Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
the witcher games have their good qualities but the writing in general and especially the dialogue (highly praised by gameurs who have never voluntarily read a novel in their lives) is unbelievably childish tryhard poo poo. "oval office loving gently caress gently caress plow with the gently caress whores cunts. whores plowing gently caress plow, eh oval office? *burp*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was a loving grandfather paradox that they just shat out in the middle of the floor and walked away from. Not to mention that no matter what you did in the game you got the same ending, unlike the well-established "how you play determines the ending you get" mechanic of the previous installments in the franchise. I actually really liked the gameplay in Infinite, but holy poo poo did the plot take a nosedive into odious twaddle.

i agree with all of this apart from the bit about the gameplay being fun. the combat got old really quickly, largely because the enemies were all obnoxious bullet sponges who could take two whole magazines of machine gun rounds directly to the face with no problem.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Gone Baptizin posted:

dark souls is a bad game for japanophiles that think poor map design and strategic button mashing equals difficulty and/or fun

i don't think you know what any of those terms you just used mean, including "is" and "or"

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I didn't mind it, seemed like a reasonable approximation of playing d&d.

yeah, it's just a fully turn-based system that speeds things up by automatically hitting "next turn" for you (and I seem to remember it was switchable in at least some of the Infinity Engine games? you could make them auto-pause after every turn if you wanted to for some reason)

but some people are extremely strange about it and will storm into every thread about games, completely unprompted, to tell you that it's unplayable trash for dummies aaagggh

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Baldurs Gate games can not be turned into normal D&D by clicking the "automatic pause" button. The reason that BGs system is less than ideal is because all the characters move at the same time. Yeah you can pause the action, but everyone moving at the same time make the battles a chaotic cluster gently caress. D&D is a turn based game, all of the tactically interesting stuff comes out of the turn order. When there is no turn order it really limits what you can do.

And its not like superior systems can not be done. Temple of Elemental Evil has a turn based battle system thats hugely superior to the infinity engine games:
*video snip*

It's a trade-off, I guess. The big fights and high-level poo poo from Baldur's Gate would take about three and a half weeks each if everything moved individually. All the combat actions and stuff are still processed sequentially, on a turn-by-turn basis, with high speed weapons and high dex characters going first, so I dunno how much tactical depth you're really losing.

And I personally enjoy everything being a huge chaotic mess, it's fun. I've certainly played BG/IWD/P:T a lot more than ToEE.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

BotW and Elden Ring fall into the same category for me, in games that I just don't like the feel of playing but I love watching someone play in the same room. Like, if someone is in the room and is playing Elden Ring I'll probably watch it and enjoy the game. But I wouldn't play it myself. God of War falls into that as well.

Games I like playing have to feel quick, nimble and sharp. Fast paced shooters, action games where you never stop moving, etc. Or chill walking sims where stuff is happening or being narrated all the time.

When I don't control the game I can appreciate stuff my ADHD brain can't while I'm playing them. It's kind of neat.

And yet I still struggle with watching let's plays.

I haven't played Elden Ring but if you use light weapons and armor Dark Souls combat is pretty snappy. It's not quite Bayonetta or MGR but it can be close.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Hades hosed up by not having a gardening minigame. There's that whole garden area of the House that you don't do anything much with, and a garden theme on the post final boss area too.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

Amiga games were like "drive a car slow, but there are polygons", "weird euro-mascot bouncing on cake" or "fly a shapeship at a giger-monster but also its pinball"

speedball 2 bitch

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
my dad didn't really play games that much but he got absurdly, obsessively into a grognard Japanese railroad/business strategy game called A-Train

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

giogadi posted:

What if hitting enemies produced music notes, and multiple players fighting produced an improv jam?

What if all actions take a 10 second delay and you gotta navigate a space under those conditions?

What if you had to “hustle” enemies in order to beat them?

What if your jump’s gravity changed over time in the game, but so slowly that you only perceive a difference after many hours

What if you were fire

These are all stupid ideas but when I think about how much crazy poo poo games could potentially do, “swing sword hit dude” seems just as arbitrary, but we spend sooooo much time iterating on that formula

someone on itch.io has made all of these and they all sucked. the low-hanging fruit has been plucked and the rich veins have been mined by now. good new gameplay concepts only come around once every 5 years or so at this point

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Alpha Centauri is the best 4X game you absolute noobs

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

They seem to think that summoning a friend is a difficulty mode adjustment. Or reading a wiki and learning where to get things, where to put points and all that. It's just stupid brain worms. You're right. They are wrong. They can't admit they are wrong, though, because too much of their identity is based on beating a video game.

this guy's loving mad that he's bad at a game lol

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I've finished all the soulsborne games except DS2 which is an awful game. I have plats in BB, ER, and Sek. So suck my balls. I'm good enough at the games and I think they need accessibility options for people who want them.

I platted DS1 and ER while having a paralysed right arm and I think your 'accessibility' thing is an attempt to look righteous and munificent while actually being a mope. Calling everyone who thinks the game is good the way it is a vicious hateful ableist bully is the behaviour of a psychotic or a person convincingly acting like one.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
womping everything with a giant two-handed sword IS the broken build

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I remember seeing some interview where someone on his team told him that he should stop focusing so much on women’s feet or people were gonna think he had a thing going on, and that’s why Melania wears boots or something iirc

malenia's weird creepy toe shoes are tarantino level perversion though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

galagazombie posted:

Was there a reason all those trash systems like the 3DO came out in that same timeframe? The only other time you saw a glut of systems like that was the Atari2600 era before the crash.

Technological change, the transition from carts to optical media and all the Redbook audio and blurry poo poo FMV that it facilitated. "Multimedia" was the big tech hype at the time and everyone wanted to be the one who made the successful "multimedia device".