Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

KoB posted:

It might not be one to one but Japan also has a problem of dying small towns.

Yeah, pretty much all the same problems America has with unemployment and capitalism destroying small towns are problems Japan has too.

I feel like, with a good translator, Night in the Woods would do extremely well in Japan.

:3: the best romance to come out of Persona 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So...did anything get announced or nah?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Xad posted:

So...did anything get announced or nah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwJgwXBxIc

It's just an announcement for an announcement in March.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love announcements for announcements.

R huh?

Royale
Red
Rumble
Revengence
JokeR
Reloaded
Raunchy
???

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Ann's not even the worst offender of that.

IIRC, Rise in P4's bawling her eyes out and your options are to comfort her and kickstart a romantic relationship with her, or just leave the room.

Yeah. You get to feel amazing about yourself as you stand by, even more impassive than usual.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

a kitten posted:

I love announcements for announcements.

R huh?

Royale
Red
Rumble
Revengence
JokeR
Reloaded
Raunchy
???

Racing

Everyone's a bus and every track is in mementos

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Racing

Everyone's a bus and every track is in mementos

Is it wrong that I kind of want this? I mean everyone doesn't have to get a bus. Makoto has a bike persona. As the heiress of a fast food company, Haru clearly has her own ride ready...

Just got to think of some others...

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

You have Sojiro's car, a UFO for Futaba, Kamoshida's car, the one from the end of the game, a subway, etc.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ryuji can just put tiny tricycle wheels on to his persona's boat.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Morgana is a car.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

P4 and P5 Spoilers I guess
So I'm reading people freaking out about there being an Akechi Redemption Arc in P5R and I'm trying to remember my feelings on him when I played the game the oe time. I remember liking his voice and design and...that's about it.

He killed a handful of people that I recall and for that people want him to burn in some psychic Hell. Contrast with Adachi who is super popular and beloved. Then again, funnily enough, "The Killer" and main antagonist of P4 actually killed less people than Goro, didn't he?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 1, 2019

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The difference between Akechi and Adachi is player choice. Adachi’s social link was optional which meant it piqued the curiosity of players and made them want to know him better for whatever reason. That also meant that players just liked him more since they sought him out of their own free will.

Akechi on the other hand was hamfistedly foisted on the player, his SL is automatic which means players don’t get a choice on whether they can get to know him of not. Top it off with his story being absolute dogshit and Akechi ends up getting reviled.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Goro's crimes include being a knockoff-JOKER for two years, driving a train driver insane on duty and crashing it to kill two people riding it, killing parents of two party members, trying to make sure a wannabe-Char becomes prime minister, and being so hungry for attention that he tells the protagonist key parts of his troubled backstory when you hardly know him.

He is interesting enough to get people's attention, but the execution (heh) of his arc was mishandled.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 1, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

May wanna spoiler tag some of that stuff

A handful is putting it lightly, that's just what happens on-screen. He also causes the subway derailment that kills a loooot of people in the beginning of the game, and he also kills Futaba's mom years before the game happens. He also must be killing a ton of people in the duration that he's been working for Shido, not to mention all the blackmail evidence he's been gathering. So yeah, he's sort of beyond redemption imo. I think people like Adachi just because of how much of a 180 his arc is from his normal personality (imo Golden foreshadows his role as the killer too much). People like him for the same reason they like the Joker from Batman, not because he's redeemable but because he's a fun villain with an interesting personality. But yeah, Adachi actually only killed two people.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well if you say so, but it seemed like that ship sailed when we're talking about Goro instead of The Traitor.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MightyPretenders posted:

Well if you say so, but it seemed like that ship sailed when we're talking about Goro instead of The Traitor.

Yeah I started writing that response before you two even posted so it's a little late now, whoops

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MightyPretenders posted:

Goro's crimes include being a knockoff-JOKER for two years, driving a train driver insane on duty and crashing it to kill two people riding it, killing parents of two party members, trying to make sure a wannabe-Char becomes prime minister, and being so hungry for attention that he tells the protagonist key parts of his troubled backstory when you hardly know him.

He is interesting enough to get people's attention, but the execution (heh) of his arc was mishandled.

pretty much, akechi has a fairly sizable contingent of fans but most of them like him for what he could have been more than what he is (and also want him to put his mouth on joker's mouth because of course they do)

akechi amassed a high bodycount but in the end he was still a pissed off and disadvantaged child surrounded by the most horrible influences imaginable, whereas adachi was a grown man who attempted to rape a woman, killed her instead, and then after a bit of terror-vomit basically went "lol that owns" and tried to orchestrate the murder of numerous other people because he figured it'd be more interesting than cable tv

which one's more "evil" isn't a debate i'm willing to touch, but adachi is absolutely more loathsome

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Adachi knows he's evil and that makes him a more fun antagonist. He doesn't regret what he did, he even enjoyed it. He's basically Kefka - a much more clear "villain" than Goro, who just did a bunch of bad poo poo for misguided reasons then got killed offscreen before his character could be resolved. I think killing him might have been a necessity on part of the writing team since they thought Joker's party would have no reason to forgive him, and it also makes Shido seem like a bigger threat if he was able to take down Akechi.

Also all this talk of Jokers makes me want a modernized version of P2 because that game has a really cool story to it but god drat is it bad to play

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stumpus posted:

There honestly was no bad theme for me. It's also hard for me to pick the best. But I think im really partial to the ending credits song.

Mementos.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Adachi knows he's evil and that makes him a more fun antagonist. He doesn't regret what he did, he even enjoyed it. He's basically Kefka - a much more clear "villain" than Goro, who just did a bunch of bad poo poo for misguided reasons then got killed offscreen before his character could be resolved. I think killing him might have been a necessity on part of the writing team since they thought Joker's party would have no reason to forgive him, and it also makes Shido seem like a bigger threat if he was able to take down Akechi.

Also all this talk of Jokers makes me want a modernized version of P2 because that game has a really cool story to it but god drat is it bad to play

I played it for the first time this last week, the PSP version isn't THAT unplayable.

Sadly there's no NA version of Eternal Punishment for PSP.

Incidentally, playing Persona 2 and 3 definitely highlights how the biggest flaw of the P5 cast is the lack of growth in the characters, imo. They're a fun bunch but they don't exactly change much.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

my mate Morgana

Congratulations on being one of three people to like Morgana. :v:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Finished in 101 hours and 1 minute. A bittersweet ending. At least Morgana is coming with me :unsmith:

Yeah I’ll definitely have to do some things differently if I go through a NG+; I never interacted with the fortune teller or politician. I’m curious to see what other relationships are like if I pursue them a bit differently. Great game overall!

If P5 is bittersweeet hoo boy, you should try Innocent Sin or Persona 3. :v:

Epi Lepi posted:

loving same. Morgana is rude as hell to my true best bro forever Ryugi and should pay for it.

The worst part is he's such a prick for no reason. Go back and play Kamoshida's palace; Ryuji is a bit slow on the uptake there and Morgana just rails on him for no reason whatsoever, even if you're asking very similar questions.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Go ahead and toss P3 on that pile, lest we forget the transphobic "comedy" scene that occurs at the beach. Man, it's kind of depressing that Persona 3, 4, and 5 all have at least one (if not more) Gay/trans panic scene played for comedy. Here's hoping that terrible streak is finally broken in Persona 6.

Anyway, I'm not sure you have to wait ten years to know how Persona 3/4/5 will be remembered, I'm pretty sure it'll be the same "The games are engaging and interesting, but anything having to do with gender and sexuality will be extremely outdated and vaguely unpleasant which sucks because there's a lot of it" that it is now.

Which, honestly, is for the best. There are so many old movies and tv shows that I loved at the time that I go back and watch and think "Dear God, I can't believe poo poo like this was ever socially acceptable. I'm so glad that we've moved on as a society".

In P3P you can lesbian kiss a robot girl and P4 got as far as having voice lines recorded for what sounded like a Yosuke romance. Go figure.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Dumb personal opinion but Chie actually has pretty good romance scenes. Rise is okay. Naoto is eh. Yukiko is forgettable.

I thought Naoto's was the best. Chie was hampered by being tied to Yukiko, the least interesting character.

Xad posted:

I dated Ann because P5 was the first Persona game I played so I didn't realize that choosing to hug my friend who was clearly having a bad time and needed some comfort meant "We're dating now"

But then I realized that that ruins all of Morgana's hopes and dreams so I was fine with it

That kinda caused a problem for a lot of people in P3, too. When Yukari is broken up during the trip to the beach you can basically say "man that sucks" or hug her, and the second one reverses the social link because it's considered waaaay too handsy for platonic friends.

Utgardaloki posted:

gently caress do i know though, i stuck by my maid/prostitute/teacher

The only scene that I liked in the p5 anime was Kawakami offering Joker :pervert:special services:pervert:

Cut to a scene of her sitting at the laundry place. "what the hell."

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 1, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Akechi's greatest sin is looking like Light Yagami and therefore reminding me of a much more interesting character every time he opened his dumb mouth.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TwoPair posted:

Akechi's greatest sin is looking like Light Yagami and therefore reminding me of a much more interesting character every time he opened his dumb mouth.

In hindsight the fact that Light’s Japanese VA, Mamoru Miyano, is in P5 (as Ryuji) but _doesn’t_ play the guy who looks like Light seems kinda strange to me. Not that I don’t think Akechi’s VA did a bad job, but if you’re gonna emulate the look of a famous character and have said character’s original voice actor in the cast, why not pair the two up? :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I really don't have enough time these days to play P5 again, unless the remake does something really radical like...female protag with same-sex romance options. And we all know how unlikely that is.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
P4 and P5 spoilers:

Adachi is a way more interesting character because his motive is that he is stuck in a dead end job in the middle of nowhere and he thinks he's better than that so decides to rape and kill people because he's selfish. I think people can relate to him somewhat, he's Time from The Office except he has no empathy or respect for other people. At least his motive makes sense, unlike Akechi's plan of helping out his supervillain father because he hates him. I think you could make a compelling villain out of Akechi but he's so badly written he's just a joke.

CJ fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 1, 2019

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CJ posted:

Adachi is a way more interesting character because his motive is that he is stuck in a dead end job in the middle of nowhere and he thinks he's better than that so decides to rape and kill people because he's selfish. I think people can relate to him somewhat, he's Time from The Office except he has no empathy or respect for other people. At least his motive makes sense, unlike Akechi's plan of helping out his supervillain father because he hates him. I think you could make a compelling villain out of Akechi but he's so badly written he's just a joke.

This is a persona 4 spoiler, for anyone who might not be expecting persona 4 spoilers in this, the persona 5 thread.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EnQQ0HSINg

Persona 5 the Animation Dark Sun airs in Japan on Saturday. Persona 5 R is likely going to be shown off and is rumored to show up on Switch.

Not to bring hopes down but the big blue Playstation logo at the beginning of P5R's teaser begs to differ

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hunter Noventa posted:

I really don't have enough time these days to play P5 again, unless the remake does something really radical like...female protag with same-sex romance options. And we all know how unlikely that is.

I would put good money on there being a female protag with no same-sex in the (fairly) near future. Getting both is gonna be like... Persona 10 territory.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arrived yesterday :toot:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Arrived yesterday :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj5Kwa6D08s&t=1s

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

P4 and P5 Spoilers I guess
So I'm reading people freaking out about there being an Akechi Redemption Arc in P5R and I'm trying to remember my feelings on him when I played the game the oe time. I remember liking his voice and design and...that's about it.

He killed a handful of people that I recall and for that people want him to burn in some psychic Hell. Contrast with Adachi who is super popular and beloved. Then again, funnily enough, "The Killer" and main antagonist of P4 actually killed less people than Goro, didn't he?

I didn't and don't know anything about that rumor or if it is true, but Redemption would ruin Akechi. I say that as someone who likes rather than hates the character, or at least having him in the game (despite some lamentably bad writing in some of his motivations). At the risk of stating the I-hope-obvious, the dynamite in his last scene (and thus his arc) comes from the idea that your past/what-others-think-of-you/"true self" will catch up with you and stop you if you try to change from terrible to good. Weirdly, though as I said before I saw this metaphor literalized about twenty-two thousand times better around the same time I saw it in P5, I think it's only because I saw the true potential of the idea elsewhere that I really respect what the writers were going for in P5. It's the most potent statement Person's made, or tried to make, since P2, imo. If Akechi both lives and does so as a Redeemed/g...g...good guy, then poof that's all gone.

Or I guess they could go with he's just such an evil schemer he teamed up with Shido's cognition of himself to trick Joker and fake his own death in the Metaverse--yes, I'm sure I got that idea from someone on here over the many moons this thread's been around. That would be a funny joke and maybe a nice twist, but it wouldn't feel meaningful.

So yeah, Akechi dying in search of redemption he can't have, fine, good scene, should live with that easy. Akechi living as villain he always was, can live with that too, probably even easier. Akechi as redeemed good guy who lives on? Don't know about that one. Blech? No, too good a villain to waste that way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Persona 5R
Persona VR
Persona VR

Whooooaaaaa

triangular man
Feb 13, 2015

I originally beat the game when it came out and just started the NG+ with all my social niceties, guts, etc maxed so I'm hoping to finish all the social links this time :woop:

I skimmed the last couple of pages looking for someone talking about this but didn't see anything - I got some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket so thought it'd be good to get art book, but it doesn't seem available at all anymore. Like you can only get it off Amazon UK for ridiculous money when the Persona 4 one is still readily available for around £20-something.

Is it out of print now? Does anyone know if there'll be a reprint? Is ebay from Japanese sellers my best bet?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

triangular man posted:

I originally beat the game when it came out and just started the NG+ with all my social niceties, guts, etc maxed so I'm hoping to finish all the social links this time :woop:
:hfive: Same here, I felt like having a go at NG+ to see about maxing confidants and getting the books read etc. The one thing which was putting me off was the memories of the ship, but hopefully I'll be able to breeze through it.

I'm playing on normal, and while I don't want to cheese things with summoning high level personas from the compendium, I am running with my equipment from the original run. I finished the first dungeon last night, it was a breeze with better armour and mostly just using regular attacks. I still have the SP Adhesives on all party members though. :v:

triangular man
Feb 13, 2015

Nice one!

I find it pretty amazing that for something so story heavy, it doesn't feel like a chore to replay it again and I'm enjoying it hugely. Although after making that last post I realised that I hadn't, in fact, maxed guts yet and am now mildly stressing out about doing so. Not having to study for exams is pretty sweet though, sorry Ryuji, not studying with you tonight.

I knocked the difficulty up to hard and have slipped up and gotten Morgana killed a couple of times, even with the good equipment from my previous game. I also decided I'd use Personas that were around my level so as not to take the piss too much difficulty wise. I promptly scrapped that rule when I remembered I could just buy Matador :getin:

Probably not the best Persona but one of my favourites since his intro in Nocturne.

Also I really just wanted to say (late/end game spoiler) After wondering to myself so many times why they changed Igor's voice actor and how this new guy didn't sound right at all, finding out the reason has been one of my top :asoiaf: moments in a game to date. Just perfect.

Man, I just really like megaten games :kiddo:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Onomarchus posted:

I didn't and don't know anything about that rumor or if it is true, but Redemption would ruin Akechi. I say that as someone who likes rather than hates the character, or at least having him in the game (despite some lamentably bad writing in some of his motivations). At the risk of stating the I-hope-obvious, the dynamite in his last scene (and thus his arc) comes from the idea that your past/what-others-think-of-you/"true self" will catch up with you and stop you if you try to change from terrible to good. Weirdly, though as I said before I saw this metaphor literalized about twenty-two thousand times better around the same time I saw it in P5, I think it's only because I saw the true potential of the idea elsewhere that I really respect what the writers were going for in P5. It's the most potent statement Person's made, or tried to make, since P2, imo. If Akechi both lives and does so as a Redeemed/g...g...good guy, then poof that's all gone.

Or I guess they could go with he's just such an evil schemer he teamed up with Shido's cognition of himself to trick Joker and fake his own death in the Metaverse--yes, I'm sure I got that idea from someone on here over the many moons this thread's been around. That would be a funny joke and maybe a nice twist, but it wouldn't feel meaningful.

So yeah, Akechi dying in search of redemption he can't have, fine, good scene, should live with that easy. Akechi living as villain he always was, can live with that too, probably even easier. Akechi as redeemed good guy who lives on? Don't know about that one. Blech? No, too good a villain to waste that way.

I think it is actually a good test of Joker's desires. And how even Phantom Thieves were close to having their own desires distorted at some point without realizing. Ryuji wanting to assert his independence over authority but choosing to speak with his fists, Ann leaving her modelling career to rot for an acting career that didnt work while using Shiho as an excuse. Yusuke becoming an imitation fo Madarame with his own artist block after losing faith in his mentor and sees him solely for his faults (and of all the targets, Madarame and the female targets are the only ones who is mildly sympathetic) Makoto caught between living up to her sister's expectation of success while being absolutely street blind, Futaba's sucidal thoughts and blind anger at society that she nearly had her uncle arrested and Haru who cant makes up her mind on how to take control of her Father's company without destroying what they have built just to deal with a douchebag suitor. Joker was literally taking the freedom of others just so he can be free for a couple more months before trouble finds him again, every single time. The only reason why he has a free pass was his targets are evil greedy assholes who got in his way. Would you gladly stral Shiho's treasure just so she would take the fall and Joker isnt expelled?

Here instead of Akechi deciding to kill Joker, would offer him a way out in the remake. Sae's life for his freedom, no questions asked. But althe redemption has Joker realizing who was the true mastermind and gives Akechi an armor piercing question of their nature as Wild Cards, Joker realizing his targets are intentionally unsympathetic for him to justify controlling society. While Akechi's targets are innocent to prove that the world should have been destroyed so when it is remade he can wipe his hands of why he caused all those mental shutdowns and deciding to pursue the truth of Igor's false generosity. Remember Justice requires a balanced scale. Pursue fame too hard and he is just taking down the infamous for glory, pursue the heart too much and it becomes a cold blooded vendetta against society. You help balance one another scales and acheive your desires in a healthy manner. You want to be free and Akechi would want to know how Shido got down that path anyways.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hmm, I'll name my dude Ryuji, that sounds kinda japanese

huh.

(also this game is amazing, why did no one force me to play it when it came out)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

triangular man posted:

Nice one!

I find it pretty amazing that for something so story heavy, it doesn't feel like a chore to replay it again and I'm enjoying it hugely. Although after making that last post I realised that I hadn't, in fact, maxed guts yet and am now mildly stressing out about doing so. Not having to study for exams is pretty sweet though, sorry Ryuji, not studying with you tonight.

I knocked the difficulty up to hard and have slipped up and gotten Morgana killed a couple of times, even with the good equipment from my previous game. I also decided I'd use Personas that were around my level so as not to take the piss too much difficulty wise. I promptly scrapped that rule when I remembered I could just buy Matador :getin:

Probably not the best Persona but one of my favourites since his intro in Nocturne.

Also I really just wanted to say (late/end game spoiler) After wondering to myself so many times why they changed Igor's voice actor and how this new guy didn't sound right at all, finding out the reason has been one of my top :asoiaf: moments in a game to date. Just perfect.

Man, I just really like megaten games :kiddo:
I'm skipping the story for the most part, to be honest there's so much repetition in it that I'd fine it frustrating if I couldn't skip all the dialogue. :v:

I finished the 3rd Palace last night, I've maxed Ryuji and Ann so far. It's nice having all Mishima's benefits unlocked because you don't need to worry about rotating party members to keep people levelled up. I'm mostly just rolling with one team, maybe swapping people out to avoid weaknesses etc. Also it's great not having to worry about SP at all.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
One of the game's dirty little secrets is that, even without the top level of Mishima's confidant, you still don't need to worry about keeping party members rotated to have them stay relevant in levels.

The game has an EXP scaling system - the higher the difference in level between an enemy and a party member, the more/less EXP that party member will get, depending on which side the imbalance is weighing towards.

So even with the lowest level of EXP share from Mishima's confidant, this scaling will ensure that backup party members never fall too far behind - because if they do, the scaling will multiply what they earn anyway.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

One of the game's dirty little secrets is that, even without the top level of Mishima's confidant, you still don't need to worry about keeping party members rotated to have them stay relevant in levels.

The game has an EXP scaling system - the higher the difference in level between an enemy and a party member, the more/less EXP that party member will get, depending on which side the imbalance is weighing towards.

So even with the lowest level of EXP share from Mishima's confidant, this scaling will ensure that backup party members never fall too far behind - because if they do, the scaling will multiply what they earn anyway.

Does this still happen on the highest difficulty? Is it called merciless?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yes, but you still get less xp overall. Mishima's confidant is still good to have because it levels fast doing stuff you'll do anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

victrix posted:

Hmm, I'll name my dude Ryuji, that sounds kinda japanese

huh.

In Persona 4 I had the same thought with “Yosuke” :saddowns: