Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I've never gone out onto the surface but I pretty much figured the highest priority after establishing a safe EVA lock would be to build a heat sink system or two, lessening dependence on wheezeworts/magical space coolers.

e: which could easily be used to chill out the surface material. I also figured that this would be harder and more finicky than it seems, considering the asteroid's surface temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

How can any of you psychopaths stand having giant tanks of mixed clean and polluted water? Were none of you held or loved as babies?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There's a liquid filter which works more or less identically to the gas filter.

I've never noticed any ill effects from getting a little pisswater or clean water mixed in with the opposite, though I assume Wrong Fluid inputs are damaging to devices similar to how Wrong Gas fucks up your natural gas generators, though possibly not as apparently a sieve will accept clean water and output it warmer than before.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Smiling Demon posted:

Either sieve it or use it for things that need polluted water (pincha pepper plants, thimble reeds, fertilizer maker). Mostly though its water.

Most geysers won't power 2 or 3 generators on average, just in bursts.

Yeah, watch out with natural gas; when you break into and exploit a geyser cave it is almost certainly at maximum pressure and will have enough floating around that it is easy to fool yourself into running too many generators off of it, gradually depleting all of the reserves.

Also, less important but when I crack a highly pressurized environment I like to build a large sump or loft for the gas that escapes before the doors go up, to keep it generally contained for later cleanup. This also means I don't have to gently caress around with exploit-ish or overengineered airlock setups, just make sure there is still space for escaping gases to hang out in and remember to build reclamation infrastructure before the space runs out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, a Natty G geyser with enough uptime that you need to worry about overheating a gold gas pump isn't a problem, it is a god drat gift.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Pleads posted:

I just discovered a volcano directly next to an ice biome, the volcano is set to erupt in probably less time than I can get a suitable solution in place, and I'm so worried and excited to see what happens when an entire biome flash-melts directly above my base.

If there's an open access between that ice biome and your base, you probably want to hurry and dig a large sump chamber for all of the mixed p/clean water that's going to pour out of that poo poo. Bonus points for setting it up with a pump, filter, and exterior switching.

Up side: unless there's no abyssalite shell between them, or the accessway is at the very bottom of the ice biome, you probably have some time before crisis levels of flooding are present. Definitely make sure that your clean water tank(s) are out of the way of contamination. Getting pisswater into my clean water is one of, like, maybe three things which will make me want to save scum this game.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Did you make sure not to paint 30C hydrogen? It's the only thing I can think of.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I read about all the wide-ranging changes here and pulled up the experimental branch, started on the default asteroid first and was disappointed to find it was bog-standard but then restarted on the one which mentions trees.

Aluminum everywhere and the starting biome's filler mineral is Ingneous rock instead of soft sandstone, rust deposits visible but I only got a few days in so I have basic research, a musher, and the new version of the deoxidizer running on a single wheel and small battery.

First three dupes offered by the printer were lackluster but the consolation prize was 500kg of algae, this is why the deoxidizer. For sure I won't be able to run it regularly but between tunneling to pockets with Oxylite and 500kg of algae we will be able to breathe for weeks.

The different look and feel of the initial biome does a lot to change up that samey-start feeling from being in early access for so long, even though the tasks are mechanically and procedurally the same. I even have mealwood seeds (like 2 to start poo poo-tier farming with though instead of more than enough) and Bristle Blossom seeds (also 2-3 instead of the 6 ot whatever you can sustain with printing pod light) but the visual variety seems to be enough for my Gamer Brain.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I would like to report that Oxyferns DO NOT gently caress around.

I built a big closed-off bay to put initial power generation in, and I'm running two wood generators off of a smart battery right now. I slapped four ferns into the bottom, and this whole thing is already at the bottom of the base so it was lousy with CO2 before I closed it off and started burning.

5 cycles later, 2/3ds of the room is 4.5kg+/tile oxygen and the rest is 3kg+/tile CO2. Once I can pipe that poo poo around (and maybe cool it), it will be dope, but for now it looks pretty silly.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Arboria is a neat start, but you need to break out of the starting biome in order to access algae OR rust/salt for early oxygen.

Burning wood for power is not a great solution, even with a smart battery and logic conditions set. Access to coal also requires breaking through the Granite layer around the starting area, and it is pretty limited. Early Hatch ranching is probably indicated as a result.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been using oxyfern, but I suppose it depends on your definition of early? I am not many cycles in.

Oxyfern for sure doesn't gently caress around, once you get it planted and irrigated, but I guess by early I mean initial machinery.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No slime = no mushrooms, though?

So what are you doing in initial machinery? Rushing for a not-quite-granite-protected saltwater area? (In my latest map, you could just squeeze through gaps in the granite.)

Oxylite and oxyferns are your stopgap; you have to either find a way between granite deposits or slam Digging I onto one of your first skill-up and then beeline for rust and salt. 1-3 of the biomes adjacent to your start will be a rust/salt area and oxygen throughput per thermal unit on the rust -> oxygen machine is superior in every way to whatever the algae deoxidizer is called now.

A layer of chlorine on top of your CO2 sumps is a complication but dupe biology is chill with occasional chlorine exposure so until uou get to gas handling and atmospheric recirculation on a base-wide scale it can be let to just ride.

Lacking slime for mushrooms is a lot more of a concern. I also haven't found any bristle berries, though there is an unfamiliar Nosh Plant which can probably be cultivated for initial morale food.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 9, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Mazz posted:

Double post but I think I lucked into a very interesting Rime seed, worthy of another megabase.

Visible there are an oil reservoir, gold volcano, NG geyser, and a salt water geyser, basically the slush geyser of a rime map because it comes out at 30C.

I have a shitload more terraforming to do (and my people are on the edge of starving constantly because I can't prioritize while planning), but it's looking pretty interesting. Having to make heat instead of cold is a very novel mechanic for ONI and I like it a lot.

My big hurdle now is just getting a layout together than I won't feel the need to completely remake in 500 cycles, but I'm thinking that might be inevitable anyway.

Can I snag that seed? My Arboria run has an apparently-inevitable crash in cycle 154. I checked the map and found that the vents and geysers are mostly garbage and in bad spots so I'm not inclined to try and save it, or restart the map.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

hmm, neither pasting the number into the whole seedgen nor replacing just the text on a rime world worked. rip seedgen sharing for now

I'm not at my desk right now, but there was an option on the map gen screen that takes you into a detailed settings pane. The top right of that pane has the text field where you can drop that number.

I started a game on that seed when I got home from work last night and made it until about cycle 40. The cold is loving nuts, I have an insulated farm room containing two large dumb batteries, two space heaters, and 18 farm plots for mealwood which has gotten up to a mean temperature of 3C and change.

Fortunately bristle will grow at 5C, and I've had oxygen diffusers running on the barracks floor directly below the printer room and on the printer room floor, so those two rooms are the warmest spots at about 7C for the printer-lit farm and 12-13C for the barracks.

But yeah, I've confirmed it's the seed by having explored enough to reveal that natty-g vent before I passed out last night.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Does the whole machine need to be lit, the tile (or tiles) the dupe is occupying, or any part of the machine?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Mazz posted:

This oddness is the reason the water-over-vent trick works the way it does,

So I tried to use this on that seed you shared a couple days ago and it didn't work; at least one but sometimes as many as 4-5 'packets' of gas would pass through fine but then the fluid puddle would blink out. I tried leaving fluid on the vent tile and the two adjacent tiles and that worked for longer, and had a tendency to re-establish itself possibly due to flow-over from the other fluid tiles.

As I think of it now though I don't recall having more than 3-500g of fluid per tile. Is that the problem or did they potentially stealth fix the infinite gas pressure trick?

Regardless, I just tore that tank out and went with my old 'extremely huge closed room around the vent' to hold natty g instead of 'visually interesting room in structural dead space which is violently orange due to 25kg/tile pressure.'

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

Mazz already gave a more in depth answer but it would work exactly the same as it does now, just think of the intake as the "pump" bringing stuff into the pipe and the pump functioning like an outlet vent does now. You don't have to track pressure or force of suction because the game already doesn't track those and it works fine.

You and Mazz are both eliding the case where another pipe run links into your intake pipe run, or having a single pipe run split at the destination to run into two pumps, which as is would be required to use the full throughput of a gas pipe.

This is not insurmountable but the fact that Klei have had the option for the entire development cycle and went with what we have instead despite it being far more limited than the real HVAC systems it references and, way worse, fairly clunky, irritating, and micro intensive to work with in the game suggests to me that they view the way things currently work as sufficient.

I guess asking them directly about this and if they tried to implement the alternate system we are discussing during their initial builds would be a way to find out for sure.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So I thought more about this and probably the easiest, fastest, and most seamless way to attain what I think the ask is, would be to add another buildable with the appearance, footprint, and construction ease of a gas vent, but the cost, functionality, physical properties and hookups of a standard 2x2 pump.

The problems to solve that I see and can't address myself due to never even looking into ONI mods:

Can a reskin of a device into a different footprint and appearance be accomplished by mods?
If so, can the gas output, power input, and whatever backend property that lets the pump interact with the local atmosphere be located on the same tile?
If not make it a 2- or 3x1; this would require a little art and a compromise on the ask, though I feel a small one.

As for simulating the centralized HVAC system, I have less solid ideas for that. The actual pumps are still onsite, just easier and more convenient to move around and fit into poo poo, but I do agree that graduating to building a big central air handling system would be boss. This is a reach, but an unlockable second tier of gas pipes with 2-5x throughput volume. You have another modded pump in your room-temperature oxy storage, this one with 4-10x greater throughput, delivering to your gas handling utility nodes via 'backbone' or 'gas main' pipes which distribute through normal pipes. Big question here is can a device have multiple output hookups? Multiple gas-suction input tiles so that it isn't limited to the mass per tile in the storage room?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

Is it worth worrying about snoring before you get the ability to make plastic beds?

The dupes who sleep cheek-to-jowl with the snorer will wake up every morning with a debuff for being woken up constantly. I've always isolated them from other sleepers; I find one or two isn't too bad, you can slide them in at the end of a barracks or tuck a 2-bed barracks with the correct spacing into a leftover chunk of real estate. So I will take one or two if they're going to be a big help right away.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Mazz posted:

A tiny layer of clean water on top of polluted water actually stops the polluted water from offgassing so depending on application it can actually be a good thing.

No level of utility could possibly compensate for the abomination of mixed fluids!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

I've been using one smart battery per transformer to turn off the transformer for a long time out of habit formed when heat production was a massive base-killer and heat deletion was not as robust (or I was stupider). Is that still a smart thing to be doing?

Once you convert over to refined-metal wire that puts you at one battery per 2kw circuit, so seems legit to me.

e: also I still automate deactivating transformers like you so put me in for "smart"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I have hundreds of hours in this game but have just gotten past cycle 300 for the first time. I embarked on the Irregular Oil/Slime Pockets ice seed which Mazz shared like a month or two ago, one with relatively easy natural gas down and to the left, with a gold volcano, regular volcano, and oil reservoir also generally in that direction.

I've got a basic heating system sending 10kg/s of 60C salt water into a loop around the base, for 5% of the day. Elaborations on this loop have also melted a bunch of ice in place to preserve the mass vs mining. Both the 5% loop and 95% cutoff feed into two desalinators, for 70% of the salt I need to feed the next setup. There's another pair of desalinators feeding directly from the primary containment of a salt water geyser, so I'm banking 400g/s of salt. Important because the warming loop is sourced from 240 cycles worth of spilled salt water which will run out eventually.

I've got 4 rust deoxydizers in an over engineered sealed room, fed rust and salt by conveyors plonking it onto weight sensors, a conveyor loader for the Iron Ore, a loader arm to wrangle everything, two pairs of two gas pumps automated to ventilate just under the lowest barracks, and the chlorine pump which picks up about 200g of oxygen every time it activates leads to a dumping pit which in the last 20 circles has become Just Outside.

That's the big deal, for only the second time I have dupes in suits. I kept three Dreckos through short lives where in total I was able to shear enough fibers for three whole suits, and now all of the really cold and hot poo poo is taken care of by specific dupes.

I've got a cold slush geyser mostly contained to finish up, then I'm taking a look at oil refining and plastics for the very first time. Interior dupes just finished mining the starting biome down to the abysallite and creating a fuckoff huge CO2 sump cavern which I'm going to scrub out, so I can pump out more oxygen without high-pressure vents.

Then, I'm building a practice aquatuner and turbine system, before trying to contain and harness a volcano to drive more turbines. I feel like I'm actually getting into the midgame this time instead of restarting ~

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So all of my material storage is stuffed into gaps, crevices, and service gangways on what is now the Inside of the base. Since I have so few suits, my crew of primary haulers can't work while the builders and diggers do their thing, and even if I had suits for them, changing on the way out and back in still slows things down.

I have some basic ideas on approaches for Interior and Exterior working inventories, but they are elaborate and nebulously rely on assumptions about a bunch of systems I've barely interacted with. How do y'all approach this?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

I need to start doing things on a small scale first. I'm nervously watching my algae tick down while I build a long term farm and power plant.

Now I just need to build my massive gas circulator and I can start on my SPOM.

Oh , and dig out some massive water tanks.

I'm definitely gonna run out of air.

Slap down a deoxidizer or an electrolyzer just in the open and let it run while you figure poo poo out. You will wind up with clouds of chlorine or hydrogen, and it will pull eventual overheating closer to your time horizon, but also it will take the strain off your algae stores and give you dozens more cycles to nail down your SPOM and gas handling before your dupes start dropping.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I have pipe runs in my base which have been part of 4-5 different systems before some new need or idea for a revision led me to turn something off, empty it, and then tear out/rebuild things.

As of right now there are four different areas with pipes or ducts which are connected to nothing, remnants of superfluous or outgrown systems.

Basically what I am saying is, dehumanize yourself and face to spaghetti. That poo poo is way faster to deconstruct and rebuild than starting a new embark.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Should we brainstorm an ONI version of :xcom: now?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

My first set of really big clean/pisswater tanks, way way back in Early Acess on like my third embark were one tile wide and broke open, flooding my base first in clean then in polluted water while I was working damage control by just digging another clean water tank where all the water went.

Ever since I have always used double-walled tanks if I am storing more than 18-20 tiles of a fluid and I have never had the problem again!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Beccara posted:

OMG Gas compressor's are awesome. Screw dealing with storage tanks!

Counterpoint: pretty colors.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Welp, paused yesterday evening on cycle 620ish to go outside and smoke, then wound up going to bed with the computer on and the game paused. I don't like to do that but will occasionally from laziness.

Woke up, got kids ready and sent to school, then sat down to put the finishing touches on the installation of the containment/pump room for my second natural gas geyser. Turns out I did not pause, it's cycle 738, 34/35 of my dupes are dead, so are the 8 ranches of various Hatch mutations, coal and petroleum are exhausted, and the colony has dropped from 1.3 million kcal of food available to 4,200 kcal of meal lice.

There's one dupe still left, research tree is done except for space stuff (I had just tunneled up to visual range of the surface when I found the extra natty g pocket elsewhere and went to focus on that since petroleum power was using fuel slightly faster than I was making it), gas and fluid handling systems are established, and other than the petro generators being destroyed after having been fed crude until they died power infrastructure is in place. I kiiiiind of want to try salvaging it from that point. Kind of.

There is a non-autosave file, as well, but it is from the night before last and wound wind up with the colony needing to repeat a good 6-10 play hours of progress. I could also opt to restart on the seed; it would let me beeline to the two natural gas pockets, for one, which are both near small single-reservoir oil biomes; could break into steel and plastic by cycle 200 instead of 400. Mostly I'm just frustrated at being foolish enough to have done this.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a good way to remodel and move portions of my base? I want to make it more compact because I'm tired of seeing the "long commutes" warning.

I don't know about a "good" way; everything needs to be deconstructed, reconstructed, and then swept.

I had vague plans to construct a brand-new, swanky residential section built around shortening travel times and maximizing decor bonuses while minimizing the volume which needs oxygenation and climate control, on the game I left unpaused overnight. In terms of fitting fluid and gas handling infrastructure for it, going to a place with zero pipes or ducts instead of trying to thread them through existing chaos makes sense to me.

I was planning on deconstructing the contents of the old rooms but leaving the structure intact; a single or small number of suit-equipped exits would make everywhere not in the new living area a suit-only zone with no habitability reason to juggle temperatures and gases. The Mazz-es of the thread report very good results if this approach can be managed.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Biggest gently caress up so far was not realizing the sieve passes germs through and trying to fix it with a tepidizer, thus baking my whole base when it got too hot to shut off.

As the prophecy demands.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There’s a gas bottler which you can hook up to a ventilation line to provide an on-demand can of whatever is hooked up, which can be hauled like other objects. I thought it was vanilla, I have never run with mods past trying airlock doors which block gas circulation.

Seems weird there wouldn’t be a liquid version of that, either in vanilla or in whatever mod I picked up which has it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Smiling Demon posted:

The steam turbine also spits 10% of the heat it removes out in its local vicinity. Not in the steam or output water but the turbine itself. You need to keep the turbine below 100C or it stops working. You'll probably need to use an aquatuner to do this without some clever engineering.

I have a lava-heat-sourced four-turbine build that I put together without even any deaths, in the oldest successful embark I’ve ever played in this game, and to practice for that I set up a power-negative two-turbine build with three aquatuners as the heat source, and actually wound up running a coolant line which chills all six turbines, hits a tuner, runs past all of the industrial and environmental warm spots in the base, hits the other two tuners, and then vents back into the coolant pool around a cool pisswater geyser. Coolant comes back at -2 to 0 C, comes out of the holding pool at 3 to 7 C, due to some heat bleed from an exploited oil biome.

In operation for almost 200 cycles and the volcano is not keeping up with the heat demand from four turbines, so I need an alternative within another 400 cycles, but when tuned up the cooling setup is only running at like a 600-watt deficit and the main turbines are consistently running at full also with tune-ups, so plenty of surplus juice plus cooling for the base and the other power plants.

Everything about cabling and piping in that base is a loving nightmare, though. My next project is a purpose-built habitation block with mandatory suit wearing outside, as has often been discussed here.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Hydrogen goes up and Chlorine goes down (unless there's a lot of CO2 around for the latter). Put a pump at the top or bottom respectively and build an airlock to contain it before you break the last stone.

Right now I'm pumping Chlorine through a filter to a pair/triplet of tanks in my clean water tank because water has been tight on this map so I can't be picky about germy sources.

Wait, if you submerge containers full of Chlorine in a same-size vat of germy water, it purifies it same as if you hand tanked germy water in a chlorine room?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Well, gently caress me. At least I have that one bin of bleachstone?

My water is still germ-free though as I've been extremely diligent with my sources. 90+ cycles with no food poisoning. I'm about to hit slime in every direction though.

So to be specific, this thread has had in our tribal knowledge that if you research liquid storage tanks, and build some in a chlorine atmosphere, germy fluid inside the tank will be gradually be decontaminated, because a chlorine atmosphere has the property of gradually killing any germs on anything within that tile.

I got confused and thought someone was claiming that the converse would happen as well, with chlorine tanks immersed in fluid, but it seems it was just vague wording and it doesn’t work that way.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I have a mod that lets me build natural tiles out of dirt, and it was a well lit room with plenty of space. Maybe the mod's version of the tile doesn't count for some reason.

Could test this by digging out some of those tiles and using the console to paint unmodded dirt tiles.

I’ve never fuxed with Pips so I at least would be interested to know.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Okay, so it looks like I slipped a decimal in the math about my previously-reported four-turbine volcano-heat powerplant, and instead of lasting for another 400 cycles it was 40. My magma reservoir is now a chunk of somewhat-warm igneous rock which I haven't bothered to dig out yet, now a couple hundred cycles after retiring the turbines.

Instead I turned that grace time provided by tanked natural gas and petroleum to finally get around to building my bespoke pressurized habitat for 32 dupes; 15 toilets and hand sanitizers in three bathrooms, two shower rooms of the same length for a total of 22 showers, 32 individual 4x4 bedrooms with comfy beds and diamond Aero Pots, an empty floor for an expansion bathroom and another with space to build another 8 bedrooms into it, Great Hall with 32 tables, water cooler, and fridges (can seat 40 if the food storage is moved in advance), Rec Room with some cool poo poo, an empty floor intended to be the kitchen when I get around to moving it, plus an oversized utility area and some other empty space against future needs. All encased in igneous insulated tiles, with a 32-dock suit checkpoint at the top and transit tube station just outside.

I've gone through several iterations of ventilation; when the structure was being built (and then rebuilt when I finally caught that a 2x6 room with a comfy bed and a painting is still a Barracks) it was in the shell of a biome I had dug through and hollowed out for Rust, full of medium-pressure spillover oxygen and hydrogen, with a mean temperature of -10C. First I just diverted the output of two oxygen machines (not self-powered or optimized, just two pumps in a sealed room with an electrolyzer) to the area; during construction this wound up raising the mean temperature quite a bit, and as the Bedrooms were prepared I started moving dupes into them and bulldozing the old barracks. I had all the service rooms functioning and the structure inhabited for about 50-60 cycles before finally finishing the initial oxygen lines and sealing the whole thing up.

I even cleverly broke up the 32 docks into groups of 8 for oxygen delivery, wound up with the structure down to about 200g/tile pressure, then realized I'd accidentally used bridges to prioritize filling suits over pumping the habitat up to standard vent pressure. Four cycles of that and now so little O2 is going to the suits that I've got 20+ dupes idle at midday; so turn off the suit dock. There's still fucktons of oxygen out there, and the reverse-rusting room I set up back in cycle 200 or something is set up to constantly run and spew O2 into the old living spaces, so that it can provide some Iron Ore for the smooth hatches to eat.

Dupes explode out of the airlock and overwhelm the tube system, tear through all the exterior tasks, and now I've got four oxygen machines, each with its own standard vent in the Hab being preferentially fed, and each splitting the rest of its flow into the suit docks. It's cycle 1083, half of the suits are full again, 300,000 kcal of Mushrooms stored plus 1,800,000 kcal of Fried Mushrooms, we're staring down the barrel of an energy crisis, and also I don't have a cooling system in place for the Hab. Once those are solved, though, I'm placed to actually try space stuff for the first time!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What will happen when you have no more dirt for your mealwood? Admittedly it only really became a foreseeable issue for me when I started farming sleet wheat, but trying to solve even the hypothetical point-at-infinity sustainability problems this game hands you is part of the fun for me.

Well, if the mealwood fails and there’s no replacement food source, the tamed Dreckos eventually starve, cutting off the supply of Fibers and also of Glossy Dreckos, which produce Plastic without the need to refine crude oil. By the time that happened you would have large stockpiles of both materials.

With a replacement food supply, the odds of being able to sustain the Glossy population due to mutation chances goes down, so Plastic supply is choked off over a much longer time horizon.

There are some ways to create dirt, apparently in the Tree Trees -> lumber -> ethanol chain which I haven’t personally dug into; you would probably have to be producing an incredible amount of ethanol to sustain a Sleet Wheat farm, but the 7-8 plots of mealwood a single Drecko ranch needs? As long as you don’t fill up your ethanol storage you can probably sustain that.

I’ve never been to space but I understand that other nonrenewable resources can be brought back from places, so I’ve always vaguely assumed I could go soil raiding if I needed to, as well.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nrook posted:

Can dupes have fun and hang out in atmo suits? I'm thinking about just sealing off my living quarters.

Mine used surfboard simulators regularly wearing suits, before I got the rec area built into my hab module online.

It kind of makes sense that they wouldn’t be able to like get massages in suits, and eat or drink without opening their helmets, but still be able to like surf or play video games, but that’s just my reasoning based on the idea of environment suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I seem to stall on power generation. I don't use a lot, mostly for my research and grill, lights above both on motion sensors, a single water pump, and o2. I eventually run out of coal, and hydrogen is a nightmare to manage. Tips?

Dig for Natural Gas vents, block them off in fairly large contained spaces with two gas pumps, and pump the room out to vacuum while the vent is dormant (or run the output through a filter set to Natural Gas, pipe the filtered output to your generator room and vent everything else), and set the Gas generators via automation to run preferentially over the coal generators. You will exhaust your Natural Gas every vent production cycle, but for that time you won’t be burning coal.

For more coal, capture and ranch Hatches; they eat various minerals and poo poo coal. There are mutations which eat excess biomass and poo poo coal, eat slightly different minerals in exchange for higher coal rates, and one which eats raw metal ore and shits half the mass as the refined version of that same ore, without producing the same heat that the smelter does.

Past that, research Petroleum Generators and how to refine wood from Arbor Trees into ethanol; turns out the Petroleum Generator will happily burn ethanol, a fact which I don’t think is mentioned in the game anywhere. You can also refine Crude Oil into Petroleum and burn that but the refining process requires dupe work-hours; the oil well structures also need to be periodically soothed by dupes otherwise they break down.

Also if you haven’t snagged the middle skill in the Mechatronics Engineering line, do so; with this skill and generators enclosed in a room with a power station, and access to refined metal, your dupe will make circuit boards at the station and shove them into the generators, causing them to produce more power for the same input.