Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

Why not both?

I like the head on this one's shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Aren't they all animal-people? Maybe she's just a small animal-person. I don't know, I haven't played it myself. It looks neat in the same way that the Over the Garden Wall tv show was. Sorta weird, sorta silly, sorta creepy, sorta fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Eff your smallism. :lol: in that screenshot, one of the picture frames has a picture of a very tall cat with a tall hat and a very short can with a much taller hat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Naming the new femshep Lucille 2 in honor of this fine gif

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

I don't know if it'll be anti-hype exactly but being an open-world game, it's definitely the kind of thing that I think most people will get when it's on sale, and I think that's OK. I'm loving it but I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the Mad Max-meets-Oryx and Crake atmosphere and story are very cool to me, as are the robots. The whole thing has a narrative drive which is very up and down. Sometimes it reminds me of New Vegas in quality and sometimes it reminds me of Skyrim in quality, to give you a good idea of the up and down. If it was better at consistently staying good, I'd think it would become a goon darling like New Vegas but I think instead it will probably be considered "one of the better open world games because of gameplay and a somewhat novel game world, but with flaws" like say Mad Max or Far Cry 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider. The last one might be especially apt.

i noticed it happen with MGSV most recently. when it first came out everyone was fuckin exploding with cum over it and now people are like "UGH that game"

If that game had an actual ending, I think it would still be a goon darling. The gameplay was soooo good...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Palpek posted:

The problem is that you believe these are the same people. Consensus is a lie. Different groups become loud at different times, people who liked the game move on to play something else etc. There are some changed opinions among the crowd and there are definitely rose-tinted glasses at release because people are hyped. On the other hand though, what does it matter? Have fun with games that everybody else hates, it's cool.

This is very true. I loved games that get some loud goon hate like the Mass Effect and Bioshock series. A lot of people love those games but it's not like people still talk about them much except people who have a chip on their shoulder about it.

I'm also that loud hater person when it comes to certain games like Final Fantasy 8 and 13, where I kind of love to hate them and so do others who are very vocal but it doesn't make us right. Me hating FF13 doesn't make someone wrong for loving it, and just because they're not as loud doesn't mean the goon consensus is that FF13 is terrible. It means they are playing something else and I'm the sad guy still talking about how bad I think a 7 year old game that I didn't even finish was. I'm not sure if that's more or less sad than the weirdos who watch entire streams of games they have no interest in just so they can talk about how much they hate them (see HZD).

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The NVIDIA GeForce Experience made PowerPoint hang and crash multiple times because it thought it was a game and every time I switched slides it asked me if I wanted to Share the Experience, good times

Direct me to your PowerPoint twitch pls

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think you can watch gameplay footage and get a sense of how you'll like it. I saw Nioh gameplay and knew it would be rad. I am still excited for Horizon but seeing multiple people cheese encounters by hiding in the grass and whistling over and over has me slightly more skeptical

Ok I do t know if this is because I'm playing in Very Hard but this poo poo doesn't work for me. If I whistle a bot over and aggro it, all the other bots know because of their wireless link unless I can kill it in one hit. Even then, if I'm not stealthed, they still know. Only the small bots and low level humans can be killed in one hit.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If you've ever seen a Vita or Switch Cart, you might see why a small child might put them in their mouth. They're tiny.

Adults licking them is a different problem entirely.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 1, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lobok posted:

Hell yeah

Is this... Wolverine Batman

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

the switch's indie lineup is legit as gently caress for maybe the first time ever for a Nintendo console

the big guns like thumper, stardew valley, shovel knight, but also the really good under the radar ones like gonner and splasher. whoever's reaching out to devs there knows what the gently caress is up

They need it because other than Zelda, the full retail line-up is pretty bad for a while. I'm not gonna lie, I'm also disappointed that the thing is not as light and travel friendly as the 3DS, which I use on plane travel a lot. I was kinda hoping when I eventually got a Switch, I could retire the 3DS but it's not going to happen until they make a Switch lite or New New 4DS or something.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Serf posted:

I watched Polygon's hour of Prey footage and came away with the impression that Arkane somehow read my mind and made the System Shock sequel I've always wanted. It's been too long since the last good Bioshock game and Prey hits every note I want in a game so far.

I dunno, Bioshock Infinite came out like 4 years ago, not that long ago.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

What early access should mean: You can play the game before its release date or before its day 1 updates

What early access means: Beta test our game for us please

It's not even beta testing going by normal software definitions. A game is feature complete at alpha and early access games usually start pretty bare while the developer basically implements all the milestones they intend have planned.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
And frankly, I'm not sure there's another way when it comes to small developers aiming for large games. Rimworld for example is a huge game (despite its simple graphics) made primarily by one dude who contracts out a small amount of work to other people. He's not particularly wealthy. The game is not getting made unless someone pays for it and very few publishers are even interested in what he's making. So we foot the bill. It's not optimal and I wasn't interested until it started to resembled a real game and then I jumped in.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
While I love the big super-pretty games like Uncharted 4 or Horizon or Doom or Total Warhammer, I do think like developers constantly going for super HD graphics can make for an overly expensive dev process. It's the dragon that Square Enix East chased into some pretty dark times, and it's what got Ubisoft on the yearly generic iterative update thing once they got their AAA dev pipeline built. There's also definitely space for lower fidelity games. Maybe they don't make CoD money but as long as they're fun, no big deal.

That said, I still don't know about the Switch. I like the concept of Nintendo moving to a unified platform that I can buy and enjoy all their games but it looks like it's coming down to possibly flawed implementation. Part of me kinda wishes they stopped chasing the home console thing and just focused on handheld hardware while putting their console software on other platforms. They'll never do it but I guess I can wish.

And of course, whatever platform gets Pikmin 4 I'll buy anyway. Speaking of which, Video Games, you should throw Pikmin 3 into your March RTS list.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Digital always costs more than physical here, unless it's on sale.

Generally true in the US too though Steam is an obvious exception and PSN has started doing regular sales that are at least decent. Nintendo even does decent sales from time to time, rare as it is.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'm not going to complain that I can play Zelda on a console I already own and it will perform well. Pretty cool.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

As someone who commutes like 90 minutes a day and usually plays Vita/3DS in that time, the idea of just playing a real rear end zelda game on the subway still feels like some alien future tech

You can play LBW and OoT and Mask on a 3DS.

Honestly I'm planning on eventually getting one for the cartridge taste.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I think Video Games might be good you guys

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

fridge corn posted:

only two of those games are actually good

It's sad that you really think that when only two of those games have been released and are good.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 2, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

LeafyOrb posted:

I'm only one game deep but so far I am enjoying open world robot apocalypse week. Looking forward to the other two games that come out in the next few days.

I for one welcome our new robot dinosaur Ganondorfs.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I read video game magazines for the articles

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

Going to see Logan tonight, very excited.

Same. In the Alamo Drafthouse preshow right now...

Also

Snak posted:

Was this posted already? Cause this is the best endorsement...

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/837316575925514241

:3:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazon you fuckers, loving Monday???

Man that is waking up to piss in your cereal :(

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

This would make a good photoshop thread here in games. Create better versions of classics.

I like this idea a lot. Maybe I'll do some effort posting this weekend...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Can't wait for the novelization

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty much, basically as long as it's better than DA2 I'll be happy.

Actually scratch that, as long as it doesn't have a character as bad as Sera I'll be happy.

Peebee is the new Serah supposedly. Just leave her in the cargo hold I guess?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's a really good game. I went from being pretty meh on it during previews to falling in love with it after playing it to putting it up for potential goty, though I guess we'll see how that shakes out after I have time to digest it and play Zelda and compare both to Nioh. Finding out that CDPR helped Guerilla on Horizon along with a New Vegas alumnus goes a long way towards explaining to me how it came to be an unexpected hit.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
This does not at all disregard his crime but Roman Polanski's wife Sharon Tate was also famously murdered by the Manson Family in extremely gruesome fashion back in 1968. That guy's life is an interesting and horrifying tale.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
And on another note, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yFON2UON3k

If you can't get or otherwise don't want a Switch but own a WiiU, the WiiU version of Zelda apparently looks and performs well. Gonna get it this week after I beat Horizon :dance:

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 5, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Yes. This is good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It may be the the most beautiful game ever in terms of fairly realistic graphics. The only glaring flaws are the side quest facial animations and the lack of soft body dynamic physics for water. The former is disappointing but the latter is totally excusable since soft body dynamics are totally brutal on performance and the game is already using it quite a bit for a few small things.

Otherwise, jeez so many vistas and the game really utilizes a great dynamic palette between the locations, weather and day/night dynamics, robots, and characters. It successfully avoids the "everything's gray/brown" issue that can affect big open games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

GUI posted:

Titanfall 2's multiplayer is incredible. Doom's wishes it'd be this fast-paced and frantic.

I started playing Battlefield 1's multiplayer too. While trying to figure out the controls I accidentally threw a grenade across the map and a few seconds later it killed someone. That was cool.

Titanfall 2 multiplayer is indeed a ton of fun. I've burnt out on it because of playing probably 150 hours of it with goons but those were some good times. They did a great job with all the abilities and the map design. Bounty hunt was a nice new game type that hasn't been done before. I'd say the only major flaw is too few maps.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

horizon had me really into it but i stopped playing more than a mission or so a day when i got zelda cause of the new system fever and i'm having a hard time getting back into it idk.

Playing more than one open world game at a time is on my "never do this ever" list because I will burn out fast on the style of game. I'm sticking to Horizon until I finish it and playing puzzle games and R6 Siege when I feel like taking a break. When I finish it, then and only then does it become Zelda time but I might stick Nier in between to take a short break from the open world format.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

She also wrote tons and tons of stories where Jedi were huge assholes and totally deserved to be killed by the heroic clone troopers because the clone troopers were clones of a MANDALORIAN so they had free will and honor, despite the movies blatantly showing that to not be the case. Then when someone asked her why she writes Jedis as such dickheads in her books, she basically said if you don't hate Jedi you're a nazi.

I wonder what exactly the Star Wars book publishing division was like where you could have someone like that writing major stories for your official line and no one says "Hmm this is kinda the opposite of what our brand is about."

The funny thing about this is that there is a mandalorian in KotoR who fits her version and he's a decent enough character but he's uh also pretty evil so... yeah. Actually fitting for the mil sci fi race to be kinda bad guys in comparison to the Jedi.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh, you may want to take a closer look at that one

What Real Hurthling said.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fun fact about the Halo novels, it turns out that the Covenant interrupted a human civil war. A bunch of frontier planets were rebelling against the United Nations, and the war was basically insurrectionists doing suicide bombings and then the UNSC showing up and massacring insurrectionists. That's why Master Chief was created, to fight that war.

I have read a couple Halo novels, and both of them were worse than any 40k novels I've read. And I read 40k novels, so my standards ain't exactly high

Originally Halo was supposed to take place in the same universe as Marathon, so I'm not sure how that all ties in.

40k novels are not particularly good but yeah they put Halo to shame if only because they have so much fluff to draw upon.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh yeah there was this dumb poo poo too, lol. Like they were trying to be a low rent 40,000K or something and even then Warhammer has nothing like that. At least I don't think so. That is a deep well of silly lore.

Yeah, 40k has some terrible poo poo and the Imperium is specifically supposed to be this terrible xenophobic war machine that unknowingly feeds the daemons their power through rage but at least there are no weird rape cults outside the poo poo that Slaaneshi cults and the Dark Eldar have. And those are definitely the "badder" guys.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

As packed as this first quarter is, it could be worse:

Or this random week in September 2004:

Good video games come in waves, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

My cat of 14 years died today. I'm afraid I will always associate this amazing Zelda game with the death of my cat.

Condolences. My dog passed away back in January. It sucks. He was 17 years old though so he had a pretty long run for a dog.

• Locked thread