Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kick-Puncher posted:

Ft Leonard Wood is the only place I have had to pull a tick off of my balls. That about describes the time I have spent there.

Fort Knox is the only place I have had to pull a tick off the tip of my dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

guns for tits posted:

This might be a bad question but how much of the military's budget is wasted on bullshit it doesn't need?

Let me give you a personal example. I was running a night range for 50 Caliber machine guns. The last people who have to take the shooting test finish, it's 2 AM, and we have 10,000 rounds left. A normal group of people would turn in the ammunition for somebody else to use, right? Not us. Range guys deem it too much of a pain in the rear end to got through ammunition turn in procedure and decide to shoot it all into the darkness instead. Here's the cost to the taxpayer:

1. 10,000 x $3-6 per round of 50 caliber
2. Contractors getting overtime to sit in the tower and watch this ammo get wasted
3. Wear and tear on a bunch of $20,000 machine guns, reducing life expectancy

This is probably the cheapest waste of taxpayer money you'll see. Don't get me started on the waste I saw when I was operating on tanks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some time ago the Army consolidated to using (for the most part) a single type of fuel. This is great because it simplifies fuel logistics giving a cost savings in equipment and manning needed to load an transport fuel. This is terrible because we need to use a fuel that will work in everything from humvees to helicopters and tanks. So you end up with JP-8, a type of jet fuel we buy at $3.73 a gallon, going into your basic diesel engine humvees.

Consider that the average Army vehicle will spend 50% or more of its operational life idling and burning fuel just to keep the radio on or troops warm.

Now consider how many thousands of vehicles are out there, today, idling or being used to for a run to McDonalds.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CongoJack posted:

You know how there's the trope of a parent getting their kid to join the military to "straighten them out?"

Has that ever worked?

No. Those parents are just passing the buck to a new babysitter.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

When did the icy realization that the military sucks, is gay and is not a meritocracy dawn on you guys?

When I started getting what we in the National Guard call "The Dread". It creeps up the Monday before a drill weekend, and ruins your mood for the week.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Heart

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

HEY YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fort Knox, got the trots during a run and I was a mile away from the nearest porta potty. Ran into the nearest treeline through some not so nice underbrush and squatted. Wasn't in great shape after running the last two miles back to the start with a lovely rear end.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

One time after the DFAC had been serving their funky Mexican corn stuff, I was strolling back to the barracks (must've been a weekend, I was in civvies) when I was suddenly overcome with that feeling. I was less than a hundred meters from the barracks, but it was so sudden and intense that I nearly shat myself right there. I had to stop for a second to kind of... pull my butthole back in, then I rangewalked like never before to the door. The bathroom immediately in front of the door was not usable for whatever reason, so I hoofed it up the stairs as quickly as possible, still urging my anus to stay strong while my guts gurgled and stomach roiled. As I smashed through the bathroom door, I feared that I would not make it. I started to undo my belt and pants, then I spun around as soon I got into the stall while slamming the door shut and dropping trou. As my rear end was still on the way down, my butthole erupted and corn spewed forth, drenching the entire toilet. I spent who knows how long in there, dying on the toilet as my soul drained out through my rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jEM8-Gbknk

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

There was once a soldier who peed,
In a kevlar, in an emergency:
She missed not a drop
then replaced it atop.
She now goes by Pissy Sissy

I wish I was allowed to probate you for that awful rhyme.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Talk to anyone who has ever worked in supply. Ever.

I do recall an LT ordering a humvee piece by piece and stuffing the remains of one from the junkyard (frame and decently square body panels and the like) into a shipping can with all the parts with the intent of rebuilding it himself in his garage back home. He ran his mouth and was snapped out of his unit by battalion when word wafted over. And then the container and nearby maintenance tents "caught fire" somehow. Shortly after, that Lt disappeared.

But seriously, supply dudes know all the shady poo poo that goes on. Anyone with access to supply yards (especially overseas because lol material security over base security) has probably seen or done plenty they won't talk about until well after the statutes of limitations no longer apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Staff is an assignment, so I'm not sure what you mean. It takes a court martial, at least.

I think he meant field grade officer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Shame about the mortality rate in their submarine force.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

This but while wearing full kit

One of my greatest challenges was to take a dump with full kit and an M-60 in the porta shitter with me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Genocide Tendency posted:

Like any stealth military project... Its a waist of money that will never face a real world test of its theoretical capabilities.

The thing about the F22 is the concept is really cool. In reality it is rife with issues. The F35 has all of the issues of the F22, plus the VTL issues of the VTL version (B i think), and none of the cool concepts other than STEALTH in its description. Which is basically a dog whistle term for defense idiots to start masturbating.

Building stealth aircraft is a waist of time. Build long range rockets or develop high altitude bombers and more advanced smart ordinance.

*waste

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwn_UfG2spc

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJOXTI4FEuM

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You'd think maintenance would be the only thing the company XO would have to worry about. He can borrow brokedicks and recycles so the DSs can do other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

Should I re-enlist?

• Locked thread