Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Classical Muzak posted:

I have an iPhone 7 plus and it sucks and I kind of hate it and wish I got a Pixel XL.

*posts that video where the dude opens his new Pixel phone and it's broken out of the box*

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Anroid

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Android
Anroid
An Roid
A Roid
A Hemorrhoid

Android is an engorged blood vessel in your anus, QED

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

how in the gently caress does android in tyool 2017 not handle email autoconfiguration with exchange?

apple figured this poo poo out eight years ago assholes.

Apple doesn't operate a popular email service that they want to protect to help their ad sales business.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
wow, those brand managers and that social media intern sure showed that guy!

"savage af!"

"brutal!"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
caring about the number of nits a mobile screen produces?

sounds pretty... nit picky. 😎

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Anroid

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
pretend i posted that "it's free software" GIF

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

you mean like they said when it launched huh

which is the dumbest loving thing, just BTW

google: "this is our flagship device, so we will support it for a whopping 18 months!"

apple: *still supports the iPhone 5, released in 2012*

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Seems like a problem that could be solved by simply having a constant back button, preferably at the bottom where someone's thumb is rather than at the top of an 18" long phone

And what does that dedicated back button take you back to? To the previous screen in the same app? To the app you were using when you tapped a link that sent you to the current app? The home screen?

Contextual back buttons that are only present when necessary are way better than Android garbage.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ok so I put down my phone for a minute and forget the exact context of the app I'm in when I pick it back up. what does that permanent, contextless back button take me back to?

or, if I'm reading Twitter and tap on a video and it opens in the YouTube app, does tapping the back button take me back to Twitter, to the home screen, or something else (like back to the main screen in the YouTube app)?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ios: if there is nothing to go back to, there is no back button. this includes being at an app's main screen, since only the home button takes you back to the home screen.

if you are a few screens deep in an app, the back button will provide context about what screen you'll go back to, provided the app supplies this information. the back button is always in the same place.

if you tap on a link in App A that takes you to App B (or you tap a notification that pops up and it brings you to App B), the OS places a back button at the top of the screen in App B (in a different place than normal back buttons to prevent confusion) that takes you back to App A, and the button will be labeled "Back to App A".

iOS back buttons say what they're taking you back to, don't do anything unexpected, and disappear when not needed.

in Android the always-present back button does multiple things, and doesn't say which of them it's going to do.

and that's on top of all the other garbage in anroid

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
anroid: so bad even the back buttons will make you carepost

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yes, that sure is a great system that will totally not result in the vast majority of android users being a few versions behind and older device support being dropped quickly. :rolleyes:

e:f,b etc

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

posted unironically in the android thread

they're not wrong.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

that would cause a tearing effect whenever something redraws in a translated offset

the iPad 3 had a slight, but noticeable display lag that was similar to the rolling shutter effect seen on digital cameras. the LCD controller or whatever couldn't update the screen fast enough. so if you scrolled in landscape orientation stuff would get a slight rolling shutter trapezoidal effect like you see when panning quickly on a GoPro. or scrolling in portrait orientation would briefly give a slight squish/stretch effect.

for the anroid phone in question, its possible that rotating the device makes it fall off some optimized, direct framebuffer-to-screen drawing path, and having to go through the window compositor (so the screen contents can be rotated 180 degrees) introduces a noticeable lag. (as if anroid has an optimized drawing path :laugh:)

or maybe it's too slow to handle having to invert the touch input coordinates. :haw:

who cares tho because v:shobon:v anroid is bad v:shobon:v

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

I've used the iPad 3 for years and never experienced that. calling horse poo poo

I own an iPad 3 as well. haven't used it in a while, but I definitely remember it having that problem. was especially noticeable when starting/stopping scrolling quickly or if you dragged your finger up & down real quick to make it abruptly change scrolling direction.

browsing YOSPOS made it more noticeable because of the straight lines on a black background.

edit: i just tested it, and yep, you can see it. open awful.app (or safari), and browse any thread in yospos in portrait orientation. you can easily see text etc. lagging behind the scrolling the further to the right you get, especially if you keep your finger on the screen.

IIRC many people commented on this when the iPad 3 was released. it being so underpowered (even for its time) is why the iPad 4 was released only a few months later.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 30, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

that seems like a great way to score $400 but who the hell has $1700 lying around to buy the phones.

gotta spend money to make money

rule 36 bitch

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

It was a problem on my iPhone too but its so epic how Facebook Messenger keeps randomly showing my text messages even though the option is off.

LOL that Anroid lets apps read your text messages :ughh:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
blïkken blårken blöken blëgen

edit: Anroid is an OS literally meant to protect and extend Google's search/ad revenue. figures HTC would try to get in on it.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 17, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

first the super-sexist keynote with the 50s-style housewives being super excited about the "hover your finger instead of touching the screen" thing on samesung phones, and now this LOL.

Dodoman posted:

The hardware is excellent otherwise , the fingerprint reader is loving quick

i too enjoy having a photo of my fingerprint stored as a BMP in the filesystem, on an operating system known for poor security including letting apps read each other's data.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

my little brother wants a phone but hates apple and rejects the true phone. what anroid can he have and not have it be a pos

in before they all are. I know

LOL is this your brother

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

Sometimes I miss having an iPhone, but, then again, you have to pay $100 per 8GB of space

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

my car is ultramarine

mine's just ordinary imperial guard

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol from this article

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclearpower-cyber-germany-idUSKCN0XN2OS

"oh it's fine, no-one would write an exploit for a wide-open vector like this!"

remember when boeing planes were found to be running the in-flight wifi on the same network the avionics used?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i like janitoring my computer

problem located

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"hmm yess, can't want to get home and install the latest OS updates! i wonder what configuration settings microsoft will silently change? i'll bet they turn the privacy settings off again, can't wait to turn 'em back on! wonder if any of my applications have updates? oh god, a geforce experience update unnnnnnnnnghhhhhhh"

:rolleyes:

edit: or worse, "i know i can squeeze another 2 fps out of my GPU if i just tweak the right graphics settings that i don't actually understand! check out my sick watercooled ~GaMiNG RiG~"

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 5, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

android: where even the good phones render themselves completely unusable

just like there are no "good" police or republicans, there are no "good" android phones

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

sounds like it should be 'launched' into the trash can with the rest of the androids, where it belongs

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

the answer is that android users get bored with consistency and reliability. they prefer to see constant churn of UI changes because it makes upgrades more exciting. they think the OS is an end in and of itself, not a means for getting things done.

we forget now, but there was a time when "widgets" were considered essential components of your android desktop. clock is the only widget that wasn't completely idiotic. hence four clock android screenshots.

describes an android using coworker at my previous non-computer-toucher job almost perfectly. dude was a "computer whiz" type, and liked rediscovering where Microsoft had moved an obscure setting to after each update, etc.

dude thought I was computer illiterate because I didn't know a bunch of dumbass Windows power user poo poo, and was shocked to learn that I was making stupid little iOS apps in my spare time, because "I thought you had to know a lot about computers to do that stuff." like, in his mind knowing where weird windows settings are and a bunch of other computer janitor stuff was Being A Computer Genius.

glad I don't work with you anymore, brandon 🖕

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
don't hover your fingers right over the screen

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

ROFL

how hard is it to put your customers emails in the bcc field, especially when you expect them to reply??? like asking for a drivers license for a phone via email is bad enough but how do you gently caress up just sending the email itself???

or, this idea is pretty "out there", but hear me out, what if their automated e-mail system individually e-mailed customers to make sure this couldn't happen?

edit: and maybe, just maybe, basing e-mail on typewriter-based intra-office memo etiquette was a bad idea (CC and BCC = Carbon Copy and Blind Carbon Copy, respectively).

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 30, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, gently caress whoever changed it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"actually, it's good because it's so easy to fix when it repeatedly breaks!"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
probably the same way people look at highly functional Downs Syndrome sufferers who can cut their own food and live alone "admiringly"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
“good” wired headphones cost more than $100

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

well that makes one number they can dial at least

:drat:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

“We were caught pretending we aren’t constantly recording everything, so now we’re disabling the privacy placebo and telling our products straight up: we’re always listening.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

it is pretty mind blowing seeing people try to defend the various fake depth of field effects as "good"

someone posted this for example:

yeah those columns look great sure.

no surprise that someone who thinks that shot’s garbage composition looks good also thinks its fake bokeh looks good too.