Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

You Are A Elf posted:

Why the gently caress does modern Simpsons love to throw random shadows on things that are inconsistent with light sources?

It's like they've heard that shadows are a thing and should probably occasionally include them, but don't actually know how they work and aren't interested enough to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think maybe they just had barney sober for a while and during that time the occasionally just had on screen references to him flying helicopters. If it happened it was after the good seasons so wasn't really paying any attention to the Simpsons any more so memories very hazy about it all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

He's probably just off flying a helicopter somewhere, drinking coffee and having a good life!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With how garbage the writing is in a lot of current era simpsions. Like how are they picking the writers that are so bleh? Like you think there would be a bunch of talented writers that would of loved to of started writing for the Simpsions. Or is it just a case of there is talented writers but the producers/show runners suck any amount of comedy out of them during the script writing process.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Ah come one if they can just make it three or four more years the voice emulators will be good enough they can keep the show crawling along for as long as watching sound and images at the same time is a thing!

Don't you want to watch bart get his first VR girlfriend, or Lisa jump on the popular new kid trend of getting your brain transplanted into genetically modified squid-sheep!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

im intently watching every moment of a new zombie simpsons
it's usually hard to look away at the horror

Wait are you held captive somewhere getting clockworked orange'ed with zombie Simpsions?

Blink twice if you're being clockworked orange'ed with zombie Simpsions!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well there's a clickbait article if I've seen one.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

As a non-American the only baseball players I can name are Babe Ruth and the entire cast of Homer at the Bat

I still can't name them all, but I do know since that episode most of them haven't been doing that way.

Poor that one dude last seen going into a mystery spot. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If you don't count season 8 or after as in the golden era there's still quite a few. I just checked Season nine and that had the famous Ralph "i'm a banana" and "were in danger" just before there bus crash off a bridge in the the Lord of the flies parody episode, there was the Simpsons go to New York episode that gets quoted a bit, and The Halloween episode had the Bart turning into the fly part in it.

There was also the Trash collector episode, where homer becomes department head of trash collecting, which um was not good but Steve Martin guest stared and the election banter between him and homer is remembered pretty fondly by people (probably one of the last good guest stars actually).

I quickly checked 10, and couldn't see any, but honestly couldn't remember most of the episodes from the descriptions so possibly missed something good here or there. ....after that I'd tentatively say no?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tenebrais posted:

The Ralph "I'm in danger" bit is from 2014, I'm sure that's the latest. Although technically it's from Family Guy, which was doing a crossover episode.

Haha yeah, never seen the cross-over episode, must of just seen that mentioned online and my brain just decided to put it there. So guess that lines a pretty good answer to the question!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean Sheens not the greatest comedy actor ever but he does know how to deliver a joke. Kutchers just the opposite of fun. Not sure how he kept getting put in comedies. Like even if the scripts it's still a pretty big step down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

That was Street Fighter gosh darnit!
drat straight. While a pretty bad movie Raul Julia was brilliant in it, and that line in particular is a classic.

Alan_Shore posted:

I have, many times. It's exactly what you want from a MK movie with an absolutely killer soundtrack and fantastic fight scenes. Very faithful to the games. Much better than the disappointing recent reboot.

The movie new exactly what sort of fun trash it was and nailed it. Honestly I'm not entirely sure what other tone would really work with a mortal kombat. Maybe with a touch more blood. But the game it self is based off a lot of b-grade movie trash -and Bruce Lee films- so like it fits.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With the quality of the jokes that do get in, I would really hate to hear the jokes that aren't getting in.

Like how bad a joke do you need to be to not get into modern simpsions.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Course this is because my brother raised 'em right (a steady diet of 80s cartoons which he would act out in any and all circumstances, like the spinning-sword screen wipes from He-Man. "Welp, time to go to work. HEEEEE-MAN")

While the acting out's cool, 80's cartoons were objectively awful. Like just the worst. The Simpsons decline aside, there's a lot hell of a lot better animation and just TV in general now days.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

You Are A Elf posted:

* President Schwarzenegger instead of McBain even though it was literally McBain like wtf

That was always super confusing. The producers/writers/whoever said they did it because they didn't want to alienate new audiences. Like WTF it's the Simpsons. Everyone knows it. And McBain's such a clear parody anyway who's not going to get it? Utterly bizarre decision.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I hope someone got fired for all those blunders

Well if they did, there's a good replacement writer right there. An entire season of just train related episodes could be just the shot in the arm the Simpsons needs right now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is given horse racing rules, 'Misty' was certainly already taken.

And Krudler wasn't? Man, horse racing people are lame.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

sorry but i couldn't hear a word he said

I heard "I'm(were?) here supporting the union" but yeah after that couldn't really here anything. But I mean the five -more like four really- words I heard were good at least!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Makes Disney and the Simpsons look bad, and it's not like either them still have to much of a reputation to begin with.

Whats the last new classic animated film Disney put out, not including Pixar stuff? Like Mona?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure all the money from the Flintstones chewable morphine went directly to the Flintstones estates alas.

It may of helped starts the opioid epidemic, but sure as hell bought Fred a nice luxury yacht.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also the angel is so dull. Just flat straight on.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, it definitely takes a lot of effort to do, but it's not really expressive at all.

I kinda wonder if it's specifically referencing a tap routine from some old movie, maybe even tracing over one, but that'd also be a Family Guy gag. Seems like it might miss the appeal of tapdancing, but I don't know much about that.

Honestly it's not that much effort for animation. For TV animation it's a bit more than usually, but only by a bit. The only part I thought stood out was the short run towards camera and leap on to the couch as you had a bit of movement with the camera and they did some nice subtle parallaxing which can be a real bitch to get right.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And they'd all have home recording set ups and can probably do an episode in an hour or two. 22-44hrs work a year for a few million sounds pretty good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Maybe I’m thinking it’s easier than it actually is, but based on what I’ve read about them I picture it like that part where Lisa is recording the lines for Lisa Lionheart when Krusty comes in and does them all rapid fire and leaves before the studio guy is even ready lol

Like there is a lot of skill that goes into professional voice acting and good performances often do require a lot of prep and working with directors and what not, but they've been doing the same characters for 30 years, the scripts don't call for much at all, and they're all talented professionals, I'm sure it's not that much harder for them than doing a Krusty.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

Animated shows in general don't use creative camera angles and techniques like foreshortening etc to play with the perspective, anymore. That's the first thing you'll notice if you watch a 90s episode of The Simpsons or Family Guy.

Yeah look at something like Animaniacs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hps_NyqEyKk

Or Rockos modern life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyB9zHYxi8

Or Batman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMucplM3CUk

Sure they're all more stylized but it's not just that, you can actually tell they think about frame composition.

I mean even King of the hill which intentionally very not "flashy" animation wise, still really good at going into close ups for character reactions, and obviously has a lot of thought put in to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsmsDafYyaM

New Simpsons just really seems to love a lazy wide for everything, while telling stories that are trying to be frantic, action filled, and a bit zany for a bit word. Just makes it all feel really lifeless and distant, the compete opposite of what they're going for.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cyril Sneer posted:

WHAT
I love Next Level Chef

You're forgetting your station in life. You should be perfectly content enjoying the chef at your current level. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

None of the creators or writers had anything better to do?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FrumpleOrz posted:

Nothing is allowed to end anymore and nothing new is going to start.

Hey it's not all bad, when were all old and our memories are all gone all the tv and movies will still seem really familiar!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Late Philip J. Fry is one of the only really good episodes from Futurama's second run, as good as any of the classics from the original four seasons. The rest of the episodes I barely remember.

Thought the da vinci one was alright as well. Think there was like three-four good ones and a the rest of stuff just seemed like they were going through the motions of trying to be a futurama epsiode. The Late Philip J. Fry was indeed a legit futurama classic.

Not going to watch the new series but I'm sure people will mention here if there's any similar stand out episodes to watch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Fry and leelas relationship was really confusing in the later seasons as the writers would just randomly go back and forth between if they were dating or not between episodes seemingly randomly.

like obviously continuity wasn't ever something futurama really cared that much about, but than sometimes they would try and make it seem like their relationship was meant to be something really important that we should care about. It's just sort of like if the writers don't care about the relationship why would the audience?

Sort of like with the simpsons. They've done so many different versions of "oh no homer was a jerk and now the simpsons marriage is in trouble!!! oh everything just sort of resolved itself out of nowhere in the last two minutes, all good folks!" why would anyone still care?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah that was just a really horrible episode. Characters felt badly written and mean in an ugly way and it just felt bad to watch.

Some shows can pull off that sort of humour, futurama really can't.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just stumbled upon a youtube channel where someone was recreating a classic Simpsions look in 3d with blender.

Two intresting things noticed. At this point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxL_XrcJrU&t=420s

He's created a 3d asset of a vending machine from a screen shot, and he's adding in the pen outline to all the edges. So to get the more classic look he adds in noise and variation of width to lines. If you look from when he first adds in the lines and modifies it to be a good width, it looks exactly like the line outlines in modern Simpsons, as soon as he adds in the noise and line width variation you get the classic Simpsons look which just fits so much better.

Like not to say that sometimes that very clean uniformed line work can't be good for animation, for some stuff it's absolutely the right choice and can work really well, but for the Simpsons -well maybe not modern Simpsons as much- it just seems such a bad fit. It takes a ways so much of the personality, and seems very sterile, particularly with the colours and character design. Feel like if they weren't locked into the pallet and character designs they definitely aren't choices they would of made today doing it again from scratch.

Later on they re-do a scene and it found it quite interesting as they go into discussing how the classic Simpsons used lighting while they're recreating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxL_XrcJrU&t=768s

Other than the character's looking a bit janky when he animates them (which wasn't really the point of what he was trying to do so whatever), and the shadows sometimes moving a bit weird, thought he actually did a really great job of replicating the feel of the classic Simpsons. Particuly just adding a drop shadow to the main elements, which was a thing that naturally occurs with cell animation but actually works really well to accent parts of the scene.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Humanity has lost the technology of “drawing”, we can only recreate it through elaborate simulations

I think you'll find humanity wise painting came first!

But yeah think that was more just a can you do it kind of thing. When you get a way from the big studios and the bland tv stuff there is still a hell of a lot of legitimately great animation out there. Honestly perhaps more than ever. You just need to look for it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hrist posted:

The character Frank "Grimey" Grimes has been dead for many years.

Obviously he's evil twin.

For anyone who's never had an evil twin before their awesome. You can just blame all the bad stuff you do on them!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Finally!

/close thread

Not so fast, I have it on good authority that the writers are quietly confident they'll be able to beat this record!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah voice acting remained very solid and with it's creative background/alien art design I don't ever remember really lessening. Writing did seem to be the only thing that really noticeably got worse. Possibly they had less more costly animated stuff, but if they did can't say I noticed it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Other Simpsons writers desperately googling how much it cost to visit the Mariana Trench.

Simpsons writers are well aware there is always lower.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey in you know twenty, thirty years or so, who knows, there may be a another Simpsons golden age!

I mean giving up hope of that is obviously senseable, but technically it is possible for that to happen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hatty posted:

Futuramas problem is that it never stays dead

When the dead come back, nature abhors. They come back... different.

Hopefully in this case better! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

The Futurama DVD commentaries are an absolute blast. Why they're not included on streaming I'll never understand. I wouldn't even know where to find them now unless I try to find my DVDs

I've always been confused by the lack of commentaries on streaming stuff. You'd think with how desperate they are for content then adding them for what amounts to negligible costs compared to film stuff, would be a no Brainer.