Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, the zaurus, that was a weird time

one thing i learned from being a windows phone early adopter sucker is, strangely, that it is a fair bit of fun being an early adopter (i so would have gotten the nokia internet phablets in the maemo era if i hadn't been a poor student then). i may try to jump on the next thing if there is ever a next thing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. sure someone will make a post noting the first time that does *not* happen tbqh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a bit of a waste to post that when the real payoff would be to develop the hack that in effect mines texts people have scanned with whatever system that is by just shooting noise

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

what the hell happened here? did they train the software on public transit and so it sees bus schedules everywhere??

well, broadly, what happened is what happens with most of the stuff of this nature presently; in a black box way they end up overfitting heavily, and given poor inputs they will pick some a-priori most likely answer. it is, btw, what will in an eventual future kill you, as you in an ill judged moment take a Designatd home from a bar and it thinks it sees a turn in the road in some tree branches in the wind. p. sad.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nothing shown so far suggests that it is anything but a bad calibration, the pictures have certainly looked uniform, so it is really not very serious but doubly embarassing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

if you're on a business trip why wouldn't you just hire a hooker, like every other man on a business trip since forever?

prostitution is a lovely lovely industry and it is not funny to even joke about supporting it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DuckConference posted:

It might just be power of suggestion, but I definitely see something similar when scrolling on a pixel that's upside down. Presumably it's not the actual AMOLED module being mounted upside down, but something a little more subtle elsewhere in the chain.

perhaps the surface coating being a bit weird on some off angles (i.e. having some behavior "upwards" to avoid reflecting overhead lights too badly)? do you still think there is a difference if you lay it flat and look straight down at it?

all sounds super-weird though, but a bit too consistently reported to be easy to dismiss as nonsense outright

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Breakfast All Day posted:

welcome to the joy of anroid, where every manufacturer sells out their customers by replacing googles perfectly ok apps and interfaces with their own horseshit that cant be uninstalled or disabled w/o going full neckbeard admin and rooting

also if any company dares not do this and just ships a standard distro, ~phone journalists~ will dock points for shipping a boring os that they dont have to janitor 5 times a day

otoh people have been saying this since the early days, and when i did try vanilla android in the 1.5-2.1 era it turns out it was absolutely laughable trash and the manufacturer modifications were obviously necessary. a very recurring pattern to android stuff overall, getting told that something is the way to go and finding that it is actually a garbage fire, but as long as i commit to another thing it has been fixed or replaced or whatever (but turns out to be a different garbage fire)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is legitimately the pants on head dumbest android post ive seen in yospos yet

hmm? is there a complaint here other than guarantees that it is now all different?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

continuous reflow is certainly one way to make sure no solder has an opportunity to crack

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

imagine the shame of being the sole green bubble in a group chat. knowing you were responsible for the loss features and being judged constantly.

this'd be such a funny yospos thing if it wasn't also an unironic reddit opinion which smacks of a ridiculous level of elitism/~my brands~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

h2dp with aptx quality is fine

no headphone jack still stupid

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bring back headphone jacks and required multicolor leds google

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as long as you can predict which device of the generation will not turn out to have huge quality issues, not be abandoned without security updates within six months, and wont spontaneously catch fire, android indeed seems a lot better

despite a lot of selection bias making people think that is easy it seems to remain a crapshoot though

"just get a device that isn't garbo" etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

are the exynos chips straight arm designs? i thought they were at least a bit different rather than just cut and paste?

as endless mike says they *call* them custom designs, but i don't think there has been any evidence they have ever achieved anything except making them a little bit worse on some metrics

qualcomm meanwhile has a pretty hit-or-miss recorrd on cpu design, but they do still own the market when it comes to integrating functioning modem hardware on a die, afaik there is no real competition there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

why is android so slow? that's just a 7 too, not even an 8 or X.

while the question may still be relevant *that* data point is pretty crappy, safari is way faster than chrome on octane on the same hardware, and it is not too obvious that octane is useful for real-world comparisons anymore

EL BROMANCE posted:

android shutter lag is hilarious. I saw some kid taking photos non stop at a gig a few years ago and the lag on his branded phone was a good 4 seconds. every single photo looked like complete poo poo.

this is mostly because there is a global broadcast for a new photo being taken (e.g. to wake up dropbox to upload it), and every lovely app in the universe pointlessly registers itself for that broadcast, so it is spending those 4 seconds trying to swap in three dozen apps simultaneously (*actually* simultaneously, it does not afaik account for e.g. all apps not even fitting in memory at once). oreo will actually likely help this a bit, since they are finally coming around and killing off that functionality

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

last time i had an android phone it used to randomly wake me up in the middle of the night with a loud notification sound which informed me that a system component had crashed (did not respect the volume controls or setting it to silent), took me an age to figure out what the pattern was: it would eventually crash if i placed it on a library book on my bedside table, the nfc implementation kept attempting to talk to the nfc tag in the book, and its negotiation attempts with this mysterious object the nfc subsystem would (sometimes) crash

that is my android story

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, it is a weird fascination manufacturers has with something that at best competes with novelty snapchat filters for usefulness

dual camera setups luckily good for other things as well, so one just has to, as always, avoid internet reviewer opinions about that gimmick aspect of them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

or, alternatively, stop interacting with humanity on a scale where you regularly need to go places, and instead get drunk on the porch

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why is that anyways? patents?

the modems are the big deal, qualcomm beat everyone to the punch, and has kept the lead, on integrated baseband on the soc

the only realistic alternative is to either go with multiple variants for different markets (as samsung does, they have lte working on exynos, but for markets where they also need cdma they drop in the qualcomm), or go with two chips, which is what apple does, but then you have a rather different bom calculatioon to do

e: this is also rather what intel really failed at, they bought out infineon to try to make a fully integrated soc, but they didn't manage to put the thing together in a timely fashion. it is not that unlikely that their x86-in-phones play could have worked with aggressive pricing *if* it wasn't for the fact that they didn't have the full solution (they have one now in the atom x3, but that came out in 2015 when the battle was already lost)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 15, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's a terrible analogy as microsoft made their empire largely on making cheap software with free development tools, and providing prodigious levels of backwards compatibility

google beat them on the first two, but everyone caught onto the first two, and google can't conceptualize the third at all because they don't have even entirely non-compatible continuity for any product they make, create and forget~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably pretty good for everyone if a couple of these more clear-cut lock-in systems like passport and pay don't become too ubiquitous

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

might be dangerous if Apple had a stranglehold on the notoriously closed systems of displaying QR codes or making RFID payments, which are definitely not available elsewhere.

this, except unironically, was the point yeah. it didn't come to pass as such, but if e.g. pay had become dominant it is easy to imagine the stickiness of a situation where people goes "eh, my card only works with pay so changing phones would be too much of a hassle", or special rebates involved or whatever. far better to have it remain a bit messy and not have choice of phone hardware also come with too many ecosystem effects

not that it is immoral by apple out anything either (perhaps good to imagine google in the same place to more clearly see it as an issue), but there not being a lot of deals in place keeps things rather more flexible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you're certainly a touchy bunch!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lol thinking that google is focused enough to *not* roll a different os for these devices (yet another chromeos/android hybrid, but detached from both, i think?)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the blobs are cool and distinctive, and it is typical google to kill them off because they have to fit some model of the market they are imagining

all google design has in fact gone from quirky and often bad to generic and invariably terrible. material is an interesting experiment in just standardizing on annoying and looking out of date

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

"hmm, with us all being so incredibly loving smart obviously us not overtaking apple can only be due to us letting some /personality/ show somewhere~"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when it gets to mindshare and actually getting money and so on though. in fact that doesn't really cover it, rather google, and a lot of other tech companies, have a bit of an irrational inferiority complex vis-à-vis apple. at least i put the drab design efforts google puts forward down to that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the library is just a playlist with a shortcut for adding songs

they should still up the limit for people who prefer that organization of stuff, but the functionality does not hide anything extra

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the library in spotify is relatively recent, and i suspect it only exists as a half-hearted gesture towards itunes expats who expect their music to work along those lines

i may have missed something in the functionality of provides though, have been on spotify since 2008 and have been conditioned to just amass playlists, and have in fact increasingly forgotten how anything else works

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Midjack posted:

remember how weird amazon was about the fire, they really really don't like not controlling distribution.

i am pretty sure that googles grip on what you can and can't do is a lot more subtle but restrictive than the internet idea of it suggests

in fact, samsung being able to get away with something is likely a very uninformative sign, because they have invested a lot of money into having a lovely alternative to every google service, and are, after all, the top android oem. there is more leverage there than for many others

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

as lovely as tizen is it still scares google

(no joke i was excited about tizen until i learned it’s run by the enlightenment dude)

this is probably true, samsung could if they felt the need no doubt drag people onto tizen. more immediately though samsung is clearly always standing prepared to discard the google services and instead run an aosp android amazon-style, if google oversteps. all their homebuilt replacement stuff for the apps is sort of lovely, but most of googles stuff is as well (maps is the trickiest bit), and it'd mean tthat point google neither gets paid nor has any say in what samsung does from there on out

samsung is certainly big enough that they could get anything of value on the google play store into a samsung store if that was the only way to run on the next series of galaxies

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stymie posted:

they've already managed to rationalize working in an industry that is destroying society and directly harming workers, i imagine a little fibbing about product specs isn't insomnia-inducing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

President Beep posted:

jfc. is that its battery on the back?

it's a battery addon back as shown, so, yeah, you can find shots of iphones with a tumorous 5000 mAh backs on them as well

little doubt this is a lovely random chinese brand-driven sort of thing, but it is not that new a bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just accept the realities of the situation and mount a nespresso machine on your dash

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

more brands! more brands!!!!

this has a flir camera though, which is a pretty legit feature. laser distance measure too, which is not as cool but likely appreciated by some of the same users

i miss competition on features

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, everyone rushing to copy essential. andy was on to something after all

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

uh, didn’t htc sell their phone engineers to google?

yeah, not really sure what the precise setup is, but this is likely also a pixel phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

does that make apple pre jobs return, and does that mean jobs will force ghost his way to a third era of apple leadership

i have to think that some kind of ikea of phones will turn up sooner or later, this stuff can't stay expensive and/or insecure/terrible forever.

apple wont do it, they have the piece of the market they want (since it coincides with where there are good margins) sewn up