Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PirateBob posted:

Mid June: WTF. I never liked Yusuke. This forced introduction of him annoys me. I didn't want him in the Phantom Thieves, and I definitely didn't want him living with me in my cafe. :mad: Maybe I'll grow to like his snobby art loving rear end in time, but still. Anyone else annoyed by this?

We've found it. The worst post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

ENOUGH. the official persona party member list, from best to worst, begins HERE.

not counting persona 1 because that game sucked.

BEST TIER
Baofu
Makoto
Eikichi
Maya
Akechi

GREAT TIER
Lisa
Yusuke
Ulala
Yukari
Ryuji
Yosuke
Futaba
Jun

GOOD TIER
Junpei
Rise
Katsuya
Shinjiro
Yukino
Tatsuya
Haru
Mitsuru

MEH TIER
Koromaru
Ann
Naoto
Teddie
Aigis
Morgana
Ken
Yukiko
Chie

BAD TIER
Kanji
Metis

WHO TIER
Fuuka
Akihiko
Eriko
Kei

I am astonished that someone other than me likes Yosuke.

But you like Marie so we still gotta fight to the death

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I'm starting Palace 6 now. Some questions/thoughts:

Is the MC supposed to be more powerful than the rest of my team combined? Even before finishing Strength's social link I felt dramatically more powerful than my teammates, and now it's just absurd. Everyone else exists to either re-apply Tetraja, debuff enemies/buff MC, or exploit an elemental weakness. Their damage output is minimal, comparatively speaking. Is that normal? Everyone's equipment is up to date, everyone's around level 51, but my whole game revolves around the MC. I beat Persona 4 a looooong time ago, but I honestly don't remember that ever happening - where MC was the only party member who seemed to matter.

Makoto is the best character besides MC, and Yusuke is close behind. Haru is okay, if a little vanilla; Morgana is a good mascot character; Ryuji is a loving dick; Ann is boring as hell. I think I preferred Persona 4's cast to Persona 5's, but it's a narrow margin, and I like Makoto and Yusuke more than anyone from P4. I liked Ryuji a lot until he was pointlessly cruel to Morgana; it made me wonder if the writers just expected you not to care, but he genuinely kinda sucks in his treatment of the Best Cat, so it really sunk his stock for me.

I thought it would be too obvious for Akechi to be outed as the traitor, but there's no other logical outcome. He doesn't even have any upcoming abilities for leveling his social link; there's no loving way he even lasts past Palace 6. Either he's the traitor, or the traitor is going to kill him, and either way, gently caress Akechi. He's so obviously duplicitous that it defies belief. All it took was hearing his treatment of Makoto during the run-up to Palace 3 to know he's a two-faced little poo poo.

Best MC line choice: "I'm a dad." Runner-up: "We hate the cops."

Trust me, you're still going to be surprised.

Dryzen posted:

yosuke was very popular in japan if I remember right

gently caress I clearly had the wrong opinion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zore posted:

Yosuke is good because he's a dumb idiot with a lot of flaws who owns up to it and makes an effort to better himself.

Yeah that's more or less my take.

Junpei is the worst Junpei though. God I cannot stand Junpei.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wait what the gently caress Kanji is in the BAD TIER in that list

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Endgame spoilers: gearing up for what certainly seems to be the final boss, and it kinda seems like Personas at or above level 78~80 aren't very easy to get. I've managed to get a couple like Vishnu and Raphael,
but there's not much else that I can fuse up with who I can recruit nearby - I still get options like Futsunushi, and none of the interesting ones like Satan or Lucifer. And anything that is available around that level cap point requires a lot of money to get, which is in short supply cause duh final dungeon. What's the best way to break the "level cap" by this point?

Did you not max the Strength Social Link? Doing so lets you fuse above your level.

As for getting money and exp:

Farm the final two red shadows just before the finale over and over again. It's easy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Well yeah, that's the money issue I mentioned. The last two shadows do drop a good 10k yen and exp,
so I'm grinding them for now, but that's a temporary measure. I wonder if you're ever supposed to fuse up Personas like Lucifer, Helel, Satan, and Satanael (I know about that one) without max Strength?

It's 20k if you levelled the Star SLink and kill them in one turn via ambush.

I hit level 87 grinding those two shadows for about 40 minutes, went into the final boss and stomped his rear end flat with Lucifer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Might as well. Wish the leveling went all the way to 99, but I guess I expected some grinding to happen. I'll grind them out (still annoyed that Kali doesn't have any weaknesses I can easily exploit).

You could go all the way to 99, I just couldn't be bothered. :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TheFireMagi posted:

So... sacrifices- so... sacrifices- so... sacrifices-

My favorite is

End game spoilers
Lavenza's poo poo eating "Had a change of heart?" :smugdog:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I know for a fact that one Flu Season period starts around 12/8, because I'm currently trying to beat every videogame before reloading to 12/5

Although I still have no idea where to get Liquid Mercury, and I need them to make the stupid lockpick I no longer give a gently caress about

trophies

Not quite. There's several Flu Season days in November as well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

darealkooky posted:

Guess it's my turn to be insanely offended by a joke b/c (post palace 7) ryuji almost dies saving everyone in a cool rear end moment & his reward is to get knocked the gently caress out in a 4v1 curb stomp and left behind as everyone walks away to celebrate. that's a real dick move

Is joke. Maybe be less uptight da?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

I They only need that one option

Agreed. Yusuke has a innate predisposition to JoJo pose I mean what more do you really want in a pretty artboy?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bewilderment posted:

70 hours into this game I discovered that the 'make thief tools' menu where you make lockpicks and stealthanols (as if you would ever) has multiple tabs and there are a whole bunch of different thief tools.

WHAT

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jesus Christ.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm in early September and I really wish the protag could just quietly take Ryuji aside for a moment and tell him that if he keeps bagging on my cat then he's going to get a Garudyne enema. Seriously, this crosses over from playful ribbing into genuine cruelty.

Morgana's also a huge dick to Ryuji.

Trouble is their mutual antagonism eventually strikes a genuine nerve and Ryuji doesn't get that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Re Futaba:

Agoraphobia doesn't really make sense for how well she transitions out of her funk.

I don't know why anyone isn't going for the more obvious answer of "severely traumatized".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

He also has a tendency to hyper focus on things of interest to him and completely ignore everything else.

That said I'm not a psychologist so I don't think I'm qualified to diagnose fictional characters with magical powers.

On the other hand, Yusuke tends to be second in empathy only to Ann when serious Phantom Thief business is being discussed and is usually the first to consider the ramifications of their actions and popularity

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TheFireMagi posted:

Jeez, Haru asking in Mementos "Why is it that I feel a shred of excitement whenever the Shadows plead for their lives?" God drat, girl. :black101:

One of Haru's grenade launchers is called the Town Burner

Do not trust her innocent exterior :catstare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Valentine's Day spoilers https://youtu.be/BgW41uwP8co?t=1m24s

Don't cheat on Haru.

The menace in "Before I crush it" is very good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Ok, that's hilarious. Just goes to show that Sojiro's got your back.

Glancing at Ryuji's text before slumping over was the part that got me from amused to laughing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Scorps posted:

Well I'm just about to start Palace 5 and I'm not looking forward to it based on most of the posts here, although I did spend 3 straight hours in Memento's on my last play session so I can't imagine it will be worse than that. Also gently caress that Shadow Fukurai memento boss who Brain jacks your whole party and then somehow can 1 shot me. I was overleveled for like all the other bosses of Mementos but this fucker killed me like 25 times before I finally got some RNG that wasn't extreme bullshit. Only 1 party member could cure the brainwash so it was basically a loss anytime Makoto got converted unless one of the other S-Link status heal things procced on her.

One question though I'm nearing the end of the Temperance S-link and from what I can tell it looks like in order to max it I have to go the romantic option right? Does this mean that if I wanted to waifu only one other girl (Makoto) that I can't anymore? If so I'll probably just go harem at this point. I just can't exactly tell if I can get the free evenings after palaces without being romantic with her.

It is never mandatory to go romantic to max a Social Link.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nothing about Aigis owned.

What a bad character.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I met Aigis and thought "Oh I know where this character arc is going" and then, sadly, I was right. Bland generic robot "beep boop what is love" story combined with a doofy looking character design.

I NEED YOUR HALP

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

aigis is cute and gay so shes okay by me

The menace of bi-erasure comes to this thread once again :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

geri_khan posted:

Are there any decent human beings streaming this game?
I'm having troubles finding one. Everyone's been a real shithead so far.

Yes.

Also, that's kinda the point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oh haha I thought he was talking about shitheaded CHARACTERS. The post resembled a lot of similar posts we got before.

Non-awful streamers would be news to me though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Goro Akechi is the most unctuous little poo poo who ever lived, I swear to God.

Doesn't it make you just want to beat him with leadpipes and 2x4s? :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

Makoto wants to be a cop, though

All the better to destroy them from within

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

implying things freaking owns 'cause it means the audience can take those implications in whatever direction they want, which is more interesting than being able to parrot that persona 4 is a game about facing your true self, because the game has told you twenty-seven times that it's about facing your true self, so i guess it is (even tho it has several things that contradict that theme)

To be fair this is like the only part of Persona 3 that I would say is well executed. That game is a hot mess of great ideas that don't quite stick the landing or are poorly paced as hell. I do hate with a passion when JRPGs over exposit though.

Get it? Well executed?

MEMENTO MORI REMEMBER DAT ONE DAY U WILL DIE

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I agree. It's just that the rest of it is strong enough that it doesn't hurt the overall experience too much.

Still a flaw! Have more faith in your goddamn audience writers

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

Honestly the whole meme of Persona 3 being bad is kind of annoying. Like, yeah, it has a lot of problems and does a ton of things way worse than the games that came after it, but overall it's a pretty good game.

I like the idea of Persona 3 more than the actual game itself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I've never played any of these games and I'm only like 25% weeb, will I enjoy? I'm going traveling around for Golden Week soon so I was thinking about buying Persona 4 for Vita before I drop $60 on this.

Anime is bad.

And yet, this game is good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

How does dating in NG+ work? Can I date a girl who I already Rank 10'd and shot down?

It's a clean slate as far as plot decisions go. None of that poo poo ever happened.

You start social links from scratch. Though you retain some of their bonuses from special key items that carry over between playthroughs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dolash posted:

Just swinging in and looking at absolutely nothing to comment that (near the end spoilers) I spent basically the whole game thinking the writers were extremely sloppy at telegraphing their twists and were giving way too much away with Shido, the SIU director, how obvious it was you had started the game in Sae's palace and so on, then Akechi turns on you and I was genuinely caught off-guard. So, good job there!

R...really? That's the part that surprised you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It is kinda bizarre that they tied all the cool gun poo poo to a social link that only comes in at the tail end of the game.

You'd think you'd want the player to be hype way earlier about your new/returning game feature.