Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

jfc that iris scanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

"This may be an unpopular opinion but I really wish Google would look over these updates more thoroughly. This is a huge issue, not sure how they missed this before releasing Oreo," wrote one Redditor. "It's like teachers telling you to proof read something before submitting it. Now a whole bunch of people have probably used up all their data and some more which comes with extra fees."

i'm the unpopular opinion that google should test the updates before pushing them out

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao, i was scrolling down and was like "drat that's a lot of phones"

and then i got to the paginator and saw i was on page 1 of 14 :hurr:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/google-play-apps-with-as-many-as-2-6m-downloads-added-devices-to-botnet/

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

1. it doesn't look bad, it looks good, we have research that says so
2. there is actually no burn-in/image retention problem
3. We're extending the warranty [but don't count on using it for "differential aging" replacement]

the steve jobs bumper not apology strategy

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lol yeah just impossible to solve

he's right though

that jankiness has been part and parcel for anroid since the beginning and sure people complain but they've been stockholm syndrome'd and keep buying phones regardless so why should the oems give a gently caress enough to fix it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

gamer phone

One can only hope for a Kirk breakdown

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

did anyone mention the kirk razor meltdown recently? no? posting anyway have fun

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842&userid=42391

I did and hope for a repeat

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Father Jack posted:

it's not wrong i guess, but it comes off kinda petulant.

I can literally bike that distance faster lmao

suck it traffichavers

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Father Jack posted:

i have been passed by the same cyclist twice in one journey before.

otoh i saw 2 cyclists get taken out in traffic in separate incidents last week. i'd be a lot more inclined to cycle if there were cycle paths on the route.

say hi to shaggar for me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Father Jack posted:

cycling in general is cool and good and should be encouraged, but i personally am not willing to cycle in dense city traffic going 30+ when i can't keep pace with it and have to be constantly passed by dickheads who would rather risk clipping a cyclist than be delayed by 5 seconds on the way to the next red light.

if you are, then i genuinely wish you good luck with it, but it's a big ol' nope for me.

i've biked over 9k miles this year, granted i bike mostly in the countryside with minimal traffic, but i've kind of just accepted that i'll probably die on a bike so might as well enjoy it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

lol what idiot said this i didnt find it in dyp

maybe it's a legit post

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MausoleumExtremist posted:

You should use a Pixel: it provides the latest software and the purest Android UI. For example, here's a screenshot I took today while turning on my Bluetooth:

Why does your Bluetooth have a slider

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol I'm picturing a world where google has enough penetration with chrome books that they overcome the poo poo performance of their mobile chips by executing the app remotely on your laptop and streaming the UI over a P2P wifi link

go post that in iyg and let's see how many people think that's a great idea with chants of "google take my money"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

how can i watch physical media ityool 2017 on my android tablet

:stare:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
unless it's a skateboard or a snowboard, buying anything named misfit seems like a bad idea

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Android has apps and some manufacturers have built in ambient screen that uses the proximity sensor to determine when you pull it out of your pocket and turns the screen on without the need to press the power button

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i have this its actually dope and useful

yes, i do too

on my iphone

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

sometimes it means the app is poo poo that is to say it generates a new and unique notification for each thing instead of updating the existing notification. ive never seen this personally but ive seen it enough in screenshots to know thats whats happening. like hangouts will never show multiple notifications no matter how many messages you have but i think if you take five screenshots you get five notifications

sometimes (rarely since this is a nougat feature) you can have multiple notifications from the same app because theyre in different notification channels. as an example my podcast app has a notification channel for playback controls and new eps (among others) so its possible to see a notification for a playing podcast while having another for a new ep. each channel is completely configurable from whether and how you want it to display to whether it uses the light or makes sounds

android should ship with an app that just shows train videos and nothing else

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a wrx is my attainable ~dream car~
want one so bad but paying 8k for a turbo is dumb

i'd like a wrx but i won't buy a new car and buying a used wrx is loving laffo because you know that fucker got worked.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

there's an '08 WRX near me for $4800 that needs a clutch. it's tempting, but I'm almost afraid to find out what else has happened to it.

probably the the entire drivetrain is shortly after

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

tag urself

i'm the icon that appears to be the international space station

i...i think... that actually is supposed to be that? i can't think what else it might be

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Im the half- (broken-?) heart.

goes with the tindr icon

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

President Beep posted:

pretty sure you can just google clown pictures op.

Krankenstyle posted:

yea but its funnier when im the clown

so turn your monitor off

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

for violating federal privacy law (lol), why not?

well, mainly because nothing matters any more

absolutely nothing

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

the best part is that entire thing is a mockup, there's nothing functional except the slider

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

President Beep posted:

that’s cool. the series finale of the first run was a real bummer.

i stopped watching that well before the end, but i read a summary of the rest of the series and drat that went off the rails. not as bonkers as seaquest, but yeah.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/12/17228510/android-phone-manufacturers-missed-security-updates-lie

look, your phone security updates are all up to date, trust us, it says so right here

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

they are still arguing over how much ram a phone has and saying if it's not 4 gb they will be returning

i'd have to go look up how much ram is in an iPhone 8, it never occurred to me to give a gently caress when I got it. apparently it has enough because it works very well.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/16/17356904/wonder-gaming-android-smartphone-console-mobile-hybrid-pc-games-platform

someone finally gonna give ouya a run for it's money

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

yeah, if i'm gonna pick an example of what i want my product to be, i'm gonna pick a successful one, not an abject failure

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Perplx posted:

check out his brutalist house, who wouldnt want to come home to this

https://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/james-jannard-beverly-hills-residence-idgroup

looks like a nice place to blow your brains out

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Use Magisk

Supersu is dead and as far as I can tell Magisk is the only way to root any more

It's good because you can do it systemlessly and hide it from other apps. When you install the ad blocker make sure to choose systemless ad blocking in Magisk

username avatar post m-m-m-m-multicombo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

This is a fan, for your smartphone

This is a dock, for your smartphone

i can't find it so just pretend i posted kirk_razor_meltdown.txt

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i still don't understand why companies think people want this phone that docks into a tablet that docks into a laptop that docks into a desktop

read the comments

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
oh hey new blackberry

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/7/17413402/blackberry-key2-dual-cameras-look

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

pixel 3 xl got leaked

notch + chin, the worst possible design compromise

the phone sucks too

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

syscall girl posted:

also you can use plex or something like that to stream off your computer

or itunes match or whatever the gently caress it's called

literally can't remember the last time i plugged any iphone into a computer, my 4s maybe? p sure by the time the 5s came out there was no need any longer

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the dyp thread should be renamed to 'anything but apple'

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the camera's so bad you won't need eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

3d touch is dumb as gently caress and exists purely because they couldn't figure out how to keep the ui interaction simple

force touch owns on the keyboard for moving the cursor around and it's good for the slide up settings/app drawer

i use it for literally nothing else tho