Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Percipient Badger posted:

Recent news wise there hasn't been anything in the last couple of threads about our dirty little secret - the failing prison system. Surprised as there has been a lot more coverage recently & the hidden (sorry, I mean prison) service typically gets bugger all press.

Cuts endemic to the nasty party if applied to some other service would have shut said service down. Out of sight, out of mind I suppose. Easy to tear chunks out of what the public can't see & don't much care for or understand. Boo.

I imagine what's great about prisons from a Tory point of view is that, for the public, it's the equivalent of 'The Only Moral Abortion'. Everyone in prison is there because they're an unrepentant, dangerous sack of poo poo apart from anyone I like, who's there by mistake.
Therefore, no-one actually cares all that much about cuts that harm prisoners.

Y'know, other than anyone who thinks rehabilitation is worthwhile, or who realises how loving expensive it is to keep prisoners in prison, even after you've cut things to the bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, if Martin McGuinness can go to white tie events and meet the Queen, Gerry Adams can be silly on Twitter.

I mean, if he starts filling his rubber ducks with Semtex, then we can reconsider Adams' value to peace generally but until then...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm curious how much publicity the march got beforehand - I work for the NHS, am a Labour member and get emails about all kinds of boring poo poo I have no interest in and I had no idea the march was happening.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've had people seem genuinely impressed that I can place their accent to Northern Ireland. Which suggests they get a whole bunch of stupid places suggested.

My go-to if I need to put on an accent myself is Reverend Ian Paisley, because while we couldn't hear Gerry Adams on TV in the 90s, we always got to hear from that nutjob.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jabby posted:

Tom Watson up to his old tricks, stepping in at the last minute to remove Rebecca Long-Bailey from the selection panel for the next by-election and shift the balance of power towards the right of the party. Can't have a Corbyn supporter elected as an MP.

That article is full of such utter bollocks it can only be accurate. You have Labour sources saying that they didn't want Corbyn selecting 'another White Man' to run, alongside Center/Center-Right supporters promoting an older 'White Man' who's the current PCC and:

quote:

everyone's second choice and that's not a bad place to be

As if picking someone literally no-one thinks is a prime candidate is a winning strategy. :downsbravo:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I mean, that article states that if hospitals can't hit 95% by this time next year, the buck will have stopped with Hunt.
Whereas, in Toryland, the hospitals will have failed despite extra funding being available and therefore should be taken over by administrators* immediately.

* - I was going to go with 'privatised', but after the failure of Hinchingbrooke/Circle, I'm not sure the queue would be a long one.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The Government hasn't even began to grasp the scale of the task ahead of them

I'm not sure this is accurate. My take is that the Govt is starkly aware of how hosed they are and are busy publically ostriching and dead-catting to avoid having the red-tops ask just when May will be ready to give Jerry and Francois a good kicking.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I mean, Australia is probably even more full of seething, red-faced racists as the UK is, but the government there gets in on the act as well, so that's nice.
Plus, I assume they've still got that property bubble expanding. And a government that's happy to utterly destroy the Great Barrier Reef in the name of the ECONOMY.

There might be a nice country to go to that isn't full of and run by complete shitstains, but it's not Australia.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I still buy lots of music and will actively look for ways to buy music I've downloaded/pirated that wasn't available to buy at the time. I mean, if it means some arthritic ex-punk can buy another pint, that's my good deed for the day done.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Those sound like product codes for obscure machine tool parts.

I was going to say 'gene sequences', but yeah.

For content (lol, in this thread):
Rich gently caress buys small house for obscene price. Sadly, the BBC article omits the best part of the piece in the Evening Standard, where the future bloodstain on the wall looks forward to the appreciation in value of the property outstripping that of his pension plan.

Burn it to the ground. And him.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

Osborne just got himself a new job as the editor of the evening standard

:ughh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Clearly this is just another example of the left-wing media bias...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

journalists are salty as gently caress about the evening standard lol

I mean, I hate the Evening Standard and I hate George Osborne, but the level of vitriol is somewhat surprising. Did anyone give the tiniest poo poo when Boris was editing the Spectator? Are there Tory MPs raising their monocles when one of their number writes a column for a broadsheet?
Is anyone still aware that Nick Clegg exists and is a regular contributor to the Evening Standard?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

The ogvernmenr should make some sort of orbital death laser instead of renewing trident imo. Would create tins of jobs if the whole thing including the rockets to launch were made by us

Plus, it would give Theresa May something to do when she's kicked out of office

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jabby posted:

Different companies have UKIP on 13%, 10% and 6% all within days of each other. Accuracy!

Maybe one of them's consulting the audience recruitment person from Question Time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm beginning to think that the sheer volume of polling data sharted to the wind is all so that, when the pollsters inevitably have their headline figures savaged at the next election (whatever it ends up being), they can dig through 5 years of chaff and find the one crumb of data that YEAH WE WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG OKAY, PEOPLE JUST LIED TO US OKAY?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

it's because british people aren't that bright

This is the answer to >75% of questions asked in this thread that start with "Why...?"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Oo 5000 home care workers for the entire country. That'll help.

Particularly when those same workers would be outsourced to the lowest bidder who would in turn pay them minimum wage or lower and then be 'shocked and disheartened' when the CQC describes their businesses as little better than abattoirs.
Miliband's Labour were perfectly happy with widespread privatisation as long as no-one complained about it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Times like this, I actually feel sorry for the vocal moderate Muslims, who are going to spend the next few weeks pointing out why all their "But he was only doing this because..." co-religionists are missing the point by such a distance.

And the dead and injured, of course.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 22, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Seaside Loafer posted:

Do you reckon they were actually going for ramming in through the gates after the mowing people down hollywood film style? I wonder if in their fantasy they shot and stabbed their way to victory or something.

I suspect he was told that he could totally get through the gates, man and it wasn't until he got close enough to Parliament that the second thoughts kicked in and he remembered that the police would probably guard the place pretty well.
Thus the 'drive on the pavement and gently caress whoever gets in the way' business.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

They looked like this

So yeah, armed police, their assault rifles (not submachineguns) were full tacticlol too.

I'd like to think that whenever Greater Anglia staff at Liverpool Street get into an argument over tickets and the call for BTP goes out, the two omnipresents with assault rifles just wander over all friendly-like to see what's going on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In other news, it looks like the Govt are taking a leaf out of New Labour's book and slipping out some bad news when fewer people will be paying attention.
And yes, that muffled sob is the sound of the Tories loving the young again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A friend was giving me a lift back from the pub and he had QT on and I had a weird disconnect where I was agreeing with the Tory MP who was saying that sometimes we have to sit down with 'terrorists' in order to make peace and that peace is probably worth more than continuing war for the sake of vengeance. Particularly given that Hugo Rifkind was sharting on about saving Norman Tebbit's honour and burning all ex-SF members with white phosphorous or some poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

But I assume their actual motive is mass censorship.

No, their actual motive is to spread terror by letting everyone know how easy it is to be a terrorist.
After all, if it's so easy to be a terrorist, why, anyone could be a terrorist. Even, by some definitions, the editor of the Daily Mail.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Taking the train past Spitalfields Market every day, the Corporation should really invest in a few litter pickers. That place is a dump.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

JFairfax posted:

"In 2015, only 53% of school leavers in England achieved five good GCSE passes that included English and Maths."

Is this true? If so that is loving appalling

See for yourself.
There's a caveat in that the Govt changed the rules on what counts as a 'good GCSE pass' between 2013 and 2014, so the numbers drop quite significantly between those two years.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's depressing how true the "The only moral ________ is my _______" hypocrisy is.

Also, I think it was a few years ago that US anti-abortion activists were flying in to the UK to picket abortion clinics. I honestly consider them worse than terrorists in terms of the impact they have on lives. Pure scum.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You could also presumably argue that if the military put a man with a psychiatric disorder in command of a unit of men, the military has to take responsibility for what he did.
But, if you can see some sort of corporate manslaughter charge sticking, you probably have a psychiatric disorder of your own.

Persistent Optimistic Delusional Psychological disorder of Emotional Regulation and Systemic Organic Non-function

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Rejoice, paups! With our new improved paupboxes you too will be able to afford* your own dwelling space with as much as 16 m2** of living space!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/27/dog-kennel-flats-barnet-house-smaller-than-travelodge-room

* Paups who cannot swing a £180k mortgage will need to look elsewhere for their housing needs
** A generous 43% of the national minimum living area for single persons in non-deregulated housing

On one hand, it's illuminating as to what lengths the Tories will go to avoid pissing off developers and home-owners, because I can't see any way that even building a few thousand of these flats would negatively impact on house prices.
On the other hand, they're Tories, and this is pure 'envy-but-don't-encroach-on-your-betters' scummery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-QXey3gPk

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If the EU does get the City of London, can I sign a petition stating that they get Liverpool Street Station? I reckon a £50/month charge for entry/exit/transit would be reasonable. And cheaper than transit through Zone 1

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Interesting to see that the Govt is considering dropping the SATs at the end of Year 2.
They're a vile idea and whoever presented it should have been dropped from the roof of Conservative HQ at the time, but better late than never as long as they follow through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I note with a lack of any real interest that the voting for Unite leader (?General Secretary) is between Len McLuskey - who's thrown his weight behind Corbyn - and some other bloke who seems a bit more in line with Yvette Cooper et al., if you catch my drift.

• Locked thread