Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I forgot to post this but a 100% accurate opinion piece of the islanders arena situation from a friend of mine: https://medium.com/@imdonbecker/who-says-you-should-go-home-2f367755911f#.b9vxya4l4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

kill me now posted:

I would be happy to have them move back into Nassau county. The trip to a game went from about 25 minutes by car to an 1:20 by train from western Suffolk.

It's not laziness that keeps me from seeing games.

quote:

I can understand fans from the far reaches of Long Island skipping games, especially if the train trip is more than an hour. I can understand families, who now might have to pay $20 per person to get to Brooklyn instead of per carload to park. But there are plenty of fans who, like me, live about 30 minutes away by train but can’t be bothered to go to a game, even when they live on a train line that doesn’t require changing at Jamaica. And those fans, willing to abandon the team over a train ticket and an extra 10 minutes of travel time, make up an alarming majority of the fan base.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

The fancy stats people think he's great but he stinks

much like

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

He starts against weaker competition, often in the offensive zone, and has success in the most sheltered minutes. He has offensive skills that are great in a certain role, but he's bad at defending in general. Last night, he deflected the first goal, went into the corner too late to support McDonagh and left a cross-ice pass open for the second goal, and missed a poke check on the third one (goal wasn't his fault, though.)

Sounds a lot like the guy you just traded two picks for except he was getting top-4 minutes and has scored 5 points this year

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ken Holland is a leathery-faced jackanape with the IQ of a dish sponge

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Here's a question that's being generated: why do we have these dumbfuck divisional playoffs I'll take my answer off air

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'd be okay with giving each division winner 1 and 2, or even keeping the divisional playoff if we have to but only guaranteeing the top 2 and having 4 wildcard teams, but this poo poo we have right now is loving terrible

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Apparently the WIngs called up Rob Russo. Good numbers in AHL. Thoughts, Wings fans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnq268y2ms

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

Cookies brought this up in the discord, why not just say a divisional lead means you're guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, but not a seed?

I think a divisional winner should be guaranteed a first round home playoff series, but that's about it. I doubt we're ever going to see a scenario where the entire Metropolitan knocks the Atlantic out of the playoffs, thus necessitating them needing a guaranteed spot. If the division winner is the 5th or 6th best team, just give them the 4 seed and make them host the team that should be 4th.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Kilza posted:

Even though this would never happen nowadays, I'd love for the NHL to go back to having the top 16 teams in the league make it, regardless of conference/division. Then 1 faces 16, 2 faces 15, etc.

They could do this if they scraped conferences and had like 5 or 6 free-standing divisions that are created geographically and then used their improved scheduling matrix to cut down on back-to-backs during the regular season to let team "save up" travel for the playoffs

This idea, though modeled for the NBA, would be the best alignment/playoff structure that any sport in North America would have: http://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2014/11/26/7280545/nba-schedule-reform-regions-map-playoffs

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

corn on the cop posted:

hey who wants to see the worst defense iced this year

https://twitter.com/MattLoug/status/839176792699187200

Severson is better than every wings defenseman

e: wings have to have the league's worst defense when you factor in salary. I don't know if they're quite Canucks bad, but Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, (formerly) Smith, and Green make a combined like $23M

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 7, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

N: Marchenko scores his first goal of the season on Detroit.

V: :nsacloud:

i would very much like to be dead now tia

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I can't wait until Blashill catches on somewhere else and is actually a decent coach when he doesn't have that purse-skinned dickhole peering over his shoulder and all of his dogshit contracts sitting in his lap

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Y'all crazy. Blashill sucks and is clearly responsible for failures of player development. Basically every single player has regressed under his watch. That can be a problem of overall roster makeup but it's also a problem of coaching.

Fire 'em both.

A bunch of guys, namely Tatar and Nyquist, took steps backward or stagnated in the final season of Noted Good Coach Mike Babcock. It's almost like there's an egomaniacal jerkoff sandbagging the roster for personal glory and nepotism and it's messing up the team from the top down.

We can believe that a good coach, that has been great at developing and getting the best out of young players at every level he's coached, suddenly turned into an idiot, or maybe this is the culmination of a long trend of the roster getting more and more expensive while simultaneously getting more and more mediocre that started like 3 years before Blashill was even with the organization.

I swear to god if Blashill gets scapegoated for this, we will loving regret it. Who's going to replace him? Are you really ready for the second Dave Lewis era? Because I'm loving not

e: Sheahan, Glendening, and Abdelkader haven't regressed, they were never loving good in the first place

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 10, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Sophomore slumps happen, I'm not willing to attribute it to anything more than that. He's also struggled at C and because of the hard on this team has for Abdelkader, he spent like 1/4 of the season playing with Steve Ott. Line juggling has been a huge problem, because this is a middling roster that needs to let youth play and develop but *somebody* has spent the last 3 seasons insisting it was a playoff team and there's no time for development when you're fighting for an 8 seed.

Tatar and Nyquist haven't been given reliable top-6 minutes since their breakout year. That was a problem when Babcock was here, it's not the type of thing Blashill did at WMU or in Grand Rapids, and is not something Babs is doing in Toronto currently. So I'll give you 3 guesses what the common thread is there and the first two don't count.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 10, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

He's had two years and hasn't made a single player better, and that is literally his only job right now because winning isn't in the picture.

says armchair goon in direct opposition of the guy's actual boss

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

dadjokes posted:

Blashill benching good young players while Ericsson and Kronwall are still suiting up day in day out is insane (when healthy).

Sunken cost fallacy. Even the best coaches fall into this trap. The team has 10 million reasons for those guys to suit up every night and I'm not going to crucify a coach for that until he's actually been given an opportunity to run a team in his image without his GM breathing down his neck whispering streaaaak in his ear.

Blashill very well may be a poo poo coach, but he's got an incredible track record with young players, so much so that it's actually baffling what's currently going on and all circumstantial evidence alludes to there being another factor in play here.

This poo poo sandwich is 100% Ken Holland's fault, and Blashill does at least deserve a stay of execution to prove if he's complicit.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 10, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

The post-2013 roster v. the pre-2013 roster are very different in terms of Holland's 'favor the vets' strategy. Playing your best players to maintain The Streak and making sure young players develop so we can maintain The Streak aren't really at opposition on this current roster.

THEN WHY THE gently caress DID HE SIGN STEVE OTT

Seriously, this logic does not follow. Mantha and AA had inside tracks to opening day roster spots and Holland was on record saying they needed to earn it. Blashill didn't say that, Blashill didn't sign Ott, Blashill didn't drone on about Zetterberg's "veteran good will"

Ken Holland is pulling the puppet strings, and gently caress me if I'd like to give Blashill maybe a month of a fresh season to see if he could be a real boy

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 10, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

^^^ You must have a very coordinated and strong non-dominant hand if you can move your stick as quickly, accurately, and comfortably one-handed as you can when holding it in your dominant hand

It absolutely does matter from a defensive stand point, this coming from a righty who shoots right and when I'm on defense I find myself wanting to switch hands because I might as well have a riding crop in my left hand

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

I don't think any Leafs fan has a problem with the minutes or opportunity being given to the Leafs young players.

The guys that are on the fringes are all marginal players to begin with, and while we'll split hairs over them all day long it's outright false to say that Babcock isn't giving young guys opportunity.

No one said this? I said that he did that in Detroit, like Blashill is currently doing, but he's not doing it in Toronto and Blashill didn't do stuff like that at WMU or in GR so find the common link hint: it's Holland

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

Kick Justin Abdelkader Out

Also Kick Ken Holland Out

:same:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

hifi posted:

they are all really stupid

Terrible take

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fire Holland

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Blashill said that starting tonight, Larkin should be playing center all but permanently which is nice. Hopefully he can close out strong and we can get a nice look at the future of his wasted youth on this poo poo sandwich of a team that's going to lose to the loving Avs and it won't cost Ken Holland his job

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fire Holland yesterday

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm fine with good teams meeting early, it makes for more interesting series early on.

I say this as a fan of a team that is decidedly Not Good though

I think once the initial burst of HOCKEY ALL THE TIME EVERY NIGHT YEAH YEAH YEAH of the first round wears off, it becomes much more advantageous for the league from a business stand point, and us as fans from an entrainment standpoint, to see the better teams play later in the playoffs when there's only one game on a night

This accomplishes the literal exact opposite and is just another in a long line of decisions this league has made to fix something that wasn't broken and actively getting in its own way

We get to see a fun exciting Caps/Pens/Jackets first round series when there's 4 other games on that night to watch, at the expense of a loving Pittsburgh/Ottawa ECF snoozefest as the only game every other night :waycool:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 18, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The Rangers are infinitely more boring to watch than Ottawa or Montreal

yeah only when hank sucks and the rangers need to turn a 2.5 gpg offense into a 5 gpg offense purely by luck to compensate

oh wait

:getin:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Gotta admit the leafs are pretty likable rn

I move to make this a bannable offense

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'd love to see the leafs play Ottawa in the playoffs again

so they can avoid the Metro div

I too would like this so that a Canadian team is guaranteed to lose

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

VJeff posted:

N: Wings gonna gently caress themselves out of a good draft spot.
V: Kill me.

y'all are fuckin dumb if you didn't think this was gonna happen. Enjoy the ride to 10th place.

LumpyGumby posted:

I yearn for death.

please don't steal my gimmick

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I thank you for your support in these trying times

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Detroit Red Wings Are Going To Win The Draft Lottery

might as well jump in on this shitposting and run it into the ground

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Also when you're talking about the Coyotes and you realize you'd still take their organizational depth over the Devils. Is there a team with a worse future than New Jersey? Maybe Vancouver if the Devils manage to stay in the top 3 this draft?

The Detroit Red Wings Hockey Club

Larkin is good, Mantha looks decent, AA could be decent, and Svechinkov might be something, but their cap situation is completely wrecked until like 2023 and otherwise their pipeline is completely barren, especially on defense. They'll also very likely not be bad enough to get a top-3 pick until Larkin is like 24 and already squarely in his prime instead of getting them now like they should be when he's 20 so that there's actually a team already around him when his RFA years are over.

This team is so royally hosed fire holland

e: As a Devils fan, you're currently living through what the Wings' next decade is going to be.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

fire holland

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

They'll finally shut up about it now.

lol if you don't think that the team with the longest active streak every year won't get compared to them at random points during the season and during every single playoff game until someone breaks it or the world ends

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

yeah but i'll probably won't hear about it during this year's playoffs so i'm good!

hahahahahaha you're kidding right? Instead of it just getting talked about during the Wings inevitable 5 game exit, it's going to get talked about during every single game 2017 NHL PLAYOFFS PRESENTED BY: THE STREAK: IN MEMORIAM

AsInHowe posted:

The Red Wings playoff streak is over. Just got confirmation from the family

:vince:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 29, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ah cool so I can look forward to everyone liking the wings when they make the playoffs in 2030 for the first time since larkin and svechnikov carried holland's bloated corpse of a roster to a 8-seed cup o tea in 2021

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

He's been getting about 2 breakaways a game lately and he either tries to go top shelf and misses completely or biffs it right into the leg pad.

The Michael Grabner Experience

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Malkin never fights

Except unprompted with 10 seconds left in a Stanley Cup Final blowout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004