Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

itry posted:

They read your inputs.

Tbh I don't mind that part of Elden Ring at all. It's kind of counterintuitive, but imo it makes for better design if you get consistently punished for leaving yourself open 100% of the time and know for sure what you can and can't get away with.

That said, Elden Ring is basically just ike a big buffet and has the quality to match. The big dungeons are like delicious fresh cuts of steak, and the exploration is like munching on chicken tenders. But there's no real identity, nothing is made for purpose and a lot of it is very obviously being reused. Those catacombs in particular are downright embarrassing, those are like the sketchy seafood tray. And the PvP is the food poisoning.

I still love it, but only because I haven't played a game this poorly balanced (in a fun way) since Morrowind. Its nowhere near that good, but if you know what you're doing you can game the mechanics in ways that are always rewarding. Like using powerstanced scythes to 2-shot Radahn before anyone else because his hit boxes were kinda hosed up so jumping attacks would hit him like 4 times.
Unpopular opini9n, but I think they went for "funny" over "balanced" and it was the right call. After Sekiro and Nioh 2 a game that tried to earnestly su4vive on the Dark Souls combat system would seem to be a massive step back. Adding unbalanced weapons, like a trumpet that can can kill dragons faster than any sword, are what makes it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The most overrated games of all time are Disco Elysium and Ocarina of Time

DE was lucky in that it came out in the age of twitter, so its success is understandable. Ocarina was balls and was still successful without the embarrassing memes. Who knows why people liked it, other than maybe a lack of other choices at the time

You're dead on why people liked OOT. It was pretty much the only choice for a 3D action game on console for a while, and PC gaming back then was really inaccessible. Without that context it's pretty bad.

Dark Souls 1 kind of has tiny bit of this going on as well, but nowhere near as bad (plus it holds up). it was the only decent 3D action game for a long, long time. If you were to play it for the first time today without that context you'd probably be pretty confused that even die hard fans of this "Best Game Ever" will admit that around 1/3 of it is actually pretty bad and the devs have admitted that its pretty unfinished, compromised game.
All that said, the 2/3rds of Dark Souls that were great still hold up, and the atmosphere makes it stand out even today. They even give you a way to skip Lost Izalith, presumably out of embarassment.
OOT, though, really has nothing to offer anyone who isn't obsessed with game design history or some poo poo.

Unpopular opinions:

Far Cry 2 is better than 3, the setting is better, there's no crafting, the environment reacts to battle in more interesting ways (especially with fire) and there is minimal story that only asks you to get as invested as you want to. If it weren't for how frequent the enemy respawns are, I don't think this would be controversial.

Cult of the Lamb feels like the worst elements of AAA development were fused into an indie game. The art, music, premise and reveiws all suggest a great game. Its really a buggy, unfinished mess that takes an idea that has already been done (fuse farming game with rougelike dungeon crawler) and does it badly. The town management is buggy, boring and never rewarding while dungeons are a complete bore for anyone who has played one of these games before. Every single part of this game, other than the presentation, is way, way worse than Stardew Valley. The one man game that came out like 6 years ago.
Given the bizarrely positive reaction I'm going to be a lot more skeptical of Devolver Digital games from now on.

Completely insane take:

Sekiro is the easiest 3D action FROM game by a mile. You just pick it up and go and get punished when you die, you get some upgrades as you progress and can use them to exploit boss weaknesses, but it stands tall on the core mechanics you start with. Its just like an old school megaman game.
That said, I'm pretty poo poo at other FROM games and had more trouble figuring out build management and stat scaling in Dark Souls 3 than anything I ran across in Sekiro.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 26, 2022

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

I guess I can see being let down by Disco Elysium if you live in a bubble and eat classic political satire for breakfast and tweets about how good the game is for lunch. For everyone else that lives in a world where the most popular media is about superheroes, wizards and dinosaurs its pretty amazing.
Step back and compare it to a big budget story driven game that claims to be story driven, like Fallout 4 or Mass Effect Andromeda. Those were the bar was at when this game came out, a game like DE is great on its own but even better cause it raises the bar.
There's no reason to compare the text formatting to A Confederacy of Dunces. Especially now that the game is fully voice acted in a way that works (unlike something like Darkseed, where adding voice acting made it very clear just how bad the writing really was)

Unpopular opinions:

After playing Freedom Planet 2 I though the story was pretty ok, especially the part when I figured out that you could skip all the cutscenes and didn't have to learn the backstory of a Freiza looking fish villian named MERGA. Would recommend to anyone who enjoyed the first game, easy.

Blasphemous really should only be played with Spainish voice acting. There are some tense issues that make the plot nearly incomprehensible in English and you totally lose the fact that people mostly speak in prayer when it gets translated. But the real issue is the mood - in spainish, characters emote in a dynamicway that grabs you. In English everyone sounds like the Addams Family.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

Vic posted:

Try to take a thing at it's own terms.

You might be missing the point otherwise.

I disagree, I think that art, or at least our interpretation of it, must exists in a context, but I will definitely yield if you can explain Pink Flamingos, Black Dolemite or either of the South Park games without putting them in context.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

precision posted:

Hollow knight might actually be the best game ever made

Are any of the copies of it any good

Blasphemous is good. It's not exactly a 1:1 copy, though, and you should absolutely play it in Spanish.

Just watch a clip, if you'll hate it you will probably know very quickly from the art style.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm sorry the game hurt you. I know it's difficult, but it's the best all-around of the souls games. Low bar to clear, I know.

Sekiro feels kinda easy compared to Souls games tho. Like it was harder than a lot of games, but definitely less painful than a lot of Souls titles and way less frustrating. Given the reputation and that I played it right after clearing Nioh 2 my first thought was "That was great, seems kinda easy tho" and "I wish the Demon of Hatred was a Nioh boss"

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

ymgve posted:

Elden Ring side dungeons are cookie cutter shaped and are mostly boring as gently caress and have less creativity in them than Oblivion dungeons

The catacombs dungeons remind me a lot of the custom maps I used to make in Timesplitters 2. There's only like a dozen or so dungeon 'peices' arranged on a grid layout with minor cosmetic changes. Also both games rule and are better for it.

Really the only bad part of Elden Ring is music outside of the boss battles and Caelid. That poo poo is sub-par and stretched way, way, way too thin. Every background track in the game is genuinely annoying by the time you're done with whatever area it plays in. The capital city in particular is unbelievably bad, it sounds like an orchestra imitating tinnitus.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

Someone hasn't seen the old school Armored Core controller grip

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I love horror movies and books but don't get into horror games too much, and the ones I have played generally haven't scared me all that much, but it's because of something about the game that just hits the "horror off" switch. Best example is Dead Space, which I loved but didn't find especially scary once I realized that I am essentially dismembering aliens with power tools. That's just too badass to make anything else scary.

An exception to the rule would be Amnesia though. That game was scary.

Most videogame horror doesn't work because you play as a badass, there's a big emphasis on high clarity to show off visuals and a need to shoot for the lowest common denominator to keep things accessible. I like Resident evil a lot, but it is way better at being silly than it ever will be at being scary.

Stuff like Amnesia or Subnautica actually end up being spooky because the devs had to squeeze blood out of a stone. In the process they figured out what Speilberg did - the Shark isn't scary when you see it up close, it's scary when you know you won't get a good look at it until it's too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

*turns chair backwards and sits down, crossing arms over the backrest*

Sekiro isn't fun. It feels like a modern day Dragon's Lair: press a button at the right time or die.

Sekiro isn't dragon's lair, it's like the OG release of Devil May Cry 3 and you're stuck with the Royal Gaurd style. Excellent third person action game, but really minimal RPG elements and really high difficulty. The prosthetics are like Megaman weapons in that there is a great all-purpose one for throwing metal blades that owns, and a bunch of others that are mostly just for specific bosses.

It's funny that everyone who plays the Souls games has a pretty reliable path through them and it always ends with them slamming into a brick wall with Sekiro because it just isn't an RPG. I could never really get Souls games and struggled with all of them, but for me Sekiro was a pretty breezy experience that only had a couple tough bits. But that's because I'm good at action games and bad at RPGs.
I seriously suck at RPGS. I honestly struggled more with act 1 in Baldurs Gate on the default difficulty than with the final act of Sekiro on hard difficulty. I genuinely can't understand having any trouble with Lady Butterfly, but I also kept getting murdered by stupid goblins because I can't read a stat sheet or figure out what the gently caress a "cantrip" is. So if you're just not feeling it, don't bother, it's an pure action game and there is really not a lot for you if the action isn't hooking you in.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 27, 2024