Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
How is SafeSchools even an issue for people? Is it actually people legitimately becoming confused or are there a subset of bigots purposely lying and putting out misinformation about how SafeSchools is teaching children incest and beastiality is wrong and 'oh my god, pre-schoolers shouldn't be learning about putting your dick in a toaster!!'.

Are they that dense? I know they're that dense, but really? How?

There is a group of people claiming transsexuals don't exist and we should just ignore them, but also those people who are transexuals are dirty freaks who should be arrested?

What year is it!? We shouldn't be letting 13 year old's know that homosexuality is a thing that happens because then they'll go and be gay? Also, don't let your son play with dolls he'll want to be a woman when he grows up! Because no 13 year old has ever had sex, except for the, what is it 1 in 5 who are sexually abused? That sounds too high, someone please correct me so that I can sleep at night. Dumb arse parents who think their 13 year old not only shouldn't know about sex, but also is ignorant that gay people exist. We need to keep that quiet, knowing that people love people will... what? WHAT? None of them can tell me what aside from vague mutterings about loving dogs. Like, they get a glassy look in their eyes and start picturing it, like gay people are the sick weirdos when they can't stop thinking about dog sex.

I can put up with most things, like the Liberals thinking that building an uncosted road through protected wetlands to a port that is almost at functional capacity is a good idea. But stepping on minorities just because gets my goat. And One Nation is running around talking about reducing crime like you can just -reduce crime- without doing bugger all about the economy.

Who the hell has a plan for the economy, this state is hosed. Governments need to think long term, and they just bloody well don't. At least Labor want to diversify the range of industries in WA, even if their plan is dodgey. And what do I hear about the greens? Nothing. Except an awesome tagline, but they're making no headway whatsoever and are only seen as an environmental fringe group with people legitimately saying they're an insane group of radicals who will eat your babies and burn the state to the ground.

This from people in hi-vis gear who keep claiming they're FIFO workers but when you ask them where they're based they tell you they haven't had a job for 6 months and are actually on centrelink living in their lovely McMansion and driving their expensive cars whilst racking up credit card debts completely oblivious to the doom that is their future looming closer and closer. Mining is not going to pick up the way it has in the past, not soon, not now. The projects are built, they can run on skeleton staff, we've known it from the beginning. How are they so dense?

One more thing. When driverless cars exist, and they will. What do we do with all the unemployed uber/taxi/truck/bus drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Cartoon posted:

And as to sleeping better at night?

https://victimsofcrime.org/media/reporting-on-child-sexual-abuse/child-sexual-abuse-statistics

Worse, in the majority of the most serious end of that the perpetrators are close family members, friends of the family or people in a position of trust. It is this abuse of trust and trusted bonds that is the most damaging to the victims. Reporting rates are also known to be low. Hardly a surprise when the progress of charges leads to a minute conviction rate. So yeah the sleeping part? Self medicate.

Early sex education is one way to equip children to deal with both repulsing unwanted sexual activity and finding the pathways to reporting it. Now why would a church want to stop that?

gently caress you, you couldn't of lied to me? I teach like, 100 kids.

As to automation. I realise no one is sticking automation in a truck right now. But there are a lot of truck drivers in Australia, and it is an inevitable direction the transport industry will go. You can drive those things constantly with no real breaks and no need for coked up drivers. It's not something we should be putting solutions in place when the first driverless truck starts rolling around the roads. We need to start building capacity for these people to transition to other industries sooner rather than later. Because if I had a pile of cash, that is where I would be investing it.

I'm not even talking about welfare here, I feel they're two separate issues. Yes, welfare needs reform and I'd really like to see a universal basic income put into place for everyone. But people want to do things, so we need to diversify our industries that don't rely on automation just so we're not all crazy bored.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

So if he's prone to automatism he can't be a police officer any more right? Right?

I imagine it more hinges on the fact he was just in a rather horrific crash, and so went into automatism mode, which isn't such an unheard of thing. But... that's in terms of people pulling themselves free of a crash. I've never heard of someone going into murder mode. Flight or fight I guess?

Sets a dangerous precedence I would think.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Whilst not advocating for assassination. At what point does it become a viable idea?

If you had the chance to murder the Nazi party before they came to power, would you do it? If someone advocates for Nazi ideas, is it your morale duty to explode them?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Comstar posted:

Man being sued by 4 channel 7 employee's claims that Channel 7's CEO is running it, instead of being a private totally not funded by Channel 7 case:

In other news JB Hi-Fi may replace cleaners with robots. The news being they already HAVE replaced cleaners, but it's still on a trial basis.

Welp. It's happening. All the menial labour jobs are going to be replaced. You'll need a considerable amount of education to get a job in the future. Which means poor people, who can't afford TAFE courses, and won't have the requisite skills to get into university (as their poor parents can't help them and the school system is fairly bad at value adding these skills to children) will remain unemployed forever. How can you apply for several jobs a week if there are none.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

wouldn't be the first time we tried to ban something with unintended consequences

Golden wattle contains mescaline? Nice.

Also apparently the leaves are super high in cyanide. Such an Australian thing. Murder plants.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Comstar posted:

Good news everyone. AEMO predicting power cuts and gas shortages next year

I have full confidence in the LNP and the Turnball regime that they will do nothing and none of the gas being sold overseas will not be directed for internally - that would hurt *profits* for overseas companies and we can't have that.

This is actually pretty scary. Any one of us could either have no power, or no gas, or both.

As a Western Australian this confuses me, we just brought a butt load of new LPG sources online. I know Barnett likes to keep encouraging other States to do the same, but can't you guys buy it from us?

Konomex fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 8, 2017

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

norp posted:

I don't think it will matter for tomorrow, the wa electorate has already switched off.

Whilst a lot of people have already voted early, I'm still seeing a lot of people on community facebook groups looking for opinions on who to vote for since their saviour, Pauline the great, betrayed them by having a political affair with Barnett.

It's going to be interesting.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

iajanus posted:

but my mail would have been slightly delayed!!

That's much better than the usual - hugely delayed.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Who is ready for HansonTears.mp4 ?

Me! Me!

I'm hoping for a landslide to wipe smug Liberal faces out.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

WA best state?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

He looks like he's doing his victory speech in a loving bingo hall though. At least put a corflute behind him or something...

McGowan is the member for Rockingham, he sits in the Labor heartland of WA. Every seat around his is red.

We don't have money for fancy corflutes. Also, I'm pretty sure that's our town hall. You big city snob.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

The Greens preferenced Daylight Savings Party ahead of a lot of other parties, including Labor, but it would be interesting to see a government buy a vote by introducing Daylight Savings, something WA emphatically voted against multiple times.

There's also the possibility they'll negotiate legislation with the Nationals is exchange for a mining tax. Because the WA Nationals well and truly hate the WA Liberals now and would probably jump at any opportunity to both stab them in the face and also see their mining tax become a reality, then they can turn around next election and say to their electorates 'See, even when Labor's in government, the Nationals get things done for regional West Aussies'.

The future looks to be an interesting time.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Schlesische posted:

I don't think the WA Nationals will actually do something that will genuinely gently caress over the Liberals. The Federal Nationals have too much skin in the game for them to accept that course.

The Liberals will probably not go an do a preference deal with One Nation in QLD, and that will be the bigger story.

Have you met Brendon Grylls? He'd gladly knife the Liberals in the back and gently caress their skull.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Cleretic posted:

See, none of this is a problem if you don't drink. Easy solutions!

Yeah, all this beer talk is weird. I don't know anything about beer except I tried over 300 of them and they were all poo poo.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Starshark posted:

There's not only people who get paid to come up with this poo poo, they get paid even if you never use their idea. Think about that next time you do an honest day's work.

This idea is glorious, I don't get the ire dripping from your words.

I want to see more stupid election stunts on boats with people going 'Isn't that Jet skier the Treasurer!'

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

MiniSune posted:

At any high level job the ability to delegate is paramount. Judging who the right resource is also critical as while you may delegate you never abdicate responsibility.
I think Brandis is just straight out incompetent from basic office skills through to his legal opinions which seem to be wrong at every instance.
I would have sacked him long ago if he was one of my employees.

But have you seen his bookcase? It's so big, it's so impressive. Anyone with a bookcase that full of books, which they have obviously read and not bought as a prop piece, must be of an immense intellect. How could you fire such a brain?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

Queensland does something right? What is this world coming to?

Time to lift your game SA, you're meant to be the progressive state or some poo poo.

SA is awaiting a law review on changes to provocation laws to remove the gay panic defense without accidentally also removing legal defences for victims of domestic violence.

Game lifted, just doing their due diligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Guess which party has 4 seats in the WA Legislative Council?

The Greens, that's who.

• Locked thread