Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cthulhoo posted:

android lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

android but instead of starting from the great idea of being a blackberry clone they're starting from the great idea of being a web clone

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

could it be some weird trick of the sub pixel anti aliasing assuming a certain sub pixel ordering and looking "off" if it was the other way around?
like how you used to have to configure cleartype for RGB or RBG

especially if they are still using cheap screens with the scam where they have 2 logical pixels sharing 4 sib pixels

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

buttery smooth

(although are we allowed to use that joke anymore now that Craig uses it non-ironically during keynotes?)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

when you level up lady bixby does she become more confident?

in the one I played you get to choose which stats to raise

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

my car is ultramarine

nerd

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

why doesn't it do that *after* taking the picture?

also, in the latest 'what niche haven't we filled?' news, lg is releasing a mosquito-repellent phone

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-is-releasing-a-mosquito-repellent-phone-but-it-probably-wont-work/

they should make a phone that protects you from fan death by including an O2 sensor

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

the rant about the efl is always worth rereading:

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

if it quacks like a duck...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it would eventually crash if i placed it on a library book on my bedside table, the nfc implementation kept attempting to talk to the nfc tag in the book, and its negotiation attempts with this mysterious object the nfc subsystem would (sometimes) crash

real world fuzzing

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Stymie posted:

it's the exact opposite of apple

android makes an os that everyone should have but nobody can get

apple makes an os that nobody should have but everybody can get

Worse than that, Apple practically forces the update on people.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

unpatched security vulnerabilities are bad, mmm'kay

maybe they should patch the old OS before some consumer org finally makes them refund people's original purchase price for bricking their phones

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

HoboMan posted:

and then of course everything is broken

Android is copying IOS again...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

now that stores can have RFID loyalty cards it's a bit more worthwhile than simply displaying a barcode on your screen that the scanner won't ever read first try

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

...why would i need a notification that i took a screenshot? i actively did the thing so i know i did the thing. why would i ever need to be further notified that i did a thing that I have to actively do? does android also poo poo out a notification every time you unlock it or go to the home screen?

Anroid got tired of copying IOS so now they're copying Windows

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

AI is so close guys

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

eh, the USB floppy drive is presumably acting as a mass storage device.

iOS would work the same if you plugged onto into the camera adaptor.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The windows ones run 6.x and are a nightmare but what you should be doing is running the Honeywell battery sleds on iPod touch's

https://www.honeywellaidc.com/products/enterprise-sleds/captuvo

iPods Touch please

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

this probably explains all those "facebook is listening to your microphone" rumours from a year ago

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I bet they shadow tag photos on the backend anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Last Chance posted:

ios 12 beta on the 5s is faster than ios 11 on the same device

That's not saying much though

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can see that happening in a "group" chat because AFAIK there's not such thing in SMS/MMS and phones have to fake it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

frankly the only time i encountered a person with a gamer laptop that made 'sense' per se was a game dev working on a masters that just liked a portable workstation

neither dell nor lenobo will sell let you have 32GB of RAM without spending a million billion dollars so I'm tempted by a gaming laptop even though it's gonna be poo poo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

what the gently caress are you doing on a laptop that requires 32gb of ram?

non-web dev

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

what

The thinkpad t series easily go to 32gb of ram. This includes the T470 and t480

I just got my t25 (25th anniversary thinkpad). It came with 16gb of ram and had a free spot for more ram. I bought another 16gb on ebay for $160 and I now have 32gb of ram

thanks. guess I was thinking of the 480S (which does actually have a SO-DIMM slot but has 8GB soldered and therefore only goes to 24GB)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Management posted:

next step is having them install a separate store by each major game company.

works on Windows

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

isn't apple like the only manufacturer who even offers a reasonable way to buy a new battery

what's unreasonably about buying yumcha batteries off ebay with fake NFC coils stickers on them?

Pinterest Mom posted:

what's wrong with the 8 :confused:

8 nonplussed has an active recall for logic board replacement

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Wheany posted:

there's this exercise path near where i live and google maps keeps routing me through it when i ask for cycling directions. cycling is forbidden on the path and i have reported the issue several times. latest report got a notification that my change request has been approved. maps still routes bicycles though the path.

like the path has this sign on it "Road closed to all vehicles in both directions"

I bet google maps backend doesn't have a connection type that routes walking but not bicycles

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TWO CLOCKS SHOWING DIFFERENT TIMES

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

we need to go back to turn-around-able cameras like we used to have on the first 3G phones

why have your selfie sensor worse than the 'proper' camera?

edit: woah, I forgot that those flip 3G dumbphones used to have screens on the outside

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 31, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

did android really add a big volume control overlay? that is literally the worst thing in IOS they could possibly have copied.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

lol the peel-off protective plastic coating turned out to be load-bearing

the fact that it's peel-off does imply that it was a pretty late addition to fix structural issues...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

the customer is always wrong

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

fun fact: it runs it's own little macos variant right on the adapter!

so many words to say it's not AirPlay as if that were the concern rather than it looking like poo poo and being 30 frames behind

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

the panel was made by Sharp who called it that so they were just piggybacking I guess. E-ink requires zero power to maintain state, E-Paper aka Memory LCDs require some power to stay on but it's on the order of 10 micro-watts. I remember that your battery life would be affected by which design you chose, because the amount of energy required to change what was on-screen was determined by how many vertical columns needed to be modified.

oh, that's less egregious

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

LastInLine posted:

i never saw the use case for it. the filenames were gibberish so you couldnt search them except by date and if youre working with a handful of photos then the actual photos interface was better for doing whatever you were trying to do. i thought maybe getting rid of it was for lock in but nope you can just download your entire photo archive through your google account at any time or even schedule dumps if you want to back up your photos off google for some reason

their reasoning of "reducing confusion" actually does hold water because once you opted into merging the two you had this photos folder that would permanently destroy your pictures if you worked in it except deleting the whole folder did not sync but there was no indication that was the case. so there was just this toxic folder that sat there waiting for you to gently caress up

For me it was receiving photos as attachments to emails and wanting to add them to Photos. But they they busted that anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

pseudorandom posted:

If you try saying "TwinView Dock II" several times fast it starts to sound like the name of some awful anime villain.

Copying Apple again I see. (Duo Dock II)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Every shaver I've ever owned, even the expansive ones with special cradles, used contacts.
Electric toothbrushes have almost all been inductive charging.

And buddy-charging on phones and Qi powerbanks are both dumb.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've heard of 3D Touch but this is ridiculous!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

2 NVMe slots and still no headphone jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

it would be nice if you could set a passcode and/or biometric for EMV payments and changing your icloud settings and poo poo, but not have to have to authenticate just to unlock