Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Mahoning posted:

I'm so loving jacked for my Zelda machine.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I am going to buy all the Switch games but not because I want to play them.

I want to eat them.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Louisgod posted:

Everything I'm reading suggests people are having no problem getting the console if they wander in when the store opens.

Love how the ARTIFICIAL SCARCITY crowd is all crickets right now, pretty clear Nintendo isn't in the business of losing business

I just tried to wander into a Target that said they have stock online but alas, sold out.

I'll just have to order one online in like a week or two, the horror.

Really glad the only scarcity seems to have been in preorders, as someone who was in the artificial scarcity camp.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Feenix posted:

TRacker told me blue and neon on Amazon. Just ordered. Monday.

GO GO GO,

You're the man (woman?), just got it with delivery for Monday. :toot:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Feenix posted:

I'm a man, baby, yeah....

Or a Man-baby, yeah...

Now if I could only get Zelda from Amazon for that sweet discount. :\

Ok, so check it... I want Zelda, natch. What other game should I get where myself and my (very smart) 4 year old boy could have a poo poo ton of fun.

poo poo, do they not have BoTW on Prime? I open palm slammed order before even looking at games.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Feenix posted:

It says they do and then you click it and it says its no longer available and to choose another method. And I can download it from them, I suppose, but no discount on digital, right?'

:negative:

Yeah, but no discount, and BoTW is kind of big for digital given the Switch's internal memory. I want to save the space for other games, but I guess maybe I'll suck it up and buy a memory card and go all digital. Going to have to buy one eventually anyways.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Harrow posted:

I do wonder when stores will have Switches available again--like, whether we're talking weeks or months. I know I'm going to want a Switch eventually, so I'm tempted to wait to play Zelda until I get it if it's only going to be a couple weeks to a month. At the same time, I don't know how Nintendo's doing things this time and maybe they're just going to drip-feed out consoles for a while so as not to produce more supply than there's demand for? I dunno.

Seems like probably a matter of weeks based on the sudden Amazon availability, store stocks, etc.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Feenix posted:

It says they do and then you click it and it says its no longer available and to choose another method. And I can download it from them, I suppose, but no discount on digital, right?'

FYI BoTW is back on Amazon as a physical copy.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm not trying to be a jerk but you sound alot like what I used to debate in my head anytime I desperately wanted a new video fame. I've learned how I work and I don't try to convince myself otherwise when I really really want a new video game. Be responsible. If you can afford it and want it just go buy it.

I still do this because video games are expensive and ultimately a waste of time and money. My strategy is to put off game purchases (and other superfluous purchases for that matter) for a bit, and if I'm still thinking about it after a few days to just buy it, so long as the purchase wouldn't cause me to defer payments to a retirement account or whatever.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So, how bad is Bomberman?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Grimes posted:

Careful sliding the switch in the dock, I guess, or get a screen protector. Why did they make the screen plastic?

Plastic screen is pretty dumb, yikes.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

lelandjs posted:

I loving love that a lot of indie PC games are coming to the Switch because I love portable hardware. I played the entirety of The Talos Principle on my phone clipped into a bluetooth controller, which was streaming the game via Moonlight from my gaming PC.

I'm unreasonably excited for mobile Stardew Valley.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Went to check my mail for the BOTW PDP headphones and the UPS truck was in front of my house with lots of scanning/beeping inside. The driver handed me this stack exactly as is and I had to kick my door until my wife opened so I didn't drop anything. Her reaction was "what the gently caress, how much did you spend?!?"

Edit: unboxed

That's a lot of amiibos.

Which uh...what do amiibos do, anyways? I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Loopoo posted:

Dunno how you guys have the balls to ever let other people touch your Switch. I ain't letting no one touch my controllers until I've got spares later on in the year. I'd just be hyper-vigilant over everything cause I'd be so scared they'd break it with their Shrek-tier coordination and finesse.

source your quotes please

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Cartoon Man posted:

Just installed the Goon reccomended glass shield:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3ASPNV/

Seriously, this should be a mandatory purchase for all Switch owners. No longer worried about dock scratching.

Does it look OK on the screen? I hate protectors, but this dock issue has me paranoid.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Linx posted:

How was the installation? I loving hate installing screen protectors with a passion

That's actually not bad.

Ugh, I'm going to have to put a screen protector on my Switch. Why, Nintendo. :negative:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So is there a goon approved power bank for this thing? Looking at a few of longish flights in the next few months without a/c power (economy class :argh:), and would love to Switch on the plane.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Tender Bender posted:

There are some that people kind of recommend based on theorycrafting from the design specs, as well as some anecdotal testing in a few reviews, but I don't think there's been time for the community to really suss out what's your best bet. Early speculation is that even the best ones out there might not give you more than a trickle charge, and will possibly even just slow but not halt the battery drain if you use them while actively playing. I'd wait a few weeks if you can to see what people report what works (and if any are unsafe!). There are a bunch of viable ones with Prime two day shipping so you can wait pretty close to the deadline.

Also, many planes have power ports in all classes now (source, I fly a loving ton). Problem is it completely varies based on what type of plane your flight uses. I also don't know if those ports are really full power or some half charge or something; they work for my phone and 3ds at least.

That makes sense, thanks!

Sadly my trans-atlantic flight is on the one type of plane that doesn't have power in economy class on British Airways.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm afraid of going into the Zelda thread because of spoilers.

If you haven't yet, go and try to rush the castle.
Goddamn.

I caved and started reading it, people are actually being really good about spoiler tags but ymmv.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Wow, this is a nice little piece of hardware.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Handheld mode is great, Zelda is incredible, Joycons are really neat (and totally fine for 2 player games), Snipper Clips couch co-op is fantastic. If Nintendo can keep a steady stream of excellent first party games and fun indie stuff coming, this is going to be an amazing system.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

The upcoming release schedule is pretty good so far so... :shrug:

That being said, I haven't owned a Nintendo console for the better part of a decade, so WiiU re-releases + Splatoon 2 + virtual console is more than enough for me.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
e: wrong thread

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

I carpet bagged my way into that thread for Rusty. :thumbsup:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
e: wrong thread

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
As someone who never played the first one, I like Splatoon 2 a lot, but gyro controls are terrible in handheld mode.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Wendell posted:

I feel like the roller is for dumb people who can't aim well, but want to feel useful somehow. So I liked it a lot!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I can't play most of the Testfire times this weekend, and it doesn't come December 29th?!

:negative:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wherever you saw December 29th is a placeholder date. It comes out this Summer.

Lmao at Nintendo releasing a tentpole game a few days after Christmas.

🙌

Heck yes, I thought it was crazy that it was scheduled for release post-Christmas.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Beastie posted:

It's magical. It never ceases to amaze me, and to think it's only going to get better. Every time I undock it I feel the power.

The Nintendo Power.

:same: except I never dock it

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

At this point I'm happier with Nintendo making games that are fun and smooth, if cartoony, because that is what they are good at. Leave the games that render every hair follicle to the other consoles, because nine times out of ten those hyper-detailed games suffer from garbage gameplay.

Arms is a ton of fun. Only played in handheld mode without motion controls, but I liked it a lot. The 2v2 mode is too hectic, though - it really shines in 1v1, where things are a more strategic. That said, I only played it for like 40 minutes, so 2v2 might feel better with more play time. :shrug:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Gimbal lock posted:

ehhhh I'm going to wait for Splatoon. ARMS ain't my bag.

I'm going to buy both, because both are cool and good, but different.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Kashuno posted:

hot take: ARMS will be liked by people who like ARMS and disliked by people who don't like ARMS.

huge if true

I tried the Arms motion control using the proxy trick, and the handheld controls are definitely easier to control. The motion controls were nice and responsive, though, and I can see them being a ton of fun for couch play. If you formed your opinion using the motion controls, I would definitely give handheld mode or the pro controller a shot.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

MarcusSA posted:

So I am traveling to Europe on Friday and I want to take my switch for the flight but I really don't want to have to put it in my checked luggage on the way back. What are the odds that they are going to change it in the next week so I have to check it?

:confused:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Not a Children posted:

For $20 a year that's more than adequate

For continual access to a large NES/SNES/N64 catalog? I'd gladly pay $100 a year

:same: but like $20/month

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So Super Mario Odyssey was influenced by BotW, right? Because this looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've been seeing this bounced around cause of the app on your phone that'll be needed to chat on the Switch and I really hope something like this gets made now

So everyone is just going to use Discord instead of whatever Nintendo offers, right? Since you need a phone either way.

• Locked thread