Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Finally decided to learn some information about my state representative and, well, we're off to a great start.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/no-felony-charge-brooklyn-pol-accused-beating-son-article-1.2942525

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's a reason why i called her "Bad Momma Richardson" in a previous post, also i hinted at that in the OP

for her part, her big issue is neighborhood affordability and won the special election because she made that the central issue, plus her main challenger, Shirley Patterson, got busted for misusing campaign funds a few months later. she also went to a meeting cohosted by DSA about dealing with a city-owned building being turned into mostly unaffordable condos and thanked them for hosting it. i'd wager most Democrats wouldn't be caught dead at anything hosted by them. so Richardson's far better on the issues than she is as a parent

also, here's a list of the times my state senator has lost his poo poo

Thanks for clearing that up.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mrmcd posted:

Just wait for the fracking chemicals to slowly poison you to death.

I can't actually remember if we banned fracking or not, I just assume everyone upstate are Trump voters angry liberals won't let them drink poison water.

We banned fracking, but that doesn't mean we can't have pipelines going throught the state. Not even within throwing distance of a rundown nuclear power facility.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

goose willis posted:

The DNC just picked Tom Perez so there goes the DNC

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm starting to think New York Dems aren't actually good.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/836271832185593856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

goose willis posted:

What if the state Republicans could be pushed into being less lovely and then the state Democrats will have to face real competition for once

I mean it's not like the generic party Democrats we get are any different from centrist Republicans anyway

:ssh:The centrist Republicans have been steadily defecting to the Democrats since at least the 90s.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It would work as a way to sneak in a means to regulate and track guns, but since we have a Republican majority it's going lead to a national stand your ground law.

Edit:
Should note that

Panzeh posted:

I think guns are good because they can help in a revolutionary struggle.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
We really need to up our fash bashing game.

https://twitter.com/splcenter/status/837674796959875073

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

No charges for deblasio. Mayoral race gonna be boring now.

IDK, there's still a non-zero chance of Hillary running.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The president couldn't close a prison with less than 250 prisoners, there's no chance in hell that de Blasio will be able to close one with about 10,000.

That said, I hope I'm proven wrong.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm currently working with Greenpeace on a campaign to get a plastic bag ban in New York City, and the wider state if possible. We're trying to figure out the best means to implement it (outright ban, a tax on it's use, etc.) and I'd love to get y'alls thoughts on what it should be and how it could be done. I know it's a bit more of a vanity initiative compared to other issues, but it's meant to get a local victory under our belt. Plus, the city alone uses 10 billion plastic bags anually, compared to 100 billion nationwide.

I'm personally torn between the tax and outright ban. The ban would be easier to sell and harder revoke, though the revenue from the tax could be directed towards a seperate initiative that directly benefits the population.

Just to put it out there: Paper bags will still be in use. This is really only directed towards the single use plastic bags you get at stores.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

theflyingexecutive posted:

don't call it a ban and don't call it a tax, especially while plastic bags are still ubiquitous. ffs, don't even call it a tax internally. incentivize reusable bags and plastic bag return and get people used to the alternative. Spend the thousands of dollars you would loving lobbying and give out reusable bags (a dime apiece in bulk) and/or have plastic bag return/recycling so the can collectors can take care of it

We really don't have much of a budget to work with. Everyone's paying out of pocket for anything that we do since the national office is focused on getting state attorney generals to open a case against Exxon for burying evidence about climate change, which New York has already joined. We have been giving out reuseable bags the sanitation department have donated to us (they're in favor of the ban since plastic bags are one of the most difficult forms of waste to manage, including when they're recycled). Besides, both the tax and ban have been effective when implemented, so I don't see a reason to shy away from it. Greenpeace really isn't a slow reform type organization anyway.

You are right about plastic bags being reused is a major misconception. If you keep track of how many of them are just floating in the breeze when you walk around, you can see how obscenely common they are. New York may be a liberal city, but it sure as poo poo isn't for enviromental reasons.

Edit:
Also, we do recognize that paper and cotton tote are less enviromentally friendly to produce, but the forner is far easier to recycle while the latter is reused enough to offset the difference.

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Apr 11, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GlyphGryph posted:

I've never understood plastic bag bans. It just means I have to buy my plastic bags separately instead. I guess it prevents the assholes letting their bags go flying outside though so in that way it's not bad. That's some pretty crazy numbers for NYC though, how do they actually use 10% of the nations plastic bags?

Apart from the population size, consider the amount of times people here order delivery or are given a plastic bag when buying one or two items.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

theflyingexecutive posted:

they cost more (an unbearable burden on every single retail outlet, they will say), are weaker, feel different/are louder (remember biodegradable sunchips bags?), people won't actually know to recycle them (we switched to single stream because people don't know/care how to separate recyclables, they can't biodegrade in normal compost. they're basically the clean coal of biodegradables

I legitimately did not know that, learn something knew eveyday.

Anyways, even assuming there were good biodegradable psuedo-plastic bags, the best way to insentivise businesses to switch would be to implement a tax on plastic bags. Given that, as it'a been pointed out, plastic bags are ubiquitous in New York, the only way we can change that behavior is either by making it too much of an inconvience or just getting rid of them outright.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ol Standard Retard posted:

A friend's coworkers found a body in the Hudson today.

It was a State Court of Appeals judge.

So far no evidence of foul play but... yeah.

So what case was this retaliation for?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

so is alex jones or some other crank declaring war on judges? like, more than there's been over the past couple decades?

Alex Jones is too busy trying to legally prove he doesn't really believe lizardpeople are trying to make everyone into gay autists.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

Do you mean the city or the governmental goings on?

Because if you mean the former, Albany is less of a shithole by a mile. It's a pretty okay college town when you get down to it, while Trenton is just a post-industrial shithole.

If you mean the latter, pretty sure the sheer number of convicts that have been booted out of our legislature in the past few years gives NY the current title, though it's far from safe, and Jersey had quite a championship run.

But who has more criminals that are still in the state legislator?

All I know is that the answer won't surprise me.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

when i read the first clause i thought this was going to be about michael bloomberg's wife pushing charter schools or something

:cawg:

Yeah, a rich white lady pushing for charter schools is going to get in trouble.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/steenfox/status/861030537066029056

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

Is there an acceptable candidate in the NJ Democratic primary for governor?

Don't know who's running, but no.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Exactly and for "some reason" he pushes a very Right Wing Agenda.

I hate myself just a bit every time I see him make the news for being so scared of the Republican in the last election that, I voted for him

This is why the left needs to just embrace death

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cuomo probably thinks that disgusting degenerates use the subways and that's why he doesn't give a poo poo about them. he has the worst case of westchester mentality i've ever seen. ironic given that his greasy rear end is from queens, though probably the part that's basically nassau

I'm 100% certain he thinks of the subway as a fun novelty for tourists and "adventurous" rich assholes; that's why they don't have consistent service outside of Manhattan and the first couple of stops in Brooklyn.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/875056727103873024

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Grondoth posted:

I know you guys in the capital of finance think that Cuomo is the governor of the Rest of the State, but don't worry. He hasn't done dogshit for us either.

There is no New York outside of the metro area, hth

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/877938055444922369

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Further proof New York deserves to lose it's progressive identity

https://twitter.com/iskandrah/status/879131447906508801

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

So what fresh hell is going to be unleashed on us thanks to him?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

Considering most states are telling Kris "Voter Supression" Kobach to get bent, likely nothing. Mississippi told them to drown themselves in the Gulf, too!

I was more going for that since he did something actually good, we're going to find out he plans on selling off subway stops for commercial or private use.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

logikv9 posted:

Cuomo is going to run as a berniecrat, there was no other reason for his FREE COLLEGE press conference with Bernie attending for some loving stupid reason

He's going to run as the center between the Berniecrats and Neoliberals

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
@NYCAntifa is apparently doxxing local nazis. Kind of hesitant to post the actual tweets for rules reasons.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What do you think would happen if someone that was doxxed by the, no doubt ethical and fact-checked, "antifa" account wasn't actually a nazi?

:shrug:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

So Cuomo takes a billion dollars earmarked for signal infrastructure upgrades and wastes it on other poo poo

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07/07/guess-which-ny-governor-just-took-1-billion-meant-for-mta-subway-signals-and-spent-it-elsewhere/

I'm sure this is de Blasio's vault, somehow

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

don't empty buildings, by the very nature of them having no tenants, bring in no money whatsoever? i guess slumlords and real estate developers have a lot of gently caress you money that they can afford to lose some of it while waiting for a bank or whatever to move in when the price is right and the neighborhood is ready

Could be wrong, but I think it's one of those Producers loopholes where having something that, at least on the books, loses money enables you to make even more of a profit.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/NassauDSA/status/887744044943716354

Schumer and Gillibrand are cosponsors of said bill.

You sometimes have to wonder if zionists are intentionally trying to spread anti-Semitism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So I'm reading the bill summary, and I can't find where it would ban Roger Waters:

If you look at the original law, it's all about reporting foreign government requests for boycott and not complying with them. I guess they're adding international organizations to this list, so an American company would have to report and not comply with requests from international pro-BDS organizations; except some American organizations call for BDS as well (and they're not "engaged in interstate and foreign commerce"), and Roger Waters is not a US person.

Don't know how this will affect Roger Waters (didn't know who he was before this), but the last paragraph effectively allows the government to deny someone access to the international market because they support BDS.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

So did anyone hear about this

http://nydn.us/2uMAGVy

I stopped by the protest yesterday for like 15 minutes, it was pretty heated and they roped in other gentrification issues that are affecting the community. I actually think I can hear them from my apartment.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Did they mention landlords or real estate holding companies?

The mentioned the issues with housing, but they were fairly lay speeches. Mind you, I wasn't there for long and missed most of it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Of loving course he does

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/891871053722660864

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

So The Atlantic has a really tone deaf article about how multiple million dollar condos and luxury apartments are actually good for poor people

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/08/how-luxury-housing-becomes-affordable/535563/?utm_source=atlfb

The exact moment I read "luxury apartments are actually good for poor people" I knew the article was going to be "You can get affordable housing when we're sick of living in the new complexes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I have this nagging feeling that Cuomo and his camp are going to try to make a connection between Cynthia and Richard Nixon. It's an extremely stupid idea and would require a complete detachment from reality to think it could work, which is exactly why I think the Dems would try it.