Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Answer the question.

What question do you think you're answering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I sense somebody is going to attempt to join me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

its a shame they all are as well. what a miserable state the PLP is in

Do you think Labour would be better off without MPs?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Answer this question Pissflaps.

Sure. I don't want to pick the winning side without regard for policy. I want a Labour government protecting and growing our public services, not a Tory government destroying them.

(...you realise Darth Walrus didn't direct that question at me, right?)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

No i think labour would be better off with good, capable MP's

In what way do you find labour MPs bad and incapable?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

the main one being their inability to run a candidate capable of beating some no hoper like corbyn

Anything that doesn't centre on the Labour Party leadership?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That he wouldn't campaign on a left wing platform even if it was the only way to win.

What's wrong with him saying that? He's a centre left politician.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

Two failed general elections?

But each mp won their seat?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I don't understand this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

The centrists in the party lost both the 2010 and 2015 elections; that doesn't mean they should've suddenly become UKIP to try and win support. Likewise, the Corbynite Labour party shouldn't become centrists despite being obliterated in the polls right now.

I don't think anybody expects 'Corbynite labour' to become centrists, just to recognise that they're an existential threat to the Labour Party as a parliamentary force.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

Bollocks, the major existential threat is the massive swing to the right of pretty much all political discourse in the Western world. A centrist candidate would be absolutely hosed.

Why would a party closer to the right be more hosed than one further removed from it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Then why should anyone on the same position on the political spectrum as Corbyn bother? In fact why should anyone left of centre bother with British politics at all? You seem to think a working party exists to do either of two things: 1) Become centrist 2) Just do whatever's popular right now gently caress everything??

I believe there already exists political parties that are further left than Labour traditionally is. They're fringe parties that don't perform very well at elections. The problem is that labour is being turned into one of them.

quote:

Here's a question. If Corbyn went hard right, said throw all the immigrants out, cut taxes, cut welfare, said England was the best country ever and everyone else are big bellends and not good, just basically became a giant not-quite-fascist populist and then won the 2020 GE. Would you say this was an effective Corbyn? Would you like to see the Labour party do this in order to win?

This is bizarre. I'm not waiting on some breathless hyperbolic scenario. I want labour to return to being a completely run, left of centre alternative to the Tories. Corbyn is unable to deliver this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

Centrist Labour would be hosed, Corbynite Labour is hosed. Neither is going to win an election in 2020.

I think a centrist labour would be in a better position to capture disillusioned Tory voters.

There's no guarantee of victory, but right now labour are guaranteed defeat.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

We pretty solidly disagree on this - disillusioned Tory voters tend to vote Lib Dem.

Well, right now they would. That's the problem.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

But I thought Corbyn only got elected leader by people who voted Lib-Dem in 2010?

They didn't vote for the lib dems: they voted for Clegg.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TheRat posted:

Those neolib cunts keep singing "things can only get better". If that was actually true, maybe things would get better?

Things did get better. A lot better.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, when someone's been hovering above your bed with cheeks spread going URGGGHGHGHG I'm not sure the prudent response is to say "well they haven't poo poo it yet, let's see where this goes..."

Do you say URGGGHGHGHG when you're about to have a poo?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

This is cool.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Didnt McDonnell commit to that cross Party fiscal policy agreement thing?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Come back Big Tone. Time to put some stick about.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Emotions are running high in the Centre Left Megathread.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

Ant and Dec.

'Who?' -Jeremy Corbyn

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Looks like the Corbyn movie is already out ?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Speaking of Tory former prime minister's, John Major is better at challenging the Tories than Labour

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/836275766715367424

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

Always funny to see coddled first-worlders deal with babby's first crisis. You're in for some fun times, oh boy you are.

I don't think it's cool of you to boast about how much you're earning thanks to being in this country, then laugh at our misfortune for having made an economically harmful democratic decision.

Frankly, it's rude.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mister Adequate posted:

I thought you were the anime capital? How'd you claim my video game capital title off me? :colbert:

Sounds like he's seized all the means of preventing reproduction.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mister Adequate posted:

And nothing is as awful, in the eyes of the middle class, as rudeness!

I'm working class.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

cargohills posted:

important question here lads: does average household income mean total for the whole household or income per person?

I feel that the answer is within your question.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't feel jealous of people that earn more than me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TomViolence posted:

In what way is giving up all your money on an individual basis actually going to tangibly help, though? At best it'll maybe feed a few more people for a week.

Depends what you do with the money. Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Give that man a fishing rod? He can catch fish forever. It's what I've always thought anyway.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's not a con, though.

What do you mean?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Our living ex prime ministers are a lot better than the current one or her potential replacements.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Paxman posted:

Lady Hayter being a shadow minister for exiting the European Union, a Labour official spokesperson on this topic.

Hayters gonna Hayt.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

Louise Mensch is Pissplaps?

I always admit when I'm wrong.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

Would you care to provide an example of this?

Here you go bud

Pissflaps posted:

Yes you're right sorry I meant renting out a room rather than subletting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

Thats a clarification, not an admission of being out and out wrong.

I used the wrong term. It was pointed out to me, I apologised and corrected myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Also wow did I call Copeland wrong

Pissflaps posted:

Agreed. It's unthinkable that Labour could lose either of them. If they did it would be a disaster.

Pissflaps posted:

It's inconceivable that the opposition could lose a by election to the government. It hasn't happened for something like forty years.

Corbyn isn't that toxic, is he?

Pissflaps posted:

I think Stoke is in the bag for Labour. Copeland is the more interesting contest.

Though I don't expect labour to lose there either of course.

Just call me Mystic Meg on this though:

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah if Labour does lose either seat there's no way Team Corbyn will take responsibility, and people like you won't expect him to.

• Locked thread