Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Paxman posted:

Everyone should read this because it shows why it's important to elect a Labour leader who has the confidence of their MPs.

Maybe people would have done if any of the other options had either left wing credentials or actual talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The dirty money in London housing isn't Russian

Some of it's Chinese too

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Purging the yanks means we technically get to boot out BOZZA LEGERND, so therefore I'm all for it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

As thrilling as the page after page about the Labour leadership is, I'm not sure it really matters all that much. Regardless of who leads the party, the problems of who the gently caress their base is remains. How to cope with losing 40 odd MPs in Scotland, while still appealing to English voters who feel Scotland gets an unfair share of the pie. How to appeal to potential voters "worried about immigration" while not losing the overwhelmingly pro-EU people who voted Labour in 2015. Not to mention any boundary changes to be proposed next year and likely enacted before a 2020 general election and a whole host of other issues large and small..

David Miliband or Tony Blair or Dan Jarvis or Clive Lewis or Jeremy Corbyn or Dennis Skinner or Zombie Keir Hardie/Clem Attlee mash-up would all still have to still deal with those concerns. Plus plenty others. Corbyn is a bad leader and if there was a general election Labour would do really badly under him. He's not popular. He's failed to get across his message effectively, and frankly I still don't really know what his message is yet. But the problems are much deeper and wasting so much time on this one issue is just not seeing the forest for the trees.

You to forgot to mention that English people seem to be really quite eager to vote for increasingly naked authoritarianism.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
We need PR now so we can get more great parties like this

Although it means that Ukip would get like 50 seats or something which isn't ideal

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Donut posted:

Would anybody like me to post a rant I've written about the Prison Service? (I work in the Prison Service and it might go some way to explain why staff have been on strike in the past and why future strikes/voluntarily withdrawing labour are probably inevitable unless Liz Truss/Conservatives get their poo poo together).

:justpost:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

kustomkarkommando posted:

The SDLP has made a rights balls up of this. Finishing fourth on first preferences in south down, getting in last in mid ulster and SF topping the vote in Foyle by a huge margin

This is bad for Corbyn

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Taear posted:

I'm northern and I work in a call centre so I speak to people from all over. But as soon as I go down to London it feels like nobody can understand me - I had a seriously hard time ordering any fast food at all for example. In place after place they'd just look at me baffled.

People in the south are strange aliens who should be liquidated.

Make Ober God-King of the South

I'm sure everyone will understand

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Menshevik Internationalist here. Can't wait to be strung along by whoever here is closest to Lenin and then shot like a dog in the street. ***It's the Russian way***

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Corbyn should be replaced with someone who can win an election and actually do some good in power

Agreed

Too bad that person doesn't exist yet, in any party

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cerv posted:

how are you defining richest? the last quarter's published declarations had Labour drop to 3rd behind the Lib Dems in total donations.

Labour gets the majority of its money from the size of its membership and the fact that Labour party membership is more expensive than others, not from donations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

You can pay as much as you want, they just make recommendations. Lowest is £1 a month afaik.

Its £3 month minimum, only less if you are a student or trade union member.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Certainly in my constituency the membership boost has led to the CLP making a profit month to month before other forms of fundraising so...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

crispix posted:

That old man Jeremy Corbyn man too busy fiddling his taxes and spending all the money on tacky ornaments from Sinn Féin's online shop to be bothered to do his job, I oughtn't not to wonder, I shouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy Corbyn's gonna ring your da'

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Am I the only one who is finding how much flak the government is taking weird, over what feels like a "business as usual" budget? Like of all the things to criticise in this or previous budgets the "white van man" tax seems pretty small fry.

Not that I'm complaining mind.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

People also seem quite mad about the return of grammar schools.

I always like to point out to people that Thatcher of all people said introducing grammar schools were the biggest mistake the Tories ever made, for the simple fact that by definition you are pleasing 10% of the population and pissing off the other 90%.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
A lot of this feels like the "Overreach" comments Phil Sandifer made about the right in relation to Milo getting kicked out of the alt-right club. Like, everything is completely hunky-dory despite all the horrible things going on, until suddenly one mistake causes everyone to turn on you overnight. May and Hammond must be wondering what the gently caress just happened after the media have been queuing up to give them blowjobs for the past 6 months.

Meanwhile Alistair Heath in the Telegraph is screeching at a level that only dogs can hear:

Alistair Heath posted:

There are two kinds of politicians, in every country and at every time in history. There are individualists in the mould of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher, who believe that our salaries and wages are rightfully ours, and that the state should take as little of them as possible.

Then there are collectivists, such as Jeremy Corbyn, Gordon Brown and the vast bulk of post-war politicians of all parties, for whom the economy is a socially produced pie, to be divvied up by the government as it sees fit.

In this worldview, the state is the ultimate freeholder over all of our assets and income; tax cuts are thus a “cost” to the Exchequer, morally identical to other forms of “spending”.

The great tragedy of Wednesday’s Budget, and its bizarre, omnishambolic raid on the self-employed, is that it places Philip Hammond in the latter, collectivist category.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pochoclo posted:

You'd think that Tories, of all people, would know just how much their voting base hates taxes.

I think the Tories are genuinely worried about driving the country completely into the ground at this point, judging by the tax hike to pay for extra social care and that article about "blood in the streets".

Unfortunately (for them) I think they have been consumed by their own hubris and bought into the idea that they could just keep on doing austerity and making themselves richer forever. Hopefully this is the chink in the armour that the media are now going to exploit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pochoclo posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I meant more in the sense that they're worried that if they don't share the wealth a bit better, people in masks are going to start sharing it for them.

And yeah, I think they are really hitting the wall in terms of things to cut, particularly if the media actually starts calling them out on it for once.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

baka kaba posted:

I wasn't really thinking of TV, unless you mean Question Time

But yeah I guess it depends on the case too :stonk:

It would be pretty funny if the jury's response to every case was "The two of 'em should knock their 'eads together and SORT IT AAAAAAAAAAHT"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Another interesting story from the Telegraph, but in the other direction to Alistair Heath shrieking about how taxation is theft: Juliet Samuel is pretty much calling the Tories intellectually bankrupt:

Juliet Samuel posted:

Philip Hammond is worried about the tax take. This, we are told, is why he made the strategic blunder of pushing up taxes on the self-employed this week.

The ultimate limit on how much the Treasury can collect in taxes from workers is, of course, not tax policy, but how much money people make. Any Tory chancellor should instinctively know this. The picture for UK earnings growth has been grim over the last decade and although it is now getting marginally better, it isn’t expected to improve dramatically. Yet despite the importance of earnings, on this basic measure of our economy’s health, the Budget was largely silent.

It’s not just Hammond. Politicians and experts across the Right have few policy suggestions on one of the greatest economic problems facing the country: low pay and, underlying it, Britain’s weak business investment and productivity.

Very interesting in that she goes on to say that tax cuts aren't going to solve the problem, and neither is following typical centre-left policy, which is why protectionism is emerging as pretty much the only card left in a lot of right-wing politicians hands.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Entropy238 posted:

Is there a UKMT thread consensus on George Galloway? Good man or bad man?

Probably something along the lines of "amusing idiot" with that picture of him meeting Saddam Hussein attached

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

TomViolence posted:

I mean I agree with most of that but the last part, does that make me a weirdo leftist?

I think it's more things like how he loves Assad because America doesn't and turned on dime from hating Saddam to praising him after the Gulf War.

Basically West is Bad, so anyone who opposes the West is Good. Like how the really pro-tier tankies talk about North Korea sticking it to the imperialists.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Anyone else remember that weirdly well written and affecting article by Katie Hopkins about Hillsborough, that was like a bizarre cry for help in print form? That was loving weird.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lightning Lord posted:

As an outsider I have a question - are there any "sane Tories", or like the sane Republicans in America, were they chased out of politics/into Labour?

There are certainly Tories who are pro-EU/migrants/whatever but they have either been forced into hiding because May is by all accounts a complete dictator, plus the fact that the current path seems to be be, you know, winning.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tigey posted:

Don't worry about it. I mean, even if the UK does completely implode I am sure the EU will take a generous and compassionate stance toward refugees from a neighbouring failed state

Can't wait for France to build a concentration camp in the Channel Tunnel

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

either that or it's dimmu borgir who I still have a soft spot for

This is worse than voting Leave

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

learnincurve posted:

Why do people assume people voted to leave because of racism? I'm sick of the London based media portraying the majority of the country as being ignorant racists because they want to leave Europe. Your average racist is fully aware that Asia isn't in Europe and that won't make any difference to immigration from those countries. If you want a more accurate stereotype then try " being sick of the UK paying in to prop up Eastern European countries who don't contribute poo poo"

Source your quotes

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ask Canada about the First Nations too!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

learnincurve posted:

The big problem you/remainers have is that in the average northern town, people's lives were completely unaffected by the drop in the value of the pound. Stuff like white goods and televisions are still the same price in Argos, wilcos haven't raised prices, market stalls haven't increased the prices on fruit and veg, milk is still being priced artificially low, rents haven't gone up, there hasn't been a mass exodus of employers from the UK. What is it, one bank pulled out and it turned out that 99% of their employees were European? The predicted economic cataclysm has in fact, not happened.

Gentle reminder: Brexit hasn't happened yet

Also inflation has increased thanks to the falling value of the pound, so your line about prices increasing isn't even true anyway.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

learnincurve posted:

It makes it harder to argue for Brexit if one of the main remain arguments was that if we voted yes then we would all wake up in the morning to economic collapse. Sugar tax will make more of a difference to the poor than the impact the yes vote had.

Leaving the EU opens us up for more trade deals. India, Pakistan, Australia, Canada, America, China and Russia have all said they would be open to negotiating trade deals with us. Short term pain for long term gain.

Did you know that you can make loads of money by going down the casino and betting your life savings on Red? There's no downside with this plan I can see

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also how many of the thread actually live in London? Some of the staunchest Remainers here are from the north of England, not to mention scotland

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

I did not vote in the EU referendum

does that mean you are like half racist or something

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

big scary monsters posted:

he's racist by birth but doesn't live there any more

I outwardly talk about how great multiculturalism and inclusivity are but inside i'm wondering just why all those women in headscarves can't just speak English and I avoid the bits of town that have too many black people in them

livin' the liberal dream

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

kustomkarkommando posted:

I am not from London and voted remain - though I must admit I do eat humus and occasionally read the guardian

Four years from now a GCHQ officer in a peaked cap and trenchcoat is going to interrogate you into confessing that you made this post

When you are finally taken out with the others and lined up against the wall all you will feel is an oddly relaxing feeling of relief

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I eat a bunch of kale because I am on a low carb diet, it's...fine? I guess? Greens are better and cheaper but more of a hassle to deal with since kale usually comes pre chopped in bags.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

But enough about the political party.

Apparently the Greens in my area are full of right-wing Jill Stein-esque weirdos since all the left-wing people joined the Labour party after Corbyn won

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

Mainstream environmentalism has a very strong conservative trend when you go deep enough and I'm not sure why people are so frequently surprised given that 90% of the premise is "wasn't it better when this was all countryside?"

I'd be interested in their actual justification for hating LGBT people and women, except I'd imagine they're no more interesting than that of the Religious Right only swap The Lord with Gaia and keep the underlying reason of "they're different and I don't like them."

I would not be surprised if there's a bunch of "Real Women" transphobia going on and talking about doing things "naturally".

As for Labour certainly in my constituency we've been making efforts to get left wing people in branch and CLP positions. All efforts at the minute are on the upcoming county council elections but after May I want to try and get the influx from the second leadership election involved, since the whole farce of the election and CLPs being shut down totally hosed recruitment and campaigning for a while and we haven't really recovered.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Isn't saying you like Sabra the best like saying your favourite Italian food restaurant is Pizza Hut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

TinTower posted:

It's part of the reason why I prefer STV, as it's both preferential and proportional. Geekery about quotas and fractional transfers aside, it's pretty simple for someone to grasp: "I'd like these people elected and in this order".

I'd be happy to settle for AMS or AV, though.

Watch us finally get PR at some point only it's party list with like a 10% threshold for seats, so literally nothing changes except UKIP and the Lib Dems get way more seats and MPs don't have to give a poo poo about their constituencies anymore

• Locked thread