Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What does the hummingbird do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just bought a physical copy of Mafia III today because it was on sale on Amazon for $20

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

When you think about it, there's not much difference between shooting pictures with a camera, and shooting bullets with a gun. I'd pay for a Call of Duty game where you're a journalist in Syria or some made up country that really is Syria.

Time Magazine had a piece where they had a war photographer play Last of Us and use the photo mode

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuvBqRJDYYA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think I've set foot in a chain game shop in over fifteen years. If you are going to go brick and mortar you may as well try to support locally-owned business

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It took me 5 hours and 250 deaths to beat the Nioh Last Chance demo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

jon blow is the kinda guy who should just make his one game every 3-4 years and not share his weirdo shut in puzzle designer's perspective on human stuff

Great. Yeah I was defending The Witness from people saying it had a condescending regressive agenda by pointing to his lack of public political discourse, so of course he has to mansplain like a douchebag

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I think the original Sonic has the correct proportions for a kid's cartoon character. That elongation is basically Skinny Mario except officially sanctioned by the creators

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

consumer watchdog alert: invictus is flush with hat baron cash

I was going to say that any post by the captain on boxes should have a fiduciary rule style disclaimer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bethesda is the originator of the contemporary DLC model as we know it today

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh man, Mafia III... the controls are super mushy, it doesn't seem that well-optimized, the dead time to reload a checkpoint is pretty long, you can't tab through dialogue, there's no fast travel, and it has a dumb lockpicking minigame.

On the other hand, the characters are pretty good and I am dressed up as a Black Panther

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I literally use EZ mode for my taxes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yes, the fastest path from the lantern to Papa G is through the shortcut gate and past the trolls to the elevator. I spent a lot of time farming blood vials and practicing my parries on those trolls too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Who's laughing now, Father Gascoigne, huh? Who's laughing now?! Not you, cause you're dead!

(Actually Gascoigne has a real sad story so I wouldn't gloat)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ekster posted:

Never understood the appeal of MMOs personally, it's like single player games except with worse gameplay and I personally find random gamers to be some of the worst people to socialize with on the planet. I understand that it can be fun to play with friends or maybe if you find a nice guild or something but to be fair almost anything is fun with friends.

My two favorite MMOs were games that I played because of their story and worldbuilding elements, mostly in spite of their MMO gameplay

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My copy of No Man's Sky just came in, looking forward to it!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Real sad story, huh? Well what about the mom that lies dead near him on that roof?

What about the rights of that little girl?

I mean, that's why it's a sad story, it's classical tragedy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I feel like lives as a mechanic are obsolete at this point

Free to play games have made them relevant again, in the way they were for the arcade era

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Cathedral Ward is way easier than Central Yharnam and the Aqueduct so far, if only because the enemies are so spaced apart. Fighting one dude at a time is so much better than dealing with a crowd. I only died once finding the next lantern.

I just keep cracking the Insight skulls, figuring there's no reason not to. I don't see anything to spend it on but Father Gascoigne gear, so I'm going to wait.

Some weird purple portal appeared early in the level and didn't seem to do anything? Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

The higher your Insight, the more challenging some enemies become.

And that portal, oh man... let's just say that I and other players have had different experiences with that portal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Was getting any sort of game to work on Windows 3.1/MS-DOS through Windows 95 as frustrating as I remember it being?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

phourniner posted:

Just a quick solution for you gaming headset people, the HyperX Cloud II's are what I use, and have been for a year now. I swear by them. They're insanely comfortable (and this is coming from someone whose tried a ton of headsets and have had to throw them off after an hour's use because my ears were aching). I have worn these all day without a single problem. They're closed ear, so keep in mind it's hard to hear anything outside of whatever you're listening to if it's moderately loud, but they deliver great sound (with 7.1 Surround Sound) and the mic is very decent. Highly recommend.

I purchased the HyperX Cloud I since I wasn't looking for 7.1 Surround, and those are quite good too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Looper posted:

please enjoy public anime, but please also shower regularly

For a while I got really into Magic the Gathering online to the point that I thought, hey there is a local event at my nearby game shop, maybe I should go.

The smell there was only slightly better than when I was standing at the bus stop beside actual homeless people. It basically made me completely reconsider the worth of spending my time playing Magic at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nier is probably going to be better than Breath of the Wild

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I look forward to playing Breath of the Wild when I buy a discounted Switch at the end of November 2018, it's one of the things forcing me to be naively optimistic about our current political climate

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 8, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was hoping that Nioh was going to come in today. :sigh: Hopefully tomorrow. I guess that gives me time to Mafia III

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know, I can't really picture Mariachi Grey Fox, or "The Memes" Grey Fox, or "Time for Jack... to let 'er rip!" Grey Fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pLDrZQTf8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Revengeance is the best Metal Gear story because it just has all the Kojima stuff that is over-the-top, earnest, and goofy as gently caress without all the attempts at seriousness. Grey Fox was a loving dour-rear end character and I can't picture him fighting Make America Great Again while hard-charging metal with super on-the-nose lyrics plays, but Raiden is perfect for that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What was the smell like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember that video games are murder simulators, if you fear something in real life you can kill it in a game with no actual danger to yourself!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ekster posted:

Princess Maker teaches gamers all they need to know about parenting.

Uh maybe go with Long Live the Queen instead

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why are people paying 60 dollars for games when the Amazon/Steam pre-order discounts bring it down to around 48 in almost all cases

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

From what I gather Canadians love preordering games because it is cheaper than on release as well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't understand it either, but I see posts in the PS4 thread where people are pre-ordering 5 or 6 games at the same time, many months in advance, and when people ask why they're doing that, they tell people they're Canadian

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Canadians are paid only in coinage so if they don't spend it soon it becomes hard to carry around.

When I was in Canada, in restaurants they could swipe your card at the table and servers also were able to make change for cash payments right then and there. It was like living in an alternate, better universe

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is New Donk City the capital of Donkey Kong Country? Where did all the humans come from

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

It would perhaps be more accurate to say I don't like the single player content in most fighting games because that doesn't sound terribly interesting either.

Like the last time I cared about a fighting game was MK9's story mode, and before that like.. Soul Calibur III (which instantly got on my poo poo list when it corrupted my save file after hours of playtime).

Injustice had a lot of great single player content and Injustice 2 will probably have even more

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yeah but you'd be playing Injustice.

MKX looked like it had some good stuff but I wasn't really into the gore so I am looking forward to Injustice 2 :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I haven't played MK in years so I'm probably not the best authority to comment upon this but what I did see of MKX made me kind of sick to my stomach.

Maybe it's a sign I'm becoming an old because the violence in the first Mortal Kombats and GTA, I wouldn't even bat an eye. But the modern ones just creep me out with their body-horror obsession with the moment someone goes from being a person to a bag of flesh, which is like every fatality and x-ray move in that game. Like hell, I'm playing Nioh where I'm decapitating fools every thirty seconds, and that's all right. But the way Mortal Kombat lingers on that moment between screaming in existential pain to nothingness is really unpalatable.

CJacobs posted:

It would stand a chance of pulling that off if it were not for Austin Walker who is unable to have fun doing anything without also saying "but maybe.... this is bad...."

You mean Austin Walker who just played Crackdown and Phantom Dust for hours yesterday shooting the poo poo, Austin Walker who wrote a review of a mixtape that a PR person accidentally sent to him, or Austin Walker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdztxrIlTKE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, if you have a problem when people talk about social issues with regard to, say, Battlefield Hardline, or Mafia III, or Ghost Recon, I don't think the problem is with Austin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I don't have a problem with it, it's just not what I like to read in my free time. Games like Mafia 3 obviously want you to think about that stuff and Austin has decided that is his niche. What makes Waypoint bad to me is that they pair this introspection on society at large with "how would pokemon gently caress", two things that cannot coexist and be taken seriously imo

I hope the people in your life are not either all serious or all frivolous. No one sets out saying "I am going to be a serious political theorist and will never talk about anything fun again"

CJacobs posted:

Maybe I should have said "His articles about video games are way too socio-political for me" then because I wasn't trying to imply that it's bad to do so like people think I am

You literally said

CJacobs posted:

Waypoint is really bad.

• Locked thread