Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Only been playing a couple of months, but have a couple of interesting ways to deal with early-mid game base issues that might help.
With power, you can do a LOT more than most people seem to do, you just need to understand the mechanics. I don't run a single power brick yet (I plan to do so when I get enough space/time), instead I have multiple small power generating areas, but these can feed into the main base power room using transformers. This lets you have small power plants near stuff like natural gas geysers/excess energy from SPOM, without having to centralise everything yet.
To feed out, you just need a transformer wired up with automation to a smart battery with a NOT gate. When the battery is full, the transformer is on allowing 1kW to be sent out. The receiving power grid then just needs an incoming transformer and feed it onto its heavi-watt spine. When power in the first drops too low, the transformer will shut off and allow the power to build up again - this prevents my SPOM from backing up hydrogen for example.
You can also run 2kW by attaching 2 transformers to a conductive wire, and having a single heavy transformer at the other end to draw off 2kW. Basically, think of transformers as a combination of one way valve and rate limiter. However - the mechanics get a bit funky if you want to split this transmitted power between destinations. I ended up needing a small amount of power in my oil biome, so I tapped off the main branch, added a transformer and then batteries on the other side. However, the main power spine appeared to suck up all the juice from my transmission so the batteries never charged. I had to add a shutoff on a 10 second timer on/off timer, when it was off the other branch got power, and a large battery was enough to buffer the power so the final destination always had juice. I couldn't see any logic to which transformer gets to suck the power first so a sturdier system should switch between destinations properly instead of just turning the dominant one off like I did.
I've now started a new base since then in Arboria, and I've tried to keep as bunch of the original soil tiles & plants around my central ladder between toilets/food area. A couple of strategic doors and some wild pips to add more plants meant it now classifies as a nature reserve, which is an instant +6 morale for everyone every day. It's seriously awesome and can be done by cycle 20-30. Add in great hall, bedroom, washroom bonuses, and I have had no morale problems so far without even thinking about decor or better food.

Buddy bud plants work better than deodorisers for clearing slime lung from the air. Always plant one near the main entrance/exits from the base, and a few placed between deodorisers as you clear a slime biome can scrub the air 10x faster than just deodorisers alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do people have tips for Verdante? Even setting up wells full of oxyfern, I just can't keep going.

I'm doing Verdante atm. and I'm not finding it too bad to be honest.
All the oxyferns at the bottom of the base, now in hydroponic tiles with a pressure sensor in the middle of the base. Strip down a swamp biome to supply algae terrariums, stick a deodoriser above them and let the polluted water sit there for bonus oxygen and I'm up to 12 dupes at cycle 70 with no electrolyser in sight. I'm actually having overpressure problems tbh.

I also left as many soil tiles around as possible in the starting area for pip-planted wild arbor trees that feed ethanol distillers and the basic power plant. CO2 is my main problem. 3 carbon skimmers, a ranch full of slicksters, and now 2 gas pumps and a very long pipe sending it to space, but the constant renewable power means you can sieve the polluted water from the swamp biomes so water's not an issue any more.

I did use Tools Not Included to get a seed with glaciers and a cool slush geyser (which I've only just found and it's bloody miles away) so I have some primitive cooling, but having played now I suspect I could have used another rust biome to cool my ethanol trickle for the nosh beans. Not that I really need them, I have 500,000+ kcals of mushrooms and pip eggs sitting around, but I'm hoping to build up a sustainable line of spicy tofu eventually.

I never even considered tuning the generators tho. Was a bit wary of consuming the refined metal (though does it work with lead, cos I have lots of that).

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

To clean it after it's cool, you can always make a room with an input in the bottom, a row of air tiles, a row of deodorisers on top, and then 2 or 3 buddy bud plants above them to fill the room before you start pumping it in. The deodorisers will pull the polluted oxygen from underneath and the 1-germ-type-per-tile will kill all the slimelung in the upper section.
Gas temperature needs to be low enough not to kill the plants though.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Edit: This is a later glossy farm that uses suits sorry, but its a lovely simple early design I found on the net the once and can't refind the original. Works lovely tho.

Top area breeds them and keeps them happy, extra eggs get shipped to bottom where they get 1 or 2 shears after hatching before they die and become BBQ. The trick is - hunger doesn't stop scale growth! I'm up to 35 tons of plastic from it in 150 cycles.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 27, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ah sorry - misread, the post. Pre-suits you need something like the mk 1 drecko suite:

The top tile was for a wheezewort as I was getting heat issues killing the mealwood. Just fill some canisters from whatever pockets of hydrogen you find to fill the top area. and you should get a whole bunch of fibre before they go glossy

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Natural gas/petrol generators also produce polluted water, and lots of it. e.g. Arbor trees->ethanol->generator->ph20->trees is water positive enough to grow a couple of reeds as well. Reeds seem to use up a lot of water too, far more than trees, so dreckos are probably the best way to bridge the gap until you get petrol/natgas going. And you can get pretty far on just 1 or 2 reeds planted early and left for many cycles. I usually find the refined metal is more effort for the early suits.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I have some pip ranches which I supply with acorns so they plant them up, then any overflow get sent to small rooms around the place with open doors into areas I want planted. Have a storage container in the room you want planted with the seeds in, and the pips will empty the container and plant the seeds around the place. Apparently you can improve the odds by covering all but the rightmost areas with ladders just above the soil to block the planting. Once a seed is planted, delete 2 ladders from the right, and they should plant another in the revealed area.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ok, I finally got to the point where everything I do generate heats and I screwed up my food production. gently caress. The biggest offenders seem to be the desalinator of the hot salt water geyser, and my crude oil production equipment. What do I do? Do I move all of my industry into an icy biome and make sure that only people in suits are able to access them so they can operate for extended periods of time without having to resurface or care what they're breathing? Basically that way I can treat the outside world as a dumpster of gas and heat, and have a safe inside that's got both oxygen and the perfect temperature and decor?

Check out Francis Johns guide to 'getting over the mid-game hump'.
Essentially, it's just about making a jump to steel/plastic production, which lets you make aquatuners and steam engines, which is the main mechanical way to cool things via heat-deletion. Now he uses a trip to the oil biome to kick-start it, but on my latest base I have many small oil biomes, so hardly any diamond or free oil to do it with. Instead, the initial 1200 steel you need to make the first aquatuner can easily be made just using just a large tank of pwater from a swamp biome. As long as it is <40 degrees going into the refinery, it won't boil, and as long as the tank is like 10x10 or bigger it won't get too hot after 12 runs. You also need some plastic for the turbine, so either a small glossy drecko farm or a plastic press if you have the oil anyway.
That first aquatuner makes the cooling for a proper industrial setup including cooling for all your machines/power, and then the next thing is to make a second aquatuner/turbine setup to cool your base/farm/oxygen supply, then you should be pretty much sorted for heat management.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

A spom will generate more hydrogen that it needs to run, but probably won't be running all the time. This can back up the hydrogen unless you bleed off the excess. A good way is to use a pipe bridge to the generators, and an overflow from the input for when the generators are full going to a storage. It's good to have in case something goes wrong when you are not looking as you can then vent the storage back into the generators to kick start the spom again (learnt this the hard way).
Also, you can bleed off excess power by having a smart battery wired to a transformer. When the battery is full, it enables the transformer and you can send 1kW off to your main power bank. When the battery level drops to <50% or so shut it off.

Edit: AETNs and electrolysers work ok. I built one version around an AETN, and it works with 2 electrolysers ok. If you stack the electrolysers well above the AETN, and only draw oxygen down you might be able to cool 3 at once. A much better way is use the AETN to drive a temperature controlled Ph20 chiller box (using a steel door as a heat valve). Keep this at the temperature you want the final oxygen to be (remembering that atmo suits are fine with 80 degree O2 so half the O2 doesn't even need cooling) and I had enough chill left over to also chill ~300g/s of water from my cool steam vent to be fed into the base supply.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 2, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I found the safest way to aquatune stuff is make a small metal lined 'icebox' full of pwater with a short pipe through the aquatuner and a temperature sensor just before the intake. All other cooling then loops through separate cooling loops that run under the metal tiles around it and keep circulating on their own. that way the icebox drains as much heat from the cooling loops and the aquatuner just safely works on chilling the one small area. In my SPOM setup, I have a second icebox connected by a steel door and a thermal sensor for 25 degrees, and while the icebox gets down to 5 degrees or so, the oxygen cooling part maintains a near-perfect 25 degree output. The same single aquatuner coolbox also runs a cooling loop around the SPOM and a chilled 500g/s water feed to a row of oxyferns down in the depths of the bases CO2 dump. Enough to run 20 dupes without pressure problems.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I finally made my first petrol boiler, woo! It's a mix of 2 designes I've seen, so simpler than John Francis, no autominer needed!

Steam room is kept >700 degrees just by using a timer circuit (1 second open, 25s closed) and the temperature sensor (plus another AND gate to a manual switch just for controlling the startup). There is a second sensor in the steam chamber wired to the water inlet from the original design that is supposed to limit the upper temperature, but pulsing the magma input seems to work better, and should be more magma-efficient. The magma cools in the mesh, transferring most of the heat diagonally to diamond shift plates, then drops hot rocks into the puddle of molten lead/aluminium (which really helps transfer the heat to the steel crucible).
If I was doing it again, I'd make the lava drop a few tiles bigger so the heater block was further from the top of the output run, as this thing is just too drat efficient. I don't have the generators to use all this petrol yet, so it sits idle and heats up the top row enough to start boiling the oil in the pipes.

Edit: The other reason for this design is if the magma builds up over time, I can add a steam room/turbine on the left and start drawing extra heat out for power. Once I get space materials, then a version with an autosweeper inside to pick up the cool (700 degree) rocks and extract even more heat, but that might be going a bit far.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 15, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Thanks, tho if I was doing it again, I would make the magma door lie flat with a 1-tile wide tube for the magma to drop through. There's some untidiness when the door closes in the current one, but i was pushed for vertical space cos I accidentally built my metal refinery right below this before I found it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So, I now have a whole bunch of heat to use, and I'm at the stage where I have too much mixed up water in too many places. Would it be mad to make a steam turbine chamber that uses a 200 degree petroleum feed (from my crucible, just add another heating block&door system) and then pump in whatever dirty/germy water to be insta-boiled, and then take the pure water condensed steam from the turbines as the output, cooling it with an aquatuner that is also in the steam box? A volcano powered super-sieve/power plant.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Jinnigan posted:

Is there a design post/doc I can look at for a SPOM Mk III?

Francis John explains all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KzD2c6EQ7I

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

My volcano-powered super sieve is live and working! Generating just over 1kW +4kg/s of pure germ-free water at ~45 degrees, plus a bunch of salt/soil:

Massively overcomplicated what it needs in the end. The aquatuner isn't needed at all, and neither is the left-most water vent. It behaves so much better dropping the incoming water right by the heated end of the steam box, and the auto-sweeper only has 3 or 4 piles to pick up.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Bold Robot posted:

Will autosweepers fertilize plants or only pick up what they drop? I'm curious if I can make my mushroom operation completely hands-off.

Yes they will! I have a row of oxyferns deep under my base that get autofed soil quite happily.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Here's mine that I've just finished:

Simpler than the autominer one. The steel lined 'crucible' triggers the magma door to open if it drops below 700 (ANDed with a timer that holds it open for one second and closed for 15 so there is time for it to react to the lava drop before it calls for more). The second door is tuned to heat the conversion spot to 403. I used steel metal tiles, which are too conductive. I suspect iron would work fine, and not bounce so much. The door only shuts for a second but it spikes to like over 420 degrees in that time.
I also had pipe damage problems if I didn't have it running, but left oil in the pipes, so now I keep the outlet always open and just don't pump oil if I don't have the space for the petrol, and it is happy to sit there with empty pipes until needed.
Obsidian insulation everywhere that lava can touch! You really don't want uncontrolled lava leaks.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 28, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Cease to Hope posted:

Verdante starts with a bunch of Oxyferns. Plant those at the bottom of your colony and be very careful about increasing your dupe count until you're ready to set up rust oxydizers or electrolyzers.
I'm on Verdante at the moment, and survived a surprisingly long time on oxyferns and algae terrariums. Cleaning out slime zones and leaving tons of deodorisers around gives plenty more free oxygen, but you do need to hurry to make enough steel to build a aquatuner/turbine cooler early, then plumb in a Spom off a steam vent. Bonus points if you do this down in the CO2 pit, then you can use the same cooler to chill a small fraction of the vent water for hydroponic oxyferns.
A rock crusher and a random pool of PH2O for cooling the metal refinery is all you need to make the first 1200kg of steel, and then life gets much easier.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Would anybody care to post a screenshot of one of their oxyfern sumps in a Verdante seed? If I stack tiers of plants, the upper ones stop working because of the oxygen for the lower ones. However, a single tier of oxyfern has to be really wide to have any effect.
Here's mine:

I have 4 other oxyferns in another small sump on the other side of the map.
The main thing to consider is this isn't pumped oxygen, so consider how the oxygen will float up into the base. I try to keep 5-wide airflow routes it can go up (air tiles), otherwise you find it collecting up and pressurising a small area at the bottom.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Someone was asking about petrol boilers and shutdown earlier. Here's my latest creation. It's had an oil backup, a sour gas accident, and a steam incident that have been all been cleaned up, so I've pretty much left access to all the important parts. Currently running at 6kg/s, but you can turn them off as long as you do it from the bottom as shown here:

I'm using the pliers mod which makes things so much easier - the top row has the parallel lines of insulated & radiant piping which can be tuned with no dupe interaction so that you don't get any oil flashing while it sits in the pipes.

Edit: This is a volcano powered one - obsidian insulation and steel doors are all the tech you need to make it, tho aluminum for the pipes is a nice to have.

Edit2:
I found the worst bit about space was having rockets smash stuff up repeatedly, so I now use:

(Not 100% error free, but much better than nothing)

Red cable on the right goes to the scanner, the green cable next to it is off to a 3second filter gate then a second gantry (ignore the switch on that line!)
The top switch is the launch control. Don't forget to turn it back to red unless you want the rocket to fly a repeated harvesting runs.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 9, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Don't get too many dupes. Stick with initial 3 until you get basics ready, then maybe add a new one every 10 cycles. Having 6 by cycle 60 is usually about how I go, and no more than that until you are off algae/starter oxygen unless you know what you are doing. Do not fear the algae terrarium & mess of the early base. Any >1k oxygen or polluted oxygen is just fine to breath until you are ready to start strip mining swamp biomes & the slimelung can make the PO an issue. When in doubt, strip mine out - expanding usable area, getting resources (geysers), and giving space for water/co2/hydrogen to go away from the main habitable zone is good.
Morale is easy to deal with if you plan a great hall (>40 tiles I think, mess tables, a potted plant, and a switched off water cooler) = +6 morale for everyone, and most early morale problems are gone.
If you have a patch of 4 wild plants close to each other, plan the center of the main staircase between and 2 of food store/mess hall/toilet area, so everyone has to walk through it daily, and declare it a nature reserve. The plants don't even need to be growing, 4 wilted abominations in a tile-lined alcove is enough for another +6 morale and your stress problems will be history til late game.
Once you are happy for spoilers, I really recommend zooming through Francis Johns mini-base game. He shows how little you actually need to go from the start to the very end.

Edit: Ooh, and schedules!
Add lots of schedules, each offset 2 hours from each other. Then assign 1 dupe to each one, and then you only need 2 toilets/sinks (and its only 2 so one can be getting cleaned while the other is in use, which is the most common reason it messes up.) Also make sure the priorities are set so someone is high priority to clean them, but disable the disinfect on them, it just wastes time.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 15, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its not going super well because im running out of algae. i think the oxygen diffuser eats too much of it or something.

You are only running out of algae cos you haven't mined it all - I can see a massive lump in the top right past the water sieve.
Looks like a pretty good start (but stop accepting new dupes until about cycle 50 now!), just get digging and tame a water source!
Piping water through a cold biome is fine at the start to cool it down.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Always pick animals, they appear wild and unless you upset them they will live a full life, lay a single egg, and die. providing you with an occasional free meal and some eggshell (useful later). Embrace the chaos and mess. everything is temporary and can be rebuilt later...

Here's what my current base is like with DLC at cycle 107 (restarted last week to try with radiation update affecting research).

Every piece of water is contaminated with germs. Don't care, noone drinks the stuff anyway. I'm only just about starting to deal with PO but it's not really much of a problem (offgassing is your friend). Occasional sneeze, but the little buggers are sparkle-streaking and super-productivising their way around anyway so shrug. Just started nuclear research to get solar panels and glass forges then we will kick into gear. I don't care about sealing the base either. Mealwood is only ever temporary food at best. Just plant a second field somewhere colder right now. Excess food is better than not enough. Hatches are good option to think about, and once you get reliable water/energy then bristle blossoms are nice too (but also temperature sensitive). I love the floral scent, the way germs work, it acts as a anti-bacterial screen for your base. I try to cover habitation in floral scent where possible (and avoid ever taking allergic dupes. That's a trait worthy of a long walk out a short airlock for me I'm afraid)

Here's my second base, which is closer to where you are, but only 3 dupes so much easier to survive:

I have very little water, but I use very little. I'm mostly surviving on found muckroot (aim to dig up all the buried objects!), foraged wild plants (only dig them up if you absolutely must), and bristle blossoms grown in the free light of the pod, though I did recently added a light bulb to shine on 3 wild ones which is a decent enough trade for water-free food. I have 10t or so of usable algae, so that's going to be my first major problem but 10t is plenty if I start considering the problem now.

It's all messy, and unsustainable, but in a slow-crash kind of way that's ok as I know where it's heading, so it's all temporary at this stage. There are techs & materials out there that permanently 'solve' the main problems you have, so you just need to be running ahead of the disaster curve(s) towards the longer solutions.
Research and exploration is the way forward, not worrying over base layout and optimising sustainability yet. I didn't even set up a proper bathroom loop until after cycle 50. Lavatories and washbasins are absolutely fine for a long time.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 16, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I had a volcano powered petrol boiler that was building up lava even running full whack so I added a 2 turbine counterflow water purifier. A sump at the bottom where dupes could chuck in polluted/salt/whatever, it gets pumped up into the steam chamber, out through the turbines and counterflow to heat the incoming water and out as cool clean water the other end. Did have issues with soil/sand turning to tiles occasionally tho, so needed autominer/sweeper and counterflow solids to cool them down too, but overall as a ridiculous self-powered crap to clean water + salt/sand/dirt + power, it was kinda cool.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

One early thing that really helps with heat - set up a loooooong loop of polluted water in normal pipes all around your base/farms, and down into the water sump where you stick some radiative piping. Once full it takes no power to circulate as long as you have some bridges (always add a bridge at 90 degree turns if you cam, you will thank me later for them) and it will even out the heat all the way around your base and the water sump. A small extension into a cold biome then becomes your main early-mid-game cooling, and when you do get plastic/steel for the advanced stuff, just cooling the main water tank is sufficient to control the whole base.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TommyGun85 posted:

Im around Cycle 130, I have 6 dupes and Im not currently consuming any natural water for anything other than research.

I'd like to set up some ranching and hydroponic farms, but first Im trying to capture some geysers, which is where everything is falling apart.

Ive got natural gas generators off a geyser producing power and storing the polluted water. I also have a water geyser and cool steam vent which Im tapping to store water. I want to start cooling it down with aquatuners and steam turbines but the issue Im having is getting the materials.

Setting up the process for steel and plastic end up skyrocketing the ambient temperatures on my base. Any tips for how to get started, like what order should I do these things?
Watch Francis John video on 'how to get past the mid-game hump', it sounds like you are at the exact point it is about.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You leave my +6 morale boost alone!

I'm currently trying to cobble together a small magma powered petrol boiler using some ideas I saw on the Klei forums:

Realised I need to move my magma release door up a tile and have at least 2 mesh tiles vertically, else the igneous rock could pop out the top instead of going into the steam chamber. Anyway, the idea is a concentrated counterflow. Each 2x2 cobalt tile block is part of a 3x3 thermal area using conductive & air bridges to make a channel of conductive matter the petrol has to flow past. I'm hoping it's a more efficient (volcano produces pathetic amounts of magma) and in a smaller space, tho now it's cleared out more I could totally fit a normal counterflow one in and use half the amount of cobalt. But I want to see if this works now, so maybe another 50 or so cycles and it should be ready to turn on.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Yeah, the door is at the end of a 10tile long finger of magma through a 1 tile gap, it drops 50-100kg of magma, and the door is on a timer to only open for 1 second then stay closed for 9 while the temps settle down a bit. I plan to run the steam chamber at @700 degrees, one of the temp plates is lead so that should coat the bottom in a nice layer of conductive liquid to speed things along. I'm just short of magma at the moment. But thanks to the post above, I'm reminded that I can make a little moon pool and bottle some in to get it started - thank you!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TommyGun85 posted:

Ok, thats what I was missing. I thought cokd water going in meant cold air coming out...

So I should instead do what with the aquatuned water? Should I aquatune polluted water instead and use tgat to create a a radiant cooling chamber for my oxygen pipes to snake through?

Basically you want a large lump of matter (like tiles, water) cooled by a small loop that you aquatune/turbine. This could be just a small water tank, or the waste liquid sump at the bottom of the map, or main clean water tank, whatever. The bigger it is, the slower it changes - so more stablility but longer to cool initially, and you may need a loop inside the tank to even out temperature gradients. You can pass multiple PH2O cooling loops through the tank and around the base and they will draw heat back in, which eventually gets transferred through the aquatuner and eaten by the turbine to give you power.
The more heat you can draw in, the more energy you get out, and once stable you even get enough energy to run the aquatuner without draining your main base power (smart battery connected to a transformer so when you are full, stop draining the main battery bank).
Gases take bugger all energy to change temperature, a run of maybe 4-5 radiant tiles is enough to cool 70 degree O2 down to 20, but conversely they carry bugger all heat with them. You can achieve the same end result just by regulating the base temp with PH2O loops which cool orders of magnitude more effectively.
And finally, when you get super coolant, you just replace the small aquatune loop and get insane cooling power for minimal coolant.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So to get my first rocket up, I stuck a canister emptier and bottled the overflow from my SPOM, and kind of forgot about it.
They've managed to pressurise the capsule to 45kg O2 per tile. Maybe popped eardrums, but I don't think they'll need a top up for a while a couple of cycles!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TommyGun85 posted:

Why is my NOT Gate going berserk, switching back and forth rapidly between green and red.

I have a Gas Element Sensor connected to a Filter Gate connected to the NOT Gate. The element sensor is set to detect oxygen for 20 seconds.

If it isnt detecting oxygen, it shoukd be sending a red to the NOT Gate which in turn shoukd send a green, right? Why is it going nuts?

Ive also tried goinv from the sensor to the NOT gate to the filter gate and it does the same thing.
You've connected across the not gate so each tick it's inverting itself? (connection hidden under the gate itself?)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Updated petrol boiler, trying to squeeze it in before the lava!

Uses wire bridges (and gas, can add transport too later!) as a 3x1 temp shift plate to make isolated thermal chunks every tile (in a vacuum) with as much mass overlapping the path the petrol takes as possible, while keeping the horizontal runs short to reduce heat backflow along the petrol. Only running it in short bursts at the moment (it stops/starts pretty well as long as you choke the oil at the bottom, not the final outflow. 370 degree oil out the top, 100 degree petrol out the bottom, pretty efficient and stable. It's been chuntering away making tons of plastic while I massively overcomplicate my first rocket to the third planet:

The entire background is covered in pipes and ducts holding water/o2 respectively, 100kcal of berry sludge, diamond windows, marble statues, and they have to pee on the floor.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

New entry in the wildly overengineered rocket pod competition:

Barracks, mess room, and washroom bonuses

Oxygen recycling/bad gas collecting for removal when docked (will wire up the vent when I have stopped off at the swamp planet for enough algae to last, and it becomes a backup/emergency O2 store.

Similar job with water, only as I'm parked they keep using the toilet. Filled by removing telescope and emptying a couple of bottles into a small pond then pumping it into the pipes. (Could also use a plumber to drain the pipes in flight to get PO2 for offgassing if you were so inclined)

Thinking of moving the CO2 sensor up and making it a not-O2 sensor, which would give room for 1 more port, possibly a water fill, but getting water piped through the -50 degree top layer is a PITA.

Edit: I have input/output ports wrong way around, its a bit of a pain having to destroy the nosecone to build the water tanks to drain the water, and I couldn't get it to actually drain out via the attached port (but empty storage button just drops it out immediately so meh for now). Also realised I can lower the telescope by a row, the only 'used' tile is the liquid out which can move up, that way I can get all 4 liquid/gas in-outs up there. Would be nice if the rocket could drain gas/liquid to the platform ports without having a cargo module, but I guess when I have a proper H/O engine I can have one of each and not care so much (and the ground ports might work better)

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 14, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Or accept that some scalding will happen, but use the door access to make sure your best builder can nip in, fix it, and get out with only medium wounds. Then shove them in a triage cot til they heal up and you're done. Build a hospital (toilet/basin is fine, a mess table and a triage cot or 2) and you soon learn that dupes can tolerate stuff like digging out part of the 75C oil biome with no atmo-suit enough to get the first oil well plumbed in. They just need a little lie down afterwards. And maybe one in the middle.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

've been using a much more flexible power grid (mostly due to lack of refined metals to spare).
First, you need to think in terms of producers and consumers - batteries don't count, they are just buffers. The worst wire in a circuit is the limit for producers or consumers, and a battery in the circuit will provide infinite wattage if requested. Transformers act as one-way limiters, so if your only power source for a circuit is from a transformer, you are safe. You can connect another circuit off the back with a transformer, but if you have a battery on that circuit then the transformer counts as a full 1kW consumer and can burn it out.

The way around this issue is to have consumer-free distribution cables that start end end in transformers only, and have no batteries (and ideally no consumers). The receiver can then have anything up to a small stretch of heavi-watt and several big batteries followed by several more transformers. That's how I deal with Spaced Out solar early on for example. 2 panels = 1 small wire into a transformer, a collector array of batteries & transformers just under the surface. These feed a transformer onto a single 1kW carrier that heads down to the main battery bank in the base (coming in through another transformer).
That then has transformers that initially feed small circuits, but as the base expands these change into a 1kW local distribution line that feed 2-3 leaf circuits (with a transformer, a battery, then <1kW or <2kW if using conductive) As long as the cumulative average draw of the leaves is <1kW, then the single thin line is all it needs to keep a section of the base running.

Source (transformer->) distribution wire -> 2 or 3x[ (transformer->) Battery + consumers (1kW/2kW max depending on the wire on this circuit only)]

The battery can automate the transformer to only draw when needed, but they pretty much do anyway. there is a big caveat in this - if the leaf nodes start drawing alot, or the source runs dry for a long period, then it is random what order the batteries in the leaf circuits power up, and the final circuit wont even start charging the battery until all the others are full/automated off.

(I'll try to get some pics if I get time)

Edit: Rereading the problem I think this is the root of your problem. The downstream circuits share the charging wire, but one (closest? first built? random?) will draw the full 1kW until any batteries on its circuit are full, then it drops to the local draw. Any left over (1kw - 1st circuit use if you don't automate) is then available for the next transformer, and so on.
That's why I limit it to 2 or 3 per distribution wire, else the lag can mean the 4th+ time you try to string a new circuit on the end, it just never charges up.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 25, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Shumagorath posted:

I don't understand why you're using two layers of transformers. Only consumers matter for total wire load; producers feeding into batteries are free.

You can make smaller circuits that consume <1kW, use less metals, and can grow organically - kinda like my spaghetti plumbing.
My base is currently something like:
code:

Solar->1kw wire
    ->Transformers -> HW wire - Batteries
           Outgoing transfomers:
                      1 to local power (doors/pumps)
                      2 paired + conductive wire giving 2kW feed down into:

Main base battery bank (all heavi-watt)

which then has outgoing feeds like:
code:

-> Transformer 
       - 1kW wire
             -> Transformer -> battery + 960kW disco, 1kw wire
             -> Transformer -> Battery + metal refinery + auto sweeper + door, conductive wire
             -> Transformer -> Battery + gas grill + electric grill + auto sweepers, 1kw wire
-> Transformer
    - 1kW wire
            -> T -> Battery + Water plant (sieves-desalination)
            -> T -> Battery + Oxygen gen + atmo suit docks

etc. added as it grows.

The transformers here are primarily acting as diodes to stop any power flowing back, and limiting input/output levels. As long as the battery gets enough power during the day to cover the intermittent usage, you can power all these things with minimal metal use.

Once oil biome is cracked and you get a bunch of cheap lead, the distribution branches can be upped to 2kw wire, 2 transformers paired at the front end.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Automate it, or flood it with resources. Feeders are small, so having a storage bin set to equal priority close to all the ranches, so tidiers fill that up when they can, and the ranchers then have only a short walk to fill the feeders.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Depends how you deal with the oil. I pump the oil back to the starting asteroid so I can use the volcanoes to boil it sustainably.
The third asteroid has no water sources, so I've made a wild arbor tree farm which appears to be sustaining 3 dupes with spicy tofu quite nicely.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I haven't really used atmo suits at all.
I had the swamp start so I only had lead suits until the 3rd asteroid, and I only use them while working on the oil wells and petroleum boiler. The asteroids are pretty small so it's not bad pressurising everywhere anyway. Just the occasional unprotected run through the vacuum of space when required...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Had a peek at the test server release notes, and looks like food storage is getting a kicking. No more infinite diagonal chlorine holes, as the food will need to be frozen as well as sterile atmosphere, and the diagonal fetching is being removed (while diagonal building is being 'improved')