Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

if you aren't excited for that fight, i don't know what to tell you

Michael Bisping will become the only man to beat both GSP and Anderson Silva, becoming the greatest fighter of all time circa 2010 in the year 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

At least there is that. Wonder who played good cop.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I feel like the ufc has kind of given up all pretense of title matchups being sporting events instead of blatant business decisions, which sucks imo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Georges is a younger man with a good back.

Given GSP'S layoff and many injuries, that is baseless

E: unless you mean his booty, which isntrue

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dana White: [to Drew Dober and Jacob Volkmann] Now, our operation is small, but there's a lot of potential for "aggressive" expansion. So, which one of you fine gentlemen would like to stay in our promotion? Oh, there's only one spot open right now, so we're gonna have...
[breaks pool cue over knee]
Dana White: Tryouts.
[throws broken pool cue at the fighters]
Dana White: Make it fast.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Rigel posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/3/14797810/demetrious-johnson-campaigns-to-tie-history-on-fox-in-april

Mighty Mouse is dropping some hints that he might be the headliner for UFC on FOX in Kansas City

Hell yeah

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Rigel posted:

The point is to set up a fight with Conor. Thats why this interim belt matters.

I admire your optimism.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I sign to fight, only for a moment
And the moment's gone
All my wins pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Trast posted:

How do you duck some who never fights?

Look man, if you're scared to fight someone you're scared to fight someone, ok? Doesn't matter if they could fight or not, cuz they can't get a fight until you agree to fight them anyway. By fighting Eddie Alvarez, Conor was clearly ducking Khabib, the Incredible Hulk and Vegeta, and you can't tell me or Mr Nice otherwise

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Being scared, homie

Funny you should mention that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3812299

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Tsyni posted:

Move to the honor system for weight.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Could be because the other guy did even less than he did the whole fight and yet many fans are exclusively chanting "gently caress Woodley"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I still think Conor and Ronda gave canned responses tbh, they weren't the generic "I will fight anyone the ufc puts in front of me" type you're referring to but at least a portion of what they say are definitely rehearsed to some degree, they're just charismatic enough to make it all seem super natural and off the cuff. Plus lots of people try to break free and let their personalities show and it just makes them look like Tobias Funke and most people still don't care about them because they are outweighed by many household pets, so "just be yourself" isn't some magic One Weird Trick to getting fans.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I dont think anyone realistically thinks Bravo would fare well in an MMA fight against anyone. In a pure grappling scenario I think Bravo wins 100% of the time.

I don't know, man, Bisping took the last man to submit Brian Stann to a draw in a grappling match so exciting it rivals the ufc welterweight title picture

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

manyak posted:

Chael was like 10 seconds (?) away from beating Jon Jones if he didnt quit. He was getting his rear end kicked though

I don't know how much of that was quitting vs just plain getting TKO'D and there was nothing he could do about it. He also might not have even known his toe was broken.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

God drat it Big Ben

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

You guys are being mean to my best special needs friend Big Ben Rothwell and I would like to politely ask that you stop and respect his privacy in this difficult time, thank you all for your understanding

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Is anyone going to the Kansas City event? I have a pre-sale code to buy tickets tomorrow and all my friends are either hard nos or strong maybes, I could probably convince them to go if we got the cheapest tickets possible but I kind of wanna treat myself to mid terrace.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

*fairly odd parents voice* And this is where I'd put my short-notice cancelation show-pay clause as mandated by my union... IF I HAD ONE!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's my birthday tomorrow, so I went ahead and posted the GDT early enough that you can actually talk about it there when Kelvin misses middleweight by 14 pounds at the early weigh ins.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812877

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

I dunno, I think the possibility of a sober, non-roiding Jones makes for an interesting rematch with DC.

I mean, sure, it's fun to imagine who would win among your favorite super heroes or ninja turtles, but I've long been on the record saying we should only discuss real-world fights that can actually happen

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Some of you seem very confident that the businessmen in charge of the strongest mma promotion ever are simply bumblingly incompetent with money instead of greedy assholes

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Carlos Newton comes to mind, Captain Log.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Nibbles! posted:

It's more likely down to the IV ban and whatever else was used that USADA's involvement has curbed.

This misconception still comes up a lot so I guess it bears repeating. IVs don't help you cut weight, and in fact would make it impossible to effectively cut weight because the whole point of a saline IV drip is to rehydrate you way faster than simply drinking water. IVs were used after hard weight cuts to rehydrate quickly so fighters would frel better by fight time, and were banned for reasons unrelated to weight cutting: the saline solution in an IV flushes your system out and can be used to mask PED use from drug tests, so that is why they are banned.

So if a fighter post-IV ban is still making weight but suddenly looks way slower, weaker and more tired in their fights, the IV ban was possibly the reason why. If a fighter instantly can't make weight and constantly looks shittier than usual at weigh ins post-USADA, the culprit is more likely a diuretic they were taking that they feel they can't get away with under USADA, (or possibly just the effects of age and time making it harder to cut weight.)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

very much enjoyed making 100 mgs jokes too. thank u blue deanie for presenting everyone with the opportunity. if i could kindly request you do more videogame style ones in the future since thats all i do with my considerable free time these days :mrgw:

Finally caught up and glad you and everyone else enjoyed it, man

I agree the middleweight title picture is real bad right now. So is any division that's being held up by two people who aren't fighting

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Cody the Pfist Pfister

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Has there ever been a bigger age difference between two UFC fighters that have fought each other?

Probably every other Mike Pyle fight sets this record

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

I want Lombard to get fired, and Vitor also

On one hand I agree, but both guys are in a class where leaving the ufc would probably significantly improve their career and bottom lines, so I am OK with them hanging around in the ufc to make no money off sponsorships and be drug tested regularly while losing to increasingly lower-ranked opponents.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I read that as "Take on Me" and was really having a hard time making that work in my brain hole.

We're testing today
I don't know what
I'm to say I'll say it anyway
Today's another day to find you
Shying away
I'll be coming for your piss, okay?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Kelvin has had more career pro UFC bouts than Weidman had total pro MMA bouts at the time he fought Silva.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Schrodinger's Spine, if you will

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

What kind of predictions would you make about a single die roll and what kind of stats would help you make that prediction

I boldly predict that there is a 1 in 6 chance the die will land on 4, because statistically there are six sides on this die and one of them is 4

I submit this for the consideration of the MacArthur Genius Grant to fund me staying at home for a year to play Dungeons and Dragons all day, to better understand the probability of single die rolls for other sizes and shapes of dice

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

That's not a prediction, and also, is an untrue statement

Well you win some, you lose some

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Rigel posted:

Niko Price, Curtis Blaydes, and Abel Trujillo have all been fined $1,000 and suspended for 90 days by Texas for failing in-competition marijuana tests. Wins by Price and Blaydes were overturned to No Contest.

These suspensions will NOT be recognized by USADA, because Texas uses an absurdly low theshold for a positive test, and they did not fail their USADA in-competition tests. The 90-day suspensions still have to be observed though, because all commissions recognize each others suspensions, even if its an idiotic suspension from Texas.

What white nonsense

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Here's a thread. Sorry it's late.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813874

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Memento posted:

Aren't the first two fights their #1 and #3 all time ppv records? Makes sense to run the third, and it markets itself.

On the other hand, it doesn't make sense to do the same match three times in a row for one person and it is extremely lovely of them to keep Diaz on the shelf so they can make McGregor Money whenever McGregor is done raising his children and pretending to fight Floyd Mayweather in two years

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Neurosis posted:

Weidman took fights on short notice which it has been suggested it is not something roiders normally do. The IV ban is as likely a culprit.

Weidman openly said at the time the IV ban was going to impact how he cut weight so he tried not to bulk up as much to be able to cut without it. Idk if it's true or not and I know muscle isn't necessarily that easy to shed, but it's not like he deflated like Vitor either and of they weren't muscles gained by roids then it probably wasn't that impossible to slim down.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

In memory of the Trail of Tears, further white atrocities will be committed on Oklahoma soil

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Memento posted:

JON JONES: "Hey Jon Jones' publicist, how do I, Jon Jones, get back into the hearts of the fans?"

JON JONES' PUBLICIST: "I don't know Jon Jones, how about holding a meet-the-fans event and getting up close and personal? They love that!"

JON JONES: "What a good idea! And do you know what else fans love more than meeting the stars? Paying $99 or more to do it!"

I was leaving a Buffalo Wild Wings outside of St. Louis after a fight in 2011 or so and got handed a flyer from someone about a local gym hosting Randy Couture, and the gate to that was something like $120, but at least it included a copy of his book and probably a lesson on elbowing a punching bag or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Fat Twitter Man posted:

there's basically no upside to Bisping fighting Romero,

For Bisping, maybe

• Locked thread