Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After I play Horizon, Nier, and Persona 5, I think I will buy either a Wii U or Switch to play Zelda. Haven't decided yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tonight I am going to try to beat The Challenge.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

What is that.

It's something in The Witness.

I couldn't do it. I need to be at peak mental acuity so doing it after eating a burrito and a half is basically doomed from the start. Also my phone battery died so I couldn't take screenshots anymore.

I also realized what the Challenge reminds me of, it reminds me of Legends of the Hidden Temple, and I can't put that stupid monkey together

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/5G8ik1m.mp4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's heightist

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

a march games chat thread gets -15% liberty desire haha

I haven't played Europa Universalis 4 in a while, every time I think about it I see there's a new DLC and I think, I will wait until that goes on sale, but instead I just forget about it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How about you only play a month of Christianity-themed games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lobok posted:

Her expressions make sense now that I've decided to roelplay her as a Botox fiend.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think you can watch gameplay footage and get a sense of how you'll like it. I saw Nioh gameplay and knew it would be rad. I am still excited for Horizon but seeing multiple people cheese encounters by hiding in the grass and whistling over and over has me slightly more skeptical

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The NVIDIA GeForce Experience made PowerPoint hang and crash multiple times because it thought it was a game and every time I switched slides it asked me if I wanted to Share the Experience, good times

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoyed Tom Clancy's The Division™.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Switch can easily fit in a messenger bag.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have spent most of the afternoon listening to Overwatch meme songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdVwltmsTos

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I keep meaning to play Thumper.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For Civ VI? Eh. The value of this will be determined by how many dozens of hours you already put into Civ V

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Yea but the game and rule set will be newer. Always sticking to the old is what kills you.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, the value of VI's novelty depends on how much you've exhausted V, which is the best-designed 4X of all time. VI is strictly inferior in almost every aspect, and is only worth anything if you just want something "new"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really care that much about video game journalism or awards or even No Man's Sky but I would really like to know the rationale behind giving it an Innovation Award. Innovative in what way exactly? Peter Molyneux was doing that poo poo decades ago.

Innovative social media strategies and community engagement

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

Jumping in with both feet after a few days away - my Wife has picked up Horizon, so my first thoughts were wow this is pretty Witcher pretty then it looked like there were no water caustics, it didn't react to her swimming etc and thats really standing out in my mind and rubbing me the wrong way even though its minimal.

How stupid is that bugbear.

Also her Switch comes tomorrow but she said I can't play Zelda until she has but it looks great.

The little things add up. That reminds me of when Steve Gaynor of Fullbright streamed Resident Evil 7 and he spent quite a bit of time having fun just pointing out specular effects on the water and the sparks that formed when you hit a melee weapon on a hard surface and the volumetric lighting.

And when you see a AAA game that has absolutely none of those things like Mass Effect it really stands out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

five point review systems are a sin

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If Nintendo decided to re-release their Wii U games or have digital backwards compatibility for the Switch I would be jumping on it much faster. But does the gamepad preclude this from being a reality?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

I dunno when the trend of breaking down a review score into individual components originated but I'm glad it seems to be on its way out.

The category I always liked in old reviews was "Reviewer's Tilt" because it implied that all the other categories were Pure Scientific Objectivity and so they had to quarantine stupid Subjective Experience away from the other things

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The "combo" charts in musou games are pretty hilarious

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People are saying the color depth is worse on the Wii U? What does that actually mean

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, the pitch/design doc for Sleeping Dogs 2 seemed really cool if they could actually pull all that stuff off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would assume the hook to a Sleeping Dogs movie... would be Wei Shen hanging a dude literal hook. Or someone getting impaled on swordfish heads. Or a new version of "Yellow Fever"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

The best moment in the GB video is when they get chased around by a skeleton while a laser turret is also shooting at them and eventually, after five minutes of frantic juking around, get the turret to blow up the skeleton.

I saw a clip where a dude tried to throw a bomb at an enemy and it kicked it back in Link's face, completely wrecking him

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

But... the bombs are remotely detonated. Would you have to be a total moron to trigger it after it gets launched back at you?

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/837667468139122688

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Nice to see the bad guy from Foodfight! getting work.

http://i.imgur.com/Q1CIvdQ.gifv

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I think I am going to buy a Wii U. I skipped the Wii entirely so I feel like if there are at least ten essential games for the Wii, it wouldn't be the dumbest decision

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

give it a few weeks so the price plummets at least

Yeah, my current plan is to get through Horizon, Nier, and then Persona, then assess the situation. So I guess that may be in June or something

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can play Gamecube games on a Wii U?

Considering my Nintendo lifetime experience ended about halfway through the N64 generation, getting a Wii U now seems like a no-brainer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I think I'm still hyped for ME Andromeda, SF RPG's are so rare and it's not like all the other games didn't have crappy animations

Cyberpunk 2077 will be great, I can feel it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of which, Horizon just teased me with power armor behind a locked door and I don't know why I didn't think it before but this is basically a Fallout game with actual graphics and gameplay

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I recently got back into FF14, and an early quest tasked me with surveying townspeople to find out the most popular color of dress.

:stare:

You should have seen things during the Year of the Cock event

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Horizon I just fought a Thunderjaw and man, that was really fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

I hope Horizon does well and that they figure out that a lot of the reason people are loving it (this guy included) is that they actually held back on the hype and even a lot of basic information. A lot of what makes it so good is the genuine sense of exploration and discovery of the world. Been a real long time since I can say a game surprised me so often and so dramatically.

I remember that my expectations dipped pretty low when everyone was posting Brom's scene but that honestly is the worst of it and a major outlier. The storytelling doesn't dominate your time, except maybe at the very beginning, and the rest of it that I've run into so far has actually kept me really interested.

It's what gives me hope that the dozen gifs and YouTube clips of Mass Effect Andromeda that we're all ragging on are actually just isolated incidents!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm stumped by a puzzle in the Witness. :(

You can do it! Some puzzles in there took me hours to figure out. Others I had to come back after a couple of days and what seemed completely incomprehensible had become obvious.

I am still grinding away at The Challenge. One day...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

You gotta separate the artist from their work.

I used to argue this fervently but as time has gone on, I realized there is so much worthwhile work out there that I already don't have time for that it is trivial to cut out the real shitheads and not give them any consideration

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Warren Buffett Plays Wall Street Kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The E3 reveal for Horizon was really good and the game continued to look good.

For an example of how you can make a AAA game look terrible, I refer you to Mass Effect: Andromeda.

(I say this as someone who is definitely going to be playing it in a few weeks)

• Locked thread