Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Found out the hard way that Endearing Soul and Final Guard will NOT trigger on reflect damage. As I hit the last boss with a super charged attack, only for it to reflect back and one shot the MC. I was so close to it being over too! augh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I preferred them to his Japanese vocal tic at least.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well that's that. Good game.

ending spoilers: It felt weird just how sharply Goro fell off. I was expecting something with him in the epilogue at least during your Confidant goodbyes, even just something like sae giving you his journal where he wrote about how he really wishes you two could be friends, or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

more ending spoilers. Are you able to get Satanael on ng+?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

I'm also glad Bless and Curse are actual damage types instead of two versions of insta-death.

That always felt like the dumbest thing.

I preferred the way Apocalypse handled it, by making Mudo and Hama just another flavor of damage spell, but if you were Smirking, it'd have the instant kill activate. I felt them fracturing it into a damage line AND an instant kill line was too much here.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Do I need to have fives in everything to 100% SLinks in a second round? Not sure how I wanna spend my remaining time.

Yeah.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Now that I beat the game I went back and youtubed some scenes and stuff to see the dub in action and so many of the voices sound so...off. Futaba sounds a bit too old and alot less enthusiastic, Ryuji just lacks the energy his JP counterpart has, and Joker's persona call outs are so boring. Makoto sounded great though.

big spoilers: And man, Goro's dub actor tries really hard, but his performance during his boss fight seriously does not even compare to his JP one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FauxLeather posted:

I've not heard the JP dub but I wouldn't say Ryuji lacked energy at all. His furious screams and shouts were some of the most hotblooded line deliveries in the whole dub for me.

Hrm, I'll admit lacks energy is probably a poor description, but like if you have them side by side, they're like on two different levels in terms of hotbloodedness. Which I mean, I don't think the dub cast did a lovely job but the JP cast seemed to get way more 'into it' overall.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I probably am underselling it, you're right! Goro's my favorite character in this game and I know that's obvious. He's killed and hurt many many people, there's no way like, around that. But I enjoy how much he's a reflection of the terrible side of society the Phantom Thieves are fighting against, someone who has took eighteen years of it to the chin versus the Protagonist's, like year total of it. It's a character route I was excited to see when they talked about the themes of Persona 5 and I'm glad they did it. buuuuuuuut

Now this is a bit of a deep dive I'm sorry, but I'm also a little bummed that one reading of Goro can be "Long term victims become just as bad as their oppressors" which yes, abuse can certainly be cyclical, though I feel that it runs counter in some ways to this game's positive theme of helping, trusting others and changing things for the better, where you just have to kill Goro and them he seemingly blinks out of everyone's memory forever and it's just "whatever gently caress that guy i guess, he wasn't really one of us". They left a lot up in the air with regards to Goro so there are def ways they can go with it, but some parts of his story bummed me out because I like on paper what he stands for. Like I'm not expecting for a full redemption, for a "we loved Goro hard enough and he didn't actually murder people" but just a better bow to tie on the whole thing I guess

That paragraph is a bad and all over the place sorry. Goro is bad and did terrible things but I still like Goro a whole bunch tho I stan for a Goro harder than I should probably.

It is extremely baffling that not only does he not even get his own cool theme (biggest sin imo) but he seriously does not come up at all afterwards, not even in passing. I also really liked Goro and it really sucks how poorly they fumbled the end of his plot

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Well dang, glad you told me.

Would've been frustrating to leave and come back only to get kicked out and have to burn a day later on.

That happened to me and even though it was just a single day lost I never stopped being annoyed about it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The beach scene in Golden was funnier than any scene in p5. hosed up, but factual.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

It would be weird for the antagonist of a social link to be a random NPc.

That didn't stop any of the others from being no portrait randos.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish you were stuck with dating one girl, or at least stuck with dating one party member (and could go all harem with the adults or whatever) because at least you could add a couple touches here and there based on it. Like having your GF sit next to you at the hideout, or an extra line after a scene, nothing even drastic, but it'd at least personalize the play through a bit more. I unno.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also ya'll talkin about how SJ had terrible maps should stay away from Apocolypse because the last dungeon there was like 10x worse than anything SJ could throw at you.

:whitewater:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Equipment overall has been pretty unimportant outside of armor and accessories.

Apocalypse had an abysmal final dungeon and it was far and away the worst part of it, jesus. I'm still pissed about it.

It was so bad and the music was so awful I wanted to cry the whole time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I maxed everyone out in my run except for Devil at 5 and fortune/lovers/empress at 1 and I don't really feel like I missed much.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

why would you neglect Empress?

Its a good link.

I never used Haru and prof 5 was the last stat I maxed so I didn't even bother to get it past 1.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Question about the final boss: So what was with those debuffs the arms kept putting on my dudes? As far as I could reason they didn't actually stop me from doing anything because those party members could still act without penalty. Like, Haru was inflicted with Lust but she was free to act like nothing happened, then it faded. I did kill the arms quick though, does something happen if I don't?

lust has a chance of skipping your turn, and jealousy makes the person sometimes attack Joker after someone else's turn. Dunno about wrath cuz nothing happened in the turn it was active for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

This never happened. Kanji's dub VA said some stuff, but that was stuff being told to him by the game's english voice director, not the people who wrote the game.

It was specifically on how he was told to voice Kanji's Shadow, iirc as well. So it makes even less sense to hold that as some sort of proof of his gayness given the entire point of his arc.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My fav thing regarding the Kanji issue is that awful Extra Credits youtube channel that's super popular that does hot takes on games did one about it and their take away was that Naoto was trans and Kanji was gay and if you disagree at all with their interpretation you're just a bigot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Nobody said those two guys are the only representation of homosexuality in the game, but they're the most prominent depictions of it considering they're the only ones that actually in main story scenes and are introduced when you go to the Gay District. That was the foot they were putting forward when it came to homos. It's totally fair to say that they're the game's main representation of it.

I love the one guys tiny hat and if they were just flaming and not the epic predatory gay stereotype and also had depth to them it woulda been FTW imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

As a gay trans person, EC is definitely in the wrong here.

*in stupid edited helium voice* Mayhaps you just have some growing up to do. :grin:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I need to replay Catherine, the last time I touched it was like the week it came out, but that reveal really just turned me off the cast who I thought were surprisingly okay for a group of dudes in their late 20s - early 30's.

Catherine was weird and cool?

Close friends can sometimes dunk on eachother, even on touchy subjects sometimes. Like Vincent makes one mean comment regarding womens sports to her or something and she responds by owning him back, which seemed pretty natural for close friends who have known eachother forever. Obviously that's not something you could joke about with everyone but it felt pretty realistic, to me at least.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

yeah, i think them loving with each other about it was fine, but a couple of scenes did kinda go to a weird place with it.

It was far from perfect, but I guess I'm, personally willing to give it a pass since it didn't feel like the gags came from a place of malice. But I think it's fine if people got uncomfortable with it obviously.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

cloud shoulda stayed a girl

e: kawakami was not ever a sex worker unless i completely missed something

I just felt them using Erica's gender as a way to goof on Toby felt like they still regarded Erica's gender a joke. Which again I barely remember the context for this scene so maybe I'm off, but that always left a super bad taste in my mouth that I'd like to reassess some day

It's been forever since I played so I could be wrong, but I thought they didn't want him getting with Erica, but didn't want to out her which is why they were all basically sucking air through their teeth everytime Toby made some weird rear end comment about wanting to bang her.

My interpretation was just that they all kinda just hoped their relationship would fizzle out without it fracturing their friend group. But maybe I just basically retroactively justified it in my head over the years. :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I would rather see him every morning as I wake up

*nods approvingly*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Regarding Haru: Did anyone else think it was weird that throughout the game you hear about the black masked metaverse user whos been loving around. And then you meet Haru...Who wears a black mask, and LITERALLY NO ONE COMMENTS ON IT? That entire introductory plot thread was awful in general and relied on characters being extremely stubborn but I found it really odd that no one even mentioned it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

they literally comment on it when she shows up? ryuji's like 'a black mask...? wait, is she our girl?' but then she stumbles over herself and morgana has to lead her along and they're like 'oh, no, nvm.'

Oh. Did they? It must have slipped my mind. Oops.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

They literally remark on her black mask the second she appears.

Then they discard the connection because she is immediately a goofus.

You weren't paying attention.

Yeah I went back and youtubed it and they totally do. I dunno how I missed that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

See, I'm going to defend that in 4 as a sheer moment of pure ludonarrative brilliance that elevates it as one of the most brilliant game endings of all time. They're all saying goodbye, and so are you. The journey is done. You've bonded with them, been to hell nad back, you've grown with them and they've grown with you, but now, its all over. You have to go. You can come back another time, but this will always be where your time together has to end. So the characters you've grown close to have to say their goodbyes to you, the player, as the credits roll and you sit back, off to a new place.

Its right up there with The Last Of Us as one of the single greatest game endings of all time simply because of how well it deconstructs the perfect way for an experience driven by relationships that need to end by the nature of the medium, can cease without it being a tragedy.
Now all I want is a Persona-Disney crossover where Huey Dewey and Louie become protagonists.

I don't think so, personally.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mishima is my friend and I didn't make fun of him even a single time. :angel:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto the whole game and I didn't have any issues.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

Wasting turns using SP healing items in combat doesn't seem like a great idea

It's useful in the last couple fights when you're spending like 40~ sp a turn on casters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Ah wasn't aware there was a spoiler thread already. People need to post their spoiler novels over there. Instead of 7 of the last 10 pages being completely black bars.

Yo, Captain Baal, put the spoiler thread link at the top of the OP.

Do you want people to only vaguely talk about mechanics with zero context at all here or something

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's goofy to expect people who are on like the 4th dungeon or w/e and want to talk about stuff that happened so far, to go to the free for all thread where people are talking about end game stuff openly. IMO.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RME posted:

actually lets talk about if law is evil or not in smt

Do not summon Tallgeese into this thread. It's bad enough already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Mid June: WTF. I never liked Yusuke. This forced introduction of him annoys me. I didn't want him in the Phantom Thieves, and I definitely didn't want him living with me in my cafe. :mad: Maybe I'll grow to like his snobby art loving rear end in time, but still. Anyone else annoyed by this?

Jesus Christ.