Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think the first movie's old enough that it would have been made during the earlier seasons? Regardless, it was all very silly, but I guess there were a few moments where I was wondering if this was really for young children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Realtalk, the lack of nihilism is probably one of the reasons MLP got so huge when it was new. It was a competently done show aimed at kids with mildly interesting stories and no deliberate creeping undertones of evil. Sure the adult fanbase was poo poo, but that's a whole topic on its own.

That was a monkey paw situation for sure. I watched some of the first episodes back when it came out, it seemed competently made for children's entertainment, maybe something you could watch alongside your child. No drawn-out scenes of ponies dying gruesome deaths in over-the-top 'ironic' and 'funny' ways, or anything like that. Then it turned out that the members of the (adult) fandom were absolutely horrifying.

Conversely, that's why I have no problem with the Rick & Morty fandom even if I ended up bouncing off the show. Enjoying it doesn't mean that you yourself are a Rick in real life.

Das Boo posted:

I gave up on Bojack after 6 episodes. I hated, HATED watching that piece of poo poo. Then I came back years later because I needed something to binge for finals and... Oh. Oh, it becomes really good. Whoops.

Todd in particular is extremely good for personal reasons.

It's likely you've seen these, but hey: Over the Garden Wall was probably the best Western animated series I've seen. Heard Infinity Train was also good, but I haven't seen it yet. New Ducktales is Venture Bros Jr. and funny as hell, but it is very much a junior. Venture Bros itself is a huge recommend. Primal is fantastic, of course.

If you're not opposed to animoos, Odd Taxi was great. The dialogue's got a wonderful, natural feel and a middle-aged cab driver is also a walrus!

Thanks! These all seem like wortwhile suggestions.

I have no problem with anime either, although I'd prefer the stuff that avoids the usual tropes that most people are familiar with - I know it exists. I'd also prefer it having dubs in Western languages, for whatever reason I've always used anime (on the somewhat rare occasions that I have watched it in the past) as an opportunity to learn French or Spanish, I guess since I have no ambition of learning Japanese so I don't mind if it's not in the original language.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 29, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

another cartoon that's fun: Teen Titans Go!

in some ways an empty and loud kids' cartoon, but they do a lot of making fun of the people who hate it because they enjoyed the previous more serious TT. also they have plots driven by things like the fact that Nixon ended the US gold standard and the leprechauns are still unhappy about that.

also, in a few eps, Batman and Gordon are basically little kids who want to watch cartoons during sleepovers, but mean old Alfred won't let them.

it's incredibly stupid. you'll know pretty quickly if it's a kind of stupid you'll enjoy.

I actually just started watching this from the start on Netflix; I already knew what it was about since I'd caught a few episodes on Cartoon Network here and there. You're right, it's a good timewaster, and I like the animation.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought you were talking in the first person at first and was all :hmmyes:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Junk posted:

its interesting to see how the average goon's tastes for edgy animated adult cartoons has pivoted so much. is it just a natural shift in taste as we're all growing older, or has the intense politicization of everything on the internet put us more on-guard with what kinds of jokes and ideas we allow ourselves to be exposed to?

Part of it is not being 15 anymore, but mostly it's just difficult to be subversive or fresh with it when it's been the dominant style ever since South Park started airing, and I never liked the really crass stuff to begin with. Cutesy cartoon style but the characters are doing and saying inappropriate things?? #whoa #wow

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Right. To me it's not ideological and I won't judge anyone for liking it, I am aware that most people who are not severely mentally ill are perfectly capable of separating reality and fiction. You should see some of the video games I play myself. But when it comes to animation, I feel like it's so played out and I personally genuinely just do not enjoy it (anymore). A show that manages to be uplifting in an intelligent, non-saccharine way is going to be much more interesting to me than something that is just doing the same old poo poo everyone's been doing ever since irony and cynicism were discovered by the masses in the nineties.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 2, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In more news about 'shows I shouldn't be analyzing to this extent and that I'm probably way too old to be watching anyway', season 2 of Teen Titans Go! feels like something of a downgrade compared to season 1. It seems more reliant on meanspiritedness and Looney Tunes violence, and the jokes and musical bits aren't quite as good. Still good clean fun...except that episode where Raven starts dating Aqualad or whatever his name is. That one just felt off, even in a show where basically every episode is a disconnected non sequitur.

The fact that it apparently pissed off fans of the original Teen Titans is pretty funny, seems obvious from the start that it's going for a completely different tone

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Imagined posted:

My son likes TT Go! so I've seen a lot of it, and it feels like the writers have gone back to the well of dunking on the toxic fans of the earlier show so often now that it's gone past funny and into 'obvious inferiority complex' territory. Like at this point the writers of Go! are the ones who won't let the comparisons die.

Yeah, I can see how it comes off as insecure on their part, kind of like latter-day Simpsons deflecting all criticism (except TTG is decent). Funnily enough, right after reading your post I happened to come across the episode where they get 'serious' and the animation style completely changes. I never watched the original series, I don't really care about the Batman (?) universe that the characters are originally from, so it all just leaves me kind of nonplussed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I think this Bart character could be a real breakout star

I think he's a real bad influence on the youth

Kids telling their teachers to eat their shorts, or to not have a cow??

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mapple

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just about finished watching the five seasons of Teen Titans Go! on Netflix (I'm assuming the newer seasons will end up there as well eventually). Interesting series. I liked the recurrent absurdism and satire, and its general attitude, but I also found myself really disliking the episodes that focused too much on humiliating Robin. I don't know, I just don't think that's funny on a conceptual level. Sometimes it gets almost uncomfortable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just watched the first two episodes of Ingress on Netflix. Lots of pseudo-mystical concepts get thrown at you constantly, but it seems alright so far. More on the serious side, not overly anime-y, reminds me a bit of Death Note.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had a suspicion it was a video game tie-in when they started talking about the control points

Doing a decent job with the material, I've definitely seen worse

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bart, get out! I'm piss!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Meg is an 'interesting' character. It was funny at first to have her be the family's punching bag, but after 20+ seasons it gets pretty stale. It's also implied multiple times that she has something incestual going on with Chris, which is disturbing even as a gag.

Wait what show was this thread about again

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

They seem to have changed Lisa specifically from a liberal to just the voice of reason for whatever the writers are complaining about. A few episodes later they have her complaining about participation trophies.

I don't think it's particularly uncommon for people who were vaguely progressive in their youth to think that society is 'going too far' a few decades later. Of course, it doesn't really make sense with Lisa since they never aged her up

Thinking about it, the way she's currently written is probably still preferable to having her be some Zoomer caricature doing social justice on TikTok

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lushka16 posted:

I genuinely loved the Kesha intro :colbert:

I just noticed the thread poll calls her Keisha

poo poo, I wonder how Kiesza is doing. Wasn't she in a serious car accident?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow sounds like the most boring place on Earth

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

People in Oregon are still salty about that

We literally have Springfield and Eugene side by side which is the direct Springfield/Shelbyville analogue, and Springfield OR is famous for being a dirty crappy city full of yokels and convenience stores

Yeardley Smith even married some guy from Springfield OR

So people in Eugene marry their cousins?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bobjr posted:

Simpsons in Oregon made sense right away to me. Hey Arnold taking place in the Pacific Northwest was the one that threw me off

Interesting that you should bring that up. As a European kid who knew very little about the United States at the time, I just assumed it was set in New York City. I recently found out that, nope, it's Portland.

e: alright, looking it up again just now, that's not quite right. Apparently it's an amalgamation of several different places, including Portland, Seattle, and (indeed) Brooklyn.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 28, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The secret is that most people don't care about your entertainment product's politics as long as it is also, you know, actually entertaining. Marvel's not going broke because they went woke, it's just that they've released almost nothing but garbage for years now. And similarly, modern Simpsons could easily get away with its half-hearted 'anti-woke' message if it was still good. But it's not, and the intended message becomes just another thing for people to pick apart.

What I'm saying is make good movies and shows, not bad ones. I have much more excellent advice where that came from, hire me if you need a consultant

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I liked the part where someone is talking about how there's a line separating Springfield and Shelbyville that is dangerous to cross, and then it cuts to Lisa and Janie (?) frolicking back and forth from one side to the other, but I can't find the clip on YouTube

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember being kind of weirded out by Lisa the Skeptic, as well as that season 2 (?) episode about stealing cable, but for cultural reasons. In general, American shows are relatable enough from a Western European perspective, but every now and then you get a reminder that they're very different societies in certain ways. To have religion feature so prominently in people's lives that the majority of the population would believe in the literal existence of angels is unthinkable here. Not because we're all frothing r/atheist types, but because it's just not something the average person would ever think about or engage with, and you would get mocked for doing so. So these types of episodes are a bit alienating, but also interesting in an anthropological sort of way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

Same but for Homer the Heretic. I still don't get why everyone went so hard against Homer because he wanted to sleep in on Sundays. Especially Marge saying 'don't make me choose between you and god'.

Oh yeah, that's another good example. That said, I am self-aware enough to realize that classic Simpsons was supposed to be a parody of a bygone, idealized America, and not necessarily a 1:1 representation of reality. I assume that even in the US most people don't regularly attend church services, especially nowadays.

On that note, I always thought it was interesting that the Simpsons are not only practicing Christians, but specifically Protestants. Their canonical denomination is a nonsensical mishmash of actual Protestant denominations, right? I never gave it much thought until South Park and Family Guy came along, where the arguable main characters (Stan and Peter, respectively) and their families (except Lois) are white Catholics, presented mostly without comment, especially in the case of South Park. I would guess that the Simpsons specifically being WASPs slots into that somewhat anachronistic depiction of Springfield as a platonically ideal representation of small-town America.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the church is supposed to be Reform Presbylutharan. Which is a mashup of Presbyterian and Lutheran. Basically archetypically protestant. I'm surprised they didn't work in Anglicanism, Calvinism, and Southern Baptist beliefs as well.

Presbyterianism is a Calvinist denomination :eng101:

There are so many Protestant churches, especially in the US, that a Presbylutheran one probably actually exists somewhere.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

She's called Bouvier so that's the canon VA

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:chloe:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe agreed on a lot of stuff, but video games, really?

I don't even agree about the music. There are quite a few commercially successful songs from the 2000s that I still listen to all the time. Meanwhile, I can barely think of anything released recently that I could see myself listening to decades later, or even at all. Maybe that's just part of being an aging goon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That goon was doing God's work, or at least the dirty job that no one else was willing to do. It was interesting to read. He hasn't posted in a while, I assume it finally caught up with him and he is now committed to a mental asylum.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can tell it's vaguely trying to be funny and topical, but there is just no humor in it whatsoever.

e: sorry my monitor was turned off, but the clip still sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't know that either. What the hell. That actually is kind of a major character.

e: oh yeah that makes sense