Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

"Game games" (lol) are art if table tennis or petanque are art.

Or if baseball and NASCAR are art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

goichi suda, tim schafer, yoko taro

there are tons and you just don't pay attention

Chris Roberts literally directed the movie version of his video game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and is made of a culmination of individual things that are certainly a duck, obviously...

It's a small pond in a park with a flock of ducks on it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bajaj posted:

Humblebundle get shittier by the year.

As bad as Humble gets (and at this point I get more value out of their book bundles and even those aren't great anymore), the other indie game bundlers are a dozen times worse. Every few months I might get some games in a Humble Bundle, the others are just complete and utter shitpiles.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

This but star wars

I remember back when nearly every game with the Star Wars license that came out was great. And then George Lucas decided to make three more movies, so it wasn't a dead property that nobody gave a poo poo about anymore and every Star Wars game since then has been bad.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There's not really a Warhammer game I'd put over a B-, and the vast majority are shovelware.

Bloodbowl is fun! But if you wanted to knock them down to a B- for gutting the game content to make the majority of the teams DLC, I wouldn't blame you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A friendly reminder that Just Cause 4 is out in 5 days and it is the #1 "wander around and blow everything up" simulator series

Hmmm...

Just Cause 1: lovely.
Just Cause 2: Good.
Just Cause 3: lovely.

Well, if my calculations are correct, that means Just Cause 4 will be good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

If you play Monoply by its actual loving rules, notably the auction system, the game takes 30-45 minutes to play even with 6 people and maintains its core message of "capitalism loving sucks".

It's still longer than that to complete, but playing Monopoly by the actual rules is the fastest way to end a game of Monopoly since what happens is you take your first turn, start an auction, people go, "What the gently caress?!" and then you repeat that you only agreed to play if they used the actual rules. Game is over right there. Now some people may say that makes you a dick; I prefer to think that you just spared people from playing Monopoly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DebonaireD posted:

The best inventory management system was in ultima 7 where your tileless bag and pack collection could lose a six pixel high key behind a bottle of ale and sometimes lose it for reals when the voodoo memory manager ran out of 640k of high upper mem.

Should have logged into Origins BBS and downloaded the patch that automates the key handling. :smug:

Of course, if you're too poor to have a modem, you could always call them and they'd send it to you on a floppy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Gaming 1999: Oh just use the cheat codes if you don't have time to play it normally.
Gaming 2019: Git gud baby, how dare you have a life outside one game.

More like Gaming 2019: Buy the $5 DLC that gives you completely unbalanced stuff that lets you autowin.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight crossover when?

It's already happened. Hollow Knight takes place in a shovel full of dirt Shovel Knight dug up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Journey on the otherhand Ive never thought "ok but what if I wanted a really mediocre 3d platformer"

I played Journey for the first time a week or two ago and walked away with, "Seriously, that was it? Well, I guess it wasn't a giant mass of indie cliches when it was released in 2009... [looks up when it was released] or it was just a giant pile of indie game cliches when it was released in 2012."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flannelette posted:

New opinion: SA was too hard on Derek Smart, making video games is hard especially super niche ADHD space games and he still shipped something more functional than CIG and their 10 years+300mil.

Derek Smart has been an enormous, dishonest poo poo on the Internet for over twenty years. The only acceptable response to him is, "gently caress off!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought the original Wii was the king of shovelware. Endless titles where you do little more than shake the Wii remote and (something happens) and wow! Motion controls!

The Wii library has a ton of great games that completely flew under the radar since it was dismissed as a bad console for casuals by console warriors (Sega published a lot of good stuff, for example, once you got past their Sonic games). But three-quarters of the library is absolute garbage tier filler.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While newer consoles probably have it beaten on sheer numbers, it's still probably notable that there was so much shovelware for the Atari that it's widely seen as having actually killed the idea of video game consoles (in the States at least) because people literally couldn't find good games for it. Generally with that ET game you all know about being blamed for it, possibly a one-two punch with a really bad Pac-Man port; that two of the most promoted games for it turned out to be garbage even by Atari standards and they somehow managed to screw up Pac-Man seems an understandable last straw.

To the point where Nintendo introduced the Seal of Quality that didn't really mean anything except that they'd signed off on it to assure consumers and investors that they weren't going to let the platform get flooded with poo poo no one wants.

None of that is actually true, though it's the story that gets told a lot because by 1988 people were looking for something to blame for why that Japanese company was coming in and taking over good American industries. The Pac-Man game, for example, was a massive hit selling millions of copies... but Warner Brothers (who ran Atari at the time) printed nearly twice as many carts for as their were 2600's in existence. E.T. was published two years before the crash. I wouldn't even call them especially heavily promoted. E.T. had the standard television commercial for a major release and catalog listings that was pretty much it; it wasn't like there was a media blitz.

What hurt the industry was a bunch of companies making terrible business decisions; Warners deciding to strip mine Atari after they bought them, everyone and their cousin deciding that they could get rich making video games (a process that would repeat in Japan with the NES three years later and flood the market the same way), Mattel's completely half-assed attempt to set up their own platform, Coleco's... well... every decision Coleco made.

The fact is that the NES had a much worse ratio of godawful games to the 2600 where almost everything on it were simple arcade ports that did the one job they had as nicely as 1978 technology could. The Nintendo seal of quality existed solely because Nintendo was very light on restrictions for third-parties in Japan, then got mad that they weren't making even more money when the Famicom became the biggest thing since sliced bread. So when they brought the NES to the US, they took total control over manufacturing of cartridges and put heavy restrictions on their third-parties so they could get even more money (this behavior directly led to a lot of those companies going "gently caress you, Nintendo!" and going off to make their own console, refuse to publish with Nintendo in the US and instead hand over their stuff to Atari to publish on the NES, and generally look for anyplace else they could take their games).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

There will be games that are inspired by 2020. They will all be bad.

Looking forward to the hundreds of lockdown indie games about the struggles of an unlikable shithead as they stay in their apartment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

Wasnt the DVD feature a big factor? That and GTA III seemed to seal the deal for a lot of consumers.

It was. The ps2 is a pretty lovely DVD player, but most people didn't think about that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

it's cuz psych studies are frequently poorly conducted but then they get parroted like the immutable truth. "cable news doesnt cause depression in people this study says so!" but if you read the actual brief it says like, in our group of 38 individuals, we saw no significant difference between the mental health of subjects who watched over 12 hours of cable news a day vs those who only watched it for more than 8 hours but fewer than 12

i think you just hate disingenuity

There's a joke that psych studies are only good for examining the behavior of undergrads.

(I was shadow banned from my college's economics studies. I think it was the second time I broke their experiment and took them for over $100 that did it. :v: One of those times it was three minutes in a half hour study and they cut me off because I was on track to make over a thousand on them.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Are people aware when they call Bioware terrible things that they made Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, some of the greatest games ever made

I preordered Baldur's Gate directly from Interplay and some unfortunate UPS guy delivered it to my house Christmas morning.

The game sucked.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved the Duke controller but that’s also because I have ridiculous shovel hands. The switch joycons drive me nuts because they’re so small, if a game expects split joycons I will get hand cramps every goddamn time.

If someone points to me to a place where I can buy double-sized joycons, I will order them right now. Okay, maybe not double, but at least 1.5x.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jokes posted:

Buy the pro controller my dude.

I've been meaning to, but the pro controller is also kind of small for me so I've been putting it off.

Also, I like using the switch in handheld mode. I just need something significantly larger to press.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

barkbell posted:

civ 4 alpha centauri was the best civ.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nurmie posted:

it just kind of feels like it's trying too hard to be cool and edgy, like something from early 2000s, somehow completely un-self-awarely self-aware, if that even makes sense, idk

Yes, yes. We know it's a cyberpunk game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phigs posted:

The worst part is that being someone who actually fights is really valuable.

That's why you play druids. I remember seeing somewhere a comparison of how bad 3E fighters are by showing that a fighter is inherently worse than a bear while a druid of that same level is two bears thanks to being able to shapeshift and having a pet. Oh, and the bear can cast spells.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lodin posted:

Yeah, I'm an idiot and it turns out they did fix it some months after launch. It was mostly the arrogance from the WB guy that pissed me off.
Maybe I should replay it and get past that point? I'm certainly not getting Cyberspunk anytime soon.

Origins got poo poo on a lot, but mainly it's a dull carbon copy of Arkham City. So if you really wanted more of that then it's worth playing.

Knight, OTOH, was bad the whole way through.

(Whew, got one unpopular videogame opinion in before I got to my popular one...)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Bushido blade isn't first person.....??????

It had a first person viewpoint you could play. IIRC, it only came up if you linked two Playstations together.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

adhuin posted:

Still the best Star Trek game:

To be fair, I don't think you can get the original series writers to come back and write new episodes as adventure game plots anymore.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How. DARE. You.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The best achievements are the ones that reward you for doing something goofy or difficult while you're playing. "Wow! You flipped the bus you were driving three times while jumping over all the giraffes! Have some points!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Serephina posted:

The comments about Prey aren't about stealth (which was handled fine: you do it to avoid fights you don't want to take, then ignore it when you're godly), it was referring to "human only" neuromod runs. As a person who did one myself, what a big fat waste of time. Lesson learnt, ignoring all cheevos etc for their next game.

I wasn't going for points, but my immediate reaction to Prey was "Yeah, I'm not putting any of that alien poo poo in my body," so my game was a pure human run. Same thing in Dishonored 2: "Well, you are so obviously a sinister bad guy up to no good.
I think I'll do this without evil shadow magic, thanks." And of course in Dishonored I immediately went to all stealth, no kills because a true professional doesn't leave a mess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Who loving cares, play on a lithium server or gently caress off

I suppose poo poo like superheroes mods and stuff get a pass too but basically standard Quake 2 sucks rear end compared to mod servers

"get[s] a pass" -- signalnoise

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I can tell, It would've been a shame to end the franchise so early though 1,2, and Tactics are good to great games

Don't forget Brotherhood of Steel!

I wish I could forget Brotherhood of Steel...:negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fur20 posted:

i don't even think it was popular with nerds who know anything about games or movies, it was only popular with people who are easy to advertise to. which i guess makes sense when you consider that it's basically an entire book of ads about defunct properties

Ready Player One is definitely popular with the type of nerd who never grew past the "I know that thing!" level. I see people gush about it way too often. Of course, any nerd who did grow past being satisfied to see action figures slam together absolutely despises it and are horrified at the depiction of a cultural dystopia that never outgrew an adolescence in the 1980s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

Ready Player One is actually pretty lazy. I actually played all the Williams Electronics video games when they were NEW and I can promise you that, off the top of my head, Sinistar and Defender were the A list, while Joust was like, C or D list.

WHAT THE FU-- Oh, right. Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread. Carry on, then!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well Jack me in to cyberpunk there is a 2d lawnmower man game.

I bet its awful but man hold me back

The PC and console games are completely different. They're both dogshit, but the PC game was made to wow people with early 90's multimedia and so it's slightly more playable as a laugh.

There's also a Dark Half adventure game that was released as a movie tie-in and I think that we've covered everything for Stephen King games. Unless there's some mobile gotcha game where you collect pictures of Tommyknockers or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hellboy is an offensively boring film. I remember being astonished they were making a sequel i mean laughing out loud who the gently caress asked for a Hellboy 2 lmao

The director's cut of Hellboy is a huge improvement as it minimizes all of the stupid things that the studio insisted on putting in the film like the new guy viewpoint character. I won't say you'd like it if you hated the original version, but it took the film from disappointment to enjoyable for me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

*everything gets explained over and over again in excruciating detail*

"THIS IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE!"

No matter how much you explain nonsense in excruciatingly painful detail, it's still nonsense.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've never been able to have fun with any assassin's creed game. For some reason they are just super boring to me. They seem like the kinda trash that I'd like, too.

The pirate one is the only good one and that's because you can ignore all of the Assassin's Creed garbage and go be a pirate.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Best licensed anime game of all time?

Aladdin. For the SNES.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Steve Meretzky wasn't that good.

He did a lot of groundbreaking stuff, but his career becomes more iffy the further you go so I couldn't blame someone for reaching that conclusion depending on what they've sampled and if they're not placing his work in context.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

That list is a console every generation lol.

The Dreamcast came out five years after the PS1, so I assume you're saying the SNES and PS1 were the same generation since they were only three years apart.

Console generations are bullshit and based solely around how the platforms were marketed in the US rather than when they were actually designed and manufactured. On top of that, until the late-90's there was a new console or two every year. There's no clean breaks unless you basically ignore everybody except a handful of manufacturers and even then only if you look at when they started selling their systems in the US.

PinheadSlim posted:

Nintendo loving sucks at controllers lol

It's tradition at this point. The original Famicom had controllers hardwired into the system and the buttons were terrible because they were spongy so they got stuck all the time.

At least there, Nintendo corrected by changing the controller design in the first year of the system's life and changing the system design for the US so they weren't hard wired in.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

is pepsi ok posted:

there's just no avoiding it these days. literally everything i buy for my computer now comes with lights whether i want it or not.

Yeah, I tried to find a case without garish lighting when I built my most recent one around a year or two ago and couldn't get one. I hate how it looks, but at least I can shove the window side up against a bookshelf so I don't have to have it shining in my eyes constantly.