Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Reminder that Northern Ireland is technically in the UK, here was their leaders' debate (although PBPA was ROBBED of a podium) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08h1jqj/northern-ireland-elections-2017-the-leaders-debate

(Colum Eastwood would be a perfectly acceptable Leader of the Opposition)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Much like all nationalists there is a working class side of the party and a nostalgic ~classic liberal~ side.

It's the case for FN, Ukip, the PVV, to some extent AfD, all those guys.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

awesome-express posted:

So what are the chances that the government actually accepts this amendment?
low

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Also, McDonnell has a good policy of forcing people earning over 1m to publish their tax returns.
ok what can we do with this information

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Probably SDLP with PBPA in my heart.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

why are all the major NI parties insane?
Have you considered that theirs are sane and we are the mad ones??

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's alright lads we'll make a new and better GFA.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

SF want a new agreement and home rule means they can rally the base. If they weren't also dirty af they'd probably just push for a proper enquiry and have half the DUP on embezzlement charges but hey ho.
Both the Shinner Crocodile and DUP A Different Animal are parasites whose existence holds back Northern Ireland.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Why doesn't labour just elect Article 50 to be its party leader?
The membership wouldn't go for it, I'm afraid.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

Bad news, educated friends. According to the Adam Smith Institute, universities are worryingly lacking ideological heterogeneity, as too many lecturers are left-wing
True. But right wingers who end up in academia are not even positive examples of right wingers.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

So is NI just having basically a snap general cos the government collapsed? I gathered stuff was a bit dire but I guess I missed the bit where it actually went tits up.
Yes and it is testament to how well this has been covered by the mainland BBC that the response has been "whu?" or "eh?" by the British posters here lol

McGuinness who was ailing as gently caress at the time brought down (technically him and) Foster's administration because she refused to stand aside for an inquiry into the RHI scandal.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I get literally all my news from this thread so I wouldn't notice if the BBC were playing it 24/7 tbh.
OK well here is another link to the leaders' debate that I posted on page 1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08h1jqj/northern-ireland-elections-2017-the-leaders-debate

Highlights include a guy about to be lynched for bringing up FLEGS and an increasingly belligerent host as times goes on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

and i must meme posted:

what are positive right wingers like?
Successful people who aren't stuck in academia with :argh: leeching students :argh:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A sad day for expert Pointless players and pursuers of a 32 county antiglobalist Republic alike.

e: updated answer list (may be invalid by the end of the day)

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 3, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Has there been any polling on which way the corns will go?
With the influx of Londoners it's not that black and white.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

gently caress the Cornish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax67_yNCdWA

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Mike Nesbitt off more than he could chew more like

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kustomkarkommando posted:

GerryAdamsSinnFeinIRA
supporting !!! and Lemuria at an overpriced indie joint near you.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=750gwGnbAmI lmao

e: this is Mike Nesbitt's least magnanimous leaving speech ever

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 4, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I did not know that NI had official rules about dealing with nationalists/unionists.

That's... frankly a remarkably good idea but I'm astonished people managed to agree to it.
It's bollocks lol but the whole Northern Ireland thing is a sticking plaster in general.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kustomkarkommando posted:

I mean if the UUP weren't hosed before this election the closeness of this may mean they are now - I expect in the multi-month negotiations we'll get a rejiggering of the First Minister position so that it's just First Ministers (no deputy) who the largest party in the largest designation each have a right to nominate for with any vague illusion of primacy in position (and it is only an illusion now) officially dispelled and both names being put forward and voted on at the same time
I expect we will have james brokenshire nodding like "hmmm very interesting" before pressing the "send in the para to Do Brexit" button.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I'm not sure copying China's agriculture methods is necessarily the best idea

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Looks like the wheels have been slowly grinding away on the Tories' 2015 campaign financing shenanigasn:

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/837966724792205312/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
There are probably better things to nail the Tories on than hotel spending.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully when direct rule happens HMG just tells everyone to gently caress off and gives NI the same abortion/gay rights laws as England.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

I don't think that'd be a good idea. There was widespread rioting for several weeks here in 2012 because the days on which the flag is flown at Belfast City Hall was brought into line with the rest of the UK. There were protests and counter protests over a gay wedding cake on a regular basis for several years. :v:
Riot all you like. Rapists having more rights than women is unacceptable, and gay marriage is well and truly settled in the civilised world.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't it you who was saying that's exactly how you get Brexit and Trump?
We've already got Brexit, and Trump is only as regressive as the DUP, who will almost certainly force Direct Rule on the province by nominating Arlene Foster to lead them.

Direct rule has already been used for complete garbage like the bedroom tax, might as well do some good with the power.

quote:

Abortion rights in England aren't all that great anyway, there's no abortion on demand like most of Europe, so there's plenty of room for NI doctors to deliberately wreck the whole thing if they were given a boilerplate of the English laws.
There's a difference between some doctors not agreeing to it and women getting sentenced because they're not rich enough to go private in England or Scotland.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

You don't think there's a chance of a populist backlash if something that the majority disagree with is forced on them from outside?
There certainly is a chance of that.

quote:

I guess the only good thing is that the backlash would likely not be in a Unionist direction if it's Westminster that's seen as doing the loving.
Never forget that it was the UVF who said that they would make the province ungovernable (and did), not the IRA.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Thatcher only regarded one of those two people as her greatest success tho
She also regarded the deliberate destruction of British industry as a "good thing", so I'm not sure you ought to trust her judgement tbh

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I'm curious as to what Jez's explanation for the discrepancy is.
I blame Laura Kuennsburg.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Simplest answer is that he doesn't take the extra salary, maybe.
tbf he doesn't show up for work as the leader of the opposition very often

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Chuka Umunna has just published what looks to me like a new leadership manifesto: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/chuka-umunna-labour-alternative

Haven't read all of it yet. And I don't particularly trust Umunna. But (depressingly) this seems like a more comprehensive vision than anything the leadership has come up with since Jeremy was first elected. Along with the (pretty much unnecessary at this point) analysis of labour's current poo poo creak situation, it has: a decent (if too soft) look at where New Labour went wrong, and it puts forward a genuine vision of how the party can move forward, drawing on all sorts of sources and ideas. There are just enough specifics to make it worth skimming through the waffle.
The bits that stand out as awkward are the national/parochialism/immigration bits and the family values bit (the latter seems very much out of New Labour's playbook).

If you can't trust him not to puss out on being leader twice you can't trust him to lead the party full stop.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Is it really necessary to lay out where new labour went wrong
yes

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Until next week when footage of Corbyn making tea shows he puts the milk in first 😱
If you're going to be so out of touch that you claim to not be wealthy earning in the top 10% of people in this country, and vastly more than the nurses and young people you claim to be behind, it's probably wise to not gently caress up your tax return too and leave yourself open to accusations of hiding your money in classic ~fat cat~ style.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I think perhaps it takes a rather dim person to believe that publishing one's tax return is an attempt to hide one's money.
It takes a dimmer one still to say "oh well they've released something, even if it contains mistakes or lacks information it's good that they did". If Hammond took him up on the offer and released a similarly specious document that missed out/obscured big chunks of his income, Labour would rightly pick him up on it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

hoxha was right
"A People's Pillbox in every garden" - Labour Manif. 2020.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Labour is a hoxha-poxha many different ideas, true.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

You know drat well the context of this sentence was her saying Labour doesn't take any votes for granted, and she doesn't like to imply that by calling anywhere a safe seat. You're being as disingenuous as the express if you're trying to imply it means anything other than that.

Also, you can put income wherever you feel it's most appropriate on a tax return. Multiple options are often acceptable. The fact that where Corbyns accountant chose to put his added pay is the big story rather than Hammond outright refusing to publish his is what's wrong with this country.
We already know that the entire front bench and probably most of the back bench of the Tories is bent as a spoon. The issue is that if you try and be all New Politics about things you'd best get the execution right, because you don't get a second chance to not gently caress it up, especially when your shadow chancellor is talking about the rich needing to publish their tax returns.

Now where's the policy? "Publish your taxes if you earn a million quid but have another go if you get it wrong - end of the day, we all make mistakes?"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, that's not a bad policy, the point of it would be to make sure that we know what ministers are paying, not to catch them on actual errors.

If you keep publishing ones that hide like £600k of income then we've got a problem.
If you get it wrong to start with they'll just say "oh right whoops guess my accountant screwed up, you know how it is Jer'."

That's why this is frustrating; it's a kind of okay policy, although I don't personally see the point of it, but once again it's turned into another Corbyn blunder that discredits the Labour party by association.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

Yay for grammar schools and Victorian standards of education! At this rate I fully expect to see May making child labour legal again in ~2 years, those were the good old times, right? Gotta make Bretane competitive again.
Nobody's left out of the hard working families initiative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

The surge in membership has made Labour the richest party in the U.K.. How's that a bad thing?
Brilliant, maybe they'll be able to afford to hire Corey Lewandowski or some other cast-off American political advisor to help them into the electoral abyss.

• Locked thread