Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stingwing posted:

Part of the version they originally received made it onto the DVD, and is pretty great in its terribleness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-wjF5AMmk&t=36s

There was also a commentary of this on the DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K8pMvKBgXw

So the traffic copter guy was the show's first non-Simpson recurring character? Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really a big part is that Herb might not be that different from Homer, just having failed upwards to a higher level.

I think Herb was supposed be the mythical self made man who ended up losing his way when he got to the top, not someone who failed upward. Wasn't it a plot point that he was raised in an orphanage and scrubbed toilets to pay for Harvard? I could be mixing him up with Rodney Dangerfield here...

Of course the whole self made man myth is kind of ridiculous unless you're talking about the cave-person who discovered fire or something.

rap music posted:

The episode where homer joins the naval reserve physically pains me, despite airing during the golden era of seasons 1-10

The one Simpsons/Navy thing that really bugs me is where Bart has a boy band that sings yvan eht nioj to subliminally get people to join the Navy. That not what "join the navy" sounds like backwards, drat it! Also I feel like boy bands making up nonsense phrases is more of a 50s-70s thing than the 90s-00s boy bands Bart's band was parodying.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 27, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

brugroffil posted:

but we know from the dumb male simpsons gene episode that Lisa sucks at word puzzles

She can't even think up a decent anagram for Jeremy Irons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Let’s be honest, how much of any “what was the point when poo poo started to go bad” discussion is just a thinly veiled attempt to find a Great Man to worship and to whom to ascribe all success

Good or bad I've never really gave a poo poo who the writers/showrunners of TV I'm watching were, but the decline in Simpsons quality is still easily observable. I am, admittedly, aware of who Al Jean is thanks to threads like this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The lowest point of the Simpsons is this display in a Niagra Falls wax figure museum (from the lovely wax figure thread)

I always like it when people try to depict Bart and Lisa's hair in 3D.

Daikloktos posted:

I always assumed that was an overtly Christian show from the name and the fact it aired after The 700 Club

I never watched it but it has the word Heaven in the name and I believe the dad was a pastor so it definitely had the vibe at least.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Lisa looks like she just came in straight from a Hellraiser ripoff, and I'm getting major hillbilly serial killer couple vibes from Homer and Marge.

As an aside, I've only been to Niagara Falls once and it was on the Canadian side. We were told, "Don't worry, it's not as tacky as the American side", in which case the American side must be an absolute living nightmare (aside from it being in America lolol).

When I went to Niagra Falls the American side was just some old power plants and a national park system visitor center. The Canadian side is the side with the huge, iconic waterfall so that's where all the haunted houses, wax museums, and the like are.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Poasty posted:

Kind of relayed to Simpsons celebrity cameos, how did people feel about Beck in the Futurama episode?

It's one of my favourite Celebrity cameos in a cartoon of all time. Mostly for Beck asking Bender what Devil's Haircut is about, and Beck forgetting how his song ends so it lasts three hours

I think the episode is one of the worst from the original run and Beck's role in it is completely unremarkable, personally. But I've never really thought much about Beck at all outside the context of this episode.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bobjr posted:

In later Simpsons seasons there’s a fair amount of jokes about Milhouse being the product of incest

I think it's a decent joke on a character whose parents were designed backwards from the kid so they look exactly like each other.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah I never hated the jockey elf episode. It wasn't a good episode but it had some decent jokes and I guess I was never someone who really cared about the sanctity of reality of the show. I think I started watching around season 10, but that was actually a pretty good time to start since you were getting 10 reruns from the good years for every new episode.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lisa is excited to show that she's figured out who Homer's attacker is so she's made a production out of it by writing down the name on a piece of paper for the big reveal. Then it turns out she thought it was some goofy bit character with no relation whatsoever to the actual attacker. It's funny! I'm not sure what thought process she used to arrive at the conclusion that Bumblebee Man was the would be murderer but at that point you're thinking about it too hard.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

it's not about why she came to the conclusion that it was BBM. the issue is that she decided to write that on a piece of paper for some reason

Isn't this a detective fiction trope? The detective gathers all the suspects to give a big speech on who's the one what done it that begins "I hold in my hand the name of the killer" etc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

a piece of paper they've not looked at and apparently didn't write.

I don't know where you guys are getting this part from. She wrote it down on the paper to make the reveal more dramatic, or maybe a magic xylophone wrote it idk.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It also wasn't nearly as mean spirited as Family Guy had gotten.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Everything, pretty much. All the characters were horrible and unlikable. Imagine Always Sunny but some of them are children and also it isn't funny.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In a fit of poor judgement my wife said we should watch an episode of the Simpsons, so we watched The Seven Beer Itch (singing Marge episode) because that was what Hulu defaulted to. It's as bad as everyone said, but once again I was struck by how bougie the Simpsons have become when there was a sequence complaining about day tourists at Martha's Vineyard (as opposed to Marge and the kids, who apparently have a family member who owns a beach house there).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's the worst "Simpsons go to a place" episode anyway? Italy was singularly terrible, but Boston was ridiculously boring and Bart's weird obsession with "southies" really bugged me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

J-Spot posted:

The one where they go to Jerusalem is considered particularly bad by the die-hard fans, although I can't really remember anything that happened in it. I've always really hated the Brazil one.

I vaguely remember Bart shouting "karate!" and an Israeli girl shouting "krav maga!" which was pretty bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Does Bart know karate now? Also, why do they say anything?

Bart knows the touch of death.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Phineas and Ferb comes to mind as having been made by some people who worked on Family Guy, mostly in that they actively try to avoid a lot of FG's pitfalls, but they also have a few cutaway gags that usually pull it off. And musical numbers, by Disney's request, which worked out absolutely fantastic.

Phineas and Ferb has a lot of fun stuff but the title characters are complete voids of personality or interest. They're like Dexter from Dexter's lab without any of the stuff that made him funny or likable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

they do an amazing job of worldbuilding, down to the turkey rebellion feeling plausible in-world. and the animation detail is sharp. I noticed that the bathroom fixtures have shutoff valves in the most recent Thanksgiving episode.

I like how they're faithful to stuff like Bob's equesticle tattoo and the restaurant's ridiculous bathroom fixtures years after the only episode they actually mattered in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

I have groused about it itt, but nobody on that loving show has a character. everybody is the same kind of depraved rear end in a top hat, even the guy who's supposed to be utterly innocent of the world.

What if we made a show where every character was bender.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I saw Pelswick on some streaming service awhile back, thought "oh yeah, that was a thing", and watched a few episodes. It was surprisingly chuddy in places, which I didn't pick up on as an 11 year old. Guess that's not super surprising for a show where "Pelswick's pal, God" is a major character.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I like season 1 for different reasons than the later stuff but I still like. Definitely a few stinkers though, like the babysitter bandit episode.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Some Enchanted Evening gave us this clip and it's so smooth and well-timed that I forgive whatever else is in that episode.

In some ways they were pretty ambitious with the animation in that episode and I feel like it largely didn't work, but that scene is pretty good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm pretty sure this was the lowest point of the Simpsons:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Woah the guy who voices Jimmy Pesto on Bob's Burgers apparently was in the mob that attacked the capitol.

Pretty on-brand tbf.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Lots of potential in that crowd. Also digging the Torsoless Bandit.

I think we have a smilie for that guy :madmax:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The bits with Skinner trying to be a no good street punk outweigh any problems I have with the episode.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

lurker2006 posted:

Is Bart ever portrayed as bullying someone specifically besides picking on Lisa?

He takes advantage of Millhouse a lot, but that's not quite the same thing.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 18, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We already have the perfect animated representation of Albuquerque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE37e1eK2mY

...though apparently they did change their baseball team name to the Isotopes. It's actually pretty fitting iirc, they got a ton of science and military research places. (Black Mesa is supposed to be located in New Mexico iirc)

There is a Black Mesa in New Mexico. It's more of a Native American sacred site than a government weapons lab, but it's near a government weapons lab.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought the Shipoopi bit was pretty good. It's a solid song and the animation was good by FG standards. Didn't feel like a Conway Twitty style time waster since they still had to animate it and record a voiceover. Since someone asked the joke is that Peter was asked not to showboat and he then goes on to showboat in a completely ridiculous way.

I didn't stick with Family Guy much longer after that but I always found it odd that people cited it as some "last straw" moment.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

We need a Pukahontas style tragic biopic on Handsome Pete.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The real problem with Disenchantment is that the jokes are largely just not very funny. I think its other flaws would be pretty forgivable otherwise.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

I dunno about Tuc and Burb but how does everyone feel about Big Mouth?

I don't think I'll ever watch even one episode and that has never felt like a mistake to me but maybe I'm wrong

I liked the first two seasons but by the third it's just too much imo. (I think the third, whatever the current one is)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Coach Steve sucks but "Sex on a Lady" was a great musical number.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I liked Sting, really just because of that one joke where he bursts through the wall of the well and Bart immediately shouts "Sting!" only for him to get pushed aside by Homer.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We used one specific image of Pepe and I don’t recall ever seeing a Wojak here.
It’s a sad state but it is what it is. We’re not getting the Sig rune or the swastika back, either.

Various Boys Club comics featuring Pepe et al were pretty popular on SA back in like 2005. This was long before he had become any sort of hate symbol, of course.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They already have a bunch of pretty dismal Maggy shorts on Disney+ so to get back on topic I'd like to nominate that apparently ongoing series as the lowest point of The Simpsons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It would be extremely annoying to be the friend/coworker/neighbor/family member of Homer Simpson, to be fair. It's sort of a Squidward situation where his annoyance is understandable but he's also definitely an rear end in a top hat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always laugh at the line "I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley." I am a man of simple pleasures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Make it the squeaky-voiced teen, and his sole job is walking around the shop making sure all the W's are the right way up.

The lowest point of the Simpsons will be when they give the squeaky voiced teen an actual name, probably Jaiden or something.