spanish Interpreter, and the last time she saw it was before she had even decided on a degree in Spanish. Since it's on Hulu now, we're watching it from the beginning, and she has to be the one who has the remote, because when Peggy speaks Spanish, she often has to pause the show from laughing so hard at Peggy's word choices and terrible, terrible accent.
That's just another amazing detail this show does. Not only did they write Peggy speaking terrible Spanish, they wrote it in such a way that it's hilarious to bilingual speakers who know both English and Spanish.
For instance, in Hank's Got the Willies, she tells Hank that he needs to spend some time with Bobby and talk to him "mano a mano" which obviously she thinks means "man to man", but actually means "hand to hand", when "mano a mano" is also a phrase with a connotation that means a conflict between two people.

Peggy's Spanish is genius.

All the mistakes she makes in her famous courtroom speech in Lupe's Revenge are all very easy mistakes to make because they're all almost the right word but not quite like "caballo" (meaning horse) instead of "caballero" (gentleman) or sound very similar to an English word despite meaning something different. (Embarazada means pregnant not embarrassed, and its actually a mistake English-speakers are so infamous for making that almost every Spanish textbook will repeatedly remind you not to make it.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

killer crane posted:

While her awful Spanish is great, the times she corrects native speakers is peak Peggy Hill.

I recieved a lot of calls from Mexico, their Spanish wasn't great, but I could still piece together that they were getting sick after drinking Alamo beer.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

He's already got the black vote: Earl. And the gay vote: Earl.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's the one where Hank is telling lots of lies to the horrible visiting businessman from Massachusetts. Bobby thinks Hank can't be his father because Hank was in a Mexican POW camp during the 80's. He takes a (wrong) piece of information he was given and makes a logical conclusion. Later on we find out Joseph knows his dad was away when he was conceived, which is correct, and he draws no conclusions at all.

Incorrect. He draws the conclusion that Dale was abducted by aliens had his DNA stolen which the aliens then used to impregnate Nancy because even though Dale isn't his real father Joseph IS Dale's son.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cINRh4c3P8s
Much better song from the King of the Hill album

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 11, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

King of the Hill was in fact how I found the Old 97s which is something I will forever be indebted to them for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcwH-MzudnA

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

redreader posted:

I've watched a season or two of King of the Hill. Can someone explain boomhauer, if that's his name. The guy who talks too softly or unintelligibly to understand. Is he a normal representation of a certain type of Texan or something? I'm sure he's not, but... I don't get it?

Boomhauer's super-relatable. I know a lot of people irl who are completely unintelligible because they combine an extremely thick accent with mumbling. Nobody can understand them but nobody wants to point it out because it would be impolite. He's probably the thing from King of the Hill I reference most often irl.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

pixaal posted:

You cannot possibly have understood Boomhauer the first time you heard him.

You can if you're from the South my friend

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

After Panini basing music videos on classic cartoons is apparently a whole thing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSORFI2XzU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

princess_peach posted:

ooooh, thats a much better series finale.drat fine ending.

Yeah, it was understated but appropriate to the series and ended with Bobby and Hank bonding over something without having to sacrifice who they were. Much better than the first intended series finale which was just a boring-rear end Wedding ending like we're in a loving Elizabethan comedy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I could see bobby being a restaurateur but I don't see him as stereotypical hipster

Bobby grew up to be head of the FDA's meat inspection department.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

you broke my grill posted:

I guess it's "Dream Weaver" s12e9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Hill_(season_12)

Nancy wants Dale to get a new job since he is not making any money, so he and Hank go on a "vocation vacation" to learn basket weaving. Meanwhile, Peggy, Kahn and Bill try to achieve Internet stardom by creating a wacky viral video.

This was a really good episode by late season standards. Hank going from absolutely disgusted with the basket weaving to adoring it and developing a passion for it because it involves tools and craftsmanship is amazing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Stephen Root is one of the greatest American character actors ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhrnMbhMgmw

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hes in literally everything which is set in the south or features a southern-accented minor character. If you write a 5 minute screenplay for a student film at Ole Miss Stephen Root will just materialize out of nowhere and start performing lines.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If your city does not recieve enough water to support a lawn its a sign that as Peggy Hill put it: this city should not exist its a monument to mans arrogance.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a great bit in that scene where he calls muhammad ali Cassius clay. Like he's his go to example and clearly respects his talent, but Muhammad just seems a little too exotic, you know?

He was actually referring to the original Cassius Clay the Kentucky abolitionist who once got shot by a pro-slavery assassin during a speech, stopped to kick that guys rear end with his bare hands, and then returned to finish his anti-slavery speech.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Another Bill posted:

AMERICANS CAN'T OWN LAND IN MEXICO

I thought this was true and then my spanish teacher explained to me that it only applies next to the border and even then they have 99 year leases if you really want a plot in Tijuana or something

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hank laughing french-canadianly is the real star here imo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

Also in Old Glory when Peggy buys ad space to run her musings because she got replaced by celebrity birthdays.

EDIT
Also, this is just hilarious

Doesn’t have ellipsis instead of periods 2/10

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Shishkahuben posted:

who is Hank thinking of here?

weird al yankovic who blew his brains out in the 80s when people stopped buying his records

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

womb with a view posted:

I always thought Bobby was blonde because he was young, and that he'd get dark hair like his parents as he got older, but now I realise in every flashback Peggy and Hank both had their adult hair colour, so now I don't know what to believe

most people i know whose hair darkened as they got older was like they were blonde as a toddler and by puberty their hair was their adult color

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The Mexican’s Spanish wasn’t great but I could make out that they were getting sick after drinking our beer

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I was saving this speech for when Bobby got beat up but him and his darn prop comedy. *sigh* Every time someone starts picking on him he sticks a french fry up his nose and makes a new friend.”

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

an exterminator is like a garbage man crossed with a scientist. The best of both worlds.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

From my experience with my now almost completed full watch/rewatch, season 11 kind of sucks, but literally everything else, both before and after, is better.

That being said, and it's been mentioned many times itt, a bad King of the Hill episode is still usually better than most other shows, so it only really falters by the standard set by the rest of the show.

Season 10 has Peggy accidentally committing chemical warfare and Tartuffe the spry wonder dog.

Story checks out

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Watching three coaches and a Bobby. Lol that boomhauers secret quarterback code is just him plainly saying in front of the other team what the play will be

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I accept this on behalf of everyone who has fallen out of a plane and lived to win her third straight substitute teacher of the year award!!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I told you about the time I put on the giant pair of khakis and pretended I was tiny! I was very upfront about this!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Didn’t realize Hank having to sit with strangers for a meatloaf sandwich plotline was a season 13 one. For some reason that and the heat waver one always stuck in my mind very firmly for late season plots

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Hank trying to eat a meatloaf sandwich in peace isn't even the A plot of that episode. It's the goofy plot about Peggy and Bobby trend chasing with the 'cool' mom.

Hank getting mad about the policies of a restaurant nobody’s forcing him to go to should have been the only plot of the episode.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

thanks to Hulu (rare I say that) I am going through King of the Hill which I have barely watched in two decades. it was not a favorite as a kid. the groundedness and under-stated humor were probably the reason, nevertheless if it was on TV I watched it.

as I began two questions were on my mind: will it connect better as an adult? will it bring back warm and fuzzy memories of pre-9/11 era?

my thoughts on the first seven or so eps:

- pilot was okayish. love the FIAT joke. standard "son pranks his father" stuff.
- uh oh. some precursors to our current hellworld: parent backlash against public schools; Dale calling in threats to teachers hits a bit differently than it did in 1997! lots of Dale conspiracy stuff such as global warming, black helicopters, and eugenics/population control in the government
- the best imo out of this first batch is when Luana and her boyfriend break-up. Hank is kind of a jerk but in the end caves and has heart. a good character episode.
- not getting the "Peggy is awful" stuff that some mentioned ITT yet

Peggy is the funniest character in the show because there are a million of her in real life which is also the exact reason Peggy haters hate her.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

GolfHole posted:

i teach a professional sales course to executives that i modelled from the episode "grillstravaganza"

This poster probably makes six figures watching king of the hill and discussing it. A role model to us all

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

"Bobby they do not give awards for being a sweet, sweet boy. But they should. And the have. I just did."

"That's right McMaynerberry. Brother running with a torch and not a drat thing you can do about it!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 8, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Bluegrass is always greener is such a great episode. Connie bonding with everyone, , Bobby selling a joke to Yakov, Tim Wu's complicated relationship with Coca-Cola.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Me hearing Tim Woo hurt his arm in a coca cola machine: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me remembering Tim Woo hates coca-cola: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't stop thinking about this picture. Seriously, I think Cotton might look the friendliest of this bunch. The other three it's a race to see which one would cut your throat first. Did we ever see Bill's dad other than this? Bug and even Boomhauer weren't remotely like this when we saw them later

No the only remaining male relative of Bill’s is Gilbert.

Bills dad is mentioned semi-regularly though and he was apparently even more abusive than cotton

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Bill usually comes across as a harmless sadsack but then I got "ok this guy could actually shoot up a mall" vibe in the tornado episode when he is demanding respect in his uniform lol

Bill is the type to go mad with power anytime he’s granted even the smallest amount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Bill fucks more than anyone in the show not named Boomhauer.

They have a guy whose two big character traits are

Native American

Fucks