Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

What's going on with No Man's Sky these days

Nothing since December, it's a 2016 disappointment for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I guess a lot of game reviewers had their pre-release NDAs lifted from HZD because a whole bunch of 10-15 minute gameplay footage videos have come out in the past couple days. FWIW the basic gameplay loop looks really cool and nothing else I've seen is as egregiously bad as what was in the video, but it's a wait and see kind of thing for me.

Can you link some of these? None of the usual suspects seem to have posted one yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bioshock

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In lieu of a Nioh review, Polygon posted an apology that they haven't been able to get far enough into it to write one.

:gitgud:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chumbler posted:

Will you pay me to write about the maybe one or two games a year I manage to finish?

I'll pay you in brand exposure, sure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

They half are, Japan outlawed one particularly egregious form a few years ago and all the F2P mobile companies hastily patched it out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PS4 Casual

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jack jack

jack jack jack

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Comparing it to Ninja Gaiden makes me want to get it a lot more (wasn't originally going to, too much other stuff lying around/incoming).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

The MGS games all have very unique control schemes that work well but take a long time to get used to and won't translate to any other shooter out there.

True, but the left stick move, right stick look, L2 aim, R2 fire is more or less universal and getting used to that will translate easily.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

I never finished SUPERHOT. Wonder if I should

You should, it's not long but does some imaginative stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

This statement is full of truthiness.

Holy poo poo, "truthiness" is a real word, according to my spellchecker.

Not only is truthiness in the dictionary now, it was 2006's Word of the Year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

why would anyone want to own those awful funko pop things

Someone knew what pop culture you're into and ran out of time to get a present

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 16, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Majora's Mask is the best, everyone knows that now.

Everyone's known that since 2000

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally, a cat that hates both mondays and lasagna

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I tried Catlateral Damage in VR and knocked over more stuff in real life :/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I have at one point had 5 stars on Expert on every song in every one of these games because they are just so drat fun and unique. I got the 5 gold stars (100%) on every song in Guitar Hero 2 and I was very proud of myself. The game celebrates this feat by giving you a guitar that's a log and tells you that they hope the log guitar will make up for all the friends you have lost.

I loved that in the original Guitar Hero, after you beat the campaign, the hint on the next loading screen you see tells you to buy a real guitar.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

Kerbal Space Program. It's less a game than a toybox, but it's amazing how rewarding it can be to perform a whole mission, stretching over hours of real time and millions of miles, because you correctly planned and constructed the perfect vehicle for it. I didn't stop playing it until I'd landed an astronaut and returned them home from every celestial body in the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The stealth systems in 4 are the best change they made and every time I was forced into combat felt like a failure, either on my part or the game's.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only good romance options are in Saint's Row 4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can a game that's not out yet be of the month 🤔

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the games have lengthy vehicle segments, though it's usually on wheels/treads rather than flight. I think they all have splitscreen co-op too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Platinum likes to make their easiest modes basically play the game for you by having the character do context-appropriate combos when you hit buttons at random, you should be fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All this Platinum talk is making me want to play Bayonetta again, assuming the Wii U still works under all that dust.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

playing as a literally nude robot with high heels in revengeance

You played Revengeance wrong because you weren't wearing the mariachi costume for the remainder of the game after unlocking it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

There should be a bit where they power up by taking their heels (limiters) off

Now witness the power of my TRUE FORM

*becomes three inches shorter*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

I think developers should go in the opposite direction and make their characters harder to sexualize. One more reason that games like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls rule, you spend forever crafting your perfect waifu and then the first thing that happens is a dragon tears their chest open and gives them a huge scar or they turn into undead beef jerky.

It was a big mistake to add a warning to the DS2 coffin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

From a games marketing stand point the people that matter are 18-34. You can still be young at heart!

They do notice the audience is aging, hence the sudden surge of games about being a dad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

The best secrets have songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Terry van Feleday posted:

Yo, brief Dark Souls question--

I bought Dark Souls 2 back when it came out and am only now getting to actually play it (my old PC couldn't run it...). My understanding is that the Scholar of the First Sin expansion rebalances the main game in addition to whatever new content it adds. Basically, is it worth upgrading to that one for my first playthrough? I'm not even sure I'll enjoy the game right now, even though I got super into the first one...

SotFS is significantly harder than base DS2, it adds extra monsters and things to make it interesting for people who already played it to death, so there's that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I knew GH2 was good when I played the Spinal Tap song and the drummer exploded at the end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

an actual dog posted:

How about Shadow of Mordor 2. Was that so hard?

Shad2 of Mordor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shadow of More-dor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thehoodie posted:

What's a good game to play on my (non-gaming) laptop? Looking for something I can play for a 30 minute break every day or so. I have FTL, Dungeon of the Endless, and Dungeons of Dredmor which I like, but looking for something new.

The Binding of Isaac

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think the music is in the original but it doesn't have overlayed memes or streamer squawking so it's still in the top ranks of youtube gaming videos.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cardboard Box A posted:

A completely dead serious Bulletstorm trailer is a weird thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rQC17n07Q

So weird it's practically false advertising. The game isn't about tragic histories and sci-fi melodrama, it's about cursing a blue streak while earning 1000 points for kicking a guy in the rear end so hard he flies into a barrel and explodes. Maybe they think they can get the COD crowd's attention by editing it like this?

And Duke Nukem just doesn't sound right without that classic 8-bit/11khz fidelity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the guy was willing to break into your house why wouldn't he just break back out of your house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

I thought the Duke thing was gonna be a standalone gag mission, but holy crap they recorded the entire campaign with him. What a bizarre thing to do.

It's a big reason they justify charging $50 for it, but no one asked them to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was going to agree, but I looked it up and that was the same year as Deus Ex HR and Portal 2. And Duke Nukem Forever, lol.

• Locked thread