Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope March is the month where RCRU becomes as good as I thought it was gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BexGu posted:

I really worry to the devs of RCRU are only seeing the positive feedback and not the concerns people have. Or just ignore it and claim "that's how it was in the original".

No, they are being yelled at thoroughly about bugs in the backer forums, and every piece of design criticism I give has dozens of likes. Speaking of which:

quote:

Fixed bug where stamina increases wrapped around from 255 to 0
Fixed bug where unlocked hero characters started with zero stats
Fixed bug where binding the block button would bind it to the menu button
Fixed bug where you could not access sub-menus of the pause menu while other players are in the menu
Fixed bug where it was possible to skip past the special move tutorial and not receive special moves, making it impossible to continue the tutorial
Fixed bug where you could buy Ground Pound for Alex (a non-functional move)

Inching towards the finish line...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

When does Phoenix Wright get less-than-really-good? I've just completed the case with Von Karma (the vampire-looking prosecutor) and it feels great.

Phoenix Wright gets bad with Apollo Justice, the fourth and worst game in the series.

Although nobody really likes the circus case in Phoenix Wright 2, that's the only bad case in the original trilogy. And it's still way better than That loving Case from Apollo Justice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A cool drat horse posted:

I wouldn't say apollo justice is bad but it's definitely not as good as the others. Every other game in the series is amazing though (including the investigations games)

Ehhhh Layton vs Wright is probably skippable too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

layton vs wright has some top tier cute little models of the characters. and it has darklaw

Darklaw is the number one argument against playing the game.

Jay Rust posted:

Is Missile the dog from Phoenix Wright's case with Von Karma the same Missile the dog from Ghost Trick?

No, AA Missile is a Shiba Inu and Ghost Trick Missile is a Top Pomeranian, but both Missiles are based on Shu Takumi's real life dog Missile.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 2, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zaphiel posted:

Wait, which case was that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4ziiQoErw

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A cool drat horse posted:

Yeah the guitar case is way worse than the circus case lol. I don't even think that circus case is that bad, it's just too long. PW v AA owns btw

The Circus case features a 30 year old man trying to gently caress a really naive teenager, which no one in the story seems to have a problem with, so it loses some points for that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's probably about time for me to do a replay of Link Between Worlds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It'd take like a month at most for a new crop of even worse websites to show up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Use a image host.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teB2xkUw3bI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

quote:

Fixed bug where games saved in New Game+ mode would become regular saves
Fixed bug where arena stats overwrote story stats if you used the training arena and exited through the classroom door
Fixed bug where it was no longer possible to select non-hero unlocks in Arena mode
Fixed bug where the button used to cycle inventory items did nothing
Fixed bug where joining players could lose control in the menu system (Exit Arena, Exit To Title)
Fixed rendering issues in the Pause Screen menus on macOS

:pray: We're getting there...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

It would be really cool if we stopped this review score nonsense altogether imo

:yeah:
:same:
:agreed:
:hai:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

River City Ransom Underground's reviews went from Overwhelmingly Positive to Very Positive to Mostly Positive in 3 days. At this rate it's going to hit Mixed tomorrow. Can't say it's not deserved, with all the drat bugs and problems it has right now, but it hurts my soul to see a good game have such a bad launch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

Seems like Kunio is barely in this game. Did they even need to bother licensing it?

You mean Alex? He and Ryan are playable pretty much the whole way through, and the story is a direct sequel to the original game, and there's tons of references all over the place. I mean I guess they could've just filed off the serial numbers and made a game that's really really really suspiciously close to River City Ransom without being actually related, but I don't really think anything would've been gained that way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

As you say, "A Game Where You Eat Food To Level Up And Punch High School Delinquents" just doesn't have the brand recognition as RIVER CITY RANSOM if you're doing internet panhandling

That's such a cynical view of things. If you were making a game that was already a spiritual sequel to your favorite game ever and someone said "Hey you can get the license and make it official", wouldn't you be interested?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

I wish the game showed the combo inputs on the move list, PAUL can do some sick nasty boxing combos.

People have been criticizing the move list for a while, it's pretty crappy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

I hope they fix that soon. I was a bit confused at first when I saw the move list. It's like ok did it replace my regular punch or..

I hope so too, someone posted a really nice suggestion for a better move list format on the backer forums.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

The best games with combos don't have combo lists so it feels like you found poo poo on your own

Are you talking about bad Capcom fighters? That's a totally different kind of combo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RCRU has a bit of both. There are moves that only come out when you hit buttons in a specific order, these are the preset combos we're discussing. They're an expansion of the basic 1-2-3 knockdown mechanics of old beat-em-ups like the original RCR or Final Fight, and function like the combos in games like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta. But you can also create your own combos in the game by linking specials and normal attacks and juggling.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoaIHtGgmQ

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 3, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

LOL what is this wonderful game, some kind of Oregon Trail clone?

Yeah it's got elements of Oregon Trail but there's also some top-down crowd control combat that's the core of the gameplay.

If you just want Oregon Trail, get Organ Trail instead, another wacky zombie game that focuses much more on the random events on the road.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

an actual dog posted:

Woah, they're making a movie based on Sleeping Dogs. I know the developer went kaput but maybe this means they're making another game with a different studio?

This is a video game movie that might be good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inverted Y axis is the devil's work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It has its time and place, and it's for flight sims ONLY.

What kind of jerk plays flight sims though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Look, the camera can do whatever it wants as long as first person view doesn't have an inverted Y-axis with a non-inverted X-axis. I'm trying to aim a gun not fly a plane you piece of poo poo devs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/supermoof/status/837739493448769536

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not all of River City Ransom Underground's bugs are bad.

https://vimeo.com/206370203

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

This particular Phoenix Wright case had a few weird translation errors, I don't understand how they can happen.

Oh, you're playing the lovely version.

DalaranJ posted:

Just tell me when the game is fixed, and I'll buy it.

Will do. You'll notice that even though I'm still talking about the game, I'm not telling anyone to rush out and buy it anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

darksydephil got kicked out of machinima. the only thing i know about him is he got caught masturbating on stream once

a bad year for lets players so far

I'm really surprised it took them this long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

My current feelings on Horizon vs Zelder is that Horizon is a great open world game, Zelder is an amazing open world.

Someone told my friend after playing both that BOTW is "Zelda meets Far Cry 2" and Horizon is "Assassin's Creed meets Far Cry 3".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite thing is how they mention missteps with previous projects, which is both a diss on Wayforward's creepy tendencies and infuriating to people who raged out when Double Dragon Neon and other games the Yacht Club team worked on were criticized for some sexist elements. Whoops, turns out they agreed with Anita Sarkeesian and you got mad over nothing!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

No offense but I feel like you may be extrapolating and projecting a bit

Probably!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

You gotta separate the artist from their work.

Nah, you don't. That's a personal choice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

At least Lovecraft is long-dead. I can't watch Woody Allen movies at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really like NWA's music but I didn't watch Straight Outta Compton because all I could think of was the time Dr. Dre cracked a woman's head open against a bathroom wall because she said NWA's music was sexist in an interview, and the rest of the outfit supported him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

What's the name of the movie director that raped an underaged girl and then fled to France to avoid extradition? Because a bunch of people ooh and ahh over his movies and how well directed they are and every time someone brings up the whole "separate the art from the artist" thing I always think about what it must be like to constantly have to think to yourself "yeah the guy may be a child rapist but drat if he couldn't direct a fine movie" without going insane.

Keep in mind people have worked with him on purpose after that incident to make new movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

CJacobs is going to speedrun a game with me because I said so right now in this post >:]

FirstAidKite is going to buy me a pizza and take me to a movie.

Sakurazuka posted:

Need to get a new battery for my WiiU controller or something, get like 2 1/2 hours out of a full charge now.

There's a fancy super duper battery thing you can buy for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I really don't like these Psyche-Locks in Phoenix Wright 2, i.e. presenting evidence to witnesses during the investigation sequences. It runs into that terrible adventure game problem, "Am I not thinking correctly, or do I just lack the correct item for the moment?" Plus, since your wrong answers get penalized with both health damage and several seconds of text scrolling, it's really mellowing my enthusiasm for this series

Yeah it's not the best mechanic ever, but it leads to some great moments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

So between Horizon and Doom the thing I'm taking away from this is that AAA game devs are dogshit at showing off how actually good their games are.

They don't make the trailers, the marketing guys do that, and they're morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I distinctly remember a Gauntlet Dark Legacy ad where the tagline was something like "You and 3 of your friends can go on a badass adventure, but the bad news is one of you has to be the chick". Which is not only the stupidest thing ever, but also inaccurate since the game had 8 initial playable characters.

• Locked thread