Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Anyone played Fire Emblem Heroes yet? I just got a notification on my phone that it's out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I was more meaning some kind of official product, not a romhack, if possible.

Azure Dreams?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just got through a week from hell, but fortunately I've had Dragon Quest 5 to get me through it.
:rip: Pankraz, you were kind of a lovely dad but you didn't deserve to go out like you did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

Heh I wonder how long it took NoJ to look up who they're named after

I still feel like they blew it with the naming by the lack of an Alice Koopa

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

its really cool. i was laughing so hard the main character says some amazing poo poo to his teacher
it got some mediocre scores for being limited in scope but its perfect if you loved rcr. only thing missing is the sauna scenes

It's got some neat callbacks that most US players won't get, like that all your AI companions are the level bosses from the first Kunio game, because the first game came to the US as Renegade and all the graphics and sprites were done over to make it a Warriors knockoff.

The lack of scope is a legit issue though, it's the main reason I have no desire to play it again after having finished it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked everything about RCR EX except for the box art

e:

Why would they do this? I thought the age of lovely Americanized box art died with the N64 and PS1, or at least the PS2.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There was a Capcom arcade game of it 20 years ago. I never saw it in the wild but I did play the PS1 port and it was pretty bad.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 8, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm playing Dragon Quest 5 and it's wife time. Who do I pick? My heart says Bianca but I respect Debora's give-no-fucks attitude.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I am worried about the upcoming castlevania series because last I heard Warren Ellis had replaced the whip with a sword, so there would be zero point to any of it.

There's no whip in SOTN (excepting Richter mode) and that's like the most popular game in the series.

Don't be mistaken, there is no point to any of it, just that's not the reason why.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Thanks gamestop

Randomly selected for the chance to pre-order? :lol::lol:

In Training posted:

Im the opposite, Im kind of completely fine with gore 99% of the time but MKX was the most vile and joyless game Ive ever played.

That has less to do with the gore and more to do with the fact that MKX is just a pretty bad game.
I wasn't crazy about Injustice 1 though myself, I found it just as joyless to play.
The only thing I really remember from it is the shameless minor-key-shifted ripoff of Blue Rondo a la Turk they had in most of the cutscenes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't get into any of the NRS fighting games

There's something really unsatisfying about them and I don't know what it is

I think it's the weird lovely way combos work, where you don't time them progressively with your character's animations but instead you have to mash in all the buttons at the beginning of the combo.
That's what turns me off about them, anyway. It wasn't so bad in MK9 where you could still do decent combos just by stringing moves together like in the older games, but MKX and Injustice seemed to lean heavier on the dial-a-combo type poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Corporate Personhood isn't enough, we need Corporate Nationhood.

This is the first time I think I've actively felt my skin crawl while reading something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Better the phone dad than Porky's Dad.

So is the rear end in a top hat kid supposed to be named Porky and not Pokey? It didn't occur to me until I was watching my kids play that story mode on the Wii Smash Bros and it was spelled that way there, but it makes sense. Wonder why they didn't bother changing that for the VC version of Earthbound, I guess they figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I haven't played Mother 3 yet (played a little like 10 years ago when the translation came out but then I fell off for some reason) but I'm going to after I finish DQ5, since I finally finished Earthbound for the first time over Christmas. I really hope I get to kick his rear end.

Problem Sleuth posted:

are the android versions of the dragon quest games any good?

They're pretty much the best versions you can get, the first 6 at least. 4-6 are ports of the DS versions, the touch controls are kind of obnoxious for walking around and I wish there was a controller / widescreen option but it balances out by being more convenient to start up and play a little / grind some levels in short bursts. Also it has party chat, which I think I heard they don't have in the English DS versions?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 13, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kinda wish I hadn't bought half of those in previous humble bundles, now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I said come in! posted:

There was also that Fire Emblem game on 3DS where you had to buy multiple copies of the game to get the full single player.

This is dumber than complaining that you have to buy multiple copies of Pokemon to get the full pokedex.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

My wife and I own about a dozen Pop! figures, some of them are quite cute and cool. Her favorite is this fellow

You seem proud of this fact and I have no idea why

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Oh I actually forgot about a good webcomic one of my ex's turned me onto: Templar, Arizona. I dunno if it's still any good but I remember liking it quite a bit

iirc that one is from former(?) goon Darth Versace. I don't really keep up with webcomics but I check in on her stuff once in a while and it's usually pretty good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

plz dont pull out posted:

Speaking of humor not landing, I watched my roommate play the Conker's Bad Fur Day remake for the Xbox this afternoon and boy did that game not age well. Like it isn't funny and the platforming seemed terrible. Like top to bottom it just doesn't work.

Yeah, the game leans entirely on the edgy "this ain't your daddy's Nintendo game!" adult content, that's basically what all the ads were pushing at the time as well. I played it last in like 2002 and even then the actual gameplay was terrible. Even more so when you get to the already tired Matrix and Saving Private Ryan parodies that turn the game into a third person shooter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I like when games do that, it keeps the world from feeling like a glorified corridor. For example the Mario and Luigi games are very bad at not feeling that way.

I'm still playing through dragon quest 5 and the amount of party chat dialogue you can get after talking to almost every single npc is astounding.

credburn posted:

This makes me so happy. I really thought I was the only one seeing this and was once again the only person upset about something everyone else seems either oblivious to or entirely okay with.

I would love to see the making of a YouTube video. Like, do they write a script? Do they fill it with little notes, like "Cut here. Cut here. Cut here." every other line or so? Or do they just go through the video and randomly cut poo poo apart?

I think you're giving them way too much credit if you think that much (or any) pre planning goes into a YouTuber video. Their video editing abilities are almost always atrocious, but the standards of their viewers are probably equally low so it works out for them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 17, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

Maybe we can finally hammer out the definitive, objective list of the best final fantasy games of all time. I think I'll make the one safe choice and put Final Fantasy III DS at the bottom of the list. I look forward to the constructive and well-reasoned arguments the thread has for the other titles while I go elsewhere and wait for this to die down.

FF3DS is not at the bottom, but that's because the original FF3j and any version of FF2j are below it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Finished DQ5 tonight. Final boss was kind of boring and disappointing compared to the insane DQ4 one, I wasn't sure there wasn't some final final boss about to pop out until the credits started rolling.
Think I might take on Mother 3 next.

This can't be real, right? This has to be a parody.

*googles it*

welp

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 18, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Man I really wish that Scott Pilgrim game wasn't awful, the pixel art is so charming.

It wasn't BAD, it was just kind of repetitive and forgettable, and gives you little rain to want to come back to it once you've finished the game. And also weirdly more of a Castle Crashers knockoff than RCR, despite the source material.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maybe it was better multiplayer. I only ever played it with my wife, it seemed like it was definitely balanced toward playing with four people for some reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr. Driller owns
Knowing that he is Dig Dug's son is one of my proudest bits of knowledge.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

codenameFANGIO posted:

Dig Dug has a really depressing character arc where he gets divorced and overshadowed by his son and it's loving hilarious

lmao, seriously? I need a link or something to this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm pretty good at games in general, but then I see the insane poo poo people pull off nowadays with games I could consider myself good at and suddenly my frame of reference goes out the bloody window.

:same: I have it for the GC, PS2, the PS3 HD version and the latest PC version. I also finished it on a friend's Wii.

Also speaking of DOOM , here it is running on... a Porsche 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMpNA86e8Q

You die in the game, you die for real.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

Gamer shame: I have never played Ys and I know almost nothing about it other than it's a cool fast-paced action-RPG. Is there a best one to start with on PC?

If you want classic Ys bumping-into-monsters style action, then Ys 1+2 Chronicles.
If you want more modern action-RPG style action that's kinda like a top-down Castlevania, then Ys Origin. Then Ys 1+2 Chronicles after that, since Origin is a prequel and everyone should play Ys 1+2 imo. Just keep in mind that they are very different games gameplay-wise.

Some people will tell you Oath in Felghana, which is a remake of Ys 3, but I never really liked either version of that game. The original was a side-scroller that was a Zelda 2-esque break from the style of 1+2, and the remake is similar to Origin but not as polished because it came out a few years previous. I won't say you shouldn't play it, but I would temper your expectations on that one.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 24, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Origins is also super badly balanced by comparison and you can't even fight the final boss unless you play the game twice.

Used to be worse though, used to have to play as Hugo before you could play as Thor :gonk:

Oath got some rough spots but it's a LOT better overall.

Who is Thor? Are you talking about Toal?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

I literally could not understand how to properly bump enemies in Ys 1. I spend like 10 min dying to the first enemies and gave up lol. Origins owns though.

The DS ports that came out in like 2008 added an attack button instead of bumping. I don't think it really helped though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I finally got around to playing AM2R this week and it was good but it felt more like a Super Metroid rom hack than Metroid 2, especially since at least half of the game was new content. So I remembered that I had the original Metroid 2 on my 3DS, decided to give that a play after finishing AM2R, and... wow, that game miserably fails the test of time. Entire areas that are copy-pastes of other areas to the point where I thought I'd gone the wrong direction multiple times, random screeching noises masquerading as what I assume is supposed to be "ambient sound," the same two awful music tracks playing over and over... somehow this was all acceptable to me when I played the poo poo out of it on my Gameboy as a kid. Maybe the novelty of A Portable Metroid Game was what made it tolerable.

Lurdiak posted:

Ahahaha if you increase your max health when it's at 255 in RCRU it wraps back around to zero.

You keep talking about this game, but I looked it up and it just looks like some kind of lovely fangame that is being sold for money for some reason. Is there a reason anyone should care about it?

• Locked thread