Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Rutibex posted:

FFXII was the last good final fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

Webster's defines "Weapon" as:

1 : something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2 : a means of contending against another

If Final Fantasy VII is about anything it is about recontextualization. Sephiroth learns he was an Ancient and plots to save the world, then learns he is cloned from an alien invader and plots to destroy it. Cloud learns he was never in SOLDIER and becomes a willing puppet, then pursues his own truth as aletheia and cuts all of the strings. Nanaki believes his father to be a coward and betrayer, but finding his petrified corpse's last stand allows him to finally see his own strength of will.

These stories are legion in Final Fantasy VII, and the same lens can be used to better understand Shinra Co. itself. As the uber-Zaibatsu, the Shinra president dominated lives with wealth and desire. His son is more ruthless, leveraging the might of Shinra's technology not at production but at destruction. Where the father viewed natural resources as standing-reserve to fuel his political machine, the son sees the corporation itself as standing-reserve to fuel his war machine. Shinra Co. itself becomes a weapon, and it's only fitting that the head of weapons in Shinra is named after the most essential and profound philosophical influence on the game generally: Martin Heidegger.

This essay will explore the connection between Da-sein's being-in-the-world and the literal with-world of the Lifestream, as well as the symbolic role of the four Weapons the planet forges to fight against humanity as well as the artificial Weapon made by Heidegger himself to fight against the planet: Proud Claude, an obvious reference to Star Ocean II's themes of technological conquest over magic as well as...

George
Nov 27, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

*takes a long drag from illegal marijuana cigarette*

:goonsay:

*takes another drag*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAtmwvkrqFQ
:goonsay:

those chocobos represent the call of conscience calling Da-sein back to its authentic being, but in the world of Gaia this call comes not from Da-sein itself but from an objectively-present underground river that speaks through animals

George
Nov 27, 2004

precision posted:

the Pathfinder games are indeed broken and janky, but i waited until the first one was patched into a state where i didn't encounter any major bugs so i just enjoyed it

they're certainly not well designed in the ways they should be (dungeons shuldn't be boring, they should be high points of the campaign!) but they are also very fun if you want some extremely western paper rpg nonsense

They're the closest thing to Baldur's Gate out there and I love them.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I loving love pretentious poo poo. I don't understand why people don't. It's fun as gently caress.

George
Nov 27, 2004

games shouldn't be allowed to have any voice acting for like eight years lets get a reset on that poo poo

George
Nov 27, 2004

jokes posted:

I agree with this unpopular opinion, and add a caveat that only absurd/goofy voice acting is allowed in the interim

so no change from current practice, got it

George
Nov 27, 2004

absolute full-throated lmao at people believing you can and should separate art from its artists

just rofling myself to death over here

George
Nov 27, 2004

you can enjoy it but do so in the context of its creator being an enormous heap of smelly poo poo.

this isn't hard.

George
Nov 27, 2004

imagine holding more than one thought in your head at a time

George
Nov 27, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Hey thread ur rear end is showing

turn it on

George
Nov 27, 2004

Most of the time when someone says "separate art from artist" what they mean is "ignore that it was made by a bad person" or "like it anyway". You do the former at your peril, but the latter is perfectly reasonable.

Art is big and complicated and affects us on many levels. You can like poo poo made by monsters but it's important to fully understand whether, how, and where their monstrosity shows in their work.

A lot of you are reducing this to weird consumerism and it's so much bigger than that. You should obviously be pirating stuff made by bad people, as well as most stuff made by good people probably.

George
Nov 27, 2004

the last good game was Trade Wars 2002

George
Nov 27, 2004

lmao at everyone here pretending they didn't play the poo poo out of all of these. "i stopped playing after five hours but now I'm reading a wiki *five paragraphs of lore from memory*"

ac is good because climbing around surprisingly accurate recreations of historic cities is loving awesome. yeah they poisoned the well with alt-history bullshit but it still owns

George
Nov 27, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Assassins Creed: Exodus where Moses is an assassin

you joke but they will do this eventually

George
Nov 27, 2004

DMC3 is as close to a perfect action game as I think I've ever seen. The blob boss was stupid and if you play as Vergil you don't fight Dante at the end, and I think those are literally the only complaints I have.

George
Nov 27, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I know this thread likes to have unpopular opinions

George
Nov 27, 2004

So obviously square is bad now and modern FF is just the scraps of failed games sewn together into an incoherent mess, but what galls me the most is their approach to remaking their good games.

when FF6 came out it was a cutting-edge AAA game. one of the reasons the genre is dead is that any game that looks like that is a half-baked indie project, and so the FF6 remake makes it look like a half-baked indie project.

I hope this gets figured out eventually but for the most part I think I'm doomed to sit in my porch with a shotgun yelling at clouds.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Aramis posted:

FF6 remake doesn't feel like an half-baked indie project because of its art direction. It feels that way because of the amount of effort that went into it.

yeah but a lot of that is how they redid all the character sprites for no reason and made them look dumber.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Man say what you want about the art direction of the Pixel Remasters but some of the new arrangements of the music are loving baller as poo poo. This is prob the best version of Battle on the Big Bridge ever made

Hard loving agree. Basically all of the music remasters for the pixel releases are loving godlike.

George
Nov 27, 2004

having a rhythm component in an action game is ableist

George
Nov 27, 2004

the game's protagonist is the loving worst

George
Nov 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I think all of the jowl-jostling movement of ddr causes facial hair to vibrate out, I never saw a DDR person who had any more than the thinnest wispiest facial hair. So neckbeard in spirit only

I knew a DDR neckbeard. Silk shirt, too.

George
Nov 27, 2004

ocarina of time has always sucked poo poo and i can't believe it even has to be said

George
Nov 27, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Square Enix just released a jrpg that's just like how you remember them called octopath traveler 2

Bravely Default and Octopath absolutely kick rear end at sucking poo poo. They're pure mires of looking "old-school" but being half-baked trash with no direction or imagination.

George
Nov 27, 2004

big black turnout posted:

Really hoping bomb rush cyberfunk manages to get released

George
Nov 27, 2004

lolling at pc game fans praising the xbox

my brother in gaming the xbox is what ruined pc games

George
Nov 27, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Steam is also like, chock full o' hentai now which isn't a hill I'm looking to die on as much as point out "that's loving weird."

I was looking at Nintendo's website and it's about the same there.

George
Nov 27, 2004

they should have made him put a kick me sign on your back

George
Nov 27, 2004

lol at the idea that games are a technical achievement of any sort, they're an art form and that's that

George
Nov 27, 2004

sick and tired of all these pretentious takes, games are dumb toys for idiots and they should be fun i stead of trying to make a point about anything

George
Nov 27, 2004

video games aren't art but their code is

George
Nov 27, 2004

there is no such thing as art

George
Nov 27, 2004

video games are art and that's why they're bad

George
Nov 27, 2004

only the prompts are art

George
Nov 27, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

quick time prompts, or all prompts

the ai prompts

George
Nov 27, 2004

when my dad sees me playing a game he starts talking about how fun the original halo was in middle school and i cant get him to shut up

George
Nov 27, 2004

the story sucked a fuckload though

George
Nov 27, 2004

skyrim has aways been flat, tired dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004