Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Is it just me, or does air pressure move gasses around VERY slowly? Like, on one side of the wall could be perfect air, the other side is near vacuum but because the opening between them is small, it takes forever to fill.

Yeah it's quite annoying, they need some fans or something to get some circulation going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kind of annoyed that every new construction item that gets added needs plastic/refined metal I typically give up on my colonies before they really get enough plastic/metal to build any of it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been getting stuck on this, basically it takes too long to do anything even with several dedicated builders everything is so far away that by the time they get there they maybe build a ladder piece and that's it for the cycle, basically something simple like a few natural gas generators and pipes to get the carbon dioxide away from it takes 10-15 cycles by the time they are done heat/lack of algae has killed me. More Dupes doesn't seem to help as they have such a hard time getting anywhere, I put in fire poles and that helps but its not enough I've considered little sub bases but they still need food/get stressed out.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Splicer posted:

You need more gofers!

That brings up my issue with the new job system, used to be you could force someone in a roll with decent learning and they would get good at it. Now you need good stats/right job interest/trait that doesn't directly counter the first 2 and that seems quite rare.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Everyone can dig although job restrictions are placed on high hardness items like diamond and abbyslyite

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Since it's an asteroid they should make it so you have to get to the edges to attach engines then power the engines and live long enough to make it to a planet.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Slime posted:

The ingame info for germs says they're disinfected by being in chlorine. I don't have access to enough heat or cold to disinfect that way. You'd think I could just set up a big boiler but apparently not.

You are better off just Jeeping the waste water separate you can use it for plants. You don't want to boil water as the heat generation there is bad as in the end that heat kills most colonies

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tip for new players the gateway generates light 24/7 you can plant 5 blossoms around it from cycle 1 and they will grow forever for free.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lorini posted:

I know my base is going to get untenable, mostly because I don't know the game that well so I always want diggers, builders, gofers, and a researcher. An artist seems like a wasted body, since I need the dupes to level up as fast as possible. But the beauty of the game is that you can play a number of ways!!! :)

You only need the artist for a cycle or two to do the painting afterwards you just swap em back to whatever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Roadie posted:

I continue to be really annoyed that it's impossible to make a closed cycle system with any of the early techs, despite being able to build things that literally have "terrarium" in the name.

Yeah they wanted to make something approaching realistic with the gas system then made it so plants don't consume gas, then made things like growing algae in a terrarium actually COST you algae instead of it growing.

Also nthing the dupe priorities, nothing like seeing them put a exo suit go mine one block then run away then take it off to go do god knows what.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It wasn't so bad until they moved the ice biome away from the starting position and cut down on wheezewort seeds by quite a bit.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's fine that things don't work like they do in the real world, the problem is there are no tooltips or anything to explain any of this so it's an endless game of trial and error to see what things actually do and by the time you've figured out it's doing something off your colonists are on the path to death by heat.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hamelekim posted:

Yes, but the game is still in development, it isn't even feature complete so that should be a given. The game right now is a huge learning experience and that is part of the fun.

There's feature complete and there's a one sentence tooltip explaining what something does.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LaserShark posted:

Are Bristle Blossoms bugged? I've got a few in hydro tiles in a greenhouse and they've gone through a few harvest cycles, but I don't think I've ever seen them drop a seed. My dupes are hardly starving, but still, it's weird.

Something feels up with seed production I'm noticing the same thing I used to get them pretty regularly even after the job update now I am on cycle like 50 with a greenhouse and still have maybe 10-15 total mealwood seeds and maybe 4 blossom seeds. Also in the past 3 maps I've seen maybe 1 wheezewort per cold biome if I am lucky.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

temple posted:

I don't know about the farm station and mealwood. People have discouraged it for some reason. There wheezeworts are out there but not as numerous. I have about 8 in one biome and 1 each in the other ones.

They reduced it a while back but this is like zero I even check for buried seeds it's weird.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Got this game today and I don't think I'm doing too bad...for a beginner at least. My first game I figured out that air "molecules" basically clump together in a tile and swap all at once with an adjacent tile randomly (affected by gravity of course) like bejeweled tiles and that 2x wide ladders make a far, far better ventilation than 1x wide ladders. I've taken this second map as far as I can and I've learned that algae terrariums are water hogs and should mainly be used to scrub CO2 and not generate O2 (and they really should generate a trickle of algae, not consume it, especially for the amount of water they suck up) and that I really should have rushed a generator far, far faster so my dudes weren't spending half the day running on a hamster wheel. Oh and don't set up an electrolyzer until you have a gas pump/separator set up (and the separator doesn't actually pump, derp). Doubly don't set up the electrolyzer below the bedrooms unless you want dudes suffocating in their sleep.

I think that's a half decent second-base.

Quick tip, there is no benefit to individual rooms this isn't Rimworld, use the room overlay to build a barracks you can typically fit 6ish people in each one and they get a stamina boost. Also do not use an electrolyzer too early they generate a shitton of heat which early on you have no way of combatting yet.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Are there any cool tricks that work? Like sticking the electrolyzer in a room with a thermo regulator and pumping the O2 out.
Or is this not something I can build a self-sustaining loop for and I need the cold biomes to soak this heat?

Basically long term you need to find the entropy nullifier its a machine in one of the cold biomes, if you pump hydrogen into it cool will radiate from it, basically stick the electrolyzer in a sealed room, pump the hydrogen into the nullfier then the oxygen into two hvacs one on each side of the nullifier then back to your base. This will take an eternity to build unless you babysit/channel your dupes properly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nukelear v.2 posted:

drat both those answers are pretty unsatisfying. My ice biome has exactly one of those plants and apparently I'd need like 12. Searching the map for a heat mcguffin and building a monster vent is annoying too.
I guess short term, I can put my guys in cool clothes and build a new mealworm farm closer to the ice biome.

Thanks!

Yeah a while back the cold biome was closer to start then they moved it further away surrounding you with hot biome making your base heat up faster, then they reduced the number of wheezeorts, then they did it again. All of this without adding any new methods of cooling, all these changes + all the new stuff they do add is all at the top tier stuff, it's like they are making things way harder for new players while adding toys/chellange for the people with 300+cycle bases.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I setup a conveyor system for the first time. It was neat but the resource time and job requirements were so high I'm not sure it was all that worth it in the end. Maybe if it used less refined metal or power or something.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Building anything far away from base is already a nightmare and that would just make it worse. It'd be hard to justify building dozens of tiles of machinery.

This is the problem the effort involved in building the system so far away is more then just doing what the system is gonna do anyway

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ambaire posted:

So I got the bright idea to raid an ice biome for ice to melt for water to help alleviate a slight water shortage. The only problem is.. how do I go about melting it? I have a storage compactor sitting over my water storage with 15 tons of ice at -30C. I suppose I could just dump the ice in the water storage and wait for it to melt?

Yeah too much together melts too slowly, I typically just make ice statues placed above the water tank.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rancher stuff is fun but be wary it's super crashy, I've never even seen this crash before but something is quite unstable at the moment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So they nerfed eggs, takes 5 hatches to feed 1 person and you can only keep 8 in a 96 tile stables now, they took it way too far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They keep screwing around with the priority all they need is to steal the number system from rimworld and give us an option to click a dupeand force them to do something like save that dipshit that trapped themselves.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The new Natural Gas geysers are awful though, I have 4 in my current base which is already abnormal and I still have power issues due to them running out it's super annoying. I know they expect you to rely on coal more but it's much more busywork.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Chlorine can go straight to hell. :mad:

I just started with the Ranching update and it's been a blast so far. I've spawned a ton of bases because I get partway through and find something isn't working well so I start again, hoping for a better seed and building with all my new knowledge. I love the animations and art style for the duplicants and the engineering problems keep my brain buzzing long after I should have gone to sleep.

Work? Who needs that, I have dupes to manage!

Morbs will eat chlorine and pump out polluted oxygen, typically I will put a bunch of outhouses in a airlocked room and let them fill up without emptying them and morbs will spawn, then after I get a good half a dozen at least I'll start pumping chlorine in there and close the room off to dupes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Had a map with 2 gold geysers, building my entire base out of gold metal tiles was amazing each tile generates the same decor as a masterpiece painting in a 3 tile radius meaning my dupes were happy 24/7.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

i had a magma geyser near mine that i accidentally unearthed

there goes that game...

Have not found a use for those at all, I tried to make some sort of steam power setup with them but the temps were never right just seems like a huge trap that makes a chunk of the map unusable.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Nice, common design patterns link seems useful. I didn't know you could use polluted water for metal refinery!

Use oil as it needs to be heated to refine anyway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alkydere posted:

That's one method. Or you can simply forbid those tiles from being disinfected.

One. Tile. At. A. Time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lately my favorite option for post algae oxygen is morbs, dig out a latrine under a ice biome and have dupes use outhouses there but never clean them. They will continue to spawn morbs that will eat whatever air is around them(so pump in whatever junk gasses you have) and turn it into polluted oxygen, let that polluted oxygen go into the ice biome where the germs all die due to the cold then clean the air and pump it out.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ratzap posted:

Yeah I was looking at that next since I have everything ready for them. Lavetories, showers (or are they useless in this version?) and sinks - it's just a case of picking a spot and plumbing into the existing pipeworks. The greenhouse is almost ready to go up the top.

Bathroom should be the first room you build just because of the free stress relief bonuses from it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They need multi tile disinfect disable, dupes do not need to run halfway across the map, put on a enviro suit then disinfect one tile then run all the way back across the map.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

So let's say I want to make a central repository for resources. I'll build a bunch of storage compactors somewhere. To make sure my dupes aren't wasting too much labour grabbing everything that's loose, I'll set the compactors to store all resources but be sweep only so they only store things that I designate. That way I can unclutter places on demand.

If I build a compactor somewhere else and set it to hold a resource such as coal next to a coal generator, will my dupes take coal that has been swept into the sweep only boxes and move it to the coal box? (without me undesignating coal as a resource on all my sweep boxes)

I could test this myself but it can take time and effort to see if dupes are doing what you want, and even then it's not always obvious.

You will want to do this anyway (coal next to coal generator) for when you get sweepers that will automatically load your coal generator for you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lorini posted:

Here is the entire set up

There's a vacuum beneath the electrolyzer and there's a pump as well. The gas pipe is ventilating to an area that is not showing max gas pressure. Why won't the oxygen sink down to the bottom level where the gas pump is?

Pressure doesn't move that fast.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lorini posted:

Here's my easy peasy guide for getting started. The short answer is dig below your base a ton to give the CO2 somewhere to go and don't use terrariums. If you set up properly you can get into the teens easily with only one Algae oxydizer.

What do you have against terrariums they are much better now that they give polluted water, in fact I use them to help get early reeds going.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Also Slush geysers are not guaranteed at all.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah seems like a waste to wait that long, I like digging up refined metal geysers asap to get more over time. Like I love having bases that's like 50% gold tiles for free.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wait how do you make it to cycle 800 and still have aconcept of close by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It works but they suck at it like a dozen might produce about 100w.