Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I just got this game, my only real experience with JRPG's is basically pokemon (which I realise doesn't entirely lineup with that descriptor) so I'm kind of fumbling my way through a little.

Is there any point to getting multiple personas of the same level? I've been going through the first palace and basically just got one of each type before I stopped bothering with that.

As for fusions, how concerned should I be with matching all that up with the confidants and the arcana burst thing? To be honest I still don't fully understand how all those systems tie in to each other. I went to do a fusion because I didn't really like the look of the blue-blob-hanging-out-in-a-giant-pot-demon and wanted the turtle with a dragon neck for a tail, but it came with a warning saying you won't get an extra move so I just left it for the moment. It also has a blue label that calls it a "chariot", which I accidentally discovered gave me extra points with Ryuji when we exercised together, but once again, I don't really know how that's supposed to tie in to everything and none of the other personas I currently have, have a label like that.

When you get to a "hold up" section in the fights, is it always better to get money/items than just going for an all out attack?

And so far the palace seems to be pretty easy, the only thing that's really given me any trouble was the Green Horses that can keep summoning more and even that wasn't too bad. I'm at level 9 now but how extra prepared should I be for the rest of the place and the impending boss battle? Will it start to ramp up pretty quickly? I'm on normal but lots of people mention how difficult they found the first palace.

Where do I sell the treasure stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Alright, thanks for the responses. I think I got it now.

All that aside, game is super cool, I love the music so much

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

many johnnys posted:

You'll want to get as many personas as you can, so you can fuse them into bigger ones.

If you have a confidant with the same Arcana, it gets an exp boost. So that message was just letting you know you didn't have the relevant confidant yet, so no bonus. Fusion still works fine. Higher level confidants yield more exp. Also, having the matching persona levels your confidants faster too! Like, if you have an Agathion (guy in the pot) or a Slime in your inventory, you rank up faster with Ryuji because they're the Chariot Arcana. You only need the persona the moment you choose to hang out, it gives bonus points when chilling.

All your personas are meant to be disposable, so fuse new dudes all you like! Even Arsene.

Fun fact, if you already got a persona once, you can skip negotiation. They'll be like "Can't we talk about this??" and you go NO and you just get them. So you can fill up on fusion fodder really easily.

Yeah, I think that there was something in my brain that the text explanations were unclear but as soon as I started actually doing it, everything made sense. Made it through Kamoshida's castle, had a hiccup where I got ambushed by the two succubus ladies because I was accidentally "hiding" on the wrong side of one of the distorted blocks. A confused Ryuji hosed us all up after that. I didn't realise that once Joker died you lost though, I thought it was once everybody died so I wasn't bothering to heal and just tried to burn them down as quickly as possible while Joker tanked his way through Ryuji's beatdown.

Is there ever a point where ranged weapons get stronger than melee or is it basically relegated to exploiting weaknesses?

Anyway, I seriously love this game. So much. It's sucked me in so completely, and in a way that hasn't happened since I reckon rock band did when me and all my friends were living in a share house together.

I also had a nice moment where I'd made myself some coffee and then as I sat down to have Joker make some more SP coffee for the next Castle run, he did so in the exact same setup that I have.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

many johnnys posted:

Both guns and weapons are just about useless. You should be using Persona skills pretty much exclusively.

Equipping better weapons will increase the power of your all-out-attack, making it a lil easier to do the all-out finishers. That's all they do. Persona Skills scale with the Persona's stats, your (or rather, your persona's) level, and their own skill-specific attack power. You mostly want to be exploiting weaknesses, but Physical-based or Gun-based Persona skills are good to use too. Instead of costing your valuable SP, they'll take a small percentage of your HP instead (which is easily healed). Ryuji's pretty good at these (a couple other characters get some good ones too).

One extra aspect of combat is using buffs/debuffs. They're really good in the SMT series. Early on you'll mostly want to rely on debuffing strong enemies using the -unda skills. Ann should have Tarunda which takes the bite out of the enemies' attacks, and you can get access to Rakunda (defense down) on your personas pretty easily. I usually avoid the -kaja buffing spells until I get the party-wide versions. If you haven't tried them yet, give them a shot against the next big nasty you run into. They cost a lil more SP so I save them for bosses and minibosses.

I leaned pretty heavily on melee during that first palace because I felt like it was too easy to burn through all your SP. I ended up doing the whole thing in two parts (not including the calling card section). I didn't really use any buff/debuff stuff until the final fight but even then I don't know how much it really affected the outcome. My typical strategy for these ones is to avoid that stuff entirely in favour of pure damage dealing, but I'll keep that in mind for later

screaden fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 16, 2017

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

SMT and by extension Persona is a series where buffs are incredibly powerful and worth your time.

The difference between an unbuffed and buffed attack is immediately tangible, you just weren't paying close enough attention.

You're right, but I'm definitely going to keep them in mind from now on.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Buffs and debuffs are really important in this game, and they work on anything. Particularly, using the Suku- series of accuracy/evasion buffs and debuffs can save your life; if you have Sukukaja active on your allies and Sukunda active on your foes, you might notice your foes whiffing their attacks and spells quite often. You don't have to spend turns or SP/item resources healing if you aren't taking damage!

Status effect moves are great in regular (and sometimes mini-boss) encounters as well; they actually tend to have a pretty high chance of landing on enemies that aren't weak to any elements, so consider them.

Also, when you get better ranks of moves and/or need to replace old skills on your teammates, it's almost always going to be better to discard weaker attacks if you're getting access to stronger ones. I used to think otherwise because I figured it'd be more SP efficient to use the weakest spells, but I was only screwing myself over.

I actually used the status effect stuff quite a bit, mostly Ann's sleep move, particularly with those 4 groups that pop up before the tower.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So Persona 5 has gone to my top 5 games, and I'm considering playing some of the other Persona/SMT games, but how hard is it to go back to those with what I'm assuming are some good quality of life changes introduced in 5? Or is it not that bad?

I've got a 3DS and I'm considering getting a vita to play P4

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

The Vita/PSTV version of 4, "The Golden", has most but not all of the same QoL fixes that 5 does. It's still a bit of a step backward but probably not enough to be a problem. The main thing you'll miss is 5's dungeon design.

3 and the original release of 4 are both going to be more of a struggle. Meanwhile the side games like Persona Q, the first two Persona games and the other SMT games are all so different that it's going to be hard to compare them.

I'm actually enjoying the mementos part of it so that shouldn't be too much of a hurdle.

How different are the SMT games? Mainly IV and Apocalypse because those are the most easily obtainable one's for me right now. The P5 battle system is one of the only turn based systems that's really grabbed me so more of that would be great, but part of what drew me to to P5 was the colourful cartoon Tokyo and the Roy Ayers on speed soundtrack which seems like it's the complete opposite of those SMT games.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Finally finished this game last night, I don't know what to do now. Final tally was 103:30 hours, 5 of that was probably spent idling while I went to do something else and couldn't save.

Thank god for Rangda though. Leant on it pretty heavily once I got it.

Also Akechi's voice actor is so unbelievably hate-able, every time he opened his mouth to say something in that overly polite lilting way I wanted to tell him to shut up and gently caress off.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

Personae that null/drain/repel phys are worth keeping for emergency cases even if they're several levels behind the rest of your roster. There are many enemies against which they make you functionally invincible, some of which are bosses.

This. Rangda got me through the last third of the game even though it was pretty significantly underleveled

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I don't think you ever have to pay the fine. I imagine it's to stop you getting hosed over by Morgana forcing you to go to sleep or other story fuckery preventing you from getting it back on time

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Quick question: I've consistently tried to get into the modern Personas (3, 4, 5) but get some sort of anxiety when it comes to social links and skills related to the idea that I'm not playing optimally or whatever. Currently trying to get over that, and I'm just wondering, on normal difficulty are they easy enough to just play how I want and not worry about min maxing poo poo? I find it a huge turn off when games are best played next to a guide, and I'd rather just get over my anxiety about it and just play how I want. I just want to make sure that this won't gently caress me over long term, because these games seem like a huge time commitment to get to the last dungeon only to have the rug pulled out from under you if you haven't managed to unlock everything or whatever.

Absolutely, I played P5 last year, which was my first Persona/SMT-style game ever and I think only maxed out 3 or 4? of the confidants (not including automatic story ones, I also thought I had way more time than I actually did based on the last couple of months so I spent a bunch of time getting the social stats up instead of hanging out with people) just based on which characters I liked and it never hampered my ability to complete and enjoy the game. You apparently can't really do absolutely everything until NG+ anyway so just play how you want.

I just played on normal difficulty, all that might change if you bump it up?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

One of the game's dirty little secrets is that, even without the top level of Mishima's confidant, you still don't need to worry about keeping party members rotated to have them stay relevant in levels.

The game has an EXP scaling system - the higher the difference in level between an enemy and a party member, the more/less EXP that party member will get, depending on which side the imbalance is weighing towards.

So even with the lowest level of EXP share from Mishima's confidant, this scaling will ensure that backup party members never fall too far behind - because if they do, the scaling will multiply what they earn anyway.

Does this still happen on the highest difficulty? Is it called merciless?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

P4 is the best out of the three games at framing the ways in which you miss out on days. In P5, the key element of annoyance is that Morgana is actively stopping you from doing something you want to do. The game gives you control of the character, then forces you to walk over to the bed, and if you try and go somewhere else like to hang out with friends, it's Morgana telling you not to do that. Why they didn't just skip the part where you're given the hope that you might get to go out in favor of just skipping to the next day is beyond me. The only time Persona 4 does this is on the very first night - if you watch the Giant Bomb P4 playthrough, Vinny examines like every single item in the room while Jeff reads the game's prompt of "You feel tired from the long trip, it would be best if you went to bed early today" progressively louder every time and louder until he's basically yelling. The thing that sticks out to me in retrospect is that they never do this again. Every time the game expects you to go to bed, it's because you have nothing else you could be doing. No job, no nighttime social links outside the house, no way to raise your stats at a coffee shop, you just...go to bed because you don't have anything else to do. Once you get those options, the game stops preventing you from doing things at night, even letting you do things on Midnight Channel nights. But, all the days you're forced to skip over are primarily in the beginning of the game where you've got nothing to do anyways, so you don't feel the same sense of missing out. P5, comparatively, lets you get outside and wander around very early in the game, and spreads the nights where you can't do anything much more evenly across the entire game, so you can never go too long without forgetting how annoying it is to be told to go to bed.

I think that is what makes it feel worse, the only possible reason I can think of them doing that is to give you a chance to save, weirdly I think it would be more annoying if it popped up with an option to save during each calendar transition

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yusuke is good and it's a crime how many people pin the whole nude modeling thing on him as being some sort of rapist when Akira and Ryuji are the real scumbags in that whole situation.

Agreed, but he was still overly pushy about getting it done and leaned too hard on the "you're so perfect, you must be my model" when she clearly wasn't interested, even if I believe, for Yusuke, there wasn't anything sexual behind it. Really none of them came off well being so close to the events with Kamoshida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So apparently the release date for Royal got moved to today here in Australia, don't know if it's retailers saying gently caress it or will end up being universal?